Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Web of Bissaka

Playing like a man.

So he could actually play on the LW, beautiful cross, decision makings and passes. We have too many attacking players that need that position though.

Definitely should be our starting RW from now on. It's a no brainer though.

Worried if we get a new expensive RW this upcoming summer, where is he going to play. Definitely shouldn't spend too many times on the bench.

FerociousCorgis

Don't know why people are so worried about signing a rw. It would leave us with 4 top players who can all play pretty much all the front 3 positions. Plenty of game time for that

Rolaholic

Don't know why people are so worried about signing a rw. It would leave us with 4 top players who can all play pretty much all the front 3 positions. Plenty of game time for that
Exactly, it's a mouthwatering prospect having 4 top notch attacking talents that can play interchangeably all under the age of 25 :drool::drool::drool::drool:

Even if Mason isn't the starter on right next season, he could seamlessly slot into the backup no.9 role after Ighalo's loan is up while still serving as an alternate at either side of the wings. We'll be competing in 4 different competitions so he'll have ample amounts of playing time.

We're talking about a squad where the likes of Lingard and Pereira have made 75 appearances between the 2 of them. He'd still have quite a good amount of chances even if someone like Sancho were to be brought in this summer.

SambaBoy

Signing a RW would be perfect for his development I feel. At the moment, our best front three is Martial, Greenwood and Rashford with James as back-up.

Firstly Greenwood is only 18, still learning and development. He's supremely talented and can hold his own but to rely on him as a first choice might put unnecessary pressure on him. He will get plenty of games being 4th choice behind a new RW/Rashford and Martial. By virtue of injuries alone, he will get games plus rotation and form throughout the season.

If we get an injury to Rashford/Martial/Greenwood next season, then our replacement is James and putting Rashford back up front most likely.

Barnslig

"A promise is a promise". Do we think this means more than just a send-off to Gomes, or is this just Greenwood paying respects to Gomes and wishing him all the best?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

"A promise is a promise". Do we think this means more than just a send-off to Gomes, or is this just Greenwood paying respects to Gomes and wishing him all the best?
100% just dedicated to Gomes, bunch of the other youth players also re-posted it with sad faces and all that, Gomes was clearly a key part of their group that it's sad to see him go.

Barnslig

100% just dedicated to Gomes, bunch of the other youth players also re-posted it with sad faces and all that, Gomes was clearly a key part of their group that it's sad to see him go.
Yeah, my initial thought as well when I saw the gesture, but the "promise is a promise" raised some questions for me, I know there's probably no chance for us to keep Angel at this point, but even if there's a sliver I hope him seing players like Greenwood playing really well and might reconsider staying?

Has a player ever left a club on a free, only to sign with that same club after their contract has run out? (ex. Gomes signs with us in a week or two after after having been a free agent for a short period)

United58

He’s starting to look a lot more so confident. You could tell he was playing it safe a lot in the first part of the season but now he’s just playing his game. He’s a sure thing to be a star.
He looked (and no disrespect to him) almost scared at times when he first started playing - he was only 17. Now he's starting to show the swagger he had at youth level :drool:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah, my initial thought as well when I saw the gesture, but the "promise is a promise" raised some questions for me, I know there's probably no chance for us to keep Angel at this point, but even if there's a sliver I hope him seing players like Greenwood playing really well and might reconsider staying?

Has a player ever left a club on a free, only to sign with that same club after their contract has run out? (ex. Gomes signs with us in a week or two after after having been a free agent for a short period)
Nah i think this is definitely a goodbye. Its sad but I 100% think its the right call from his point of view, guy wants to make the next step but theres not really a long term path for him with Bruno here at United. Also just don't think he's good for the premier league, but if he develops elsewhere then maybe he'll come back one day. Makes sense for him to leave now though.

Icemav

Greenwood is just too good not to be playing which is why I have a bit of apprehension with us spending huge money on Sancho. Rashford imo is also too good not to play. I'm not sure Martial is but he is the only one of the three currently you can play through the middle and get the best out of. He's also only played as a striker this season really so 19 goals isn't a bad return, particularly as he was injured for a few months and generally doesn't take the penalties.

Sancho obviously wouldn't play through the middle so I'm not sure where you fit him in. I think he's somewhat overated anyway. He's a very good young player but people forget how young he is and I don't think you automatically drop one of our front three for him. Doing well for Dortmund isn't the same as doing well for United. Greenwood is making playing for United look easy at 18, that really isn't something to risk curtailing. Look at the ball to Fernandes. He made it look simple. Most players would have fecked that up 90% of the time. With him you just expected him to either score or pick someone out.
Greenwood is a divine player. Even at 18. As you say there is a class to him which is just different. The comparisons to RVP are not misplaced.

However we cant run him into the ground and after him is James. Striker position seems fine with Martial and Igalho, and Greenwood can play there too, however another top wing option would be great for us even without injuries. Should we spend 120m on Sancho... no imo and as always I am sceptical of the hype and dortmund players. However i think we need a signing here and also a talented holding midfield who can do what Matic does.

Then our team will be looking scary good and fairly injury proof with players also able to be rested.

Barnslig

Nah i think this is definitely a goodbye. Its sad but I 100% think its the right call from his point of view, guy wants to make the next step but theres not really a long term path for him with Bruno here at United. Also just don't think he's good for the premier league, but if he develops elsewhere then maybe he'll come back one day. Makes sense for him to leave now though.
I agree with you, I think he'd be a decent backup in that creative role for rotation, but fair play to him if he believes he can do more at another club, and best wishes to him.

Anyways, this the Mason thread, my bad for going off-topic. What a game from our Mason though, absolute talisman and I hope we get to see so much more of him over the years.

Barnslig

Greenwood is a divine player. Even at 18. As you say there is a class to him which is just different. The comparisons to RVP are not misplaced.

However we cant run him into the ground and after him is James. Striker position seems fine with Martial and Igalho, and Greenwood can play there too, however another top wing option would be great for us even without injuries. Should we spend 120m on Sancho... no imo and as always I am sceptical of the hype and dortmund players. However i think we need a signing here and also a talented holding midfield who can do what Matic does.

Then our team will be looking scary good and fairly injury proof with players also able to be rested.
Getting a RW for next season is critical. Martial and Mason as our primary striker options next season, with Rashford as well, we have three players that are all able to rotate around in the front 3. If we have a limited budget for this transfer window, I'd personally prioritise a RW a head of a DM, I believe Matic, McTominay and Fred (and potentially Garner showing promise) should be reasonable cover at least until the january window if need be.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would much rather back Greenwood instead of spunking £100 million on Sancho. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood is the stuff of dreams if it works.
Nah, no team with genuinely high aspirations is content with that front three given Greenwood is just 18. Sancho despite his age has reached a very highly level already (at RW too) and for me those three plus Sancho completes our 'potential' frontline. At least for now.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
On Greenwood it's gotten the point where I expect him to score and assist. That's pretty incredible given his age. He just makes it all look so easy. Complete natural.

Icemav

Getting a RW for next season is critical. Martial and Mason as our primary striker options next season, with Rashford as well, we have three players that are all able to rotate around in the front 3. If we have a limited budget for this transfer window, I'd personally prioritise a RW a head of a DM, I believe Matic, McTominay and Fred (and potentially Garner showing promise) should be reasonable cover at least until the january window if need be.
If its either/or then I would go for an attacker and hope Brogba stay injury free and Matic rotatrd sensibly. We would have enough there as you say.

However we should have 2 players in us. But like always just depends who. Aside from Sancho I can only talk about the type of players we need - just not sure who exactly.

I also think it the right time to more on a lot of our squad. Never easy with our wages and especially in this market.

In Rainbows

One thing to note is how he scores his goals compared to Rashford's debut season. A lot of Rashford's goals were fox in the box type of goals. Greenwood has had like 8-9 goals where he hits the corner of the goals. Just exemplifies his ridiculous finishing ability.

Number32

Signing a RW would be perfect for his development I feel. At the moment, our best front three is Martial, Greenwood and Rashford with James as back-up.

Firstly Greenwood is only 18, still learning and development. He's supremely talented and can hold his own but to rely on him as a first choice might put unnecessary pressure on him. He will get plenty of games being 4th choice behind a new RW/Rashford and Martial. By virtue of injuries alone, he will get games plus rotation and form throughout the season.

If we get an injury to Rashford/Martial/Greenwood next season, then our replacement is James and putting Rashford back up front most likely.
We also have Chong, Ramazani, and Elanga as waiting list on RW/LW position, I don't think they are good enough to start but signing another wingers would eliminate their chance to get a first team experience.

Greenwood is a natural talent and could handle the pressure as starting RW so far. There is no guarantee any experience superstar would handle the pressure like him either, remember when we signed Sanchez and Dimaria to put pressure on them but failed? The more money we splash in the market, more pressure on any superstar to fulfill our expectation.

Giggsy was a 17 years old boy when he became a first-team regular, the talent is there, why can't we do it with Greenwood?

treble_winner

Like all of you, I'm happy with Greenwood's goal and his overall contribution.

But more over, I'm grateful that he shines at the time when we need it both on the field and off the field. If we believe in the press, we are still in a battle with Dortmund regarding the Sancho fee. With Greenwood's stellar performance on our right wing, our words on the negotiation table have more weight: "Listen. We know Sancho is a big talent but if you get too greedy all deals are off. We can play Greenwood there for the next 2 years if we need. Now, do you have 2 years? Can you afford to miss out on at least 50 millions in this day and age when you have no revenues from match-day fans? Let's not get too high on our horses right now, ok?"

Not counting Champions League football and sponsorship money, Greenwood's performance may save our club millions for the Sancho deal as well. We are not in a disadvantage against Dortmund. We got the upper hand on them with the economy state now.

LVGSdive

One thing to note is how he scores his goals compared to Rashford's debut season. A lot of Rashford's goals were fox in the box type of goals. Greenwood has had like 8-9 goals where he hits the corner of the goals. Just exemplifies his ridiculous finishing ability.
It's like having a 2 footed Harry Kane. Just always finds the bottom corner.

gregor

Is there a video of his turn on our half late in the second half, I think it was around 80. minute. It looked so slick to me. :drool:

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
As soon as he started running at that defender, i expected something to happen. I always expect him to get his shot off, he takes it so early.

Javi

"Listen. We know Sancho is a big talent but if you get too greedy all deals are off. We can play Greenwood there for the next 2 years if we need. Now, do you have 2 years? Can you afford to miss out on at least 50 millions in this day and age when you have no revenues from match-day fans? Let's not get too high on our horses right now, ok?"
Yeah, like there is no other potential buyer for Sancho out there.

MetoTTT

I think he’ll put Martial out the team and be our main #9 by the end of next season.
I'm praying for that...really.
Martial will have to do a lot more, will be competitive so it could be positive for him and for the team. We absolutely need quality competition at each position in the team.

slored1

When he gets the ball in the box you just know he's going to do something special. Much superior to Dan James for me.

UpWithRivers

Kid is just ridiculous. Im on the give him the RW spot and forget Sancho. Yes Sancho would be a great signing but now Im thinking our back ups are more of a priority than RW. For instance would you prefer something like Upamacano + Grealish or Sancho for similar money? What would help our team more? Then we can buy Brooks or someone cheapish to help out on the RW.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Kid is just ridiculous. Im on the give him the RW spot and forget Sancho. Yes Sancho would be a great signing but now Im thinking our back ups are more of a priority than RW. For instance would you prefer something like Upamacano + Grealish or Sancho for similar money? What would help our team more? Then we can buy Brooks or someone cheapish to help out on the RW.
I'm glad you mentioned backups being priority. So who's going to be back up to Greenwood as RW.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Don't think Sancho would affect his development one bit. Just look at how many minutes Mata, Lingard and Mata have had this season.
As someone mentioned earlier, once we sub a forward, the drop in quality is too big.
Also at 18, he doesn't have to start every game.

Jonno

For those saying who needs Sancho when we have Mason - would you rather have Sancho/Mason rotating or Mason/James? Needing a goal, I'd rather have that absolute assassin in Mason coming on to sniper a goal.

The answer is clear.

Another brilliant performance from Mason, his goal was absolutely top drawer, it was a cross between Ronaldo/Van Persie, absolutely breathtaking, defenders can't go near him as they don't know if he's going inside or out, so unpredictable. His assist for Bruno, well, what confidence to chip the ball across a whole defence into the path of Bruno, top class.

Clearly the most gifted player to come out of our ranks in 20 years.

RkkMan

We also have Chong, Ramazani, and Elanga as waiting list on RW/LW position, I don't think they are good enough to start but signing another wingers would eliminate their chance to get a first team experience.

Greenwood is a natural talent and could handle the pressure as starting RW so far. There is no guarantee any experience superstar would handle the pressure like him either, remember when we signed Sanchez and Dimaria to put pressure on them but failed? The more money we splash in the market, more pressure on any superstar to fulfill our expectation.

Giggsy was a 17 years old boy when he became a first-team regular, the talent is there, why can't we do it with Greenwood?
Ramazani is leaving if you aren`t aware and Chong/Elanga are FAR from ready to be relied upon as regular first teamers. Chong needs a loan and Elanga is still developing in the academy. Don`t talk like the ideal Glazer customer. A club our size needs competition for places Ole himself said it. Look at City`s depth thats what we should aspire to have. Not adding serious depth in attack will be going 2 steps forward and 4 steps back.

SSSSnake

It’s brilliant watching him drive at defenders. They don’t know whether to show him left or right! I’m so happy for his development right now. I wouldn’t worry about bringing another forward as we need four to rotate ideally. Right now Sancho would be in place of Rashford.

He is not the same player he was before lockdown. He is stronger and more confident. He would often look a bit nervous with a few flashes of direct play before and it made him look like a talented youngster. Now he's trying to make things happen every time he gets the ball and it looks like he belongs.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Nah, no team with genuinely high aspirations is content with that front three given Greenwood is just 18. Sancho despite his age has reached a very highly level already (at RW too) and for me those three plus Sancho completes our 'potential' frontline. At least for now.
Completely agree. It shouldn't be either or. If we can afford Sancho and he will come then brilliant.
But Greenwood is developing well and looks to have all the attributes of a top player.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
By some distance, the best player on the pitch last night for me. Absolutely nailed on talent he is.

I don’t share the sentiments of not pursuing Sancho though. I was very much in favour of not pursuing Haaland because of Greenwood though. A good manager, especially one with such a young squad, will always be planning short, medium and long term. I’ve always seen Mase as a future #9, and from the beginning of this season, I’ve always felt he’d be two seasons away from the job. Get Sancho in to cover the right wing, and leave Mason to perform the role he’s performed all season. By the time he’s 20, he’ll have a real fight with Martial for his #9 shirt.

Bratone

What's this base foot though ? He hits the ball so good with both feet that I can't even tell which one he prefers ... Is he left-footed or right-footed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.