Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
What a talent. Like any player, this could all go badly wrong, but the signs are very promising.

Ace of Spades

Good to see him get that goal, he deserved that. I hope that just settles him down now and he can play a bit more relaxed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Only thing is that RvP physically was a bit of beast in his later years, using body strength and close control to shield the ball. Greenwood will likely still grow and bulk up so who knows.
Hes 17 and has decent size to him tbh, can see him really developing physically but no need to go overboard. He doesnt seem overly thing like Chong though, who I cant ever see being bulky. Greenwood looks balanced physically.

Alabaster Codify7

Great to see him get that goal. I hope we see a lot of him this season even if its off the bench, we need to phase out the use of Mata and Lingard and Mason could be the boy to force both into a full-time squad player role.

Web of Bissaka

Good goal, finally his first of many I'm sure :drool: and few nice interlink plays. Oh and that clear+cross pass to James at the other end, damn!

Mainly invisible afterwards though unfortunately tbh.

This is his 4th game was it? That Cardiff game where he rampage pass by defenders is still his best.

manunited1919

What is his contract situation? We need to make sure other teams don’t come and poach this kid from us.

Bobski

More certain of this kid making it than any Utd youngster since the CO92. His emergence makes the Lukaku situation interesting, if we sell then going big on a top class striker as a replacement who has to play could stifle Greenwood's development. They have committed to Rashford so perhaps a budget option as back up is the way to go, someone who can be moved on, not on a massive wage.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
More certain of this kid making it than any Utd youngster since the CO92. His emergence makes the Lukaku situation interesting, if we sell then going big on a top class striker as a replacement who has to play could stifle Greenwood's development. They have committed to Rashford so perhaps a budget option as back up is the way to go, someone who can be moved on, not on a massive wage.
I don't disagree, which makes me wonder why we re not being linked with someone like Mandzukic instead of Everton being linked with him. I'd take him for a season.

manunited1919

We should keep Lukaku and start putting in Greenwood into the first team right away. We can always sell Lukaku in January or next summer.

Red00012

Dont even fecking dare to throw "aint ready" bullshit just due his age, give me to watch him any day of the week for United than some seniors.
Exactly this. But you’re going to hear it regardless.

jesperjaap

I've been reading the caf since Welbeck was breaking out as a teenager, and I've always got the vibe that academy kids are ridiculously overrated here before they actually break through to the first team. Whether it's Welbeck, Januzaj, Wilson, TFM or even Bortwick Jackson (I do recall some hype around him at left back under LVG). I want to see how he performs in the first team before placing any expectation on him.
That is the case at probably every premier league club though. Januzaj did look lik ebeing a very good player, just didnt have pace or the right attitude. As for the rest, never really rate any of them but I did think TFM had a chance of being a good centre back and hasnt had the chances, absolutely ruined and wasted as a full back.

Think we are right to get excited about Greenwood though, since the fledgling days only Pogba and Morrison have really really excited me, I think Greenwood is very close to the bracket and if we are not signing any other attacking players and Lukaku leaves I think he could certainly become a regular from the bench at the very least this season as performance wise what is there ahead of him, nobody has made the wide slots there own and Rashford is very hot and cold

jesperjaap

We shouldn't thrust Greenwood wide simply because the positions available. We did all the same with Martial / Rashford. But in my opinion Martial's best season was under LVG where similar to Henry he played centrally but drifted wide often, the stupidity of LVG to persistently use Rooney was a big issue.

I actually think that next season with regular playing time Grewnwood would eclipse Rashford. Notice the connotations in words that Solskjaer has used describing both mentioning Greenwood as a natural finisher / striker and that Ole has persistently stated that Rashford needs to score an array of goals, work on his instincts in front of the posts. Those statements in itself describe the difference in the influence both players have, Greenwood if he develops will 100% outscore Rashford, it will take a miracle for Marcus to become a consistent goal threat.
Totally agree regarding Martial and actually think Rashford is better on the left than up front. Have to say with our current squad though I think Greenwoods best chance of regular action is on the right side. Would like to see him and Rashford on the flanks with Martial up front but wont happen

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
No one will take the RW role from him this season. When he gets the ball in the final third I have not seen a single player in our team in the past 5 years that sets the stage like he does. He gets the ball in the final 1/3 and he's perfectly positioned and eyes right at goal. You always get a shot on goal from his possession in the RW.

Ronaldo killer instinct in the box. Step over, shoulder drop shoot.

TsuWave

He signed his pro contract last year right? Do we know for how long it is?

Dazzmondo

So happy Mason scored! Couldn't see much else in highlights other than a nice step over and shot. Was his all-round game good?

Dante

Average bang
I'd have no complaints about him being our starting right-sided attacker this season. He's excellent.

Jacob

Almost starting quality but that is down to us having a lack of depth rather than him being ready. Still very raw and erratic, which is expected at this point.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Almost starting quality but that is down to us having a lack of depth rather than him being ready. Still very raw and erratic, which is expected at this point.
I don't think he is, he is incredibly tidy to be 17. Obviously in some games he'll look a bit raw but I don't think he actually is. He has the best movement in the box out of all our starting players including Lukaku, Rashford, Martial, Mata etc. That is pretty insane to say, but it is true and we should be happy about it not sad about others maybe lacking in that aspect a bit.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Hope he gets a lot of minutes in the Europa League, however - I am cautious with my expectation of how well he will do. I can’t imagine a team of all the 17 and 18 year olds we want to play will be that good even in the EL.

Then there’s the fact that we want all of our young forwards to get the opportunity to play with Pogba to give them the best chance to show what they can do. Nobody else seems to be able to provide a similar level of quality - and I doubt he’d be in the EL team much.

Martial is yet to be on the same pitch as Pogba this pre season so far and I believe he has suffered for it.

Bwuk

Think the most impressive thing is the amount of shots he’s managing to take. He’s going to score bucketloads.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think the most impressive thing is the amount of shots he’s managing to take. He’s going to score bucketloads.
It’s massive.

One of my regular criticisms of Lukaku is how few shots he takes. For our main striker, he seems to average one to two shots a game. All the top forwards always seem to be threatening the goal. Regular forcing saves, shooting wide, over etc. We score so few as we shoot so little.

haram

It’s massive.

One of my regular criticisms of Lukaku is how few shots he takes. For our main striker, he seems to average one to two shots a game. All the top forwards always seem to be threatening the goal. Regular forcing saves, shooting wide, over etc. We score so few as we shoot so little.
We don't create enough chances to take more shots.

Canagel

The real killer number nines don't need everything to be placed in their feet . Any ball falling in the box can be turned into a chance/shooting opportunity.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We don’t have a good enough forward to take more shots.

Just watch a top striker play. Receiving a pass 20 yards out and a quick spin to get the ball out of foot and a shot on target from 20 yards. Constantly. Shift it to make space then shoot. Shooting from places other than directly in front of the goal 10 yards out.

‘Easy chances’ require creativity. Top strikers often just require ‘a pass’ somewhere near the goal. Greenwood scored vs Leeds from a chance created. He hit the post in the other game from simply receiving a pass. The step over and shot is normal for a top forward. Not Lukaku.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Watch Greenwood’s run for his goal today. Watch all the chances he created for himself vs Cardiff.
Not in a million years will you ever see those killer instincts from Lukaku. Lukaku would have made Bissakas cross look garbage

Mr Smith

I don't disagree, which makes me wonder why we re not being linked with someone like Mandzukic instead of Everton being linked with him. I'd take him for a season.
That would be a great signing; very reliable goalscorer, experienced, versatile, doesn't have to play every game.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Really glad he finally got his first goal. He has looked really promising, so hopefully now that he has that first one, he starts to calm in front of goals and they start flowing more easily.

Coops73

If Lukaku goes do we really need to buy another striker with this kid coming through? Personally I’d really like to see him get a lot more game time so I’m not so sure.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So happy Mason scored! Couldn't see much else in highlights other than a nice step over and shot. Was his all-round game good?
He was still decent, but I didn't think he really stood out like he did against Cardiff and Perth. Got the goal that he needed though, so hopefully that's the start of him putting more of those chances away.

K13

Very promising, well balanced, two footed and direct. Will just take time to pick up the other side of the team game, tracking back, defensive positioning and decision making. I am sure he will be involved this season.

jeepers

And that Lukaku isn't very good at creating chance for himself in tight situations. Mason can create shooting opportunities for himself out of very little.
Lukaku’s definitely capable of doing so. I don’t necessarily like the guy - his poor first touch, inability to hold/head the ball despite his size, poor/inconsistent technique, etc etc. He just needs to do it more often. We’ve seen him do it for Everton. He has also done it on several occasions for us (recent one that comes to mind was the right foot shot against Chrystal Palace).

Classical Mechanic

Lukaku’s definitely capable of doing so. I don’t necessarily like the guy - his poor first touch, inability to hold/head the ball despite his size, poor/inconsistent technique, etc etc. He just needs to do it more often. We’ve seen him do it for Everton. He has also done it on several occasions for us (recent one that comes to mind was the right foot shot against Chrystal Palace).
At Everton he was noticeably leaner and more dynamic. They also didn't have to face defences that were in a low defensive block as often as United do.

Mason still has it all to prove though. He's got a lot of ability but showing at the highest level is the hard part. Lukaku, for all his faults, has proven himself to be a good goalscorer at senior level.

Status
Not open for further replies.