Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Very happy with his goal and performance. His all round game is improving everyday and his finishing has even top notch. Thought this could be a huge season for him. There's potential there we could see a 25-30 goal striker there.

MiracleInMadrid

So happy for him. Finally got his chance as a clean number 9 at home in front of a fantastic crowd. Rose to the occassion fantastically.

MDFC Manager

Was surprised to see him run away from the defender for his goal. He's never been slow and pace has rarely been a key part of his game but I wonder has he gotten a little faster as he's developed?
He likely has. Also he looked like easily the fittest guy on the pitch.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
That nutmeg in the build-up to Pogba's big chance in the first half. :drool:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
When he run into the box, I thought the angle was very difficult for him to score. I forgot he clean he can strike the ball, RVPesque

Strelok

This could be the breakthrough season for Money Mase similar to Ronaldo’s 06-07. He looks physically ready, in good spirit and past the 2nd season syndrome. I wouldn’t be against playing with 2 strikers in easier fixtures to give him continuity in that position, instead of switching him constantly between RW and ST.
Don't worry he'll play a lot this season imo. Cavani is already 34 yo and would need to be managed very carefully. Martial is third in the pecking order and will have a lot to do if he'd want his position back.

Anyway healthy competition is always a good thing. The player will have to always keep trying and doing his best to keep his place.

jesperjaap

Halaand is a player you sign if available. Too good not to.

Cavani and Martial out for Halaand in would be good for our long term future.

Also transfer fee wise he will be a steal.
Salary, agent, career path, one up front blocking Geenwood. I just see lots of problems regarding Halaand coming here, not doubting he is a phenomenal player of course. I think over the next couple of years we already have one in Greenwood as a striker and most importantly I really dont see him coming here, only see him at one of the big two Spanish sides or even the greedy move to PSG.

Of course as a player I would love him here, but the thought of dealing with that agent and wages of £600k+ per week or soemthing daft like that and its potential problems it can cause.... against instead a pontential home grown world class striker in Greenwood up front week in week out, Haaland isnt such a dream signing for me

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's developing physically and transferring the game he had with the unders in accordance with that.

Greenwood has being playing as a boy against men and has had no choice but to adapt his game to be as a clean and distanced from any kind of physical entanglements because he couldn't outmuscle defenders and he didn't often challenge them for pace, but he's growing into his adult body now, which is showing in the power of his running, the close contact play where he's not worried about being buffeted and knocked off the ball nor is he thinking twice before selecting his next move. He's playing now in the same manner he did in the unders when matched against other unders.

What is so lethal with him is that ability to release the ball in half strides. Pass or shot, he gets off before the opposing player can get his feet sorted and make a better attempt to tackle. What this also means for Greenwood is that he can quickly condition his opponent who knows he has to shuffle his feet quickly and exploit a now off balance player. We'll see nutmegs and statuesque defenders who look like they've not even tried to tackle him because of this. In actuality, they've set their feet to try match a half stride and Mason has simply opted to go the other way. There are few players in the world who have this ability and most of them are the loftiest in the sport, who bring ridicule from some when such a young and relatively unproven player like Greenwood is mentioned as having similar traits.

I've said it before in a previous Greenwood thread that his upward trajectory will be dictated by his mind staying focused and his body not letting him down through injury etc. He has a skilset you can't teach and key attributes very, very few are blessed with: that half stride stuff is straight out of the copy book of the likes of Romario and Messi, for example. Van Persie is mentioned a lot in relation to Greenwood, but the way he strikes the ball early, in a half stride and hits to the inside of posts is, for me, most reminiscent of Romario who left defenders and keepers leaden-footed time and again whilst barely even getting the ball out from under him.

There should be lulls and a season is long, but Greenwood, for me, shows glimpses of a genuine world class player in the making. It's more the measure that when he puts his game together, just as in the unders, every action he takes is thought of and executed before most other players on the pitch have cottoned on. He's a very special, subtle talent in the making, one who's game is worthy of analysis for how deftly he does things and for how quick his mind is. That cliché about seeing the pitch quicker than others. He, Sancho, Bruno and Pogba should have some amazing combination play over the season as they all have a speed of thought and execution that opposing players will have to be special themselves to keep up with.

I think it's going to be very interesting to see what means are put in place to deal with our attackers as both a unit and in relation to their individual traits. Greenwood has to be kept touch-tight because of his early release ability, particularly with his shooting, but if you do that, he can roll you or run the man away from an area and create space for someone else. Marking zonally invites all kinds of pressure once the ball is being knocked around in and out of quadrants x or y is supposed to be picking his man up in.

If should be a fun and entertaining season for us as fans; we've got an attack that has it in them to rack up silly numbers like City do and Liverpool did. Each of our attackers have their own means to leave huge holes for someone else in the attack to exploit. Greenwood's attributes have the potential to be a huge component in that.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
His ability to hold the ball and his decision making is really well polished for this age. What a finish too, superb.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
He looked super confident well before his goal. You can see he hasn't wasted the summer, looks fitter, stronger, quicker and the ball just glues to his feet.

The goal was really really good and probably the most important of them all.

kirk buttercup

Should be left at CF he is class there. Martial should have been Put Left and Sancho Right . This Kid is the future, I think this is going to be the season when He goes from Great potential to our CF first choice.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Clearest sign of his improvement was chance in first half where Bruno flashes ball across the front of goal and he was there nearly to tap it in.

split the two defenders easily. Very good positioning but difficult chance to finish off

Andersons Dietician

His improvement recently has been incredible, always felt before he was kind of on the outside of games, not really involved in play. Sure he’d get a goal, but everything else was lacking. However near the end of last season he really really started to improve and yesterday he was brilliant. Hopefully its not just a one off and he can keep producing this standard of performance and even continue to get better.

That run and then the finish, I doubt many of our other options would have scored that.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
The finish was classic Greenwood. He seems up for it, if he realises his potential this season we're in for a proper treat.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That nutmeg in the build-up to Pogba's big chance in the first half. :drool:
It was great, can’t believe there was no close up replay.
La Liga coverage can be annoying with loads of pointless slo mo facial expressions but worth it if it means giving stuff like that ‘meg an appropriate amount of replays. Annoying the only footage is from miles away.

Kramer

Great performance by Mason. What I liked the most was the fact that Ole left him on for the full 90 minutes.

Last season, Mason would be the first of our attackers to be hooked off whenever a sub was made.

Seems as if Ole trusts his fitness to hold up for longer now. May it continue throughout the whole season.

Really looking forward to him linking up with Sancho in the final third as well. I love Rashford to bits, but both Sancho and Greenwood are players with greater technical ability and composure and I believe working together, they’ll be able to carve open defences in different ways giving us another dimension in attack.

stw2022

His awareness is impressive. So many other young players never break out of that mindset of being utterly oblivious to what’s around them. He links up with the team well. Even when he goes through periods of not finding the net he’ll be contributing in a way even seasoned forwards struggle too when out of goal scoring form

Bestietom

I always expect him to score when he shoots.He's always on target with either foot. A joy that he is ours for many more years, with the best still to come.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Greenwood is an unbelievable talent. I honestly think he's going to be at Haaland's level once his body is fully developed. His technique is ahead of Haaland, for me and he's had to come through a tougher level than Haaland.

With him scoring so many, OGS should have a word with him about doing knee slides when he scores. He needs to look after himself as much as possible and I'm pretty sure OGS got a bad injury doing that. The only thing that could stop him getting to the absolute top is injuries so why risk it?

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Was this the most complete performance from United striker in years? I think so. He has everything - dribbling, passing, awareness, cool head, movement, speed, and on top of it clinical finishing.

So exciting to have both him and Cavani in the team at the same time.

My favourite player to watch in current United side. Bruno is amazing, Pogba was class, but Greenwood is the one to watch closely.

Red_Aaron

Pogba rightfully getting plaudits for the glorious pass but there's still loads to do from there, some wonderful control at pace and then an exquisite finish. Throw any name you want out there - they'd all be proud of that goal

He'll have a big role to play at the start of this season so it's great to see him in such form

Jacob

Scary to think he probably has 7-8 years to his peak.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Supreme at finishing. Bags of talent. Proper summer rest & full pre season Can’t wait to see how he does this season.

Kaizane

I always thought it was only a matter of time before his body caught up with his talent. He looked one the strongest and fittest on the pitch, at ease with the ball at his feet and everything he did seemed to have purpose.

I agree with the sentiment that it's not the end of the world if we don't sign Haaland. Not to compare but why spend £200 million, when all is said and done on him when we have a player in Greenwood who's ceiling is higher? Haaland is a world class striker and finisher but Greenwood's all round game is far superior.

fck

Supports
Bayern
I agree with the sentiment that it's not the end of the world if we don't sign Haaland. Not to compare but why spend £200 million, when all is said and done on him when we have a player in Greenwood who's ceiling is higher? Haaland is a world class striker and finisher but Greenwood's all round game is far superior.
That's a bold prediction looking at Haalands current trajectory. I agree that Greenwood is a better all around footballer but Haaland is a better athlete and pure goal scorer.

Kaizane

That's a bold prediction looking at Haalands current trajectory. I agree that Greenwood is a better all around footballer but Haaland is a better athlete and pure goal scorer.
I agree, he's a better athlete and pure goal scorer, which is exactly why I believe Greenwood's ceiling is higher. If we were only to look at the numbers, Haaland can only realistically post marginally better ones from this point, so we can feasibly say where his ceiling might be. Greenwood, on the other hand, is also a goalscorer but from yesterday's evidence, will also be a lot more than that. Again, if we were to look at numbers only, Haaland will like post bigger ones but his overall contribution will be less of that than Greenwood. I don't think Greenwood's numbers will be too far behind Haaland's either, to justify 200 million on him but I won't be complaining if we do get him. I just hope it isn't to the detriment of Greenwood.

E-mal

Great performance by Mason. What I liked the most was the fact that Ole left him on for the full 90 minutes.

Last season, Mason would be the first of our attackers to be hooked off whenever a sub was made.

Seems as if Ole trusts his fitness to hold up for longer now. May it continue throughout the whole season.

Really looking forward to him linking up with Sancho in the final third as well. I love Rashford to bits, but both Sancho and Greenwood are players with greater technical ability and composure and I believe working together, they’ll be able to carve open defences in different ways giving us another dimension in attack.
You still need Rashford in that attack, his raw pace and power scares defenses.

criticalanalysis

Was surprised to see him run away from the defender for his goal. He's never been slow and pace has rarely been a key part of his game but I wonder has he gotten a little faster as he's developed?
Yes that was a little surprising also for me. I don't want to discredit his goal but perhaps the tracking defender wasn't the quickest himself.

passing-wind

This is a really key season for Greenwood, if he has the desire of being the club's dependence on a striker, the rumours of Haaland / Kane (media) etc should give him the determination.

He cannot just have a season of playing a role he needs to be effective every opportunity he's given. Rashford comes back to full strength, Sancho on the right he should be kicking down doors to play in the middle but it's up to him in his performances and attitude.

RedDevilRoshi

He was a livewire throughout and never gave the Leeds GK & defenders a moment’s peace. Brilliant finish to put us back in front after that lot had equalised a few minutes earlier.

The most exciting part for me is that he is just getting better and better every time I see him play. The more regularly he plays and learns from the likes of Cavani, then the even more better he is going to become. He’s got the potential to go all the way & become a world class player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Just watched the game again. His best performance for us. Screams future leading player if he stays fit and hungry. He’s always had the technique but he’s putting it all together, pressing and scrapping and so classy going on either side. Scary!

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Its why I said Id prefer to play him instead of Martial as a CF, if Martials last season performance continues further. Greenwood is only getting better. And because our CF is no longer the only one that is scoring goals it could do a world of good to him. His through passes were crisp and he can be a striker in the mold of Rooney/RvP who drops deep and be involved in buildup.

Status
Not open for further replies.