5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

dabeast

The combination of pace, touch and finishing is unique. Perhaps Cristiano before 2010, but I don't there is a another player in the world today who could have scored this goal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The chance he set up Pogba shows what he capable of, nutmeg was with his left foot, dribbled using his dribbled foot and then played near perfect pass to Pogba using his right foot.

Even for Fred's goal, he played perfectly weighted pass for Pogba, it was set up so well for Pogba to play the pass first time.

mk7

The combination of pace, touch and finishing is unique. Perhaps Cristiano before 2010, but I don't there is a another player in the world today who could have scored this goal.
Memories of Bale vs.Inter come to mind.

ROFLUTION

The way he runs back into midfield with pace to pick it up, turn and go again reminded me a bit of how Van Persie used to do it.

His ceiling can be so high.

VivaRonaldo85

This kid is a superstar. What a talent and will be hard to knock out the first X1 any time soon

CG1010

It was such an important goal too, it knocked the wind out Leeds quickly after their goal. While it was great games by likes of Pogba and Bruno, we already knew they are capable of it. I was very impressed by Greenwood's athletic side of things. Clearly he has made great use of the rest in the summer, and terrific decision to skip the Euros.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Awesome performance from him, having watched him in the academy, I feel like I expect nothing less from him and there is even much more to come. The things he was doing there were absolutely ridiculous, he has still so much more different types of goals and individual solo's in his locker.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was surprised to see him run away from the defender for his goal. He's never been slow and pace has rarely been a key part of his game but I wonder has he gotten a little faster as he's developed?
Nope he's always been that fast. When playing up front you can save more energy, so you have more stamina for full speed sprints like that.

When he plays on the wing he's having to run up and down a lot, so whenever he gets the ball he's already semi tired and can't burst like he usually can.

Remember last season against Brighton after the lockdown football started up he clocked our highest top speed in a sprint.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Wasn’t he a sprinter as a teenager?

Keep reading comments about his pace but he’s definitely very fast and the top players make better runs, have better technique so their pace is less obvious than players who pretty much rely on pace like Rashford, James, or Sarr. That’s even more so when you’re completely two-footed like he is.

I’d take Greenwood over any other teenager in world football at the moment. I actually think he’s still massively underrated.

Wasn’t he a sprinter as a teenager?

Keep reading comments about his pace but he’s definitely very fast and the top players make better runs, have better technique so their pace is less obvious than players who pretty much rely on pace like Rashford, James, or Sarr. That’s even more so when you’re completely two-footed like he is.

I’d take Greenwood over any other teenager in world football at the moment. I actually think he’s still massively underrated.
Grouping Rashford with those two is extremely harsh. When on-form he's an extremely skillful dribbler and has great ball-striking technique (though not as clean as Mason's). He's far from pace-reliant, he's more lacking in the decisiveness category than in technical ability.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Grouping Rashford with those two is extremely harsh. When on-form he's an extremely skillful dribbler and has great ball-striking technique (though not as clean as Mason's). He's far from pace-reliant, he's more lacking in the decisiveness category than in technical ability.
My point was more about Greenwood than Rashford. Rashford’s obviously a lot better than Sarr or James. I mentioned Rashford because he’s obviously got standout pace, and I think he is quite reliant on it. That doesn’t make him a bad player, but he’s nowhere near as natural as Greenwood and he doesn’t have the range of ability. Proof of that is that Mason can player on either side or centrally.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

Just a couple of days back someone on here was saying he is not a good finisher anymore.

I still doubt whether he is at his best from the middle though. I think he is better from the wings.

meamth

He can finish like that from both sides of the box. Textbook finish like that is gold, not easy at all.

Like Ole said, what you see now is a man, not a kid anymore. You add that with his natural ability as a pure finisher, we're getting a beast of a player.

Leonzo1

The kid is a superstar. One of the first names on the team sheet for me. Sancho displaces James obviously and then It's Greenwood's shirt to lose. Cavani Martial and Rashford will really have to fight to get back in the team. Fantastic to have such competition for places. Imagine having Greenwood Sancho and Pogba causing havoc for 70 minutes and you still get to bring in Cavani and Rashford. Mental.

MadMike

The kid is a superstar. One of the first names on the team sheet for me. Sancho displaces James obviously and then It's Greenwood's shirt to lose. Cavani Martial and Rashford will really have to fight to get back in the team. Fantastic to have such competition for places. Imagine having Greenwood Sancho and Pogba causing havoc for 70 minutes and you still get to bring in Cavani and Rashford. Mental.
Hopefully not too much, Ole better rotate a lot more this season. There's no point having that depth and using it only when someone is injured or absolutely exhausted. Only to find out then that they haven't got any match sharpness or form due to lack of playing time.

Red Royal

One of the best things about this lad is he seems to be a level headed mature kid. His post game interview was great for a 19 year old. He had that stupid blip when on England duty and the press were ready to get there knives out; hopefully he has learned from that.
Ability wise there is no stopping him!!

AneRu

Hopefully not too much, Ole better rotate a lot more this season. There's no point having that depth and using it only when someone is injured or absolutely exhausted. Only to find out then that they haven't got any match sharpness or form due to lack of playing time.
Truth and we should guard against running our best players into the ground and run out of steam at the business end of the season. In Pogba, Donny, Sancho, Mason, Rashford, Cavani, Bruno, James and Martial we have the numbers to rotate in that front four and enough quality to make up various match winning combinations such that we shouldn't have a situation where the likes of Bruno and Pogba play a CL match away in Moscow on Wednesday and have to start a PL game at Newcastle on Saturday.

Rotation was one of Fergie's best attributes and it really helped us succeed during the golden era of 06-09. Of course some players want to play every match but Ole has to stamp his foot down and work to integrate players like Donny, Bailly, Martial and dare I say Jones. There is no reason, for interest sake, why a front four of Sancho-Martial-James-VDB shouldnt be able to beat a team like Norwich. But you are right they have to be kept in and around the first team playing so that they maintain sharpness.

SoCross

I keep rewatching that goal. He had one thing on his mind and that finish was never in doubt.

He moves like a faster Van Persie maaaan.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some of his first time passes/lay offs were sublime. Reminded of our football under SAF. No self indulgence, just really intelligence teamplay.

Highfather_24

Not really impressed with his hold up play(Cavani are Martial are both better), his movement in the box, or his heading. All extremely important attributes for a CF. His passing has improved a lot though, as has his maturity.

Jaxa

Out of all our players this season I really am most excited to watch Greenwood and see his progression,

I just feel he's going to have a belting season with 20+ goals , there seems to be momentum building with him and fortunately it's continued from the end of last season, he seems more confident and aware that he should be part of the starting 11 and not some kid fresh from the academy who's a bit nervy to be around the likes of your Pogba's. Bruno's etc. He knows he's also the shit and that's great to see.

In particular the linkup hopefully with Sancho should be a thing of beauty.

kaNNz

No, no.His hold up play is far superior compared to Martial and on par with Cavani.He is our best CF.Watch him closely, his overall game is on another level compared to Martial and Rashford.

Martialfc

Am I the only person who thinks Greenwood is better than Rashford?

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Simply put Greenwood is a generational talent. He's not just a good young player, he has world class attributes and no doubt in my mind he will be a top 3 in the world no9 in a few years. That striking technique he has, on both feet is unique and the beauty of Mason is, is that he doesn't need pace to be lethal so he's going to age gracefully and tear it up for a long time. Exciting times ahead.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I think it is very easy to say Greenwood is better than Rashford after Rashford was in awful form for a long time. I don't think Greenwood is at the level Rashford was at during 19/20 and the begin of 20/21 where it was often him winning us games single-handedly. No way.

Is Greenwood a more natural, fine footballer than Rashford, yes. Also has a higher bottom-level.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No, no.His hold up play is far superior compared to Martial and on par with Cavani.He is our best CF.Watch him closely, his overall game is on another level compared to Martial and Rashford.
Weird post. Martial has better hold up play than Cavani, his hold up play is exceptional when he’s on it like City last season. Cavani is good but I wouldn’t say it’s his strongest attribute. Mason is currently the weakest of the three but also has immense potential in this department because his touch is great, his physicality is improving and he can get out of tight situations with his dribbling.

kaNNz

If you think that Greenwood won't score 24 goals in all comps if he is regular starter at the CF role you are delusional.He is far superior player than Rashford and Martial.They'r overall game is ridiculous compared to Mason.He is generational talent alongside Foden and Haaland.

cletus7

“Finished game with better pass rate than any other United player”.. against Leeds. This says it all for me. Greenwood has a level of maturity and intelligence to match his technique. Rashford may have more raw material, but can’t harness it with the same consistent control.

Alemar

Am I the only person who thinks Greenwood is better than Rashford?
I think many people share your opinion.

Rashford in top form is very efficient off the left, but it’s the best position for Pogba as well. To maximise efficiency and not distort balance, you need to select one of them most likely - whereas Greenwood can play 2 different positions

tjb

Been saying this since he broke through 2 yrs ago. Better than both Rashford and Martial.
That's what I always saw. Particularly in 16/17, I didn't think either Martial or Rashford were anywhere near what our fans were hyping them out to be. I did think Rashford's hardworking nature would eventually make him a useful part of our team and sure enough he exceeded that expectation; but in terms of talent, skill...Greenwood has been far better than Rashford was at this stage and I personally feel only needs half a season to show that he's better even now.

Last season, Greenwood's all around game improved significantly and the main issue he had was his ability to impose himself on a game. My feeling was that this was due to not having the experience in movement and the physical strength to consistently impose his game. Now he seems to have found the type of striker he is, which is quickly becoming quite clear. He's dropping deep and interplanetary. He's also bulked up physically, so he's not being bullied anymore. His touch, control, is are all really good, add that with his new creative angle and his deadly finishing and he really could shock people this year.

littleman

Finishing-wise, Greenwood is better than Rashford but that's not really the bar to compare to.. Greenwood is clinical compared to the vast majority of forwards.

I think Greenwood is a better finisher than Martial, whose fans here call him ice cold and clinical.

However it's still not clear that Greenwood is a better player. We've had entire seasons where we counted on Rashford, and none where we've counted on Greenwood. He's been able to play selectively and make an impact. While Rashford has more suspect decision making than Greenwood, Mason more often just disappears from games when not making an impact.

We'll see soon enough, but they're young players and have plenty of time ahead of time. It's too early to call who is better, but it's easy to see who has done more (Rashford).

Status
Not open for further replies.