5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

He's such a classy footballer, smooth technically and can drop in and create which dovetails well with Bruno who likes to run in behind, he'd be Guardiola's ideal #9, and that finish today was clinical accuracy.

laughtersassassin

I'm still all for buying Halaand though because with how city Operate we will need an insane team.

Having both will be needed

criticalanalysis

He looked (at least in this game) far ready than I thought he would be in the CF position. Really good all-round performance. The simple lay-offs, that great "pre-assist" pass to Pogba for Fred's goal.
The wee nutmeg in the lead up to Pogba’s chance was sublime.
I think his finish was the best of the lot given Leeds had just equalized. He only had like a foot to aim for, between avoiding the keeper and getting it in.
This.

His goal was a superb strike. I think a big part of his technique and ability on the ball comes from his core/balance. Similar to RVP, his centre of gravity is from his hips. It's almost upright and gives him a great basis from the way he receives the ball, dribbles and stands up defenders when he's on the ball.

He's still got a lot of learn and grow as I do feel defenders give him a bit too much respect from a standing position as he doesn't quite have the approach/burst of 1 yard to get past people but that's a minor criticism overall. Leeds were very open so it was easy pickings for someone as intelligent as him to play in the open field. Bigger tests ahead when his back in against the goal and deep lying defences.

Number32

There was one maybe two instances he still got outmuscled I think. I said a bit more, he's already quite strong but a bit more and he'd be unplayable.

I don't think his anticipation is an issue. His decision making was pretty bang on, that doesn't come without a good anticipation and reading of the situation.
He might talking about off the ball movement in the box, as he wasn't ready to antcipate any crosses. He should looking for an easy tap in finish.

Overall he's having a great game, really happy for him.

TsuWave

More talented than Haaland, just has much more to his game than the Norwegian.
I think the same too. Although Haaland is a predator, and possibly further ahead in his development, I just prefer the way Greenwood plays football.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He's been slowly improving back-to-goal* since he first started, today was pretty good. Finish was exquisite and he might have been the best player till 2-1.

(*Though I've been told in the Martial thread that this means he's Emile Heskey or something).

Strelok

He might talking about off the ball movement in the box, as he wasn't ready to antcipate any crosses. He should looking for an easy tap in finish.

Overall he's having a great game, really happy for him.
We didn't cross much today I think. Talking about that the only cross came to my mind is from Bruno, which Mason was at the end. His role today is not really a true #9 anyway so let's see I think.

Borninthe80ts

This is what I loved the most about today's peformance. It was actually Bruno esque the way he was thinking ahead of the play and had in mind what he wanted to do as soon as he got the ball. Fanatastic.
Yeah I think him and Bruno dovetail well. A lot of his passes seem simple but it's definitely speed of thought more than anything. Once he develops I can see him dropping deep more to influence build up. This should be especially useful against deep lying compact defences.

TsuWave

He’s developing well physically. Bullied their defenders at times today. Nice burst of pace for the goal too.
I thought the same. I posted this in the matchday thread:

Greenwood’s making use of his body. I like the way he’s fighting for every ball
Their defenders couldn't cope with how physical he was being. Was giving them the Diego Costa treatment. Impressive.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Never thought he could pass as well as he did.

Hopefully he can add some predatory tap ins and then we have a great player.

Shimo

That was a fantastic performance. He was ready to take them all on, played with real fire and no hesitancy in his play at all.

Varun

Staff
He's phenomenal. Not been excited about a young player like this since Ronaldo and Rooney. Absolutely adore him.

Chief123

Agree to disagree. I think Mason is ahead on all accounts. He's also had much less time to prove it. Mason is probably amongst the top 10 best finishers in the world, regardless of age.
If we are talking about just finishing alone, I think top 10 is unfair. I would have him in the top 5 finishers in the world in terms of consistency of hitting the target with meaningful strikes. Nearly every shot is on target and with plenty of power and purpose. I’ve not seen many players hit the ball as clean as he does with either foot.

crossy1686

career ending
Shades of a young Michael Owen about him. Could be the real deal in a year or two. His maturity and ability at this age are unreal, playing as a lone CF as well.

Tarrou

when he gets to square up to a defender one on one defenders struggle to handle him, he's quick off the mark and can go either way

finishing is incredible obviously

and he's already strong as feck at aged 19 too

Marwood

45 more days until he turns 20, he could beat Anelka's record but beyond that is too much for the time left. He definitely hasn't been a teenage force like Rooney/Owen, but at just the next tier down that's perfectly fine. Looking forward to see how he plays this season.
Rooney and Owen had that advantage of a crazy physical ability.

But I think Fowler is the most impressive on that list given he wasn't overly quick or strong.

But this teenage thing is kind of pointless anyway, Mason has an ability that will hopefully give him a long career as a striker.

Polar

Finally….

First time I say I prefer him as striker before RW.. Also first time I say he is good enough to be a starter up front.

He looks stronger and faster than last season. Glad he spent time in the gym instead of joining the Euro:D

Valencia Shin Crosses

There was one maybe two instances he still got outmuscled I think. I said a bit more, he's already quite strong but a bit more and he'd be unplayable.

I don't think his anticipation is an issue. His decision making was pretty bang on, that doesn't come without a good anticipation and reading of the situation.
I meant anticipation inside the box a la Cavani. You can see the gears starting to turn with the chance he almost got onto from James (or was it Bruno I can't remember) from the right wing.

Obviously has to become a better header of the ball, but I think that can tend to be overrated anyways.

Jacob

Arguably my favourite player in the squad right now. I admire his talent so much.

Strelok

I meant anticipation inside the box a la Cavani. You can see the gears starting to turn with the chance he almost got onto from James (or was it Bruno I can't remember) from the right wing.

Obviously has to become a better header of the ball, but I think that can tend to be overrated anyways.
I don't think James managed to put any ball into the box so it's Bruno. In that case you're talking about the cross from Bruno which Mason was at the end but couldn't score?

Anyway his role today is not really a #9 so let's see I think.

Shimo

Interesting bit in the post match press conference where reporter tried to get Ole to commit to saying Mason's ultimate position would be a 9, he pretty much shut it down and talked about how all the forwards are very fluid and Cavani is the only true fixed position player.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Interesting bit in the post match press conference where reporter tried to get Ole to commit to saying Mason's ultimate position would be a 9, he pretty much shut it down and talked about how all the forwards are very fluid and Cavani is the only true fixed position player.
It’s the secret to keeping a versatile tool box. Sir Alex used to do this a lot. If you make them believe they can play 3 positions, they would be a lot less unhappy to play ‘out of position’. Let’s be honest, Greenwood is #9 inside out. That kid is ridiculously lethal and you can see him working very hard on his movement. Combine that with his finishing you’ve got a 50goal a season freak

Marwood

I’d love to see his ratio of “result influencing” goals to goals which don’t affect where the points are ending up. Reckon he could be one of the very highest in the league.
Yeah good point that.

I'd also like to see the ratio of "easy" chances to goals not many others could score.

I don't remember many tap ins or chances he should be scoring.

Guapa

Man of the match for me today.Brilliant finish and great dropping off and linking up/starting attacks.Brilliant

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Amazing both first and second touch for the goal and sublime finish. You just knew he would put it into that for corner, he rarely misses from this angle. Also happy he took on the player immediately, I can see Martial definitely chopping the ball on his inside and Rashford too. Btut Mason having big advantage being ambidextrous. He looks fit like never before and ready to lead the line now I think. Occasional rotation with Edi will be nice but I think he could even start in 70% games there for us if he keeps this up. Some decent plays in between too, so I think he will be a very complete attacker when he reaches his potential.

Brightonian

He's got it all. I'm not even worried about what would happen to him if we got Haaland. He would keep someone else out of the side.

He should be considered Bruno's first back-up as #10, incidentally. So much of his football at the moment is played in tight spaces in the pocket anyway, and he has the triple-threat of dribble/pass/shoot which all good #10s need to be able to have. Demonstrated all three beautifully today.

SSSSnake

He had so much to do for that goal. His touch and control from running at full speed was perfect to allow him the shot. No one in our team could have scored that goal but him. Also a nice touch from Ole calling him a “man” now. Hopefully that means Ole trusts him more.

KennyBurner

Have you guys noticed how well he recycled passes under pressure on the right. He’s got a nice weighted pass toward the center for AWB or our midfielders to latch into. I love it.

pascell

He's only going to get better coming up against a quality CB like Varane too.

I thought he was brilliant today, loved how he was aggressive in chasing down the ball and battling with defenders.

Status
Not open for further replies.