g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorke to Cole

Wouldn't surprise me if he ends up at Real with Bellingham for nothing.

He knows the press will crucify him back in the UK and whatever bad press he gets in Spain won't bother him because it will go over his head.

That will be a tough one to stomach, especially if he then turns himself into a star with RM, who basically get a world class talent for zilch.
Surely, United will exercise the extra year option instead. I do not think the general UK press will be that bad. If anything it is our own supporters who are the concern. The fanbase is so split on massive issues whether it is the manager, ownership and transfers. It is as bad as Florida during a US election. No wonder nothing ever gets done or progressed at such a slow rate.

Also, as many have said it is no wonder the Glazer ownership has managed to fester for so long.

Arnold with his dithering has already cost United a huge amount of money as we are paying the majority of his salary, paying for his accomadation and for him and his family to have a living translator.

This club needs strong leadership and I am hoping that Ratcliffe, Blanc etc provide that. It is those elements that are able to prevent media storm ups like this ( online publications, tv presenters etc) dictating the narrative and allows for clear decision making.

TsuWave

La Carrington has been prolific as of late - this guy, Garnacho, Mainoo.

Would be a strong young core.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He 100% should be a CF. People forget pre-Ronaldo he was playing CF that year and looked fantastic. And then we brought in CR7 and put him back on the right and it all went to shit
Wasn't that due to injuries. He played mainly off the right and was developing a good understanding with Cavani. Not that I disagree, I think that's his eventual position, but he's incredibly dangerous out on the right.

Alemar

At this rate (and taking into account the output of our RW players of late), he could be re-integrated into the team in January perhaps.

croadyman

Surely, United will exercise the extra year option instead. I do not think the general UK press will be that bad. If anything it is our own supporters who are the concern. The fanbase is so split on massive issues whether it is the manager, ownership and transfers. It is as bad as Florida during a US election. No wonder nothing ever gets done or progressed at such a slow rate.

Also, as many have said it is no wonder the Glazer ownership has managed to fester for so long.

Arnold with his dithering has already cost United a huge amount of money as we are paying the majority of his salary, paying for his accomadation and for him and his family to have a living translator.

This club needs strong leadership and I am hoping that Ratcliffe, Blanc etc provide that. It is those elements that are able to prevent media storm ups like this ( online publications, tv presenters etc) dictating the narrative and allows for clear decision making.
Wonder what Ratcliffe thinks of him,you are also bang on about the fanbase split too

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

It will be at least as bad as last time, possibly more so, given the club's management will be deemed slightly underhand by attempting to bring back after shipping him out. Arguing semantics around the wording of the statement will only increase the criticism.

Strelok

Tbh I don't think this time any of the media, fanbase etc. would really matter here.

Imo the true reason why the club let him leave is because of money. Because they were afraid keeping him with all the negative noises would damage our brand and the commercial activities. Same reason why they wanted to keep him in the very first place. He's a +100m asset.

Now with the new management if they still think money is the most important thing then they'll sell him, probably cheap. Otherwise if they think football, or the results matter the most they'll keep him imo. It's clear af he's still our best RW and probably even our best attacker.

Imo dealing with the media and fans is not that hard. Just play dumb, deaf and blind for a while then it's fine. As long as we keep having good results and he's playing well. Both the media and fans have extremely short memory anyway.

afatzp

I just hope the new incoming CEO would overturn the decision on Greenwood. He deserves a second chance by all means, not to mention all the talent he's got and how bad our RW currently is.

Jeffthered

One of the best young talents I have seen in British Football for some time. He's a natural, unique. He's posture, technical ability and understanding of the game reminds me of a young Griezemann. I think Greenwood will be fine, he's still young, and if he can clear his mind, he could still be a force in European football. We haven't a better forward at our club. He would improve Chelsea, Arsenal, Newcastle, possibly even Liverpool, I think he's that good.

tidraKS

Hopefully he'll be back in January, he'll take the RW spot right away, he's that talented. I expected his first season back to not be quite as good as it has turned out to be, but he's exceeding all expectations. Bring him back, he deserves another chance.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Not much chance of coming back in Jan, what happens next summer is the question

no chance he leaves on a free either, he's already showing he's still go it so the club will take the 1 year option and then it's for the new CEO to deal with

Mike Smalling

He's twice the player Antony is - at least. Shame how it turned out.

Will be interesting to see what approach the club takes, once he's been out of sight for a period of time. No matter what, him finding his form and showing his level, can only be a positive for us.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Hope he keeps flying. As I previously stated, Getafe is a club that likes to gamble with potential youth talent which is what he needs now in his career.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

no chance he leaves on a free either, he's already showing he's still go it so the club will take the 1 year option and then it's for the new CEO to deal with
There's not much point coming back in January anyway, he's not playing at a level we need. As @golden_blunder said, he needs consistent minutes. The club will take stock at the end of the season and we'll have to see the opinion for the new football team.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
There's not much point coming back in January anyway, he's not playing at a level we need. As @golden_blunder said, he needs consistent minutes. The club will take stock at the end of the season and we'll have to see the opinion for the new football team.
Yes best for him stay there this season, get to 100% match fitness and deliver consistently - then we see in summer

But based on his performances in Spain so far, he would improve our squad right now - although that is partly to do with poor form from several of our attackers

Last edited:

bosskeano

no chance they bring him back in january....give it another 6-7 months of consistent football and allow the bs to die down as i'm sure between now and next summer there will be some sort of scandal with another footballer at some club in england which will overshadow bringing Mason back to United.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Wasn't that due to injuries. He played mainly off the right and was developing a good understanding with Cavani. Not that I disagree, I think that's his eventual position, but he's incredibly dangerous out on the right.
He played off the right in seasons before yes, but starting with the opener against Leeds he was playing through the middle until Ronaldo made his debut v Newcastle.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

My hunch is he'll be back in the fold over summer.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He played off the right in seasons before yes, but starting with the opener against Leeds he was playing through the middle until Ronaldo made his debut v Newcastle.
Aye, and wasn't that due to Cavani being unavailable (I'd say injured, but it's hard to know with him)?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
So's he just came back and started to perform as if he didnt miss two years or whatever of football.

Why did he have to turn out to be a piece of shit?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Aye, and wasn't that due to Cavani being unavailable (I'd say injured, but it's hard to know with him)?
Yeah this was when Cavani was bitching and wanting to possibly leave and there were also the COVID restrictions so he couldn't train yet. But Greenwood was preferred to Martial as well in the middle with James on the right.

Gator Nate

Garnacho on the left, Greenwood on the right with Mainoo running the show from middle.
And Hojlund as ST. I say bring Greenwood back in Jan to make this happen to build for future.
Greenwood is as much a creator as a scorer. Hojlund would have so much joy working with him! But that foursome could be a machine for years to come.

I do agree with some, though, that it needs to be over the summer, not in January.

Dan_F

Interesting. I wonder if the abuse would dwindle as quickly in England.
Rashford was getting boos off the Everton fans yesterday. There’s absolutely no chance that goes away for a United player.

Telsim

He should stay at Getafe to get back into shape. Then Garnacho - Hojlund - Greenwood with Bruno and Mainoo behind them for next season would be very good, I believe. Make it happen. Also bring some additional young talent at CB and perhaps another midfielder to play next to Mainoo.

Patchbeard

Think people are being overly optimistic about the chances of the British press not going into a furore again if the club tried to bring him back for good. Most pundits and writers are quite anti-Utd so would take it as an opportunity to bash the club and Greenwood, whilst any pro-Utd pundits would understandly be cautious to express any other views for fear of backlash. It is something that should really be dealt with by an independent body and where insurance would cover the club, because any club would have conflicted interests. But it isn't exactly a common situation. I'm not advocating for/against, just stating that I don't think it should be up to a club to make the decision in a situation like this.

Performance wise, at the Getafe unveiling it looked like he had lost some of the upper body 'bulk' that he had started to put on just before the incident, so it probably helps starting again in a slightly less physical league, and he does ooks stronger again now. Clearly hasn't lost much sharpness around the box.

the_cliff

He should stay at Getafe to get back into shape. Then Garnacho - Hojlund - Greenwood with Bruno and Mainoo behind them for next season would be very good, I believe. Make it happen. Also bring some additional young talent at CB and perhaps another midfielder to play next to Mainoo.
3 out of the 5 academy products too. If Rashford can find his form again we could have a front 3 of academy products with Mainoo in midfield behind them.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Does he even want to come back? United fecked good with that long suspension.

3KDré

3 out of the 5 academy products too. If Rashford can find his form again we could have a front 3 of academy products with Mainoo in midfield behind them.
There were 7 United academy graduates out of 22 players on the pitch yesterday (Garner, Harrison, NcNeil for Everton). Seriously impressive.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
His performances are mint. He's better then anything we've got as RW.

luke511

His performances are mint. He's better then anything we've got as RW.
I think Amad is the better right winger. If Greenwood comes back I hope he's seen as a centre forward first with RW being his back up position.

Cloud7

Wonder what Ratcliffe thinks of him,you are also bang on about the fanbase split too
I have to say it will be quite funny to see what happens if Jimmy B reintegrates him in the team. Not that I have particularly strong feelings about wanting him back, but there was a significant chunk of the fanbase who claimed that Qatar would not care about Greenwood's past with women, that only qatar fans wanted him back, that Jim would do the right thing, that there's no way Jim would bring him back etc.

Alemar

But based on his performances in Spain so far, he would improve our squad right now - although that is partly to do with poor form from several of our attackers
Poor form of our attackers is somewhat offset by his own 1.5 year long career break - clearly he is far from top form himself.

But it doesn’t matter - on merit, he would likely be a part of the starting XI of our team here and now - just by being better than Antony, Pellistri and a RW version of Rashford. Amad hasn’t featured, sadly, so it’s still impossible to say whether or not he comes good

Pickle85

I have to say it will be quite funny to see what happens if Jimmy B reintegrates him in the team. Not that I have particularly strong feelings about wanting him back, but there was a significant chunk of the fanbase who claimed that Qatar would not care about Greenwood's past with women, that only qatar fans wanted him back, that Jim would do the right thing, that there's no way Jim would bring him back etc.
Who said that there's no way Jim would bring him back? I haven't seen anyone claim that?

Cloud7

Who said that there's no way Jim would bring him back? I haven't seen anyone claim that?
There was a fair bit of people saying it here and there, I don't have the specific posts or threads on hand, but it was during the height of the Qatar = Evil, Jim = Good period, and there were a fair few posts that were sure Jassim would try to bring him back but Jim would not.

devilish

I think Amad is the better right winger. If Greenwood comes back I hope he's seen as a centre forward first with RW being his back up position.
I love Amad but I doubt that he's got Greenwood's talent.

devilish

If Jimmy Glazer is anything like his Tory croonies, I wouldn’t be surprised if he brings him back.
From a purely football perspective its a non brainer. He's a generational talent who is comfortable in playing in two roles we desperately need. We've spent 180m on that RW and none of them had produced 1/3 of the performances Greenwood did

Status
Not open for further replies.