g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Aaron

I suppose the question is whether he (and the gf) are prepared to do the full PR push that'll be required for him to come back to here

I'd be surprised if the club didn't try to initiate this in the summer when they wanted him to stay so I get the feeling he doesn't want to go through with it and therefore it's most likely he'll push for a permanent move to Spain next season.

They'll be plenty of takers I'm sure

STYLOISRED

Rashford was getting boos off the Everton fans yesterday. There’s absolutely no chance that goes away for a United player.
Which is exactly why leadership is important. If Rashford is going to get boos then there is no point paying any mind to what anybody outside the club says. If they want him back, then bring him back if not, put him on the Market without dicking about.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think people are being overly optimistic about the chances of the British press not going into a furore again if the club tried to bring him back for good. Most pundits and writers are quite anti-Utd so would take it as an opportunity to bash the club and Greenwood, whilst any pro-Utd pundits would understandly be cautious to express any other views for fear of backlash. It is something that should really be dealt with by an independent body and where insurance would cover the club, because any club would have conflicted interests. But it isn't exactly a common situation. I'm not advocating for/against, just stating that I don't think it should be up to a club to make the decision in a situation like this.

Performance wise, at the Getafe unveiling it looked like he had lost some of the upper body 'bulk' that he had started to put on just before the incident, so it probably helps starting again in a slightly less physical league, and he does ooks stronger again now. Clearly hasn't lost much sharpness around the box.
If it's not up to the club then, up to who? And any football focused non elected group probably would have gone along with the findings from the CPS etc

I think as it's gonna be on the club you guys should prepare yourselves for the same outcome as before. Unless he has an incredible finish to the season.

Which is possible to be fair....

luke511

I love Amad but I doubt that he's got Greenwood's talent.
Amad's one of the most technically gifted youth players I've seen, his passing and close dribbling is as special as Greenwood's finishing and dribbling imo. I think Greenwood belongs in the striker position, once he has the goal at shooting distance he's locked on. Still fantastic on the right wing but for me I think Amad is a better player in that role, because of his ability as a playmaker as well as goalscoring.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Amad's one of the most technically gifted youth players I've seen, his passing and close dribbling is as special as Greenwood's finishing and dribbling imo. I think Greenwood belongs in the striker position, once he has the goal at shooting distance he's locked on. Still fantastic on the right wing but for me I think Amad is a better player in that role, because of his ability as a playmaker as well as goalscoring.
When's he going to get some game time?

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Would he even want to come back only for our club hierarchy to do a u turn again when there is the slightest bit of pressure?
Either the (new) leadership is strong enough and really wants him back regardless of pressure or negativity surrounding his possible return, or they just make up their mind and sell him so he can continue playing in Spain (or somewhere else).
Still, we are still covering the majority of his wages, Getafe won‘t pay him that. So if he wants the same salary he will also need to join a bigger club.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I suppose the question is whether he (and the gf) are prepared to do the full PR push that'll be required for him to come back to here

I'd be surprised if the club didn't try to initiate this in the summer when they wanted him to stay so I get the feeling he doesn't want to go through with it and therefore it's most likely he'll push for a permanent move to Spain next season.

They'll be plenty of takers I'm sure
She’s the key if he has any plans to come back to us - he can show all the contrition he wants, but it’d still need her to get people on side (and even that might not be enough)

Dan_F

Which is exactly why leadership is important. If Rashford is going to get boos then there is no point paying any mind to what anybody outside the club says. If they want him back, then bring him back if not, put him on the Market without dicking about.
Well it would obviously be a different level. I honestly think he would get booed at old Trafford too, so I’m not sure why he would want to come into this environment.

The club have sent him out on loan to try and normalise him playing football again. It makes far more financial sense to try and get his reputation washed before selling.

rio's upper lip

Reading the club statement on Greenwood in August again, I certainly wouldn't bet against Mason returning next season.

Yorke to Cole

Well it would obviously be a different level. I honestly think he would get booed at old Trafford too, so I’m not sure why he would want to come into this environment.

The club have sent him out on loan to try and normalise him playing football again. It makes far more financial sense to try and get his reputation washed before selling.
I posted yesterday (as I was intrigued, so I looked), Getafe play away to Sevilla and then Atletico Madrid on the 16th and 19th December, respectively.

Those are going to be the first real tests in terms of an intense atmospheres you will get in Spain. Look at how United played away to Sevilla last season. He could well receive a hostile reception in both of those matches. However, I think it will make him mentally stronger for the remainder of the season.

He has not played in any match with such a high capacity since away to Aston Villa in early January 21 (excluding matches at Old Trafford).

It is then the Spanish winter break. Getafe visit the Camp Nou on the 24th February.

The question is will Greenwood's ambition be heightened when he plays in these venues, if we are to assume he feels mentally strong to absorb what may be shouted or screamed at him during those matches?

Bondi77

That poster was me and you clearly didn't get the context behind it.
I clearly got it as it is a cut and paste job from so many others but if Amad was given a chance with the first team and he impressed it would disappear like all the rest and the narrative would be different.

JagUTD

Rashford was getting boos off the Everton fans yesterday. There’s absolutely no chance that goes away for a United player.
Spanish fans aren't exactly known for their tolerance. If anything, getting booed and having some mean chants aimed at you in England will be pretty tame compared to what you can get around Europe.

JagUTD

In football terms it's great to see him getting back to where he was and remind everyone of what he is capable of.

TheReligion

Abusive
Spanish fans aren't exactly known for their tolerance. If anything, getting booed and having some mean chants aimed at you in England will be pretty tame compared to what you can get around Europe.
The Spanish fans will be booing Greenwood anyway given he’s black.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
I posted yesterday (as I was intrigued, so I looked), Getafe play away to Sevilla and then Atletico Madrid on the 16th and 19th December, respectively.

Those are going to be the first real tests in terms of an intense atmospheres you will get in Spain. Look at how United played away to Sevilla last season. He could well receive a hostile reception in both of those matches. However, I think it will make him mentally stronger for the remainder of the season.

He has not played in any match with such a high capacity since away to Aston Villa in early January 21 (excluding matches at Old Trafford).

It is then the Spanish winter break. Getafe visit the Camp Nou on the 24th February.

The question is will Greenwood's ambition be heightened when he plays in these venues, if we are to assume he feels mentally strong to absorb what may be shouted or screamed at him during those matches?
I don't expect much negative chanting aimed at Greenwood even in those bigger games but we shall see. Remember Getafe are a tiny club so barely register for the big clubs, maybe if he scores it will be different.

Spanish press seem only complimentary so far:
https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/...der-scored-by-man-utd-loanee-mason-greenwood/

Mason Greenwood praised
Following the game, Marca raved that Getafe fans are beginning to “enjoy” watching Greenwood as he shows the ability that made him “one of the young pearls of European football”.

Their match report continued to add that Getafe are being “led” by the Englishman who scored a “work of art”.

Meanwhile, Mundo Deportivo declared “goal of the year?” in their headline after the game before labelling Greenwood “an idol in Getafe” due to his recent form which has seen two assists and a goal in his last three games.

AS then led with the line that the on-loan United player is “an amusement park” with a wide repertoire of skills. They praised his two-footedness and the goal he scored, which they also labelled “goal of the season”.

united for life

He scored a great goal over the weekend. A left footed rocket from outside the box. Something Antony has been trying to do for 2 years without hitting the target

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
You’re talking like Antony hasn’t put ones in the top corner a few times.
There’s absolute light years between them as all round footballers though. Greenwood is a natural - he’s one of those that makes football looks easy. His touches, decision making are just naturally effective. Antony is mechanical as if he’s always working hard to do the basics as is the case for many footballers. Which is fine but that’s what separates good players from great players. That’s not to mention Greenwood’s shooting technique which is clearly an anomaly even among the top bracket of players.

That doesn’t mean he’ll have a better or even a good career at all of course. We’ve seen many incredible talents waste their potential due to being morons / injuries / lacking drive.

Jeffthered

Would love him back, and there is a moral argument that states that he should be given that opportunity (because charges against him were withdrawn..). But I can't see it happen. Many people are waiting to bash Man Utd, and there would be powerful lobbies, gender crime, feminists etc, which understandably, would campaign against this.

The only, only chance he may have is a big, high-profile, well managed redemption, where he says that he is incredibly sorry, that he's young and completely lost his way, and would never wish to be seen in such a way. He should speak to the woman involved and tell her his intentions. He's born here and probably feels ostracized from the place he calls home, and that's ever so sad.

It's a shame. And I hope he can make a name and be fantastic elsewhere.

ROFLUTION

There’s absolute light years between them as all round footballers though. Greenwood is a natural - he’s one of those that makes football looks easy. His touches, decision making are just naturally effective. Antony is mechanical as if he’s always working hard to do the basics as is the case for many footballers. Which is fine but that’s what separates good players from great players. That’s not to mention Greenwood’s shooting technique which is clearly an anomaly even among the top bracket of players.

That doesn’t mean he’ll have a better or even a good career at all of course. We’ve seen many incredible talents waste their potential due to being morons / injuries / lacking drive.
You seem to forget that Greenwood wasnt physically present in games or rarely took players on. Played it even more safe at times than Antony. Great finisher and I’d agree he’s the bigger talent. But the Antony bashing is over the top - it’s not like he havent got technique or cant do flashy skills - its just that there’s little room for it in England so players like Greenwood and Antony probably gets instructed to play more simple as turnovers are more deadly here.

Antony just have very little output - like with many players in the Premier League. However if played consistently, they usually get better too after year one. Antony’s fecked up with his cases that’s for sure, but I don’t think he’s a loss on our books just yet.

Jeffthered

Can neither believe or understand any, any comparison with Antony.

Greenwood is in a different class. He is light years ahead of Antony as a footballer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

I was just responding to a comment that we don’t have anyone else that can put it in the top corner. Which was complete nonsense

Strelok

I was just responding to a comment that we don’t have anyone else that can put it in the top corner. Which was complete nonsense
This reminds me of the conversation I had with a poster about Pereirra couple years ago. Pereirra actually was capable of some crazy shot/pass but one of the problems with him is the ratio/percentage of such shot/pass against bad/super bad ones. It was like 1 %.

If you watch the highlights of last Getafe match you'd see Greenwood actually attemped such shot twice. Both were on target with insane power but only one was difficult enough to beat the keeper. How many times you'd see Antony manage to hit the goal with such power? My bet is like 1/20.

JohnnyLaw

Hope he's sold in the summer so we don't have to hear about him anymore.
He’d probably have to retire completely and reject a career in professional football alltogether for that to happen, which clearly won’t be the case.

I mean, many of us are still dwelling on Ravel Morrison, and he wasn’t even succesful.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Would love him back, and there is a moral argument that states that he should be given that opportunity (because charges against him were withdrawn..). But I can't see it happen. Many people are waiting to bash Man Utd, and there would be powerful lobbies, gender crime, feminists etc, which understandably, would campaign against this.

The only, only chance he may have is a big, high-profile, well managed redemption, where he says that he is incredibly sorry, that he's young and completely lost his way, and would never wish to be seen in such a way. He should speak to the woman involved and tell her his intentions. He's born here and probably feels ostracized from the place he calls home, and that's ever so sad.

It's a shame. And I hope he can make a name and be fantastic elsewhere.
I don't think a key witness withdrawing, prompting the prosecution case to collapse is a particularly high moral ground.

Red_toad

If he's mentioned as much as Ravel Morrison on here then I could live with that.
It's more the media, everyone who used to play for us and anything happens that's negative automatically reads ex United star, even if they're playing for another club.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
A couple of very good chances in the first half. Narrowly missed a goal on the first one. Otherwise, a pretty pedestrian performance from Getafe.

Yorke to Cole

A couple of very good chances in the first half. Narrowly missed a goal on the first one. Otherwise, a pretty pedestrian performance from Getafe.
I saw the clip where he first tried to play someone in, but the ball came his way and dropped his shoulder and aimed for the top left hand corner.

The reaction to the ball being diverted and come his way was interesting. There was a snap in his reaction as if to say natural instinct is coming back.

A disappointing result for Getafe as they now have 3 difficult fixtures coming up; home to Valencia, away to Sevilla and away to Atletico Madrid.

KjaAnd

As a football player he has always had the same mayor deficiency as Rashford: he doesn’t apply himself. It was very obvious again tonight. He plays within himself and doesn’t have that fire in the belly to press, win challenges or keep trying when things go against him or the team.

If he and Rashford had the tenacity of Rooney, Suarez and the likes, the would be twice the players.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Getafe were down to 10 men for nearly half the game for context. Getafe are pretty poor at the best of times so spending half a game down to 10 away from home wasn't the best of situations.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Getafe were down to 10 men for nearly half the game for context. Getafe are pretty poor at the best of times so spending half a game down to 10 away from home wasn't the best of situations.
He wasn't good before that though and he's definitely not a player you want when you're down to 10. This is just a reality check for those who keep claiming he'd be our best RW and we should bring him back in Jan.

Status
Not open for further replies.