Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alemar

Plus playing in a league/team mates where he doesnt speak the language
But other players speak English. It’s more or less common for every country to teach English in school - so even if not fluently, but his teammates should have at least basic knowledge of English

That said, G+A this time

chocolate cloud

We can't score a goal. Our wingers are toothless. And he's out in Spain scoring and assisting. Farcical, utterly farcical. I'm reaching the end of caring about football if this continues. Why bother watching today? Mctominay, Rashford or Hojlund aren't gonna score. Antony or Garnacho aren't gonna do anything. But yes, send our strongest forward on loan cos social media pressured man utd to not take him back. How is him playing in a different country doing us any help? I actually am livid.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd guess people aren't posting in that thread because there hasn't been anything new about the club's plans for him for months now.
Plenty of posts from this thread could have been in there. Why would you suggest people are waiting for news from the club before they post in there? People either want to talk about it or they just want to snipe at eachother... Looking at the inactivity in that thread I'd say it is the latter.

El Jefe

What hurts the most is the jump in performance we saw from Rashford in the Ole/Ralf season to what he did last year. Greenwood under the same circumstances would have truly flourished last season and we didn’t get to see that.

Watching him now you can see the same player is there, I think he just needs a long run of playing games which he’s currently getting. His stamina and sharpness still seem off but no surprises he’s getting stronger as the season goes on.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yup. So maybe you should take that up with whoever made that claim?
You’ve said on this very page he turned out to be not as good as we all hoped (this was stated as a separate point to him being a cnut and then doing what he did) - so I’ve assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you’ve based this on remembering that at 20 in your opinion he was going backwards - which even if he was out of form in a toxic chaotic team (I remember him being one of the few not totally shit) is no basis to judge his potential.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Plenty of posts from this thread could have been in there. Why would you suggest people are waiting for news from the club before they post in there? People either want to talk about it or they just want to snipe at eachother... Looking at the inactivity in that thread I'd say it is the latter.
Which then also applies to you and most other people in here.

You could have all been bumping the other thread all along with the talk of bringing him back or "why is the other thread not being used!!!" sniping, and leaving this strictly for performance talk of which a few clearly just want.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You’ve said on this very page he turned out to be not as good as we all hoped (this was stated as a separate point to him being a cnut and then doing what he did) - so I’ve assumed (perhaps wrongly) that you’ve based this on remembering that at 20 in your opinion he was going backwards - which even if he was out of form in a toxic chaotic team (I remember him being one of the few not totally shit) is no basis to judge his potential.
I was actually specifically addressing my own hopes for him in response to one of my posts from his debut season turning up when someone went post mining. The hopes and expectations for him were sky high but ended up tempered by the subsequent seasons. Which you want to attribute to external factors but I think that Greenwood himself contributed to that failure to kick on from a fantastic debut season. I’’m not arguing that he went backwards, just that we saw sufficient evidence to doubt the incredibly high expectations a lot of fans had for him (myself included) The big red flag for me at the time was when I looked up some defensive stats and he was just as poor as Martial and Rashford, which is never a good look for a wide player. That and him blowing out his arse an hour into every match he started. Again, not a good look for any professional footballer. He may still turn out to be a very good player. I really don’t care how his career goes from here to be honest. I only got dragged into this poxy thread because I saw someone making over the top claims about him, which I happened to disagree with.

Last edited:

afrocentricity

Which then also applies to you and most other people in here.

You could have all been bumping the other thread all along with the talk of bringing him back or "why is the other thread not being used!!!" sniping, and leaving this strictly for performance talk of which a few clearly just want.
If you have been frequently in this thread you'll see for yourself that most do stick to performance talk - until people come in on the windup and derail it.

On another note, why did you go to whataboutism if you agree with me?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Did a quick check and looks like your posts (and replies to them) are the only ones on the past few pages completely unrelated to his performances, past or present. Am I missing something here?

Pes6Monster

Greenwood's in better form than our current mediocrity but then again so is Anthony Elanga!

This thread is a good example of what would happen if Greenwood returns.

It's just a toxic mess and yes, I include
my own contributions into this conclusion. I have an agenda. It's an ethical one, too, am not ashamed of it. Many posters on here are exactly similar (though with other agendas). Let's not lie.

Either it cuts out any talk whatsoever about him returning or it will just continue as such. I'm okay with the latter.

afrocentricity

Did a quick check and looks like your posts (and replies to them) are the only ones on the past few pages completely unrelated to his performances, past or present. Am I missing something here?
I make a point and instead of address it posters would rather double down - redcafe. Can't say I'm surprised you're one of them.

I posted on topic yesterday but don't let that stop you

Fletchageddon

He's class. Only about 80% fit too. If he gets this full season in his legs and rests up well over the summer he will kick on further next year. So productive after so long off, will be interesting to see if he is happy at Getafe or if he wants to join a bigger club in Barca, Atleti or Real. Why would you want to come back to England and/or a failing United?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
We can't score a goal. Our wingers are toothless. And he's out in Spain scoring and assisting. Farcical, utterly farcical. I'm reaching the end of caring about football if this continues. Why bother watching today? Mctominay, Rashford or Hojlund aren't gonna score. Antony or Garnacho aren't gonna do anything. But yes, send our strongest forward on loan cos social media pressured man utd to not take him back. How is him playing in a different country doing us any help? I actually am livid.
Don’t blame the club, this was a self made mess.

fact of the matter remains that he didn’t kick a ball for almost 2 years. He needed to go somewhere out of the PL to get back to fitness without the glare of the media

now let’s keep it on topic

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
You know what would be amazing? If there was some sort of time machine which could have worked out how his career went after June 2020, when that thread was posted?

Greenwood looked an incredible prospect playing underage football and his first full season gave the impression he really was one of our most talented ever academy graduates. But the clock didn’t stop there, did it? Over the next couple of seasons the flaws became more apparent. His fitness was an issue. I think he rarely lasted 90 minutes. It also became obvious he was from the Martial/Rashford school of optional defensive work. He wasn’t big or strong enough to play through the centre, nor did he have a poachers instinct or movement. He clearly didn’t have the discipline or work rate to excel out wide, as well as seeming to not have the pace or dribbling skills we’d hoped he might have.

He also became less prolific as a goalscorer. In 2019/20 he was a 1 in 3 goalscorer. In his second two seasons he scored 12 goals and 3 assists in 50 games. Which is where my optimistic Rooney prediction turned out to be well wide of the mark. At the age he was then you want to see continuous improvement to have confidence a prospect will fulfil their potential. Which didn’t happen with Greenwood, who was trending in the opposite direction. Hence he was and is being overrated. And I have absolutely no problem admitting that I was one of the people who overrated him. That’s what football fans do. You should dig up some old threads on Januzaj or Guiseppe Rossi if this stuff floats your boat. Loads of good content for you there.

Bit weird to continue to get giddy about a former prospect who not only turned out not as good as we once hoped but is also a vile scrote - and hence probably won’t ever play for Manchester United again - but hey, takes all sorts.
Not of this wrong, but it doesn't negate that he was considered one of the best prospects in the world and in the history of United. This must be true if he was getting comparisons to Ronaldo and Rooney 3 years ago.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You know what would be amazing? If there was some sort of time machine which could have worked out how his career went after June 2020, when that thread was posted?

Greenwood looked an incredible prospect playing underage football and his first full season gave the impression he really was one of our most talented ever academy graduates. But the clock didn’t stop there, did it? Over the next couple of seasons the flaws became more apparent. His fitness was an issue. I think he rarely lasted 90 minutes. It also became obvious he was from the Martial/Rashford school of optional defensive work. He wasn’t big or strong enough to play through the centre, nor did he have a poachers instinct or movement. He clearly didn’t have the discipline or work rate to excel out wide, as well as seeming to not have the pace or dribbling skills we’d hoped he might have.

He also became less prolific as a goalscorer. In 2019/20 he was a 1 in 3 goalscorer. In his second two seasons he scored 12 goals and 3 assists in 50 games. Which is where my optimistic Rooney prediction turned out to be well wide of the mark. At the age he was then you want to see continuous improvement to have confidence a prospect will fulfil their potential. Which didn’t happen with Greenwood, who was trending in the opposite direction. Hence he was and is being overrated. And I have absolutely no problem admitting that I was one of the people who overrated him. That’s what football fans do. You should dig up some old threads on Januzaj or Guiseppe Rossi if this stuff floats your boat. Loads of good content for you there.
Erm, okay. You know that doesn't have anything to do with your initial post, right? You laughed at the idea that, at one point, he was considered one of the most talented talented young players in the world and to come from our academy in general, and there's evidence of you rating him as such yourself at one point. It doesn't matter if you changed your opinion in the future.

Bit weird to continue to get giddy about a former prospect who not only turned out not as good as we once hoped but is also a vile scrote - and hence probably won’t ever play for Manchester United again - but hey, takes all sorts.
Why come into this thread then? Stop taking it off topic with these childish digs if you don't like those of us discussing his football career.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Doesn’t it matter what he thinks too
Not to me. I'd say the world would be a better place if Mason Greenwood's thoughts stayed a mystery.

And not to United if they don't want him back.

And I didn't say his thoughts didn't matter, just in the grand scheme of things, that what he thinks is not the most important unknown in the equation,

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Not of this wrong, but it doesn't negate that he was considered one of the best prospects in the world and in the history of United. This must be true if he was getting comparisons to Ronaldo and Rooney 3 years ago.
While he was great, he's not the first academy prospect compared to ex-greats.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Why come into this thread then? Stop taking it off topic with these childish digs if you don't like those of us discussing his football career.
The whole debacle, both him and our reaction is a stain on the club, and the frothing in this thread is a stain on the forum.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I’ve done some research and it turns out he’s still a gigantic piece of shit so therefore I’ve decided I don’t want him back.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
He's class. Only about 80% fit too. If he gets this full season in his legs and rests up well over the summer he will kick on further next year. So productive after so long off, will be interesting to see if he is happy at Getafe or if he wants to join a bigger club in Barca, Atleti or Real. Why would you want to come back to England and/or a failing United?
:lol: feck me. I know he’s scored 3 goals this season and all, but if you think Real Madrid will be sniffing around you might have a surprise in store.

flameinthesun

The whole debacle, both him and our reaction is a stain on the club, and the frothing in this thread is a stain on the forum.
There is a thread for you to discuss the "frothing" and its not this one....

He's getting sharper and sharper, Getafe's goal now should be to try and get him in more goalscoring opportunities, although it will be difficult as he's probably also the only real creative player they have.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
:lol: feck me. I know he’s scored 3 goals this season and all, but if you think Real Madrid will be sniffing around you might have a surprise in store.
Multiple news outlets have already stated that Real, Barca and Bayern are scouting him…

He’s an elite player with very rare footballing qualities.

If you think he won’t end up at another huge club I think it’s you who’ll end up surprised to be honest mate.

Yagami

Good post resistant
To each their own. The world is full of people who like to believe people can change and deserve second chances in life, and those of us that do on this forum are just here to discuss his football career. It's like when I go back to watch United games from the 60s to early 70s. I can appreciate George Best the player despite whatever controversies he had outside of the sport, and still love hearing about him from people who watched him live.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
To each their own. The world is full of people who like to believe people can change and deserve second chances in life, and those of us that do on this forum are just here to discuss his football career. It's like when I go back to watch United games from the 60s to early 70s. I can appreciate George Best the player despite whatever controversies he had outside of the sport, and still love hearing about him from people who watched him live.
Having a second chance is not the same as having no consequences.

And he's still leading a very privileged life. That is a second chance. So we're all good on that count.

George Best lived in a time that tolerated violence against women, I'm glad that is changing, but as you say, to each their own.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There is a thread for you to discuss the "frothing" and its not this one....

He's getting sharper and sharper, Getafe's goal now should be to try and get him in more goalscoring opportunities, although it will be difficult as he's probably also the only real creative player they have.
I think a little context amid the sociopathic hero worship is important.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
While he was great, he's not the first academy prospect compared to ex-greats.
That is also true, but this is a little different than, say, a Macheda or Januzaj, as he was not only compared to greats but genuinely looked the part.

TsuWave

This has been reported. There also have been posts made by Getafe fans that been posted here that say Real and Barca have had scouts at Getafe games tracking him.

Pickle85

Tbh I think at least some of the extremely vocal hyper positivity comes from posters that spend most of their posts on the forum being professional contrarians.

flameinthesun

I think a little context amid the sociopathic hero worship is important.
And I'm sure everyone would love to hear your "context" in the other thread, as a staff member why don't you "encourage" discussion over there with the others who aren't interested in contributing regarding his performances, which to keep the thread on track have been increasingly better and better as well as the reactions from crowds towards him seeming to be less hostile.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Erm, okay. You know that doesn't have anything to do with your initial post, right? You laughed at the idea that, at one point, he was considered one of the most talented talented young players in the world and to come from our academy in general, and there's evidence of you rating him as such yourself at one point. It doesn't matter if you changed your opinion in the future. Which was already less good than the player we had hoped he would be when he first made his breakthrough.
You mentioned his potential in the context of the player we see now. How highly rated he was before this 18 months out of the game. You were trying to make the point that people were forgetting how good he was before he torpedoed his own career.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Think you are underrating his passing to be honest. He has good both long and short range passing. When on the right he often switched play with cross field passes with his left foot. He didn’t always get it right and being young was often selfish but he was way better than say Anthony in this regards.

As for his dribbling Saka is clearly better but he has a good turn of pace that actually allows him to go past players. His dribbling style is what often got him compared to Van Persie. He was no slouch at dribbling and frankly better at it than any of our current wingers
He is a technically very good player, I'm saying he didn't show creativity in his passing or dribbling on the pitch. His passing was always safe, his dribbling was safe and to keep possession... The only thing he did to a high level compared to others was get shots off.

These were his metrics in 20/21 compared to wingers:
  • Key passes - 8th percentile
  • Expected assists - 39th percentile
  • Passes into final 3rd - 13th percentile
  • Passes into box - 40th
  • Crosses into box - 42nd
  • Progressive passes - 26th
  • Take ons attempted - 54th percentile (57th for successful percentage percentile)
  • Progressive carries - 63rd
  • Carries into box - 77th (good)
  • Shots total - 92nd
  • Non pen xg - 79th
It basically just shows that aside from his shooting, he wasn't doing much. When he gets the ball in the attacking third, he'll run with it into the box and get a good shot off. That's his elite trait. He didn't really have anything else to his game that he did on a pitch beyond just being neat and tidy (not a problem, just he wasn't a winger... He was a poacher who played wide basically).

Garnacho on the other hand plays like much more of a winger, carrying the ball, getting at players constantly, and it's reflected in the data being in the high 90s for these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.