Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Teacher

There was no misrepresentation. You came up with an excuse, then lied when you got called out.

Anyway this isn't the thread for that, and I don't want to take up any more of your valuable posts.
I see you're still misrepresenting, although I agree it's best we don't derail the thread further.

Although just so you're aware: nobody cool has ever mocked someone else for being a noob on an internet forum.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I see you're still misrepresenting, although I agree it's best we don't derail the thread further.

Although just so you're aware: nobody cool has ever mocked someone else for being a noob on an internet forum.
I'm not mocking you. You just made one of the worst posts in one of the worst threads ever on this place, if anything I pity you. And I'm correct in that Pocco should not risk infractions, especially for someone who can't take responsibility for what they said.

Although, just so you are aware: That statement is very wrong too.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Only watched around 20 mins of the game and despite his obvious class (well above his teammates) he seemed very lazy and reluctant to do any sort of tracking back or defending. Was walking a lot of the time.

Not sure if it was tactical, a true reflection, or just the fact I watched 20 mins.

Thiagoal

Only watched around 20 mins of the game and despite his obvious class (well above his teammates) he seemed very lazy and reluctant to do any sort of tracking back or defending. Was walking a lot of the time.

Not sure if it was tactical, a true reflection, or just the fact I watched 20 mins.
To be fair when Sevilla had the ball the whole team dropped into position. I don’t remember anu occasions where he should have tracked back and he didn’t. There were times where the centre forward dropped in when he went more central but that was clearly tactical. His team barely conceded a chance to Sevilla either

RubyGabe

Sure could use him right now.

I want to see him be moved back into the middle though soon. It won't be for Getafe but that's where his overall highest potential is.
I don’t know whether he’s good enough to play for us as I’m not an expert but I do think that our club is not strong or united enough to get through the absolute s***storm if he comes back. Btw everyone deserves or needs a second chance

goalscholes

I’m really glad we have a performance thread, but it’s inevitable that his talent will shine through, top clubs will want to sign him for pittance, the majority know that he will greatly improve our team, and the vocal few will make their voices heard, so I don’t envy the mods.

I just hope those wanting to derail the thread don’t end up getting it closed.

JagUTD

From a purely footballing viewpoint, to lose nearly half your career 4 years in, he has been impressive in his rehabilitation.

As you might expect, the usual traits of a young player are still there but so are the thing is that made him stand out. Whatever happens in the future, you would expect him to have a successful career not to far away from we all thought he would.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Reading the thread this morning, he's definitely become underrated. What he's doing at Getafe is very impressive in context. This is not Greenwood at his best. This is Greenwood who's just missed, what, a year and a half of football, and has just come back to the sport in a new country, a new league, and into a new team that, to put it bluntly, isn't very good, and he's STILL performing and putting up numbers.

He was rightly considered as one of the most talented young players in the world and already one of the most talented players in general that Manchester United have ever produced, and could still become a world class player. I don't get how anyone could dispute this and call him overrated, myself.

It's a shame about him and Rashford, though. Producing local products in Rashford, Greenwood and Mainoo in such a short span of one another is very impressive, and it would've been great to see all three at their best play together for us.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I’m really glad we have a performance thread, but it’s inevitable that his talent will shine through, top clubs will want to sign him for pittance, the majority know that he will greatly improve our team, and the vocal few will make their voices heard, so I don’t envy the mods.

I just hope those wanting to derail the thread don’t end up getting it closed.
:lol:

It's a shame about him and Rashford, though. Producing local products in Rashford, Greenwood and Mainoo in such a short span of one another is very impressive, and it would've been great to see all three at their best play together for us.
This I very much agree with.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Reading the thread this morning, he's definitely become underrated. What he's doing at Getafe is very impressive in context. This is not Greenwood at his best. This is Greenwood who's just missed, what, a year and a half of football, and has just come back to the sport in a new country, a new league, and into a new team that, to put it bluntly, isn't very good, and he's STILL performing and putting up numbers.

He was rightly considered as one of the most talented young players in the world and already one of the most talented players in general that Manchester United have ever produced, and could still become a world class player. I don't get how anyone could dispute this and call him overrated, myself.

Heh.

Yagami

Good post resistant
It's true.
The revisionism is crazy. He wasn't one of the most talented young players in the world? Of course he was. He wasn't one of the most talented players we've ever produced? He definitely is. You don't need to see how their entire careers pan out to claim that the talent itself is up there. It's why Ravel Morrison is still talked about as one of the most talented players we've produced despite doing nothing in the game. Or even Duncan Edwards who, unfortunately, never got anywhere near his prime.

Being one of the most talented players we've produced is different to being one of the best players we've produced. Greenwood still has a long, long way to go to be up there with the best. Talent wise, though, he's already up there.

Remember the geese

The revisionism is crazy. He wasn't one of the most talented young players in the world? Of course he was. He wasn't one of the most talented players we've ever produced? He definitely is. You don't need to see how their entire careers pan out to claim that the talent itself is up there. It's why Ravel Morrison is still talked about as one of the most talented players we've produced despite doing nothing in the game. Or even Duncan Edwards who, unfortunately, never got anywhere near his prime.

Being one of the most talented players we've produced is different to being one of the best players we've produced. Greenwood still has a long, long way to go to be up there with the best. Talent wise, though, he's already up there.
All true. I'm not sure if people have genuinely forgotten or whether they are using his off the field transgressions against him and consciously diminishing his talent and potential as a result.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I'd agree in terms of what he could've been as a CF, but I don't think so from a RW perspective. I thought he was incredibly average as a wide player, though he scored the occasional screamer. But his potential was not big as a wide player as he did not have the right attributes for it or play style, unlike Saka.

Great shooting technique and ability to get a shot off is basically his extraordinary attribute, but before everything went down I definitely think his progression had been a bit underwhelming as a player. But I was blaming that more on team incompetence. He wasn't getting in the positions to score easy goals often enough (very low xG numbers for example), shot selection wasn't the best, not a particularly creative or a dynamic dribbler... Just solid all around with a great shot on either foot. Of course, very young, so the hope/dream was he'd progress like RvP. But from what he was when he was in the youth team and his first appearances, to how he actually progressed after 2.5 seasons of play ... He was a bit meh by the end.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Don't waste your time or risk infractions with that one.

The excuse he made for Greenwood in the other thread was one of the most pathetic posts in there and that's really saying something. He's still in the noobs for a reason
No longer in the Newbie

Getafe fans seem to think he won't be there past this season, with or without the clause. Comments from a couple of their forums after the 20% clause news came out (although a lot of them are writing 25%, maybe it was reported differently in Spain):

I'm scared....25%...buy it!!
Where is the hidden camera xd
What they came out with today is incredible (which Torres says as if he were talking about the weather)
We all assumed that at the end of the season Greenwood would leave and Getafe would get nothing for having recovered him for football (apart from what he helps the team this season).
Let's see if they can prevent Manchester from selling him this year, because I think that in two years this boy will have an exorbitant price.
Torres speaking like Greenwood can stay and the percentage makes it easier. A deal like this is incomprehensible. Manchester gain what from a percentage? I was content with one season. Don't torture us with hope! Even if he doesn't stay 25% would be remarkable.
WHAT!?!? a crack for free AND a percentage? torres i apologise for doubting you!!!
if we can keep him one more year without manchester selling or taking him back the boy can truly bring 100m+. even more if we can add a creator in the market so he doesnt have to produce gold from shit
If the operation is as they say, you have to give a 10 to Torres or whoever carried it out.
Let's not fool ourselves. Greenwood is a player of another level. We don't have the money to pay what he is worth or what he charges and the most normal thing is that he leaves here in the summer. The issue is that this summer United cannot ask for a mortar for him either, since his contract ends in 2025, so he can wait a year and leave for free.
It's a great operation but we have to think logically and say that it's unlikely we make a financial return. Greenwood has made new levels every month. There are scouts from Madrid, Atleti and Barcelona. It's not a surprise. The player instantly moves like a crack. Even from the start when it was low energy, no automatisms, you saw in small moments that it had another level. Then it went from moments to minutes. Now it's not minutes, it's games. You can see Greenwood is finding himself and the team are now counting on him. The most logical operation is Greenwood joins one of these clubs for free in 2025. Well no, the most logical is to return to Manchester but they don't seem to use much logic xd. I also don't see why Greenwood will go back even if he is called because many bigger teams without the luggage will fight for him
Very clear he will be a stable player at a Champions League contender minimum. He can be even more. I will just enjoy this season and hope Manchester sell in summer for a good price. Wishing for him to stay is a dream 20%, 25% it doesn't matter because it won't happen with so many sharks in the water for him.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Now at 9 (5G/4A) goal involvements in 14 appearances (11 starts)

Unexpected that he was even given penalty duty

Yorke to Cole

Now at 9 (5G/4A) goal involvements in 14 appearances (11 starts)

Unexpected that he was even given penalty duty

This would have been the biggest stage he has played in thus far in terms of a capacity crowd. It will be surpassed on Tuesday away at Atletico Madrid.

It was an impressive performance. He retained the ball very well, ran into spaces and showed good upper body strength.

Tuesday will be a stern test, but he will look forward to.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I'd agree in terms of what he could've been as a CF, but I don't think so from a RW perspective. I thought he was incredibly average as a wide player, though he scored the occasional screamer. But his potential was not big as a wide player as he did not have the right attributes for it or play style, unlike Saka.

Great shooting technique and ability to get a shot off is basically his extraordinary attribute, but before everything went down I definitely think his progression had been a bit underwhelming as a player. But I was blaming that more on team incompetence. He wasn't getting in the positions to score easy goals often enough (very low xG numbers for example), shot selection wasn't the best, not a particularly creative or a dynamic dribbler... Just solid all around with a great shot on either foot. Of course, very young, so the hope/dream was he'd progress like RvP. But from what he was when he was in the youth team and his first appearances, to how he actually progressed after 2.5 seasons of play ... He was a bit meh by the end.
I'm on the other end of the boat. I really liked him on the right and was fine with him there. I always thought he was a threat even when he was drifting out of games because he could always pop-up with a game changing moment. When he got the ball near the edge of the oppositions box, you could always see how panicked said opposition were because he could go either way. Sure, he didn't make the best decisions, but that's expected.

I think the drop off, which was undeniable, was to be expected. Not just because he's young and was playing for a club that didn't give anyone the right platform to perform, but because our change of setup. Personally, and this goes for Rashford, too, I don't think you can underestimate how much of an impact an in form Martial at CF had on them. The fact that he was so good at dropping deep and interchanging with them helped them so much, so when we went from him to more of a poacher in Cavani/Ronaldo, it effected their general games, too.
I'd guess the latter. I always remember Greenwood considered as one of the best prospects. I had to to check if I was misremembering, and I found this thread:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/where-do-you-rank-mason-greenwood-as-a-talent.455981/
@Pogue Mahone was very complimentary in this thread. Comparing him to Rooney isn't bad for a talent who's nowhere near one of our best! :D

Getafe fans seem to think he won't be there past this season, with or without the clause. Comments from a couple of their forums after the 20% clause news came out (although a lot of them are writing 25%, maybe it was reported differently in Spain):

Which forum is this?

AFC NimbleThumb

Incredibly average at RW is almost as ridiculous as the constant comparisons to Buyako fecking Saka.

We get it guys, Saka walks on water.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Incredibly average at RW is almost as ridiculous as the constant comparisons to Buyako fecking Saka.

We get it guys, Saka walks on water.
There was literally no winger focused attribute that he excelled in by any metric. He excelled in metrics that correlate to strikers. Hid creativity stats are shit. He doesn't dribble past players and didn't have impressive progressive passing or carrying numbers. His defensive work was mediocre. A wide poacher like Rashford is, sure.

JediSith

There was literally no winger focused attribute that he excelled in by any metric. He excelled in metrics that correlate to strikers. Hid creativity stats are shit. He doesn't dribble past players and didn't have impressive progressive passing or carrying numbers. His defensive work was mediocre. A wide poacher like Rashford is, sure.
Don’t think he was ever winger , played there yes. But his skill set and attributes made him more comparable to a RVP, who also started out wide in his younger days. Often this is done when teams have experienced strikers, also it gives the young striker the ability to develop other aspects of their game.

Also the way he was spoken about was always as a striker.

Strelok

When he got the ball near the edge of the oppositions box, you could always see how panicked said opposition were because he could go either way.
That's so true. One thing about naturally two footed and fast enough players is it's a nightmare for any defender to face them. You simply don't know which side he'd take you on or shoot from. This combined with his insane shooting ability, his crazy hip and that tiny backlift make him extremely dangerous if you lose him only for half a second. Make me remember his goal against Bournemouth again where the keeper shouting 'Don't let him shoot, don't let him shoot' :lol: That was quite funny and you don't see that often.

Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would know he's really really special. He's probably the best talent we've produced since Scholes imo.

He excelled in metrics that correlate to strikers.
Agree but tbf he doesn't need to play exactly like a traditional winger even if deployed on the right/left. Tbh if I was his manager I'd use him a bit like SAF did with Ronaldo back then. Build the whole team around him, let him drift into the box from wide and coach him on his decisions in/around the final third. Then just let him do his thing. Will score shitload I reckon.

Hid creativity stats are shit. He doesn't dribble past players and didn't have impressive progressive passing or carrying numbers.
If you watch his highlights at Getafe you'd see him dribbling past defenders and carrying the ball forward from deep quite alot. And his GA stats there are also quite balance between goals and assits imo.

I watched a couple of their matches highlights and imo they basically have two ways to attack. Either they cross and pray or give him the ball and expect him to do smth with it.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Both are true, though. It's not overrating, it's factual.
It's true.
Harsh words, but hang on… what’s this…?

Right now, Greenwood looks more polished than Rooney did at the same age. And I don’t think saying that is a slight on Rooney. Because Greenwood is - in my opinion - well capable of becoming a better striker.
Lots of people saying Rooney was miles ahead of him but isn’t Greenwood already more consistent, in terms of goals per starts? Rooney’s all round game and influence was probably ahead at this age (mainly because he was bigger/stronger) but I don’t think he was as consistent a goal-scorer. Greenwood has every chance of out-scoring him.
Hmm

dazjoe

There's both over-rating and under-rating of Greenwood going on in this thread.

No, if he was still at United this season he wouldn't walk into the team, or be the best forward at the club. He hadn't kicked a ball for 18 months, that has had a huge impact on his development and it's uncertain that he'll ever hit the heights he could have done.

But that's also the thing, this "He was never all that anyway" attitude is mental beyond belief. He was a fantastic talent and the sky really was the limit for him. As an 18 year old in 2018-19 he scored 17 goals in 49 games, 1 in 2.9 games. Compare that to other 18 year old forwards who were playing regular Premier League football.
Rooney? 2003/04 he was 18 and scored 9 in 40, 1 every 4.4 games.
Owen? 1997/98 he was 18 and scored 23 in 44, 1 every 1.9 games.
Ronaldo? 2003/04 he was 18 and scored 6 in 40, 1 every 6.7 games.
Anelka? 1997/98 he was 18 and scored 9 in 40, 1 every 4.4 games.
Stirling? 2012/13 he was 18 and scored 2 in 36, 1 every 18 games.
Fowler? 1993/94 he was 18 and scored 18 in 34, 1 every 1.9 games.

Owen and Fowler have him beat, however both playing as out and out strikers. Greenwood played as a winger and yet had a better ratio than all the other top young forwards, better than Rooney's and vastly better than Ronaldo's.

I'm not saying he was as good as Rooney or Ronaldo but he honestly had the world at his feet, and if it wasn't for you know what then I'm certain he'd be a 30+ a season forward. Also, as 18 year olds he was substantially better than Saka, it's more weird revisionism to even try and claim otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.