Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagami

Good post resistant
That's so true. One thing about naturally two footed and fast enough players is it's a nightmare for any defender to face them. You simply don't know which side he'd take you on or shoot from. This combined with his insane shooting ability, his crazy hip and that tiny backlift make him extremely dangerous if you lose him only for half a second. Make me remember his goal against Bournemouth again where the keeper shouting 'Don't let him shoot, don't let him shoot' :lol: That was quite funny and you don't see that often.

Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge would know he's really really special. He's probably the best talent we've produced since Scholes imo.
Ha, I remember that goal!

Dude, do you remember that period where we were winning penalties galore? So much so that it was getting called out by opposition managers. That was because our front three of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood were absolute menaces to defences, and Greenwood - on the right - was not a passenger in this. That trio outscored Liverpools that season if I recall correctly, too. The problem was near enough everything behind them and depth.

I don't think Greenwood on the right was a problem at all. The problem was - after Martial became too injury prone - the replacements just didn't compliment him or Rashford. We went from a "false 9" to poachers, and that left them too isolated out wide compared to when we'd have a forward coming over to support and interchange with them.

TsuWave

the most logical is to return to Manchester but they don't seem to use much logic xd. I also don't see why Greenwood will go back even if he is called because many bigger teams without the luggage will fight for him

feck me. we really fell off

suheilsworld

I’ve been pro on him being back for us since he started playing for Getafe. He’s been well supported by the fans and Getafe senior management in Spain. The most important question is whether he wants to come back to England and face the media biased against him and the fans, his own and rival, ready to massacre him every day.
I really hope he gets a second chance with us

izec

Dont think he will be back here. Probably sell him to a big club and see him blossom into a top player. The top 3 Spanish and Italian teams would be idiots not to go for him for a relatively cheap price, potentially bargain of the century.

Pronewbie

Peep
When he played for us he was an average RW and pretty good RF at PL level. Really gave me Van Persie vibes of learning his craft and then transitioning into that CF role when ready.

He was a bit limited in his all-round attacking play to be considered a generational talent in my books apart from his clinical 2-footed finishing and decent pace.

But hey, sign me up as a Greenwood back fan as we sorely need a young and learning RVP right now, and also because I believe in 2nd chances in most cases with the right rehabilitation plan in place.

Strelok

Ha, I remember that goal!

Dude, do you remember that period where we were winning penalties galore? So much so that it was getting called out by opposition managers. That was because our front three of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood were absolute menaces to defences, and Greenwood - on the right - was not a passenger in this. That trio outscored Liverpools that season if I recall correctly, too. The problem was near enough everything behind them and depth.

I don't think Greenwood on the right was a problem at all. The problem was - after Martial became too injury prone - the replacements just didn't compliment him or Rashford. We went from a "false 9" to poachers, and that left them too isolated out wide compared to when we'd have a forward coming over to support and interchange with them.
Yes I do Bruno was also on fire that season and it was Klopp who made the comment I think.

Both Rashford and Greenwood were more of a striker than a winger so agree a #9 like Martial would suit them better. Martial of that season was also very good if my memory serves me right. We had a fluid front three all of them could dribble, create and score and drop to interchange or swap position with each other. Then Bruno popping up out of nowhere in the box.

I can't remember exactly but if my memory serves me right (again) we were flying after we signed Bruno and went unbeaten for the rest of the season. And the main problem was our CAM position with Perreira, Mata and Lingard before we had Bruno I think.

We also looked very promising with Greenwood as a #9 at the start of the 2021/2022 season. Then we signed Ronaldo and things sadly went tits up.

klsv

you know whats crazy?

Hes the EXACT type of winger we need and some of you guys dont want him back. Everyone is suddenly morally perfect (obviously what he did, if he did it, is messed up). He does deserve a second chance though. Arent they back together? If she gave him a 2nd chance, why cant United? Not an excuse, but if he did do it, he was also very young and theres plenty of time for him to change and make things right. Bring him back.
Wish I could reply to this, but sadly I'd get told to that this is only about Greewood's performance, so you'll have to discuss this with the rest of the people who want him back.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yes I do Bruno was also on fire that season and it was Klopp who made the comment I think.

Both Rashford and Greenwood were more of a striker than a winger so agree a #9 like Martial would suit them better. Martial of that season was also very good if my memory serves me right. We had a fluid front three all of them could dribble, create and score and drop to interchange or swap position with each other. Then Bruno popping up out of nowhere in the box.

I can't remember exactly but if my memory serves me right (again) we were flying after we signed Bruno and went unbeaten for the rest of the season. And the main problem was our CAM position with Perreira, Mata and Lingard before we had Bruno I think.
The majority of that sounds about right to me, though we definitely didn't go unbeaten because that was the season we lost to Sevilla in the shootout, right?

His performance just flashed up on my YouTube homepage:

His improvements in regards to his physicality are on show here. He's clearly getting back into his rhythm. He's holding off opposition players with his strength and is turning them inside and out with his agility and sudden bursts of acceleration. The only problem I have with this video is that the uploader intentionally cuts out bits that were probably mistakes on Greenwood's part. I prefer "vs" videos that show everything so that you get the proper feel of the performance.

Still, he looked much better here in terms of his physical attributes.

Strelok

The majority of that sounds about right to me, though we definitely didn't go unbeaten because that was the season we lost to Sevilla in the shootout, right?

His performance just flashed up on my YouTube homepage:

His improvements in regards to his physicality are on show here. He's clearly getting back into his rhythm. He's holding off opposition players with his strength and is turning them inside and out with his agility and sudden bursts of acceleration. The only problem I have with this video is that the uploader intentionally cuts out bits that were probably mistakes on Greenwood's part. I prefer "vs" videos that show everything so that you get the proper feel of the performance.

Still, he looked much better here in terms of his physical attributes.
My bad I mean in the PL only.

Agree he's getting back to his best and even looks a bit stronger. However it's hard to tell but imo he still looks a bit slower than he used to.

Pes6Monster

We also looked very promising with Greenwood as a #9 at the start of the 2021/2022 season. Then we signed Ronaldo and things sadly went tits up.
Greenwood between 2020-2022 was frequently shunted wide in order to capitalise on his pace, and to accommodate another forward.

2021-22 started well but anyone watching us could see the 'hollow middle', with Ole's peculiar 'rope-a-dope' tactics eventually leading to the inevitable fall. Ronaldo became a convenient scapegoat, but our problems were much deeper and rightly saw Ole's obviation.

Read the thread rules. This thread is only for player performance chat.
If it's only about 'player performance', why are so many posts encouraging a 'second chance' allowed to stay whereas any critical posts immediately deleted?

Wish I could reply to this, but sadly I'd get told to that this is only about Greewood's performance, so you'll have to discuss this with the rest of the people who want him back.
Too true.

What's really galling is the tone. You'd think he was the victim in all of this, and he's been 'forced out' due to 'political correctness'.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
If it's only about 'player performance', why are so many posts encouraging a 'second chance' allowed to stay whereas any critical posts immediately deleted ?
Nothing has been deleted recently other than one long post that was completely off topic.

Strelok

2021-22 started well but anyone watching us could see the 'hollow middle', with Ole's peculiar 'rope-a-dope' tactics eventually leading to the inevitable fall. Ronaldo became a convenient scapegoat, but our problems were much deeper and rightly saw Ole's obviation.
No I don't think Ronaldo was a scapegoat. Before we signed him we were doing pretty well. Even a couple matches after we signed him we still did quite well. I've checked and we had 13/15 points in the first five matches back then. I still remember the multiple threads about us challenging or even winning the title before that season.

Back then under Ole we usually play with a low/middle line, double pivots and try to high press a bit when possible. And of course focused on counter attacking. That setup was pretty effective against teams who want to go at us. A bit crap when facing teams who sit deep though. And our midfield was often a mess. But we still did well enough to go on an unbeaten 29 away matches record in the PL into the 2021/2022 season.

After the arrival of Ronaldo our tactic turned to god know what. A suicidal very high line. Mostly 4-2-4 and the focus was pass to Ronaldo. And because of him refusing to press (or unable to) our high press or pressing in general simply didn't exist. He could not hold the ball against the PL defenders, could not dribble could not pass and his tendency to run into the box and shoot on even the slightest chance also ruined our fluid attack front three. He was also too slow to chase the ball in a fast counter. Then the dressingroom became so divided and toxic. Ole didn't have the balls to deal with Ronaldo. The rest is history.

Anyway it's a bit off topic so let's agree to disagree I think.

Last edited:

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
He had a frightening breakout season (19/20), and his next season was very good too, but by 21/22 he had been dragged down with the rest of the team. Bright start before Ronaldo, and then nothing much.
He clearly had talent, mostly amazing shooting, but he had very obvious weaknesses too - stamina, not great back to goal, and not great when hemmed in on the touchline, which made it difficult to know his best position - 9 or RW.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Depends on the general societal attitude towards Greenwood at that point in the future - perhaps the old saying of time heals all wounds will hold true.

I'd give it around half a second before your season ticket is snapped up by someone else on the gargantuan waiting list.
You'd think that, but we couldn't attend the Bayern Munich match and our seats didn't sell. Besides, I couldn't care less if it sold or not.

But if you think he'll just stroll back into Old Trafford without any the same blowback then you're mistaken. The club mugged off the fans by writing a vague statement about letting him go to rebuild his career, clearly expecting that meant he wouldn't be returning. I called out out at the time, because I know that we're run by snakes, but it'll get people's backs up if they try to bring him back.

In the event he does come back, it will completely ruin the name and the image of the club. Everyone will talk about it. He'll get abuse up and down the country. It won't be a good look for whoever owns the club. The best thing they can do is sell for a much as possible, distance us from him, and go and spend that money on a top player or two.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Posted in the (wrong) thread, but for me Mason just has 'it' - that intangible feeling you get when you watch a footballer with real, top-level talent. It's in the way he receives the ball, and the first touch out of his feet. Obviously his shooting technique is probably his strongest attribute above that. Even if his numbers aren't ridiculous, just watching the clips you can see in the way he moves that talent-wise it's no problem.

You add to that the fact that he's probably going to end up being a CF - a position we desperately, desperately need and it makes so much sense that some of the media report that ETH thought he was going to be in the squad this season.

What I and most of us can't speak to is what kind of mentality Mason has. Given the choice to go to Getafe, and play every week, it suggests some pretty strong discipline and drive. Can he be a great team player? Not yet sure, but he's obviously missed 2 years of extremely important development time with regards to tactics.

For pure footballing reasons, it seems obvious the best solution would be to let him finish a full season with Getafe, and then bring him back as a CF/RWF option.I know this isn't the thread for it, but a well run PR campaign could enable it, in my opinion.

Given the way we're run, I'd therefore assume we'll see him for peanuts to a major club, who are able to turn him into a 100m striker, while we keep fielding a 35 year-old Martial.

Irrational.

If Mason Greenwood went to Arsenal and became a success story the press would love him. His misdemeanours would become mere footnotes.

Football sanctimony is and always has been selective. Players are villains and heroes depending on the badge emblazoned on their chest. The press never want after David Luiz, despite the most egregious examples of cheating. They also gave Luis Suarez a very easy ride for countless times he bit people and even racially abused someone.

While there's no doubting what Greenwood did was deeply wrong, and that he should be cast off, but the fact that he is attached to this club is why he will be villified. If he were an Arsenal or Manchester City player, he would still be playing in their first team.
You make a valid point. What MG was abhorrent and deserves to be exiled, but the attention to him seems so much bigger compared to Chelsea who played an actual murderer/ drink driver for years, or City who had Joey Barton. Dog-whistling bandwagoners like Rachel Riley don’t help either.

There were also rumours about Arsenal continuing to play a certain someone despite him being under investigation- whereas we’d have suspended and buried him at the first sign of news.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I'm on the other end of the boat. I really liked him on the right and was fine with him there. I always thought he was a threat even when he was drifting out of games because he could always pop-up with a game changing moment. When he got the ball near the edge of the oppositions box, you could always see how panicked said opposition were because he could go either way. Sure, he didn't make the best decisions, but that's expected.

I think the drop off, which was undeniable, was to be expected. Not just because he's young and was playing for a club that didn't give anyone the right platform to perform, but because our change of setup. Personally, and this goes for Rashford, too, I don't think you can underestimate how much of an impact an in form Martial at CF had on them. The fact that he was so good at dropping deep and interchanging with them helped them so much, so when we went from him to more of a poacher in Cavani/Ronaldo, it effected their general games, too.

@Pogue Mahone was very complimentary in this thread. Comparing him to Rooney isn't bad for a talent who's nowhere near one of our best! :D

Which forum is this?
You know what would be amazing? If there was some sort of time machine which could have worked out how his career went after June 2020, when that thread was posted?

Greenwood looked an incredible prospect playing underage football and his first full season gave the impression he really was one of our most talented ever academy graduates. But the clock didn’t stop there, did it? Over the next couple of seasons the flaws became more apparent. His fitness was an issue. I think he rarely lasted 90 minutes. It also became obvious he was from the Martial/Rashford school of optional defensive work. He wasn’t big or strong enough to play through the centre, nor did he have a poachers instinct or movement. He clearly didn’t have the discipline or work rate to excel out wide, as well as seeming to not have the pace or dribbling skills we’d hoped he might have.

He also became less prolific as a goalscorer. In 2019/20 he was a 1 in 3 goalscorer. In his second two seasons he scored 12 goals and 3 assists in 50 games. Which is where my optimistic Rooney prediction turned out to be well wide of the mark. At the age he was then you want to see continuous improvement to have confidence a prospect will fulfil their potential. Which didn’t happen with Greenwood, who was trending in the opposite direction. Hence he was and is being overrated. And I have absolutely no problem admitting that I was one of the people who overrated him. That’s what football fans do. You should dig up some old threads on Januzaj or Guiseppe Rossi if this stuff floats your boat. Loads of good content for you there.

Bit weird to continue to get giddy about a former prospect who not only turned out not as good as we once hoped but is also a vile scrote - and hence probably won’t ever play for Manchester United again - but hey, takes all sorts.

Last edited:

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Yeah he had a lot of footballing potential. Potential to be a great player for us. But he's also a shitebag. Besides, bringing him back would create more problems for us than it would solve.

DuruttiColumn

He will probably sign for Barca or Real and the press won’t say a word. The only criticism will be of United if we try and get a fee for him. Pathetic

flappyjay

Antony, pellistri, Garnacho, Rashford, Rasmus and Martial 6 goal contributions in the league. Greenwood 7 goal contributions in la liga after 18 months without any football. Question his character but not his ability.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
This would have been the biggest stage he has played in thus far in terms of a capacity crowd. It will be surpassed on Tuesday away at Atletico Madrid.

It was an impressive performance. He retained the ball very well, ran into spaces and showed good upper body strength.

Tuesday will be a stern test, but he will look forward to.
Yes Tuesday will be his biggest test so far, both football wise and potential hostile atmosphere

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Antony, pellistri, Garnacho, Rashford, Rasmus and Martial 6 goal contributions in the league. Greenwood 7 goal contributions in la liga after 18 months without any football. Question his character but not his ability.
That’s such a stupid comparison. Well done for being better than a bunch of players who are absolutely stinking the place out. What an achievement.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I’ve been pro on him being back for us since he started playing for Getafe. He’s been well supported by the fans and Getafe senior management in Spain. The most important question is whether he wants to come back to England and face the media biased against him and the fans, his own and rival, ready to massacre him every day.
I really hope he gets a second chance with us
That's definitely not the most important question regarding Greenwood.

flappyjay

That’s such a stupid comparison. Well done for being better than a bunch of players who are absolutely stinking the place out. What an achievement.
How stupid of me comparing him to other forwards despite him starting with a handicap of no pre season and more than a year without football. By your logic the comparison makes sense only if the other forwards are doing well.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
How stupid of me comparing him to other forwards despite him starting with a handicap of no pre season and more than a year without football. By your logic the comparison makes sense only if the other forwards are doing well.
How about comparing him with players at the same team? Greenwood has 3 goals (one of them a penalty) from 13 games. Mayoral has 10 goals from 17. Should we be signing him? He seems to be a much better player than all our strikers put together? As well as, obviously, shitting all over Mason Greenwood in a much fairer comparison.

RedRoach

There was literally no winger focused attribute that he excelled in by any metric. He excelled in metrics that correlate to strikers. Hid creativity stats are shit. He doesn't dribble past players and didn't have impressive progressive passing or carrying numbers. His defensive work was mediocre. A wide poacher like Rashford is, sure.
Think you are underrating his passing to be honest. He has good both long and short range passing. When on the right he often switched play with cross field passes with his left foot. He didn’t always get it right and being young was often selfish but he was way better than say Anthony in this regards.

As for his dribbling Saka is clearly better but he has a good turn of pace that actually allows him to go past players. His dribbling style is what often got him compared to Van Persie. He was no slouch at dribbling and frankly better at it than any of our current wingers

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Elanga has 6 contributions in the PL. Should we be looking to bring him back?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Plus playing in a league/team mates where he doesnt speak the language

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
How about comparing him with players at the same team? Greenwood has 3 goals (one of them a penalty) from 13 games. Mayoral has 10 goals from 17. Should we be signing him? He seems to be a much better player than all our strikers put together? As well as, obviously, shitting all over Mason Greenwood in a much fairer comparison.
How about comparing players in the same position? Mayoral plays up front - Greenwood plays wide in a 4-4-2. I honestly don’t get why you’re trying to pretend he isn’t a top talent. He should never play for this club again. He was arguably the best prospect the club produced in decades and still has the talent to be a very good player. Both those things can be true simultaneously. The idea he was never that good anyway and at 20 was in some terminal decline or it isn’t impressive how much he’s contributing so quickly after 18 months out playing abroad is just weird.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
How about comparing players in the same position? Mayoral plays up front - Greenwood plays wide in a 4-4-2. I honestly don’t get why you’re trying to pretend he isn’t a top talent. He should never play for this club again. He was arguably the best prospect the club produced in decades and still has the talent to be a very good player. Both those things can be true simultaneously. The idea he was never that good anyway and at 20 was in some terminal decline or it isn’t impressive how much he’s contributing so quickly after 18 months out playing abroad is just weird.
Yup. So maybe you should take that up with whoever made that claim?

Status
Not open for further replies.