Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I think it'll take him a long while to get going. I think that factor was underestimated by many on here to begin with.

He was nowhere near the finished product. In fact he was quite repetitive with the way he would always cut in and look for the quick shot. He'd have a lot of work to do to become a 9 anyway.

Talented but he's lost crucial development time and will be rusty on top of that.
I think you are right. Let's hope he focuses and mature in the mean time.

So much talent in those two feet

Mwooyo

That's one aspect of football for a forward, especially given many expected him to be a 9 eventually, which personally I'm not sure about. Much of his game was about creating a half yard and shooting early. It was a great ability to have. And yes I didn't mean to imply he did it off one foot like Antony, only that he was always looking to get within the box and find a feint or shimmy to get an early shot off.

But ultimately if was going to become a rounded forward there was loads and loads he needed to polish up to add more dimensions to his game and obviously this break in development will not have been ideal.
Nah...just say you havent really watched greenwood play as a CF. His hold up was excellent as well as his one on one skill level. His finishing was top class too. The thing you can say he needed more of was to up his work rate and to be less selfish ie set up his team mates more. But he was absolute class. He got shifted out to the RW because we had no right winger at the time and also to fit in martial, cavani and ronaldo all who couldnt play off the RW. If he hadnt missed these 2 years, he would 100% be our CF and we wouldn't even be talking about martial or rashford playing there. I get the feeling that greenwood is actually underated versus his talent level...people see the minor flaws and think he wasnt all that. For people who saw his complete game straight from the academy, He absolutely was all that.

Mainoldo

Totally disagree. The problem with Foden for me is the players like DeBruyne playing in his best position. Think though hardly unsuccessful he is to a degree wasted at City as he should be one of the best number 10s in the world by now. He played there for one of the very few times a week or so ago and was the best player on the pitch by a mile, wasted out wide.

I think his first touch is one of the best I have seen, absolutely stellar in that regard. Also has good movement, awareness, vision. Really hope he gets a good run of games in that position with the DeBruyne injury and hope he isnt moved out wide again with Nunes put in there....not for the premiership, but for England as he just has to play there for his country over the likes of Mount and Maddison who are all good players for that role, but Foden there is just a different level and we are just not seeing it sadly
I will be honest with you. The best players stand out on their teams. Yes he’s still young. But nobody questions Mbappe, De Bruyne hell bring it back to Scholes and Beckham’s status in our team.

Phil Foden does not have that status at Man City or England. Not denying he can play abit. But he’s nowhere near what people keep trying to tell me he is. He’s just a good footballer. Nothing special.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
The club seen enough on social media to backtrack.
The mistake the club did was to allow the social media to spin out of control... Even before the internal leak.
They need to build a landing strip for him. Surely the communications director knew that.
Everything has been allowed to spin from one direction. It's incompetence

Baxquux

Looks a lot sharper than the last ones we saw
Must be partly a mental thing. Training in suspense, not being sure whether you going to be permitted to restart your career or not as well as anticipating some level of initial pushback even if you were retained, will definitely weaken you at a subconscious level and translate into your play. It'll probably still take him a month or so to get into the swing, but I'd say 13-14 La Liga goals plus a couple in the cups by the end is feasible....

Hoof the ball

He's not played for 18 months, which could be a thing, but then I've seen players injured for that time and come back even better.

I don't think the absence will affect him as much as folks suspect it might.

bdecuc

Nah...just say you havent really watched greenwood play as a CF. His hold up was excellent as well as his one on one skill level. His finishing was top class too. The thing you can say he needed more of was to up his work rate and to be less selfish ie set up his team mates more. But he was absolute class. He got shifted out to the RW because we had no right winger at the time and also to fit in martial, cavani and ronaldo all who couldnt play off the RW. If he hadnt missed these 2 years, he would 100% be our CF and we wouldn't even be talking about martial or rashford playing there. I get the feeling that greenwood is actually underated versus his talent level...people see the minor flaws and think he wasnt all that. For people who saw his complete game straight from the academy, He absolutely was all that.
Absolutely. Looked like he had the attributes to be a world class centre-forward.

jadaba

Apparently the break clause is a normal part of loan deals.

From The Athletic:

"A Getafe spokesperson confirmed to The Athletic the loan deal also includes a break clause that could be triggered in January, should the parties be unhappy with how the move has developed. This is standard practice in many loan deals, rather than an indication that United are planning to recall him midway through the season once his football is up and running."

flappyjay

Apparently the break clause is a normal part of loan deals.

From The Athletic:

"A Getafe spokesperson confirmed to The Athletic the loan deal also includes a break clause that could be triggered in January, should the parties be unhappy with how the move has developed. This is standard practice in many loan deals, rather than an indication that United are planning to recall him midway through the season once his football is up and running."
Its more likely that Getafe send him back if there was big outrage from their fan base, than United take him back.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He's not played for 18 months, which could be a thing, but then I've seen players injured for that time and come back even better.

I don't think the absence will affect him as much as folks suspect it might.
That's exactly what I've been thinking. People are acting like 18 months out is the end of the world. Shaw missed a comparatively long time (12 months) after his leg break at around the same age and came back just fine.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's for the optics. Getafe take the heat, their fans generate the sentiment and then he returns having been cheered and not jeered for half a season.

PR is about optics.
Yeah. From the clubs pov - they can have Greenwood be an "outstanding character" while out on loan, wanting nothing but to make amends and be a good person, and then take the firm stance Getafe did right from the off and that would be that. Him going on loan was always the easiest path to reintegration.

Saying that, I think if it was my job as the PR lead at United I would've done a far better job at this than what the club did. If they wanted to reintegrate him this summer, they handled it unbelievably poorly and had 0 understanding of what was actually needed. Now they get another year of scheming how to do it while Getafe takes the initial hit (which won't be that big imo), while also seeing if he is actually still good enough. But I'm pretty convinced that if he actually is good enough, the club will take him back next summer.

saivet

Its more likely that Getafe send him back if there was big outrage from their fan base, than United take him back.
Or that Greenwood, United or Getafe aren't happy for one reason or the other.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No fecks given by Getafe. He is an environment where he is wanted by club and fans. He has to mentally prepare himself for the away fixtures.
TBF I don't think Spanish fans will care too much or know a whole lot about him to really give him shit every game.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yeah. From the clubs pov - they can have Greenwood be an "outstanding character" while out on loan, wanting nothing but to make amends and be a good person, and then take the firm stance Getafe did right from the off and that would be that. Him going on loan was always the easiest path to reintegration.

Saying that, I think if it was my job as the PR lead at United I would've done a far better job at this than what the club did. If they wanted to reintegrate him this summer, they handled it unbelievably poorly and had 0 understanding of what was actually needed. Now they get another year of scheming how to do it while Getafe takes the initial hit (which won't be that big imo), while also seeing if he is actually still good enough. But I'm pretty convinced that if he actually is good enough, the club will take him back next summer.
I fully believe this too.

SonOfFergie

This situation that he is going through has already made a huge impact on him as a human being and also on his career. It is to be seen if he can come back from it and learn to become a better person. But if his partner that was the victim found a way to continue relationship with him and essentially forgive him whatever he did then also I think he should be allowed to continue with his career and try to redeem itself.

Skills

Snitch
If he ever becomes a 30 goal a season type of striker, it'll be funny to see the England national team squirming around to find a reason to pick him.

Chief123

How curious that Mason has a break clause in his contract so that he's eligible for recall in January.
How do you know that?
Yep he does. But it’s often normal nowadays with the loan deals. In this instance I’d imagine Getafe have the option to break it and insisted on it. They wouldn’t want to keep paying wages or someone who didn’t work out beyond Jan.

Oldyella

The club really doesn't want to get rid, Arnold will go begging to Rachel Riley on his knees for her approval.
Maybe Getafe wanted that clause in case it doesn't work out, same as we have with Reguilion?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
One of the worse things is he’ll be like an 100m player now. If palmer from city went for 45 then surely greenwood’s close to 100. The guys lethal in front of goal aswell.

Delano

It'll be interesting to see how Getafe manage it.

Playing at home, they'll barely be any away fans in the stadium so he'd be somewhat protected from the abuse from the stands.

Away from will be a completely different story. I'd imagine he'd get absolute pelters.

It seems like they don't give a shit so he'll play in both, but they could just play him at home initially.

Anyway, as the videos show, he's levels above and is still one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen. Shame he's a complete bell end.

TsuWave

One of the worse things is he’ll be like an 100m player now. If palmer from city went for 45 then surely greenwood’s close to 100. The guys lethal in front of goal aswell.
The Athletic reported the club valued at/higher than £100M. Rightly so. Top 5 highest scoring teenagers in the prem and was a starter for Man United at 19. He was one of the best teenagers in world football.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

Playing at home, they'll barely be any away fans in the stadium so he'd be somewhat protected from the abuse from the stands.

Away from will be a completely different story. I'd imagine he'd get absolute pelters.

It seems like they don't give a shit so he'll play in both, but they could just play him at home initially.

Anyway, as the videos show, he's levels above and is still one of the most naturally gifted players I've ever seen. Shame he's a complete bell end.
You’re assuming that people in Spain care as much. There won’t be anywhere near the focus on him as in England probably.

saivet

Suppose it depends on the general feeling in Spain towards the signing, which I'm not privy too. He'd be getting pelters in the UK but people may not be aware of what's gone in much detail and or they might not be too bothered.

Getafe are certainly leaning into as much Greenwood content as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.