Mason Greenwood | 2023/24 Performances | on loan to Getafe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He’s a world class talent, levels above Antony and Garnacho, no surprise leading clubs are interested. He’d make the first 11 of any team in the league except maybe City. Would rather give him a second chance than lose him for nothing or in exchange for a worse player.
Probably not Liverpool or Arsenal either, but he certainly would at Man United.

flameinthesun

Trust me if Antony does this, you’ll be singing a different tune.

I would take Mason back as a greedy striker, not as a winger at all.
If Antony scored 18 goals in his debut season I'd be very happy. If he also produced the attacking threat that Mason produced in that clip I'd also be very happy. He is a right forward, that clip shows exactly what he should be doing, there may have been 1 occasion when maybe you could argue he should have passed to Bruno....but guess what....that's what you'll get with a 20yo.

There is a revisionist history going on here. Mason had a great first full season, not a decent or good first full season, a great one based on his age. He struggled in the second season as expected. In the season Ole got sacked myself and many fans remarked that his all round play and linking with the team had improved a lot and matured, even if he wasn't scoring as readily as he did in his first season. Despite that in that last season he even won us a few games. So yes I would take him back as striker or as a winger. Guy has been the best right sided attacker we've had post fergie at the age of 18 and you wouldn't want him back on the right side because of a clip.

Strelok

That's the thing. Our barometer shouldn't be "better than Antony". We need to start targeting genuine quality. Raphinha has all the flaws I said Antony had before he joined us. He can't dribble, he's very weak under pressure, lacks the consistency to play in tight spaces.

If we're going to lose Greenwood, which I think is inevitable, it's going to be a huge problem (not that it already hasn't been a problem) because he was one of the very, very few players we had who could dribble, could shield the ball under pressure, and showcased the close control and technical ability needed to play in tight spaces. Replacing him with Antony was terrible at the time, but not learning from that and then bringing in Raphinha would be even worse.

We have to start prioritising players who can dribble, can keep the ball under pressure, can play in tight spaces, etc. Raphinha doesn't fit the bill.
Tbh I don't watch Raphinha much so I'd take your words on this. Problem is any RW who can do what you describe at the top level will cost a fortune and I don't think we'd have the money for that. Then the market is just so dire atm. Especially in Jan when no team wanna sell their best players . And we desperately need someone who can dribble can cross can create can score right now. Imo the second half of the season will be very ugly if we can't fix that.

Anyway if Raphinha is no good then let's forget about him.

Robbie Boy

Losing him is going to be bad enough. Losing him and replacing him with Raphinha, though? That'd be adding insult to injury.
The Raphinha wankfest on here was hilarious. I remember one poster claiming he's going to show everyone just how world class he is at Barca. That's gone well...

the_cliff

He’s a world class talent, levels above Antony and Garnacho, no surprise leading clubs are interested. He’d make the first 11 of any team in the league except maybe City. Would rather give him a second chance than lose him for nothing or in exchange for a worse player.
He'd start at City, especially with Mahrez gone.
He wouldn't start over Saka, Salah and Palmer though.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Tbh I don't watch Raphinha much so I'd take your words on this. Problem is any RW who can do what you describe at the top level will cost a fortune and I don't think we'd have the money for that. Then the market is just so dire atm. Especially in Jan when no team wanna sell their best players . And we desperately need someone who can dribble can cross can create can score right now. Imo the second half of the season will be very ugly if we can't fix that.

Anyway if Raphinha is no good then let's forget about him.
Not if you have good scouts, my friend!

Because we've been so deprived of players with these attributes for so long now, the majority of our fan base have been conditioned to believing that players like this are rare. They're not! There's plenty out there. We just need to prioritise these attributes when evaluating what a player will bring here. We've already been doing it for our developmental teams for a good few years now which has added to my confusion when it's come to what we prioritise for the first team.
The Raphinha wankfest on here was hilarious. I remember one poster claiming he's going to show everyone just how world class he is at Barca. That's gone well...
Dude, I was labelled a bit of a negative nelly due to this at the time because everyone else was excited but, that summer, when it looked like it was either going to be him or Antony, I was so deflated. I just didn't get how you could watch either of them and think they were good options considering their flaws. Especially physically. You can't be a top wide player here in England without acceleration/pace and the strength to deal with physical duels on top of excellent technique, and both of them were completely lacking in that regard.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
What I’ll say is that watching Utd right now is an absolute chore and frankly there’s very little to be excited about at the club. Bringing Greenwood back would be one of the few things we could do that would instantly excite me and make me want to tune in because he’s a player that can just make something happen. He’s capable of creating and finishing his own chances and I think that’s an incredibly rare commodity. That’s not even forgetting that he’s still young and can get even better in the right settup and after regaining his confidence. Personally I see this thread on the page and I’m immediately there wondering if he’s done something else special, very few other threads get that reaction from me.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Palmer? Don’t make me laugh, he’s levels above. Saka and Salah fair enough, both are world class whereas Greenwood only showed the potential. What I would say though is I would never have swapped Greenwood for Saka when both were breaking through so I still think Greenwood could have a higher ceiling.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Bowen is better than Raphinnia. Comfortably too
Agreed. If you read Raphinha's thread on Barcaforum, it's a carbon copy of our Antony thread. Praised for his hard work but so many complaints about his actual qualities on the ball. Though, as @The_Midfielder said before, he does get some praise for his crossing.

If we're going to lose Greenwood to Barca, and that's a big if right now, Raphinha would be near the bottom of the list of players I'd want from them to sweeten the deal.

Remember the geese

Greenwood is better than Palmer, obviously. Or, he was I should say. Better than Saka too, though I'd play Greenwood at centre forward for Arsenal. Same at Liverpool, I'd start Greenwood as a 9.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Hope it's true that other clubs are trying to sign him so that there's no chance of him returning. I've backed Ratcliffe, but if he oversees his return then he's done in my eyes. We're such a fecking desperate club with desperate fans, looking for a quick fix.

RVN1991

Greenwood is better than Palmer, obviously. Or, he was I should say. Better than Saka too, though I'd play Greenwood at centre forward for Arsenal. Same at Liverpool, I'd start Greenwood as a 9.
Kinda want him to come back just to bump the ridiculous overrating happening in this thread. Jesus Christ whats next? He's better than prime Maradona as well?

Yorke to Cole

It will be interesting to see how he performs against in that close and potentially hostile atmosphere.

It will be the largest capacity crowd he would played in since January 2022.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
That is shocking clause to give no matter how you spin it. That is a player whos potentil fee can go up to 40-50 mil. In that case we payed them around 10 mil to have first teamer in their squad. :lol:
If we got anything like that the 20% would be a bargain as you couldn't get a packet of crisps for him when Getafe took him on loan.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well better in natural shooting/finishing, but definitely not anything else. I would say Saka is the most all round winger in world football today, and very productive in terms of goals+aissits too. Greenwood never reach that level of all roundness/productivity/consistency.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Well better in natural shooting/finishing, but definitely not anything else. I would say Saka is the most all round winger in world football today, and very productive in terms of goals+aissits too. Greenwood never reach that level of all roundness/productivity/consistency.
He hasn’t reached it because his continuity and development were interrupted for 18 months.

As for Saka, he’s never really impressed me relative to the hype he’s been bestowed. Good player but not particularly entertaining from a winger perspective, nor does his finishing have that wow factor that Greenwood’s does when he’s in form. Whenever we play them, Martinelli is usually the player who concerns me the most.

the_cliff

Palmer? Don’t make me laugh, he’s levels above. Saka and Salah fair enough, both are world class whereas Greenwood only showed the potential. What I would say though is I would never have swapped Greenwood for Saka when both were breaking through so I still think Greenwood could have a higher ceiling.
Based on performances so far this season, yes.

Palmer has been far better this season than Greenwood has and yes I know there are reasons for that but no way in hell is Poch dropping the current Palmer to potentially play Greenwood back in to form.

@Remember the geese Same applies to your post.

You'd think Greenwood is prime Rooney/Ronaldo the way he's been spoken about.

Remember the geese

Based on performances so far this season, yes.

Palmer has been far better this season than Greenwood has and yes I know there are reasons for that but no way in hell is Poch dropping the current Palmer to potentially play Greenwood back in to form.

@Remember the geese Same applies to your post.

You'd think Greenwood is prime Rooney/Ronaldo the way he's been spoken about.
Depends. If Pochettino believes that he can get Greenwood to achieve his full potential, then he will be a far better player than Palmer. He will also be a far better striker than Jackson.

Hammondo

He hasn’t reached it because his continuity and development were interrupted for 18 months.

As for Saka, he’s never really impressed me relative to the hype he’s been bestowed. Good player but not particularly entertaining from a winger perspective, nor does his finishing have that wow factor that Greenwood’s does when he’s in form. Whenever we play them, Martinelli is usually the player who concerns me the most.
Yes but finishing is only 1 small part of the game, the rest of the game Saka is better and has played better.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Yes but finishing is only 1 small part of the game, the rest of the game Saka is better and has played better.
I think Saka is the more complete player, but not necessarily because he’s a better player. Greenwood could‘ve easily had his best year during the year he was away from the game, which has set him back in terms of development.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Different opinion then. Saka has impressed me alot over past 2 years or so. I would say he is among top 2 right winger in the world today. Greenwood has potential but thats that, not everyone could reach their full potential. For example, Pogba has higher potential than any other midfielders in the world today, but he is playing far from that level during his peak years with his lack of consistency and decision making. Greenwood share the same weakness in terms of consistency/decision making.

Hammondo

I think Saka is the more complete player, but not necessarily because he’s a better player. Greenwood could‘ve easily had his best year during the year he was away from the game, which has set him back in terms of development.
Might have been his worse, who cares about could have? We can only deal with what was.

Ted Lasso

Starting to think he deserves a second chance. But only because he and his partner have reconciled.
Changing my mind as well. Mainly because I was on such a moral high horse about it and now just feel absolutely numb from the apartheid and genocide I've been complicit to by being a tax paying American. Feck everything. The world needs more forgiveness and doing better. Hope the Greenwood family is able to fully heal and move on from this.

Trequarista10

If we got anything like that the 20% would be a bargain as you couldn't get a packet of crisps for him when Getafe took him on loan.
Agreed. It really incentives Getafe to invest in him, give him playing time, and try to get the best out of him. Which often isn't the case with loanees. Its actually a smart idea.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Changing my mind as well. Mainly because I was on such a moral high horse about it and now just feel absolutely numb from the apartheid and genocide I've been complicit to by being a tax paying American. Feck everything. The world needs more forgiveness and doing better. Hope the Greenwood family is able to fully heal and move on from this.
I love that he is playing well and getting his groove back. Its great to see his progress. I hope he proves me completely wrong. I was completely against him playing for us again, the incidence of repeat domestic abuse is pretty high but if he and his family are able to work this out and a season from now he is doing great as a dad and husband I would love to see him back.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Hes scored 2 goals in 840 minutes. Of course our forwards haven't been exactly firing, but its best for the club, and his family if he moves on.

Strelok

Not if you have good scouts, my friend!

Because we've been so deprived of players with these attributes for so long now, the majority of our fan base have been conditioned to believing that players like this are rare. They're not! There's plenty out there.
The hard part is doing it at the top level. And have good GA. Such player is actually quite rare these days imo. Tbh I can't even name one young RW or #9 who might fit the category above and might be cheap.

With how the data industry has evolved in the last 20 years imo it's quite hard to find a hidden gem these days. Most good young players have been closely monitored since a very young age. Then also signed very early by those selling clubs. It's not as simple as having good scouts I think.

Edit: think Amad might fit the category above but he's a bit lightweight for the PL imo. Glad he's fit now so we might see what the lad can do soon.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

Hes scored 2 goals in 840 minutes. Of course our forwards haven't been exactly firing, but its best for the club, and his family if he moves on.
He’s still abit rusty. He’ll probably connect his feet and brain properly again by March to which I’m sure our team will still be shite.

Mwooyo

People forget but Mason was really good CF...he would start over Gabriel Jesus, Jackson, and even Nunez (given how many chances he misses). GW is a top top talent and he isn't yet fully back to his best (he is still better than all our forwards right now though). It shows with the caliber of clubs interested. if he stays out of the news off the pitch, he will end up at Real Madrid or Barcelona by the time his contract expires.

Pickle85

People forget but Mason was really good CF...he would start over Gabriel Jesus, Jackson, and even Nunez (given how many chances he misses). GW is a top top talent and he isn't yet fully back to his best (he is still better than all our forwards right now though). It shows with the caliber of clubs interested. if he stays out of the news off the pitch, he will end up at Real Madrid or Barcelona by the time his contract expires.
Based on what we saw of him at United and so far in Spain he wouldn't start ahead of either Jesus and Nunez, both of whom contribute much more to their sides that greenwood did. People forget how much he drifted in and out of games and how little he contributed when he wasn't scoring.

cafecillos

It's hard to imagine what we'd be reading if he were actually tearing it up in La Liga. He's not doing that much and we're already seeing insane overrating day in day out, it almost sometimes reads like a race to prove what fan can overrate him more outrageously.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
When he was at United, he was considered potentially the crown jewel of the United squad. But after not playing for nearly 18 months, the only question is whether he can get back on track.

I'm not sure why many here are treating him like some kid who has just come up from the academy or has been unproven.

We know what his potential ceiling is—one of the best teenagers in the world. I am really surprised at how many here seemed to have forgotten.

The only real question is whether he can get back to his projected trajectory.

Acquire Me

A friend of mine watch a lot of la liga and have seen everything from Getafe so far. In his opinion he would walk into our team and probably a lot of the top teams in Europe now.

I have watched a couple games with him and Greenwood got better and better. His crossing with both feet is better than before. We could really need him this season. And his finishing is unreal and that we definitely need.

SER19

Showed enormous potential, but also scored 12 goals in his last 50 league games for us - its a fair at best record. People sometimes talk as if he would instantly transform our attack - he showed the same problems and anonymous appearances as plenty of our players through the years

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Showed enormous potential, but also scored 12 goals in his last 50 league games for us - its a fair at best record. People sometimes talk as if he would instantly transform our attack - he showed the same problems and anonymous appearances as plenty of our players through the years
his attitude is shit. we have enough of those kinds of pricks already. give me 11 players that leave everything out on the pitch each game. i don’t care if that means they can’t curl one in from 30 yards.

SER19

his attitude is shit. we have enough of those kinds of pricks already. give me 11 players that leave everything out on the pitch each game. i don’t care if that means they can’t curl one in from 30 yards.
agreed. there are plenty of teams out there with 'less talented' players, performing much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.