Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Some of you guys need to read, it doesn't say that we are selling him och terminating his contract. It says the following:

All those involved, including Mason, recognise the difficulties with him recommencing his career at Manchester United. It has therefore been mutually agreed that it would be most appropriate for him to do so away from Old Trafford, and we will now work with Mason to achieve that outcome.

Notice the use of the word recommencing and not continuing which would imply that it will be an initial loan before a new decision will be made.

I still wonder where this outrage where when Chelsea bought [Irrelevant point] who killed a girl in a drunk driving accident and then payed of her family to avoid a sentence in jail?
Yeah they've definitely left the door open to him coming back after a good spell elsewhere. They're just waiting to see if he is able to make a comeback on the pitch, and whether the negative PR will die down a bit over time. I reckon they'll probably try it and quickly u-turn after the backlash. Again.

siw2007

It’s a huge relief that this is put to bed. I’ve largely been happy with the process the club has taken up to recent weeks, it is important that the club has established as many facts as it possibly could do before making a decision. The past week has been a little unsavoury, I’m not sure how much truth there was in that we were prepared to bring him back as opposed to the possibility being put forward and planned for as noted in the statement, but out of all the information collected they didn’t account for the backlash this past week, we went from being in control to allowing the media to have their way with us.

Overall, I feel the decision is correct and reasoning behind it that was given by the club to be sensible and reasonable. It would have been very difficult for Mason to come back, he would have been putting on a United shirt and asked to play for us away from home, he wouldn’t have been treated as an opponent, he would have been an enemy. It would have been a very difficult predicament for both teams and the referee. Because of this, England and Man United in particular is just not a good environment for him to continue his career. As we go forwards, as noted by the club, we must still put the victims interests at heart in this as well.

Infestissumam

not going to lie, it's pretty disheartening to see quite a number of posters defending him and offering nothing but a "cancel culture/woke mob" word salad. Not that it's that surprising these days, but still ... grim.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
This decision is wrong on so many levels.
A young kid, that grew up watching a handful of incompetent managers spunk money at average players like Pogba, Bastian, Lingard and co, has been brought up in that environment and I can bet my house nobody ever has spoken to him about values and important things in life. He goes on and makes a mistake. His wife then forgives him, goes to have a kid with him, but the internet gang, and the innocent nuns of twitter don't give it a break, do they? They have to single him out, and forgiveness or remorse are not things they could ever talk about, could they?

Well fecking done internet justice league. You achieved it. You must be fecking proud with yourselves. I wish you go to hell.
I can not support a club that has such fans. I hope you all go to hell.
Drag your knuckles elsewhere then.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
This decision is wrong on so many levels.
A young kid, that grew up watching a handful of incompetent managers spunk money at average players like Pogba, Bastian, Lingard and co, has been brought up in that environment and I can bet my house nobody ever has spoken to him about values and important things in life. He goes on and makes a mistake. His wife then forgives him, goes to have a kid with him, but the internet gang, and the innocent nuns of twitter don't give it a break, do they? They have to single him out, and forgiveness or remorse are not things they could ever talk about, could they?

Well fecking done internet justice league. You achieved it. You must be fecking proud with yourselves. I wish you go to hell.
I can not support a club that has such fans. I hope you all go to hell.
This is one of the most vile posts I’ve ever read.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
For a start, all the evidence in that trial wasn't deemed fake.

As for Greenwood, both he and United suggest in the statements that those social media posts are real.
No but it is possible for that to be taken out of context and be part of a much longer argument/conversation: the point is we don't know and I'm loathe to find someone guilty and hearsay and one tiny bit of evidence.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Regardless of the case this is a scarry bit. So United belive he is innocent but want him out becasue of branding issues?
More likely I would say is that United had to get Greenwood's sign-off /approval of it so they can mutually terminate his contract, and having that line in the statement was part of his terms.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I haven't ignored it, I clearly said they were aligned, you are just choosing not to highlight it to suit your opinion.
I don't have an opinion, if you read I said I don't know what happened, and people that are saying they do are lying

mu4c_20le

But competence from a sports "journalist" is less surprising?
He got his hands on some documents, and he leaked/wrote about them. Its what they do.

This also isn't the first time The Athletic wrote negative articles about our club and the way its run.

erikcred

I personally think the decision is correct just because it would be a massive distraction to the team.
Can't argue with that. I think the dilly-dallying has made things so much worse. If it was some random company dropping an employee with this sort of a recording out there (whether found guilty or not), no one would complain as he has, in some sense, damaged the company reputation. It's just because it's us that it's become such a circus. Normally I'd heave a sigh of relief that this is over and turn to the next game for distraction, but that's not going so well for us either.

gaffs

Did no one here follow the Depp trial? There was plenty of images there too, deemed fake by the court, all created with makeup. There was out of context audio there too, it came to light with the full recordings.

The whole judicial system is built on innocent until proven guilty, plenty of times people have looked guilty from the outside and then it has come out later that they did nothing wrong. I am more surprised that Mason is deciding to stay with this woman after a mountain of false allegations. He should throw her to the curb, too bad he knocked her up.

And the club should be ashamed, who are they to think they can run an investigation better than the police. As soon as charges were dropped he should have been back in training.
So you saying his girlfriend, who was in her teens at the time, was photoshopping images of abuse?

The police were not able to run an investigation because she refused to cooperate, no doubt due to pressure from him, or the realization that her lavish lifestyle would be over.

And im sure he would have dumped her, but that would have been a bad look. He needed her, and her baby to project the happy family image.

Wouldn't be surprised if he drops her now.

LARulz

I will still maintain that the club should have let him go on loan if they really wanted to bring him back, I stead they've fecked up on all fronts

It's right he didn't come back but they did it all wrong. Either do it quicker and without it looking like a forced decision

Wishe

Except he did and we all know it. Some prefer to stick their head in the sand and pretend he didn't for the sake of football or "anti-wokeness", but they too know.
It's not our job to know. That would be the job of the police conducting the investigation and they came to the conclusion that the evidence against Mason Greenwood was not sufficient to prosecute. And so we should be welcoming him back with open arms.

Quagmire Maguire

Glad he is gone, supporting United with him as part of the first team was going to be very hard to stomach and I would have been wishing him to be on the end of a career ending challenge every game he played for us. He may not have been charged but we all heard that audio and I just can't unhear it.

Ahmer Baig

Well I'm pissed right off, some club is getting a top quality player, and it will be for peanuts...
I wanted him back in , but UTDs board have given in to peer pressure from other quarters..

I hope the boy goes on and plays his football abroad and scores shit load of goals , comes back as a visiting player in CL or Europa league or conference league and scores a Hattrick .... and i will cheer every fecking goal, I've followed this club since 8 yrs of age and I'm seriously thinking of feck it now .....
You are no true United fan if you cheer a player scoring against the club.

roy'skeen

United should sell him abroad on a free but secure a sell on clause. I can't see him ever coming back to England or playing for England.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's pointless unless they can figure out a way to put out more details. I'm guessing they can't due to the sensitive nature of the recordings. "Trust us, he isn't guilty" isn't good enough for such a high profile case.
Its not pointless at all, and its not their right to put out the details.
Same as its not the right of the CPS to disclose details of the new evidence which came to light

They are telling us these things and legally that's all they are allowed to do.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
It’s a sorry state of affairs that a young man made a mistake and Manchester United cannot rehabilitate him. Truth be told Masons biggest issue is the public nature of that night, in that we’ve all heard it. United have had players and former captains arrested for drink driving, for punching a woman in a pub and for alleged exposure and attempted rape on a club tour. Other players at other clubs have killed people and come back to play.

Yes the audio was terrible but it’s only the most public situation of its nature in football, not the worst.

redIndianDevil

So it took the club 1.6 years to reach a decision and write 2 paragraphs about it. Wow, I'm sure a thorough inquiry has been completed by our masterminds.
An extended 1-2 years loan would have made more sense, time will tell how good will he become, as a footballer, nobody can predict that now.
What else do you want? A Netflix documentary?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I guess that might be something to do with the new evidence the CPS mentioned when they dropped the case and the family agreed with it
New material, not new evidence.

Teja

The club states that the evidence suggests he didn’t abuse her.
That's the bit that's hard to understand for me and it'd be interesting if there were leaks of the full story. It could be an outright lie of course (or a carefully crafted media message after consulting with the victim + her family to get the story straight w/o disagreements) but it seems like there's more to this case than just the one shocking recording.