g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Whenever he gets the ball in that position he has them on toast. It's just his teammates nearly always refuse to play there.
Their manager also seems to insist on going 4-4-2, which isn't helping. They should just go with Marjoral as striker with the wingers getting more license to roam.

Yagami

Good post resistant
1-1 FT. Him, Isco and, to a lesser extent tonight, Fekir were a cut above the rest.

Yagami

Good post resistant
There was talk about what fee we could expect for him last week or so. Some thought we'd get less than £30m if I remember correctly.

On talent alone he's £100+m and, even if you knock that down due to us potentially wanting rid no matter what, I think we could still expect more than £30m.

The big question marks were if he'd still cope with top level football and he's proven he can. He's been one of the best players on the pitch against both Madrid sides. So much so he had Griezmann praising him post match. These performances are going to help us when clubs try bargaining.

There was talk about what fee we could expect for him last week or so. Some thought we'd get less than £30m if I remember correctly.

On talent alone he's £100+m and, even if you knock that down due to us potentially wanting rid no matter what, I think we could still expect more than £30m.

The big question marks were if he'd still cope with top level football and he's proven he can. He's been one of the best players on the pitch against both Madrid sides. So much so he had Griezmann praising him post match. These performances are going to help us when clubs try bargaining.
I think at the very least the likes of Atletico will be offering us €50m, would still be an absolute bargain for them if no-one else is prepared this Summer to take on his ”baggage”.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne

He's not worth £100m+, he's was only worth that to premier league clubs and I'm pretty sure they're completely off the table for him. With his baggage, you're probably looking at only Spain or Italy who'll buy him. Good luck ever getting an Italian club to pay more than £30m for him.

So we're left with Spanish clubs and realistically the only ones that could pay that sort of fee are Atleti, Real and Barca. Real will have zero interest in him with their frontline options, so it's basically Barca or Atleti if we want more than £30m.

If Barca were interested, it would have to be creative with players and fees with their levers. Seems unlikely an easy deal would be struck.

Atleti have only paid more than £30m on a player 4 times. Has he really done enough in la liga to warrant that? I don't think so. That's before we get onto the fact that his lack of work rate is not going to be of interest to a manager like Simeone or any manager who expects their forwards to press or defend.

I think Barca would be the most likely option to achieve a transfer more than 30m in value, but it would probably require us buying someone off them. I've not even taken into account what their fan base might think - if there's anyone in this thread that is a Barca fan, they could comment.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
He's not worth £100m+, he's was only worth that to premier league clubs and I'm pretty sure they're completely off the table for him. With his baggage, you're probably looking at only Spain or Italy who'll buy him. Good luck ever getting an Italian club to pay more than £30m for him.

So we're left with Spanish clubs and realistically the only ones that could pay that sort of fee are Atleti, Real and Barca. Real will have zero interest in him with their frontline options, so it's basically Barca or Atleti if we want more than £30m.

If Barca were interested, it would have to be creative with players and fees with their levers. Seems unlikely an easy deal would be struck.

Atleti have only paid more than £30m on a player 4 times. Has he really done enough in la liga to warrant that? I don't think so. That's before we get onto the fact that his lack of work rate is not going to be of interest to a manager like Simeone or any manager who expects their forwards to press or defend.

I think Barca would be the most likely option to achieve a transfer more than 30m in value, but it would probably require us buying someone off them. I've not even taken into account what their fan base might think - if there's anyone in this thread that is a Barca fan, they could comment.
You never know but I'd guess we would be delighted if we got anywhere near 30 mill for him. I'd guess a much smaller fee and a sell on clause is far more likely. I'd also guess that it won't be to one of the top 3 teams in Spain.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
You never know but I'd guess we would be delighted if we got anywhere near 30 mill for him. I'd guess a much smaller fee and a sell on clause is far more likely. I'd also guess that it won't be to one of the top 3 teams in Spain.
A slightly smaller fee than that with a sell on-clause would probably mean a sideways move or small step up from Getafe. I'm just not sure who that would even be and would he even want to do a sideways step? He is doing well enough for himself to believes he warrants a step up, I think.

Bondi77

How about starting a poll on where we think he will be playing his football next season?

Cloud7

How about starting a poll on where we think he will be playing his football next season?
I can imagine him at Atletico, however Barcelona are the ones I’m hoping are in for him, as they have no money so are likely to want to do some sort of player swaps, and they have a few players that would be handy in our team (If it can be done legally of course, you never know with them)

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
A slightly smaller fee than that with a sell on-clause would probably mean a sideways move or small step up from Getafe. I'm just not sure who that would even be and would he even want to do a sideways step? He is doing well enough for himself to believes he warrants a step up, I think.
It doesn't matter what he wants though. United almost certainly won't want him back and I doubt any big clubs will need him or want the baggage. Especially not for a big fee.

cafecillos

It doesn't really matter what his market value could be under normal circumstances (I think claiming he's a £100m player is ludicrous, but okay) as long as potentially interested clubs know United can't or won't keep him.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
It doesn't matter what he wants though. United almost certainly won't want him back and I doubt any big clubs will need him or want the baggage. Especially not for a big fee.
I mean, it will, he's still got a lot of power over where he goes. It's naive to think if we agree the best deal with say, Fernabache, he'll go there. I agree with the rest of what you said though.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Nah, he will be back. Too many holes in the team to buy another RW. I think INEOS will make the sensible decision.
I don't know how you can say that with a straight face. You think there will be no blow back from making such a decision? Surely even those who want him back can see it's a massive gamble to bring him back as to what the effect will be?

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Talking about a footballer playing football on a football forum, shocker!
It's what we say when we talk that can be problematic.

Ignoring an examination of what the poster said against the allegations, this thread alone shows bringing a divisive player back would be anything but sensible.

You need to "wind your neck in" isn't that the phrase you used?

Nobody is stopping anyone discussing football, so stick that.

IrishRedDevil

It's what we say when we talk that can be problematic.

Ignoring an examination of what the poster said against the allegations, this thread alone shows bringing a divisive player back would be anything but sensible.

You need to "wind your neck in" isn't that the phrase you used?

Nobody is stopping anyone discussing football, so stick that.
Anytime someone comes in and says something positive about football, they have the likes of you jumping on them, changing the subject away from football.

Where does he play if he comes back? Garnacho has shown more than Greenwood did on the right and he isn't a natural number 9 like Hojlund. I don't think he would or should be a rotation player at this stage of his career but there's no regular spot for him anymore.

I think with a year out of the British media spotlight and a stronger management structure we'd bring him back if we wanted to, but i don't know if we would anymore.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Anytime someone comes in and says something positive about football, they have the likes of you jumping on them, changing the subject away from football.
Ah well. Blame the club, they exiled him.

Just ignore the posts about him allegedly attempting rape and beating the shit out of a woman. Or maybe look at the pictures of his alleged victim with bruises and blood streaming down her face for context?

IrishRedDevil

Ah well. Blame the club, they exiled him.

Just ignore the posts about him allegedly attempting rape and beating the shit out of a woman. Or maybe look at the pictures of his alleged victim with bruises and blood streaming down her face for context?
I've seen it, years ago. I'm not going to berate him on socials, I'll leave all that to the opposition fans on Twitter.

He's back playing football and its not a crime if some of us choose to focus on that.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The urge to go down the Hitler was good at painting route but it feels too Godwin's Law. Ah well I did it anyway.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I've seen it, years ago. I'm not going to berate him on socials, I'll leave all that to the opposition fans on Twitter.

He's back playing football and its not a crime if some of us choose to focus on that.
Calm down petal. Nobody said it was a crime.

It's you crying and whining that others see it differently and won't let you ignore the images of the beaten woman.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
To an extent, perhaps.

However, when people just post on his performances (and only that), this doesn't tend to happen.

It's when people add "we could really use him" or "I hope he returns next season" or "he's miles better than Antony" that they get "jumped on", as you say - which is 100% predictable and 95% avoidable.

ETA Stick to posting about his progress in Spain without making comments about his future at United, and people will for the most part leave you alone.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Where does he play if he comes back? Garnacho has shown more than Greenwood did on the right and he isn't a natural number 9 like Hojlund. I don't think he would or should be a rotation player at this stage of his career but there's no regular spot for him anymore.

I think with a year out of the British media spotlight and a stronger management structure we'd bring him back if we wanted to, but i don't know if we would anymore.
Good question. I think it's very debatable whether Garnacho has shown more than Greenwood on the right, far better work rate, but Greenwood is clearly a better goal threat. He'll never be a 9 at an elite level for me, so it would have to be RW if he was to come back. He'd have to win that spot off of Garnacho at the moment.

I think he'd have had to shown an extreme amount of talent to warrant management ever considering his return. He's not done that. I think that would be the only condition where United would consider bringing him back with the issues they'd have if they did.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Good question. I think it's very debatable whether Garnacho has shown more than Greenwood on the right, far better work rate, but Greenwood is clearly a better goal threat. He'll never be a 9 at an elite level for me, so it would have to be RW if he was to come back. He'd have to win that spot off of Garnacho at the moment.

I think he'd have had to shown an extreme amount of talent to warrant management ever considering his return. He's not done that. I think that would be the only condition where United would consider bringing him back with the issues they'd have if they did.
Ah he'd be a great addition without the bullshit, baggage and battery.