Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If Man United think he didn't do it but don't have the balls to stick up for him, they deserve the stick.
I'd say in some professions that would be fair, but not for a football club as highly scrutinised as United.

I also am sure the club don't think he did 'it' in terms of a prosecutable crime, but he certainly did enough to tarnish his reputation and crediblity. It barely matters that he wasn't convincted, he makes his living playing in front of the court of public opinion - that's his jury.

Maticmaker

The only way United will get a decent price for Mason Greenwood is if he can be re-integrated in the club, where he would wear his 'sack-cloth & ashes' in public and at the same time demonstrate he is still a worthy bet as a player, capable of bringing a top price.

Is it likely to happen... doubt it?

Pughnichi

Think us saying he could stay is just merely to keep his price as high as it can be. If we told the world we wanted rid…we’d get basement offers. Change the narrative to him still being a useful asset…then other clubs need to pay market value if they want him

macheda14

Greenwood moving from a domestic "rival" after a case where the evidence was a lot more public would be very different. The scrutiny (perhaps showing the inconsistency in how these things are covered) would be another level.

It's not even like Arsenal need this type of player either. An out and out number 9 would be there priority for the summer.
I’m obviously making a joke about the fact they have form.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
Weird we had a grand total of 0 (zero) messages discussing his performance last matchday.
I think it’s disingenuous to say this, it's fairly reasonable that those who are interested in discussing his performance will be more inclined to do so when he performs well. He doesn’t play for us, so like practically every other thread following players on loan, people would be way more likely to discuss him when he does something noteworthy. Just like I personally check on this thread only when he scores to see the general thoughts about his performance.

Also, the fact that any performance discussion inevitably turns to name calling and accusations of defending what he did would turn off many from even bothering at all.

Edit: Good run and a nice assist for Getafe’s third.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I think it’s disingenuous to say this, it's fairly reasonable that those who are interested in discussing his performance will be more inclined to do so when he performs well. He doesn’t play for us, so like practically every other thread following players on loan, people would be way more likely to discuss him when he does something noteworthy. Just like I personally check on this thread only when he scores to see the general thoughts about his performance.

Also, the fact that any performance discussion inevitably turns to name calling and accusations of defending what he did would turn off many from even bothering at all.
From what I've seen, he's had a decent game. The goals will be the story of course, especially if he bags a hat trick.

Fallon d'Floor

If he had never played for United before, nobody would even be talking about him. He's had a pretty average season in Spain. 8 goals and 5 assists in all competitions.

1 goal vs Celta Vigo (currently 17th)
1 goals vs Almeria (currently 18th)
1 goal vs Sevilla (currently 14th)
1 goal vs Granada (currently 19th)
1 goal vs Real Betis (currently 6th)
1 goal vs Las Palmas (currently 9th)
2 goals vs Tardienta (Spanish 4th tier club)

He's a good individual dribbler/ball carrier. But he play like it's him vs 11 at times. Too individualistic. He has a habit of shooting from everywhere. Must have listened to Ole.

He's weak defensively. He loses most of his duels. He has a 40% success rate in La Liga. If he's struggling with the physicality of La Liga full-backs, he will find The PL even harder if he ever returns. This was one of Sancho's biggest problems compared to The Bundesliga. He's now winning 57% of his duels at Dortmund compared to 36% at United this season.
I posted this nearly 2 months ago and I still feel the same way.

He went a few weeks without scoring until today's brace vs 20th place Almería. He also assisted a goal.

He is weak physically. He only won 1/11 duels today. He failed to complete both dribbles he attempted. Plus, he was dribbled past 3 times and committed 3 fouls.

He'll always score a few goal due to his elite ball striking, but I don't think he'll ever become the player he could have a few years ago.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

He went a few weeks without scoring until today's brace vs 20th place Almería. He also assisted a goal.

He is weak physically. He only won 1/11 duels today. He failed to complete both dribbles he attempted. Plus, he was dribbled past 3 times and committed 3 fouls.

He'll always score a few goal due to his elite ball striking, but I don't think he'll ever become the player he could have a few years ago.
Pretty much. He lost, what, 18 months(?) of key development by doing what he did.

Luckily his stats on paper are decent enough — 8 goals and 6 assists in 25 starts — should make It easier to shift him as quickly as possible.

Overhaul FC

Put Greenwood in this team over Antony, and Diallo on the right wing and he outplays and outscores them instantly.

Football wise we need Greenwood for the RW and to be a backup striker which is the position we all thought he would play in the peak years of his career.

Football wise we haven't seen a better academy prospect since the class of 92 and only Mainoo and Garnacho have been close to having the impact Greenwood had.

What's happened off the pitch is another discussion but anyone downplaying how good he was, and how he was becoming a very important player in our first team is just disingenuous or being revisionist.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Yeah I don't think we know how he will develop going forwards because we don't know where he will play, for which manager, and who his surrounding cast will be.

klsv

What are those people called who dig up Sancho and Greenwood threads after every time we lose points?

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Dont want him back in the team after whats happened, hes not that special a footballer either, not that should matter when deciding this. The goals he scored today only increase his fee and appeal to a potential suitor.

Asger

Quality control
No we don't. He's shown he's a spoilt entitled little shit and he would be a detriment to our squad.
We have forgave shit attitute from other players in the past. Even some of them are legends! Now we live though in shit world so I'm not suprised no one is allowed to getting a 2nd chance.

Fridge chutney

We have forgave shit attitute from other players in the past. Even some of them are legends! Now we live though in shit world so I'm not suprised no one is allowed to getting a 2nd chance.
You know your argument is terrible when you have to resort to hyperbole, like you have done. Greenwood has a second chance earning millions of dollars in Spain. Woe is him.

Asger

You know your argument is terrible when you have to resort to hyperbole, like you have done. Greenwood has a second chance earning millions of dollars in Spain. Woe is him.
Then next season hopefully we will have 11 Rashfords players!

After all they are just players and best teams use their best players. We don't.

cafecillos

A year of no second chance Greenwood style would set me up for life. What a tragedy he's going through thanks to the woke mob.