Mason Greenwood | Please be respectful and stay on topic

Thiagoal

Insulting another member
Oh everyone is entitled to an opinion. I never said otherwise. They have their areas of knowledge. I must check in and see what 15-year-old female celeb is next to reach legal age.
It makes me laugh how some of you lot living on top of moral mountain are actually the most closed minded people on here.

Last edited:

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
I'm not even going to bother with this as you've either not read any of the rest of the thread or you've decided to ignore it. Either way your oversimplified and uninformed post isn't worth engaging with.

Like how you're ignoring the fact that they are together, with a child and seem pretty happy?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It makes me laugh how some of you lot living on top of moral mountain are actually the most closed minded idiots on here. My work is done
What opinions are good reference points for posters here to be enlightened from? Could you quote some?

Thiagoal

You seem to be confusing the right to an opinion with holding a reasonable opinion. The comments sections of the Sun and the Mail are not the place to find reasonable, well thought through opinions. Those people are free to hold those opinions of course but we shouldn't be making decisions using them as reasonable points of reference.
Who gets to define a ‘reasonable opinion’. You’re prejudicing that with your own egocentric views. What makes you the moral bastion of the earth?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'd still like us to bring him back. He's the second best RW option we got (after Alejandro) and the best RW option when Ale plays on the left.
He'd be for free too (wages obviously but no transfer fee).
We need to get rid of Antony and Sancho, both had their chances and are just terrible options, plus I don't get why there was/ is so much fuss about Greenwood when there was next to no fuss about Antony who allegedly raped a person in Brazil.
Why did we bring Antony (a terrible player) back so quickly, but Greenwood (a good player) is a persona non grata for an alleged similar kind of crime?
Don't get it.
Have you taken the time to actually think about why? Or looked into it yourself?

Duafc

Village Lemon
A predictably pathetic response so far.

The next 6 months of this will be class.

Red_Aaron

Ratcliffes answer was suitably vague and designed to cover all eventualities which at this early stage of his tenure is completely understandable. I doubt there was any real desire to discuss him at all but given the incendiary nature of the subject it was best to at least put out something so as to stop the constant stream of questions about it

As far as the actual situation goes nothings changed since the day the charges were dropped really. Either Mason and/or the young lady commit to a PR push to help appease the fans/wider public or he leaves. I get the feeling they aren't prepared to do this (as is their right) so he'll be sold in the summer.

It's the boards job now to get the best deal they can for the sake of the clubs future plans

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The person I was just chatting to looking down on a whole demographic that read certain newspapers for a start
Not the demographic, you couldn't be more wrong. Just have no time for that arena of discussion because it's editorially led, and the owners and editors of those newspapers are scum who frequently convince that demographic to vote against their own interests.

sepulturite

You seem to be confusing the right to an opinion with holding a reasonable opinion. The comments sections of the Sun and the Mail are not the place to find reasonable, well thought through opinions. Those people are free to hold those opinions of course but we shouldn't be making decisions using them as reasonable points of reference.
Sounds like those comments sections is where that poster belongs actually

RedNome

Cnut Rating: 9 (Conservative)
So great to see this car crash of a thread reignited again.

Personally loving all the fresh takes.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
United's initial investigation concluded the club had a 'duty of care' to Greenwood, which doesn't feel a million miles from what's been said by SJR here, and still concluded he'd play his football elsewhere. Words have clearly been selected very carefully - not that I'm saying this is 100% an exercise in driving up his value or anything. Who knows.

The fact it's been interpreted in every possible way on here probably points to the idea we can't really draw conclusions about his motivation. I really hope it doesn't mean the door has been reopened for a return.

Fun skim through this morning. "Cancel culture brigade" :lol:. Could this be a situation of Greenwood's making entirely? No, it's the fans, who are completely entitled to their standpoint, who are wrong.
It's like that Simpsons gif; Skinner "Could it be I am so out of touch...No, it's the children who are wrong!"

Woziak

Sir Jim’s main task is to rebuild the club and heal the huge rifts within the fanbase therefore the club doesn’t need any distractions, I hope Greenwood plays well at Getafe but only because he’s an asset that has to be sold in the summer for the highest price, there will be many more challenges for Sir Jim going forward, one player, however good he may or may not be is simply not worth dividing the fan base any further, we’ve had over a decade of hurt and pain and it’s time for the fanbase to be united, with the current intensity of Elite Football Greenwood may even decline dramatically in 5 or 6 years like Rashford has, the question should be do we continue to have a divides within our fanbase over one player who still hasn’t got 20 goals and 10 assists in a season as good as he might develop to be or do we simply sell him for as much as we can get and while we are at it sell Antony, Sancho and Pellistri for a combined sum of £120m for all 4 players in the summer and then go buy any 2 from the following ;

Pedro Neto, Michael Olise, Ansi Fati,
K Mitoma, Nico Williams, Marius Sole, Johan Bakayoko, Federico Chiesa, Leroy Sane, Serge Gnabry, Rodrygo

My point had the team scored more than the pathetic 35 League goals in 23 games then the clamour for MG return would be less intense within a certain faction of the fanbase.

A Team like United should have 5 or 6 players of elite standards yes 2 or 3 will still be better than the rest but not by a significant margin.

As bad as Rashford has been this season, he’ll still finish with 15 Goals and assists in the PL and that’s the reason he’ll stay, our problem is that neither him nor Garnaucho and certainly not Antony should be starting a PL game after they stunk the place out the week before so signing any 2 from that list, especially 2 young hungry options without baggage makes United much better and starts to heal the fanbase without reintegrating a political hot potato like MG

The club selling him for £40-50m helps our FFP situation immeasurably. If the summer rolls on and United sell the 4 mentioned and then buy Michael Olise(50m), Nico Williams(35m) and add another back up striker like Santiago Gimenez or Benjamin sesco(40m) and it’s only cost the club £5m but probably less than that on the books because the wages for these three players will be no more than 400k per week and the club would have let Martial go to add to the 4 players mentioned so wages saved will be 350k per week less.

This hopefully will be how the club operates this summer and the new players will need time and support just like we gave to Rasmus however If our squad options in attack are ; R Hojlund, B Sesco, M Olise, N Williams, M Rashford, A Garnaucho and Amad.

Three will always play, one might not work, one will always be injured and more importantly 2 or 3 will be on a 9 Man bench looking to come on and change a game.

Currently the squad is so bare, Manchester United rely on Scott McTominay to make an attacking change, that in all honestly is the clubs biggest problem alongside injuries with players getting older and not having suitable replacements.

van Nistelrooy

It might or it might not. People do learn and evolve. Is he still a complete and utter scum bag as his behaviour from a couple of years back suggested? The club has to make that call.
It's not about how he's changed. It's all about that very incident. We live in a modern, digital age where you can't erase the evidence that's out there. Even England's 'golden boy' is taunting him on the pitch about it.

SJR: "We need to look at facts, judge fairly and take into consideration what the values of the club are."

The facts are damning and the values of United who rely so heavily on reputation, will not allow it to be jeopardized any further.

Doracle

United's initial investigation concluded the club had a 'duty of care' to Greenwood, which doesn't feel a million miles from what's been said by SJR here, and still concluded he'd play his football elsewhere. Words have clearly been selected very carefully - not that I'm saying this is 100% an exercise in driving up his value or anything. Who knows.

The fact it's been interpreted in every possible way on here probably points to the idea we can't really draw conclusions about his motivation. I really hope it doesn't mean the door has been reopened for a return.

Fun skim through this morning. "Cancel culture brigade" :lol:. Could this be a situation of Greenwood's making entirely? No, it's the fans, who are completely entitled to their standpoint, who are wrong.
To be fair, the club’s initial investigation concluded that it was satisfied Greenwood had not committed the acts he was charged with, and it seems that their view was that it was appropriate for him to return to playing for the club.

The only thing which led them to conclude it was preferable for him to play elsewhere seems to have been the media coverage/risk of further adverse publicity. If they feel that the fact he has been playing in Spain for a season with no real media concerns reduces those concerns, it’s plausible that they might adopt a different approach this summer.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
At the onset of his return I was in the favor of him giving a chance again but jeez if the fan base is going to devolve to children bickering about the same old arguments going in circles it's probably not worth it.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So far him marrying his gf does give an impression that he has been forgiven and everyone has moved on. However it also kinda gives me an uneasy feeling. If in court everyone said Mason isnt guilty, including his own victim and her families because they had moved on, then of course there is only one outcome regardless of other evidences. What if the victim said the evidence is not should be taken at face value but theres another context of why he did it. Dunno man, just let him go really. Will cause so much headache and he will be booed every match, wont be pretty

sepulturite

Banned for having a different opinion to you? Live in an echo chamber if you like
Read my other post about a different opinion on this subject, how any decent human being could have a different opinion on this subject is beyond me. Who listens to that audio and sees those pictures and says to themselves "naaah we're not getting the full picture here" unbelievable.

Pickle85

Like how you're ignoring the fact that they are together, with a child and seem pretty happy?
It's pretty irrelevant that they're back together and doesn't change what he (in my opinion) did. The fact that people suffering domestic violence frequently return to their abusers has been mentioned here ad nauseam - have you somehow managed to miss that? Also, when you say 'seem pretty happy', on what are you basing that? On the fact that he's not yet been caught on audio assaulting her again?
Who gets to define a ‘reasonable opinion’. You’re prejudicing that with your own egocentric views. What makes you the moral bastion of the earth?
If you read the DM comments section and argue in good faith that it's full of reasonable, well thought out opinion then I have grave doubts about your own capacity for reasonable discussion.
The person I was just chatting to looking down on a whole demographic that read certain newspapers for a start
No, I wasn't. I was saying that the comments sections on most dailies' websites are absolute cesspools.
Sounds like those comments sections is where that poster belongs actually
They would be right at home there.

sepulturite

It's pretty irrelevant that they're back together and doesn't change what he (in my opinion) did. The fact that people suffering domestic violence frequently return to their abusers has been mentioned here ad nauseam - have you somehow managed to miss that? Also, when you say 'seem pretty happy', on what are you basing that? On the fact that he's not yet been caught on audio assaulting her again?

If you read the DM comments section and argue in good faith that it's full of reasonable, well thought out opinion then I have grave doubts about your own capacity for reasonable discussion.

No, I wasn't. I was saying that the comments sections on most dailies' websites are absolute cesspools.

They would be right at home there.
Yep they would no doubt

Overhaul FC

By the sounds of what Ratcliffe said in all of his interviews yesterday, FFP is going to be a big factor in what happens to Greenwood.

It's complicated but they also need to see if it works out better or worse financially to sell him or keep him.

They could sell him for say 40 million at best but still have to sign someone else for probably more money and on higher wages.

Whereas if he came back it's effectively a free signing for right wing and backup striker. His wages aren't much so selling Antony and Sancho is a bigger gain financially.

Even if we got 25 million each for Antony and Sancho it might prove better as we know for sure they're not good enough on the pitch and also have unjustified high salaries at 200k and 350k per week.

I don't mind seeing the below first and 2nd choice lineups:

1st - Garnacho Hojlund Greenwood

2nd - Rashford new ST Antony/Amad

van Nistelrooy

If in court everyone said Mason isnt guilty
This never happened.

The evidence was made public. There's no getting away from it. It's irrelevant whether he has been 'forgiven' by his partner. He will forever promote this vile behaviour.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's not about how he's changed. It's all about that very incident. We live in a modern, digital age where you can't erase the evidence that's out there. Even England's 'golden boy' is taunting him on the pitch about it.

SJR: "We need to look at facts, judge fairly and take into consideration what the values of the club are."

The facts are damning and the values of United who rely so heavily on reputation, will not allow it to be jeopardized any further.
It’s probably about both. The club has repeatedly said that Greenwood has made mistakes / done wrong but also that there is a decision to make. In addition to what you share SJR also says that “come to fair decision on the basis of values which is basically is he a good guy or not”. So in addition to pondering A) did Greenwood do a disgusting thing (which he most likely did) B) will the fans want him representing the club (probably not but possibly needs revisiting) they may consider C) whether he has reformed himself sufficiently for a career at United being a possibility.

At the end of the day, what Greenwood appears to have done was horrific. At the same time, given his age at the time, him learning much needed lessons in humanity would obviously be the best outcome from this on a personal level so nobody has to suffer from those actions at his hands again. If he has done that, and I’m nobody to judge then I personally don’t see an issue with him playing for us again. But that’s a huge IF - I dont know if you can really go from disgusting scum bag to decent person. I’m sure it’s happened given people learn but it’s a big call and surely must be the exception to the rule.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
Why did we bring Antony (a terrible player) back so quickly, but Greenwood (a good player) is a persona non grata for an alleged similar kind of crime?
Because their quality as a footballer isn't, and shouldn't be, the deciding factor on whether it's right for them to continue to play for the club in the wake of allegations of attempted rape and domestic violence. One person doesn't deserve more lenience than the other because they're a good footballer.

I'm not totally clued up on the Antony situation, so forgive me if this isn't correct, but my understanding is that charges have not (or possibly not yet) been brought against him but if they are, he'll probably also be suspended pending the outcome - and that's why he's still available in the squad.

The evidence in the public domain is probably also a factor.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
By the sounds of what Ratcliffe said in all of his interviews yesterday, FFP is going to be a big factor in what happens to Greenwood.

It's complicated but they also need to see if it works out better or worse financially to sell him or keep him.

They could sell him for say 40 million at best but still have to sign someone else for probably more money and on higher wages.

Whereas if he came back it's effectively a free signing for right wing and backup striker. His wages aren't much so selling Antony and Sancho is a bigger gain financially.

Even if we got 25 million each for Antony and Sancho it might prove better as we know for sure they're not good enough on the pitch and also have unjustified high salaries at 200k and 350k per week.

Can't see Rashford staying if he's relegated to a bench role.

redcucumber

This never happened.

The evidence was made public. There's no getting away from it. It's irrelevant whether he has been 'forgiven' by his partner. He will forever promote this vile behaviour.
I was against ferrying him off overseas because it meant he wouldn't have to go through any kind of process of accountability. Challenging his behaviours, emotional responses etc would have been something United and a team of psychological practitioners could have worked with him on. Only after he'd displayed development in his emotional intelligence should he have been allowed to play football again, whether at United or elsewhere. It's why I find the shouty arguments to flog him to whoever will take him a bit odd. Shouldn't the primary concern have been and still be for the victim? Minimising the risk that Greenwood assaults her/others again? I dunno.

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
This never happened.

I know. We live in an era where digital records will be there for ages. But I think there would have been a much worse outcome for him if the victims actually kept pressing rather than made peace with it, he probably wouldnt even be playing football right now.

Slops

has Adobe Premiere and too much time on his hands
To be fair, the club’s initial investigation concluded that it was satisfied Greenwood had not committed the acts he was charged with, and it seems that their view was that it was appropriate for him to return to playing for the club.

The only thing which led them to conclude it was preferable for him to play elsewhere seems to have been the media coverage/risk of further adverse publicity. If they feel that the fact he has been playing in Spain for a season with no real media concerns reduces those concerns, it’s plausible that they might adopt a different approach this summer.
Well, we can only speculate on whether their view was that it was appropriate for him to return to playing for the club, or that the only thing that led them to conclude that he should play elsewhere is media coverage. We don't know that one way or the other. It's possible. Their handling of it at that point was fairly woeful. What we do know is the decision was made for him to play elsewhere. I hope this time isn't any different.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Read @Woziak post above for how it could work

united for life

Yes, it's our lack of mental fortitude that'll stop us bringing him back. Because he deserves protecting from the consequences of his actions JUST like Beckham did. What a smart and totally sensible comparison.
your smart take is different than mine. It’s fine.

For me, he has been cleared, back with his partner and back on the pitch. The club’s statement mentioned that evidence they reviewed showed the whole context. He did make a mistake, but what is the extent of that mistake we don’t know, but seems smaller than what the public recordings show.

he might end up playing for atletico madrid or barcelona, from rumors, why not us?