Mason Greenwood (Please post respectfully)

Do you want Mason Greenwood to return next year ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

It's easy to make that judgement based on the audio, but beyond that, we know nothing else.

The police/CPS investigated this extensively, beyond what you often see in sexual assault cases due to the publicity surrounding it and in the end were unable to proceed. Bar a brief statement, we do not know why.
We do know why. They are back together so she's no longer giving evidence against him. It's very difficult to secure a conviction if the victim is playing happy families with the alleged abuser.

Giggsy13

Voted yes.

On the caveat that it's given the green light by the majority at the club to give him a second chance. If it's seemingly deemed acceptable by the public, media, sponsors, etc for other top teams in the league to carry on picking players in very similar situations, really don't think we should give in to tabloid and social media double standards provided, as I say, the club as a whole are prepared to accept him back.

Very tricky situation, though, I accept. Especially as there'll be a lot more scrutiny and pressure put on us to jettison a top talent compared to what other PL teams have faced in similar circumstances.
Sensible and the right approach.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Anyone thinking he's going to do an interview, admit it and do a mea culpa will be waiting a long time. Charges have been dropped due to lack of evidence. There isn't a hope he's going to admit anything publically, on camera.
Not referring to that. As plenty of posters have mentioned, there are other unknowns in play like how sponsors / teammates / the women's team would react, as well as level of interest from other clubs.

If the question is "do you want him back?", then how those complexities play out will obviously influence my answer.

Rolaholic

Expecting a kid, getting married and Tik Tokking together as a couple.
His partners own Father has also supported him during for some reason too, it's a bit more complex a situation than some people want to admit

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
I voted yes.
Ive been consistent that If he not convicted he should be reinstated as thats what I would expect to happen to anyone else.
The police and CPS took an age to find anyway to get evidence against him so the fact that it didnt even merit going to trial showed that they didnt have anything despite the media hysteria.
Some of the over the top reactions on here calling people who voted yes sickos etc is beyond belief.
Its ironic that the people who act claim the most morals seem to be the most hate filled.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Imo, it's fairly simple. Greenwood, was it you on that audio threatening to beat a woman if she doesn't open her legs? If yes, sack him. If not, let him stay.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This poll needs to be redone:

1. If he comes out with a genuine interview in which he's humble, remorseful and actively seeking therapy.
2. Yes.
3. No.

Or something like that. It cannot be a straightforward yes or no without any added context.
I agree, yes/no is too black and white

wangyu

If you would have done something bad you's probably want a second chance as well and prove you made a big mistake.
Problem is the charges were dropped so he might think he didn't set a foot wrong.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What’s all this with a potential interview? It’s not a TV show. If he comes back it will be low profile, just a brief statement from the club, no interviews for a long time, etc.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Domestic abuse is not a mistake and these people rarely change. It just gets worse. I'd be highly surprised if there aren't further issues in the future.
Maybe the whole situation will be a lesson for him and he will change for the better, at least I hope he does.
I am no expert in this matter and I don't know how these people act, react or develop, I'm just thinking it from the footballing point of view from which we really need his talent.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Like it or not, Mason has not been found guilty of any offences and is free to live his life as he wishes. It is not up to society to decide innocen

The sad reality is that lots of footballers we’ve idolised over the years and I’m sure many in the future have been scummy individuals. Some of Ronaldo’s and Giggs’ alleged behaviour is just as bad or potentially worse.

I think he should be brought back into the fold and hope that this episode has taught him lessons to make him a better man
I think a complicating factor for Untied would be how to "bring him back into the fold". It would probably require an extraordinary campaign involving something resembling a public apology (probably with his partner alongside him), followed by a very gradual and protracted program of training with reserves so that the entire narrative of him returning gradually dissolves, at which point he would probably get a few minutes off the bench in a home game. Much would of course also depend on the reaction of the match going fan base over time.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If we don’t give our youngsters a second chance then what’s next? For me as a father and grandfather he’s welcomed back because I don’t like this cancel culture.
It's not a question of 'cancel culture', there are mitigating circumstances, and frankly we still don't know enough.

In any case, he would have to work extremely hard on his behaviour if the club decided to keep him.

Pass and Move

Inappropriate Content
I definitely don’t want him at the club. But just imagine reading RAWK if he stays and gets a winner at Anfield and then pretends to choke Anthony in celebration. Would almost be worth it just for that.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I’m not conflicted enough to doubt where I stand on this.
He is a footballer and should continue working. My only issue is whether he is talented enough to be our player. If he is good enough we keep him, if not get rid because he is already displayed behavioural flaws not worthy of the hassle.

Balljy

I'm a bit shocked how close the vote is, I definitely wouldn't be comfortable at all with him wearing a United shirt again.

I don't think it will matter anyway, even if the club decide to give it a go I think there will be problems raised from the squad, coaching staff and woman's team, never mind the sponsors.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I definitely don’t want him at the club. But just imagine reading RAWK if he stays and gets a winner at Anfield and then pretends to choke Anthony in celebration. Would almost be worth it just for that.
Depends how close "almost" is to "never want that to happen my god is that the worst most stupid scenario of all time".

Phil Jones Face

It doesn’t work like that in UK.

Charges were dropped by the Police themselves because of new evidence. This is officially what was stated, legally.
I get that. There is a high bar in criminal cases for rape, hence the low conviction rate. I can see why she withdrew support: she was under pressure from her own family who were defending Mason (imo, for cynical reasons).

The audio and images were enough for me to decide.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Taking the morals aside for a second, his development would have been stunted, he probably will not reach the heights we expected before all of this.

Now, taking everything into consideration, I don't see the point, I don't want him near the club and even if the club decided it, what would be the outcome? A shit ton of controversy, maybe sponsors getting anxious for a player who won't be as good anymore.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I voted no

We haven’t heard any remorse of any kind by him as yet. Second chances should come with the understanding of what you’ve done wrong.

I feel it’s not the last time we will hear something about this couple

even if he hadn’t been convicted I don’t see how he can continue to play in British football? He’d get grief at every ground.

if they want to kick the can down the road get him a loan abroad. After all he hasnt kicked a ball in nearly 2 years so he’s not going to waltz back in and score 20 goals like

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The thing is, and I’m not saying this in a sarcy way - you obviously believe he is guilty, but many who’ve voted ‘yes’ may not believe that. It’s important to remember that.

Charges for assault can’t be dropped by the complainant - only by the police or crown prosecution.

We’ve been told that new evidence is what has caused ALL CHARGES to be dropped.

I remember when Pete Doherty from The Libertines got done for breaking into Carl Barat’s flat and Barat was begging the police, publicly, to drop the charges, but they wouldn’t do so, despite the fact it was his flat, and Doherty was found guilty and went to prison.

If new evidence has caused the police to drop charges we should respect that over things we have no real knowledge of or information on.
The police dropping charges isn't a excuse for us to turn off our brains, it doesn't mean nothing happened.
New evidence didn't cause the police to drop the charges. We've all heard the audios (or have we ?), what more do people need ?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
It doesn’t work like that in UK.

Charges were dropped by the Police themselves because of new evidence. This is officially what was stated, legally.
It's this statement you are referring to yeah?
We have a duty to keep cases under continuous review. In this case a combination of the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. In these circumstances, we are under a duty to stop the case.
I'm not taking issue, I just want to check there isn't a different one I'm unaware of.

mu4c_20le

I voted no

We haven’t heard any remorse of any kind by him as yet. Second chances should come with the understanding of what you’ve done wrong.
I'm 99% sure he is being advised by his legal team as well as the club's, and they are telling him to keep a low profile while they're still investigating.

Camilo

I voted yes because it's a forum and I love to go on the wind up. I also don't really care, it's gossip column.

Mmm-Qatarian

I'd be very interested (and almost certainly entirely unsurprised) to see how these results break down by gender.

United have (quite rightly) been making a big deal about the impressive performances of its womens' team since its inception; to my mind, welcoming back Mason Greenwood would absolutely fly in the face of that.

JagUTD

We do know why. They are back together so she's no longer giving evidence against him. It's very difficult to secure a conviction if the victim is playing happy families with the alleged abuser.
We don't know though. We know key witnesses refused to cooperate and we can assume one of them was her but we don't know of there were others nor do we know what new material came to light.

We have a short audio clip. The new material could have been additional audio, video or something else altogether. We just don't know.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
This poll needs to be redone:

1. If he comes out with a genuine interview in which he's humble, remorseful and actively seeking therapy.
2. Yes.
3. No.

Or something like that. It cannot be a straightforward yes or no without any added context.
I agree. Think we need some more context here.

twitter thread suggester
Depends how close "almost" is to "never want that to happen my god is that the worst most stupid scenario of all time".
:lol: the human species is fecked up. These people actually exist.

flameinthesun

But then you’re just sitting on the fence. Stand by your own convictions
That makes no sense. Yes I want him back no matter what and yes I want him back if the club have done a thorough investigation and deemed it right that he comes back are 2 different stances. I should not have to tell you that and I'm sure you know it.

AFC NimbleThumb

I get that. There is a high bar in criminal cases for rape, hence the low conviction rate. I can see why she withdrew support: she was under pressure from her own family who were defending Mason (imo, for cynical reasons).

The audio and images were enough for me to decide.
She wasn’t ‘under pressure’ to drop charges, she didn’t bring them to light in the first place. The whole thing stinks of a good-willed confidant leaking the audio & images on behalf of her but from day one, rightly or wrongly, she has been with him.

The police brought charges on behalf of a victim, the little evidence we have is that she didn’t want to cooperate. The victim has been through enough without people claiming things like she was put under pressure to drop charges she didn’t actually make.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Wonder what percentage of the yes' here are pro Qatar and what percentage of no's are anti Qatar. Have a feeling it's similar in that one group cares about their morals over United success, and the other is 100% success and don't care about off field stuff. Everyone's entitled to their views.
I think it’s not related at all

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

It's easy to make that judgement based on the audio, but beyond that, we know nothing else.

The police/CPS investigated this extensively, beyond what you often see in sexual assault cases due to the publicity surrounding it and in the end were unable to proceed. Bar a brief statement, we do not know why.
This.

Not only was it investigated extensively, when the case was dropped the police statement said "new material that came to light meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction". We do not yet know what this "new material" is so let's wait and see if more information is made public before we sharpen our pitchforks and belittle any poster who voted 'Yes' on the poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.