2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Djemba-Djemba

So he'll be back for Brighton probably play about 15 minutes when we're 4-1 down and then he'll be injured for the Cup Final?

Bwuk

Make or break next season for him.

If he doesn't have a strong season next year we'll move him on, and it'll be a drop down the table for him.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I refuse to believe he will play again this season. Something is seriously wrong with his injury record, it's a shame because I rate him.

Atheist

Truly a horrendous signing the likes of which managers deserve to get the sack for.

RuudtheRed

At this point I'm beginning to fear Mason Mount is the new Owen Hargreaves in terms of availability, except even Hargreaves had a great first season for United.

How did Mount even pass the medical? If it was not a long-term underlying medical issue, then he must be the 2nd most unfortunate footballer alive (the 1st being Malacia) for getting recurrent injuries and knocks. In his performances thus far this season I can only remember 1 pressure of note that led to a goal. Apart from that, it has been 60 million down the drain for a player that doesn't improve us significantly and would have been available on a free at the end of this season.

surf

Invisible again today. Anyone know what's going on with him? It's a shame because he could have been a useful player this season.

izec

Invisible again today. Anyone know what's going on with him? It's a shame because he could have been a useful player this season.
He is not a great player. Plus we are dysfunctional. To get any sort of performance out of him, he needs movement. A bit like past transfers we have done that were very mixed, Shinji and Mata for example. And Mata was still decent for us.

If you throw him in and expect him to do something on his own, you will be disappointed. He doesnt take the game by the scruff of the neck and stamps his authority on it. He can be good if the team plays well, but he isnt that guy though, too invisible. That is why it was fine for me on a low fee or on a free, but not for 60m.

Abraxas

Awful signing.

Even if he improves it's still a terrible waste of 60 million quid because at his best he's not someone that's hugely impressive. Decent, yes.

And he might never actually improve, it's happened to this type of neat and tidy attacking midfielder before at the club. Unless you're exceptional you can just fade away into the background as the team isn't functional and unless you have real personality to stamp your mark on a game you just disappear.

Telsim

An average at best player who also can't stay fit. For a position the club has a superior player that rarely gets injured. An impressively pointless signing that rivals that of Donny van de Beek. Worse, an online forum could see it a mile away, but the people who get paid the big bucks couldn't.

marktan

As I said at the start of the season, £30m? Decent squad option. £55m? Crazy. Unfortunately fits the theme with almost all of Ten Haags signings. May this sorry saga end with SJR.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I feel like this thread supports the idea that people love to moan. 120 pages for a guy who has been injured for so much the season is crazy.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I couldn’t think of a worse first season and I really rate him. Who was worse? Donny, Sánchez, the French lad from Southampton? That’s about it? Everyone else at least played. I expect way way more from him next season or else he should be sold by this time next year

Sylar

At this point I'm beginning to fear Mason Mount is the new Owen Hargreaves in terms of availability, except even Hargreaves had a great first season for United.

How did Mount even pass the medical? If it was not a long-term underlying medical issue, then he must be the 2nd most unfortunate footballer alive (the 1st being Malacia) for getting recurrent injuries and knocks. In his performances thus far this season I can only remember 1 pressure of note that led to a goal. Apart from that, it has been 60 million down the drain for a player that doesn't improve us significantly and would have been available on a free at the end of this season.
It could be something he picked up here and there needs to be an investigation into why this happens at United.
Awful signing.

Even if he improves it's still a terrible waste of 60 million quid because at his best he's not someone that's hugely impressive. Decent, yes.

And he might never actually improve, it's happened to this type of neat and tidy attacking midfielder before at the club. Unless you're exceptional you can just fade away into the background as the team isn't functional and unless you have real personality to stamp your mark on a game you just disappear.
The signing only makes sense if he's the difference between 2/3 and winning the title (sorta like rvp)

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I feel like this thread supports the idea that people love to moan. 120 pages for a guy who has been injured for so much the season is crazy.
When you blow a big chunk of the summer budget on a player who is hardly available, whose role in the team is unclear, and who would have been significantly cheaper one year later, of course people aren't going to be very happy.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Make or break next season for him.

If he doesn't have a strong season next year we'll move him on, and it'll be a drop down the table for him.
Got West Ham player written all over him for 2026.

Winrar

Crazy fee to pay for someone in the last year of his contract (who wanted to leave anyways), who adds so little to the team even without accounting for injuries.

This has got to have been one of the most predictable transfer flops. Everyone who were involved in giving the green light for this transfer should be sacked.

sebsheep

When you blow a big chunk of the summer budget on a player who is hardly available, whose role in the team is unclear, and who would have been significantly cheaper one year later, of course people aren't going to be very happy.
How do you know we could've got him cheaper next season?
Role in the team maybe a point worth discussing, but that isn't really what gets discussed in here.
Hardly available, just unlucky with injuries this season as has been the case with a few players.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
How do you know we could've got him cheaper next season?
Role in the team maybe a point worth discussing, but that isn't really what gets discussed in here.
Hardly available, just unlucky with injuries this season as has been the case with a few players.
He would have been out of contract, thus no transfer fee (which went a long way towards funding Chelsea's FFP allowance, nice going!).

sebsheep

He would have been out of contract, thus no transfer fee (which went a long way towards funding Chelsea's FFP allowance, nice going!).
That doesn't mean we would have got him, or that he wouldn't have signed a new contract or moved elsewhere last summer.

Gordon S

Great. Then we shrug and move on to other targets, as all football clubs do.
Exactly. We acted like Mount was this standout player that every club was drooling over. We could not possibly even risk another club getting their hands on him.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Any word on what is wrong with him now? Is it the same injury?

Hopefully can have a nice long break to actually heal up. Utterly absurd how little he has played this season.

Gordon S

Keep forgetting we bought this guy.
My head spins every time i try to make sense of the transfer.
Is his injury record clean enough to spend big on him? Absolutely not
Does he bring something valuable to the starting 11 that makes him worth a lot of money? Absolutely not
Is he a clear upgrade in a position we need upgrading? Absolutely not
Do we even know his best position? Absolutely not
Is it wise to spend big on him since he will most probably leave for free next summer? Absolutely not

Conclusion: Bring him in at all costs! Give him a juicy contract and give him the iconic nr7 shirt.
I probably need to forget this to stay somewhat sane.

Irwin99

As others have said, I genuinely keep forgetting we have this guy for next season and was only reminded of his existence in another thread.

I hope he can kick on next season and find some form. Where exactly he fits in the team if Bruno is staying, I don't know.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
As others have said, I genuinely keep forgetting we have this guy for next season and was only reminded of his existence in another thread.

I hope he can kick on next season and find some form. Where exactly he fits in the team if Bruno is staying, I don't know.
With Mainoo emerging he probably has even less chance of getting near a start.

If the original plan was a beast mode Casemiro with Mount and Bruno ahead, Mainoo isn't really that Casemiro role, so will be where Mount was meant to be playing.

So maybe 20-30mins every couple of weeks and the occasional cup start might be it.

Irwin99

With Mainoo emerging he probably has even less chance of getting near a start.

If the original plan was a beast mode Casemiro with Mount and Bruno ahead, Mainoo isn't really that Casemiro role, so will be where Mount was meant to be playing.

So maybe 20-30mins every couple of weeks and the occasional cup start might be it.
Yeah, I think it's safe to say the plan with the two advanced 8's is probably dead at this point (and that's probably a good thing!). Unless Bruno leaves though I genuinely have no idea where he plays as Bruno is never rested and is rarely injured or dropped. As things are at the moment, you put Garnacho on the right, Rashford on the left, so the wing spots are not available to him and there are probably more natural options for those positions anyway.

I know he gets a lot of stick but I don't think Mount is a squad player, with his profile or the wages. I never thought he was a great player but he's a starter for a lot of teams, maybe not the best ones but too good for the likes of Everton, West Ham or that level. Where do you fit him in though?

What an odd signing. And with the number 7 shirt too!

Vidooq

I would really like for Ten Hag to come out and explain where was he seeing Mount in this team, and what the idea was with bringing him. Because, I don't believe in "If a player like Mount is available, you go for him" justification. We are not in Arsenal/City stage, where they can afford buying a player they don't really need. Especially since he is on a reportedly $250k per week.

Bwuk

I would really like for Ten Hag to come out and explain where was he seeing Mount in this team, and what the idea was with bringing him. Because, I don't believe in "If a player like Mount is available, you go for him" justification. We are not in Arsenal/City stage, where they can afford buying a player they don't really need. Especially since he is on a reportedly $250k per week.
It was to play Mount/Bruno/Casemiro as the starting 3 with Mainoo/Eriksen/McTominay as the back up. Not saying that's the right thing to do but it's clearly what we were going too.

Vidooq

It was to play Mount/Bruno/Casemiro as the starting 3 with Mainoo/Eriksen/McTominay as the back up. Not saying that's the right thing to do but it's clearly what we were going too.
That MIGHT'VE worked if you had Prime Makelele or Kante. Not declining Casemiro. Or his idea was to have the defense much further up the pitch, tightening up that space between attack and defense, so the fact that none of Bruno and Mount are defensively good, be covered.

spiriticon

Awful signing.

He will forever be a waste of money because that 60 million was gambled on him having a stunner of a first season. The second season we could have got him for free.

He was never going to have that stunner because he isn't particularly outstanding enough to make an instant Bruno-like impact. Now it also turns out his injury problems are worse than expected.

Grande

That MIGHT'VE worked if you had Prime Makelele or Kante. Not declining Casemiro. Or his idea was to have the defense much further up the pitch, tightening up that space between attack and defense, so the fact that none of Bruno and Mount are defensively good, be covered.
I think you’re right in that it also could have worked with jan 23 Casemiro, but not with aug 23 Casemiro. I think Amrabat was an FFP makeshift backup to Casemiro, because on his form of WC 22 he might have pulled it off, but he is clearly one (at best), two or in bad form three shelves below players like Makelele.

The part about defense I think you’ve also got spot on. Our squad is thin in defensive players able to play like that.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Mount is a great presser, it could have worked with last year's Casemiro. It's obviously a moot point now, but there was some logic to the project.

Bwuk

We would have played much higher up the park but the issues we had in defence stopped it.

If we had Varane/Martinez/Shaw fit all season we'd of played far higher up the park.