Position: Midfield - Attacking Midfield
Squad Number: #7
Foot: Right
Player Agent: Relatives
Contract Expires: Jun 30, 2028
Contract Option: Club Option 1 year
Outfitter: Nike​

Erics_Collar

In all the transfer muppetry, I never considered where he fits in the team.

Is it as simple as a midfield 3 of Casemiro - Mount - Fernandes? Does he fit that formation?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Is it as simple as a midfield 3 of Casemiro - Mount - Fernandes? Does he fit that formation?
Think so, especially considering Masons comments.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
In his first interview for MUTV he said;

“I've always seen myself as a midfielder, a no.8 that can obviously get forward, attack, try and score goals, create goals,” he explained. “But also be able to do the other side as well and defend and help the team when we're under pressure."

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Yep. Likely with a fullback inverting in possession so you basically end up with the box midfield shape a lot of teams play, like so:

Mount suits that role perfectly.

The weak link in that shape (aside from GK and CF, which we already know we need to address) is Dalot/AWB, I think. It would be nice to have a better RB in that space.

Blood Mage

He's a box-to-box midfielder so I'm not sure why some of you are expecting him to play on the wing. He played there for Chelsea once and was awful.

lex talionis

Pretty much.

And behind them I wouldn't mind seeing Amrabat, Eriksen, Fred and Mainoo.

Strelok

Yes for both questions imo.

Casemiro will be the anchor. Mount and Bruno will both be the hybrid 8. Bruno wasn't exactly a 10 last season either. He rarely got into the box and covered a shitload of ground every matches. When we attack both will be a 10 and when we defend both will be a 8. Mount simply replace Eriksen and imo he's pretty perfect for that. Lot of energy, can attack, can dribble, can pass, can score but also willing to run a lot and do the donkey work.

Imo Bruno would be the main playmaker who set the tempo. While Mount with his dribbling ability will be more of the ball carrier.

Huddsred

It makes me feel old that he was only four months old when we won the treble.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

If that three doesn't work we've made a very expensive signing as a back up!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He played fine and all. But did anyone else think he looked like Michael Owen from the screen? His frame, the 7, the hair, even the way the kit was sitting. Just got flashbacks of Owen jogging around in 09/10.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Does give me those vibes about the time when Ole was asked about tactics. But that is it. Think he will be a useful player for us.

I used to call him Chelsea's lingard. Hopefully he turns out to be a far better player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Does give me those vibes about the time when Ole was asked about tactics. But that is it. Think he will be a useful player for us.

I used to call him Chelsea's lingard. Hopefully he turns out to be a far better player.
He’s never been Chelsea’s Lingard though. Can you imaging Lingard winning our POTY twice in a row ahead of DDG? Or being instrumental in winning the CL?

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
He’s never been Chelsea’s Lingard though. Can you imaging Lingard winning our POTY twice in a row ahead of DDG? Or being instrumental in winning the CL?
I know what you mean but whenever i watched him, he gave me that impression. I must acknowledge that i don't watch a lot of football where utd ain't involved. Might have something to do with his performances for NT.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I know what you mean but whenever i watched him, he gave me that impression. I must acknowledge that i don't watch a lot of football where utd ain't involved. Might have something to do with his performances for NT.
I get where you’re coming from as there’s nothing that instantly registers as highly impressive when watching him.

When he started to excel at Chelsea there were comparisons with Foden (I think?) and I posted a few times on how I couldn’t see what the fuss was about and how he was supposed to be a top player. Now I don’t know about top player potential, but looking back on his performances, numbers, tactical qualities (as per mangers), awards etc it seems obvious that he was really good for them.

Red 142

It still shows that he was out for a while at the end of last season. It's a bit concerning as he does currently appear a bit behind some of the other players in his general intensity, physicality and energy levels.

You can tell he has class technique, good reading of the game and appears eager to win the ball back and contribute to the defensive side of things, but he seems to be lacking a bit of spark at present.

What sort of position/role did Mount play today?
8 I think.

criticalanalysis

Wasn't too enamoured and probably got way too caught in it when he was announced but I've been quietly impressed with his ability. I think one of the Chelsea fans said it best when 'you will be surprised by his technical ability'. He's been been sharp with everything. My issue, which isn't necessarily about Mount but more on tactics and their lack of time playing together, is that I worry about games like the first 10 mins of this friendly against Arsenal. It shouldn't take a 18 year old talent like Mainoo and your centre back in Martinez to be the one in taking charge and being the most effective in playing out of the press to get any sort of passing rhythm.

My hope is that Mount can drop more to play in between the lines and get more involved because from what I've seen he does have the ability; I want to see more of it.

Last edited:

Highfather_24

Playing the same role as Eriksen. As a partner to Casemiro/Mainoo in the double pivot, with license to go forward when we have the ball.

croadyman

Wasn't too enamoured and probably got way too caught in it when he was announced but I've been quietly impressed with his ability. I think one of the Chelsea fans said it best when 'you will be surprised by his technical ability'. He's been been sharp with everything. My issue, which isn't necessarily about Mount but more on tactics and their lack of time playing together, is that I worry about games like the first 10 mins of this friendly against Arsenal. It shouldn't take a 18 year old talent like Mainoo and your centre back in Martinez to be the one in taking charge and being the most effective in playing out of the press to get any sort of passing rhythm.

My hope is that Mount can drop more to play in between the lines and get more involved because from what I've seen he does have the ability; I want to see more of it.
Do you think we will see more of it

Lyng

Like Eriksen but with legs.
Pretty much. Massive upgrade for us. He lacks a bit of Eriksens passing but its only against teams sitting in deep we need that and if its needed we can now sub in Eriksen, instead of relying on him as a starter.
Mount looks like a really good signing so far.

mariko48

I'm surprised that his skills are very sharp. He can take the ball under pressure and release it quickly to attackers. That will speedup our play a lot more.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
As well as legs he seems a lot more effective than Eriksen at pressing/winning the ball back. Although his creativity will obviously be a level below Eriksen. Could be horses for courses. Mason against the big teams. Eriksen when we’re trying to unlock packed defences.
Isn’t that kinda covered by “legs?

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
As well as legs he seems a lot more effective than Eriksen at pressing/winning the ball back. Although his creativity will obviously be a level below Eriksen. Could be horses for courses. Mason against the big teams. Eriksen when we’re trying to unlock packed defences.
I'm not sure this is definately a given. Statistically Mount is very high when it comes to chances created in the Premier League. Ignoring last season's blip, in the 2 seasons before only KDB, Bruno, TAA and Son created more chances. I think Eriksen might be a bit better at controlling the pace of a game though and I'd rate his long passing as better

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Isn’t that kinda covered by “legs?
Maybe? Plenty of players who can run all day but are a bit useless at winning the ball back. Rashford, for example. Eriksen mainly lacks “legs” because he fades badly, early in the second half. But even when he’s fresh he doesn’t tend to win many 50:50’s. It’s just not his thing.

ManRed

His long passing was off but I like how he plays on half turns. He will be a big player for us.

Borys

Statistics Wizard

My hope is that Mount can drop more to play in between the lines and get more involved
because from what I've seen he does have the ability; I want to see more of it.
I think this is how we are going to play from the back. Martinez will be the main guy, Shaw will be the one to beat press and carry the ball forward but there will be a gap between Casemiro and Mount&Eriksen. Even watching Mount "all-touches vs Arsenal" he is playing higher than Eriksen and Fred imo.

I like Mount, he is very good all action midfielder but we need to accept dropping back to get the ball is not something he is used to taking care of. I don't think that's a big issue but I am a bit sceptical if we will be able to beat the press and keep the ball against organized teams.

I also don't think he's that close to Eriksen. Eriksen imposes himself on the game much more, while Mount is "reactive" and less involved. Early days, but this is pretty much what I expected based on his Chelsea days.

I'm not sure this is definately a given. Statistically Mount is very high when it comes to chances created* in the Premier League. Ignoring last season's blip, in the 2 seasons before only KDB, Bruno, TAA and Son created more chances. I think Eriksen might be a bit better at controlling the pace of a game though and I'd rate his long passing as better
Playing attacking midfielder role*
He will be playing much more restricted role at United imo.