g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Mason Mount image 7

Mason Mount England flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

3vra

It is shocking though if you barely show anything in pre-season.
that and add like 6-7 Chelsea matches and almost every England match that i have watched and i have never seen him being even good. He is just one of the statistics player you have big expectations seeing double G and A but then he fail an eye test everytime.

Walters_19_MuFc

I understand ten Hag playing him higher up today. He obviously wanted to solidify the midfield with Casemiro and Mainoo, but as soon as Mainoo went off, I'd have put him back into the deeper position, with Bruno as the 10 and Antony on the right.

That said, we need our midfielders to find him, as he is available in the half space. Just need a bit of creativity to find him.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
It’s not. Theses are just glorified training sessions. It’s the same every year. You buy new players and try to integrate them into a new side with players that are effectively strangers and no one is fully fit.

It takes time.
If you show nothing in training, that's also worrying. And we know EtH doesnt take pre season for glorified friendlies, he wants to win and the players know.

This is our biggest signing so far this summer. If fit you should be of a certain level to impress.

As long as he starts showing up by the time the season starts though.

Salfordlad70

If you show nothing in training, that's also worrying. And we know EtH doesnt take pre season for glorified friendlies, he wants to win and the players know.

This is our biggest signing so far this summer. If fit you should be of a certain level to impress.

As long as he starts showing up by the time the season starts though.
How do you know he shows nothing in training?

Of course you you’d want to win friendlies, but they are just warm up games and there is a reason you often replace most of the players after 45 mins. The win and often the performances are second to the work out and the benefits of playing semi competitive football.

It is just too early to critique individual performances. Especially new additions. I’m quite sure the lad will be ok.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
How do you know he shows nothing in training?

Of course you you’d want to win friendlies, but they are just warm up games and there is a reason you often replace most of the players after 45 mins. The win and often the performances are second to the work out and the benefits of playing semi competitive football.

It is just too early to critique individual performances. Especially new additions. I’m quite sure the lad will be ok.
You called it a glorified friendly, I am saying, even in training you want to impress / show your class.

We've been playing against good opposition though, it's clear he's a good system player but he's lacking a lot of class and imagination on the ball. Which many worried about long before his signing.

Salfordlad70

You called it a glorified friendly, I am saying, even in training you want to impress / show your class.

We've been playing against good opposition though, it's clear he's a good system player but he's lacking a lot of class and imagination on the ball. Which many worried about long before his signing.
We don’t know how he has performed in training. Neither of us do.

Some are not impressed with his signing, I get that, but he has barely even played for us. It takes time. The time to be concerned about performances is not now and tbf, he has been ok.

I will reiterate once more, this is pre season and we’re experimenting with new systems and new players and getting players conditioned for when the stakes are higher and the results matter.

The team that started the Madrid games has now all but been replaced. All players are getting game time. It’s no big thing. The manager just want them to be fit and ready.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's done fine off the ball defensively. Shown some decent moments of press resistance on the ball. Hasn't provided much playmaking. Missed a sitter in just about every game he's played

Pronewbie

Peep
Watched around 10 Chelsea matches last season because I was betting against them quite often. Mount was average/sub-par in a poor Chelsea team.

Still preseason but he's not shown anything to suggest otherwise.

My concern before signing him was whether he'd be able to take games by the scruff of the neck. Hopefully he can show that early in the season.

marktan

It's not a surprise he doesn't do much, most matches you watch with him for England and Chelsea he's the same.

R.e. his goals and assists the season before last - two factors to consider
1) Most of his assists were from corners. Remains to be seen if Varane and Martinez can convert the way Rudiger, Zouma and Thiago Silva could. Ironically slabhead is our best heading CB at corners

2) Most of his goals were late runs into the box - a space largely occupied by Bruno as the AM.

I feel like we're not getting much for our money, but if we manage to sell Mctominay for £40m we've probably got a little bit of an upgrade.

The Ferociousness

We got scammed for this dude. He's a neat tidy player who can press, but he's not going to go on any dazzling runs, he's not going to dominate the midfield he's not going to provide more creativity in the final third than what Bruno provides.

He's an upgraded Jessie Lingard, A player who will go missing for large parts of the game then may be pop up with a basic assist or finish. This will be Ten Hag's Harry Maguire signing and in a years time we'll be asking ourselves what the hell was he thinking splashing out 60 million on this guy.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I’m going to hold out saying anything because it’s preseason and all that… but yeah

People slated me for going so against this signing for weeks/months but so far I still see the same qualities I saw before we signed him.

Ironically the guy perfect for that role that Mount occupied tonight is the one that scored a goal against us a few minutes in.

Trex

Everyone needs to calm down, he just arrived and it's only preseason. This time last year Rashford looked the weakest link in an attack alongside Sancho and Martial look how that turned out.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He's done fine off the ball defensively. Shown some decent moments of press resistance on the ball. Hasn't provided much playmaking. Missed a sitter in just about every game he's played
That's it. He'll do this and keep it tidy. At the level of Fred with a completely different set of skills. Not worth 50m but unlike Fred he'll actually work well in the system. You'd assume that's the upside of this transfer. He is also younger than Rashford - Ten Hag still has the opportunity to shape him as a player.

Abraxas

Not a signing I was ever keen on for a moment but I'm not going to be getting concerned by preseason. My concern will rise if and when we're into meaningful games and he doesn't perform. Might need a few games to settle but in theory he should adjust relatively quickly.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Don't mind the signing, but giving him the 7 still baffles me.
I think its to change/move on from the past.

Have our no7 as our most hard worker rather than our most flashiest one.

Trex

That's it. He'll do this and keep it tidy. At the level of Fred with a completely different set of skills. Not worth 50m but unlike Fred he'll actually work well in the system. You'd assume that's the upside of this transfer. He is also younger than Rashford - Ten Hag still has the opportunity to shape him as a player.
He is a lot better than Fred at his best.

Eddy_JukeZ

I understand ten Hag playing him higher up today. He obviously wanted to solidify the midfield with Casemiro and Mainoo, but as soon as Mainoo went off, I'd have put him back into the deeper position, with Bruno as the 10 and Antony on the right.

That said, we need our midfielders to find him, as he is available in the half space. Just need a bit of creativity to find him.
Getting Kagawa flashbacks reading that.

I am not being critical of Mount either. I'd wait until the season starts to critique his performances.

Eddy_JukeZ

Watched around 10 Chelsea matches last season because I was betting against them quite often. Mount was average/sub-par in a poor Chelsea team.

Still preseason but he's not shown anything to suggest otherwise.

My concern before signing him was whether he'd be able to take games by the scruff of the neck. Hopefully he can show that early in the season.
If you're expecting that from him, you're always going to be disappointed.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is a lot better than Fred at his best.
Fred at his best is a seasoned international for Brazil, breaking up play, winning balls, even placing long-range shots. Top level was good. Not just quite United level on the regular. Possibly similar to this guy, however, I certainly hope this guy might fit us better which will further improve his usefulness.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Don't mind the signing, but giving him the 7 still baffles me.
This. I think it's unfair on Mason that he got the 7 shirt. It's like the expectations of a 100m quid player. We expect some flamboyant swashbuckling player in that number.

But Mount is a hardworking, smart systems player who will make the team play better.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
This. I think it's unfair on Mason that he got the 7 shirt. It's like the expectations of a 100m quid player. We expect some flamboyant swashbuckling player in that number.

But Mount is a hardworking, smart systems player who will make the team play better.
Seems quite fair, the issue is that we are going to compete against teams that have hardworking players, who make the teams play better and have individual capabilities as well to provide enough individual brilliance.

Real's midfield gave us a masterclass in that at times. It doesn't have to be either/or.

For the mean time, he will help us improve hopefully. But can't see him in the first XI for a few years, we will have to upgrade.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Seems quite fair, the issue is that we are going to compete against teams that have hardworking players, who make the teams play better and have individual capabilities as well to provide enough individual brilliance.

Real's midfield gave us a masterclass in that at times. It doesn't have to be either/or.

For the mean time, he will help us improve hopefully. But can't see him in the first XI for a few years, we will have to upgrade.
Personally, I am not sure why we got him as our 1st buy/priority.

But I assume ETH sees it differently -- Mount is a coach's player. I don't think fans will appreciate what Mason brings to the table. He is what I think we call the 'glue guy'. He makes the system work.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

But I assume ETH sees it differently -- Mount is a coach's player. I don't think fans will appreciate what Mason brings to the table. He is what I think we call the 'glue guy'. He makes the system work.
How's so? We played twice better since he's off.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I didn't see the game. What position was he playing? Seems very high on the pitch in all the touches vs Real Madrid clip on YT (the clip is very short too, for 60' on the pitch...).

Son

We got scammed for this dude. He's a neat tidy player who can press, but he's not going to go on any dazzling runs, he's not going to dominate the midfield he's not going to provide more creativity in the final third than what Bruno provides.

He's an upgraded Jessie Lingard, A player who will go missing for large parts of the game then may be pop up with a basic assist or finish. This will be Ten Hag's Harry Maguire signing and in a years time we'll be asking ourselves what the hell was he thinking splashing out 60 million on this guy.
Find us a midfielder who can press is tactically astute, can dictate play and go on dazzling runs?

Bellingham moved to Madrid, De Jong said no and iniesta is retired last time I checked.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Played 110ish minutes for us and the lot of ye written him off :lol:

The fact it’s pre-season, new club, hes not played a match since April and ontop of that Chelsea was a shitshow last season so he needs to find form again - and you lot give him 110 minutes?? Go play FIFA until the season starts proper.

izec

To be honest, this is what i expected and it wont get much better. He is just a nothing player.

We didnt need him at all. We need someone dictating, dribbling and passing around, someone that shows for the ball and makes the right decisions, not Mount.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

Let's hope so, I'm desperate to see him succeed here. Very sceptical based on what I've seen of him though.

crossy1686

career ending
To be honest, this is what i expected and it wont get much better. He is just a nothing player.

We didnt need him at all. We need someone dictating, dribbling and passing around, someone that shows for the ball and makes the right decisions, not Mount.
Haven't seen the game but this is how I felt before we even signed him. He's another player that will have good moments in games but he'll never have a good game or be the best player on the pitch.

Real Name

Jesus Christ almighty. :lol:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ji Sung Park would look crap without all of Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes or Carrick.

Just running around all over the pitch.

Chelsea fans saw him as their Park Ji Sung.

Real Name

Ji Sung Park would look crap without all of Ronaldo, Rooney, Scholes or Carrick.

You seem not to have a clue about Park if you think he just ran around.

I dont know if you write this kind of posts on purpose just to wum or these are your genuine takes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Such a hilarious post. The guy has been here half a second with players he hasn't played with before, dropped in a game against one of the best midfield trios in the world. On paper the best midfield with Bellingham in their ranks.

Mount did well in my books, he was a pressing monster and was not helped one bit by the poor work rate and ball retention of some of his peers. Only Mount and Bruno worked hard enough, Rashford was a let down, Eriksen was tripe and Garnacho was so so.

AndySmith1990

Out of all the players to moan about, he'd be near the bottom of the list. He worked his balls off and did his job well. It's players like Eriksen, Rashford and Sancho who did sod all and looked out of their depth

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

He didnt start every week though, that's my main concern.