2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Malone_Post

Spending £60 million on the English Donny Van De Beek while simultaneously trying desperately to sell the actual Donny Van De Beek is pretty spectacular even for United’s standards.

saivet

He’s a better player than he’s shown but so far he’s not what we needed. Looks a bit silly compared to Newcastle signing Tonali, hopefully it’s just a settling in period and he can learn to play in midfield.
The fact our marquee midfield signing has to learn his position shows the naivety of the signing. Hope it works out in the end but it was always a risky signing.

Revan

Assumptionman
Has to be the most brainless transfers we ever did, which is saying something considering how many we have.

All we have to do is to say to him that we will come for him next season with a huge sign in bonus. In meanwhile, to sign a fecking midfielder, a position we really need.

Instead, we burned a lot of money in a player that at best case, is a backup of Bruno, but significantly worse. And who won’t be a useful midfielder, ever.

At this stage, United should be a manual on how to be consistently wrong at everything. It is almost impossible to have such a consistent record of wrong decisions, and to be so shit after spending so much.

Pronewbie

Peep
I remember replies like this in the early Maguire days. . . Half a season in it’ll be because Casemiro’s legs have gone or Bruno is too adventurous, then next year when he’s meh it’ll be something else.

I actually don’t dislike Mount, if he came through our set up I’d love to have a player like him fill out the squad but he will never be a starter in a great United side. That’s no shame but 2 games in or not it’s clear to see he isn’t particularly special, that plus the many years we’ve seen him with Chelsea & England of course.
Nah Maguire was fine in his first season. It was post-Greece when things unraveled.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Has to be the most brainless transfers we ever did, which is saying something considering how many we have.

All we have to do is to say to him that we will come for him next season with a huge sign in bonus. In meanwhile, to sign a fecking midfielder, a position we really need.

Instead, we burned a lot of money in a player that at best case, is a backup of Bruno, but significantly worse. And who won’t be a useful midfielder, ever.

At this stage, United should be a manual on how to be consistently wrong at everything. It is almost impossible to have such a consistent record of wrong decisions, and to be so shit after spending so much.
Antony says hi.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Pretty much agree with this. Not to mention that because of this signing, we had to compromise on the striker signing due to budget

united for life

well said. Pay all this money to buy a player to play him out of his position is irrational to say the least. Will he ever adapt to this role? Time will tell

Revan

Assumptionman
I'm getting there.

It's a weird thing because he's individuallly not doing anything terrible. I thought his youth, legs and endevour behind the ball would give us more than Eriksen and he would have more attacking umpth when we were in possession.

Maybe I underated what Eriksen was doing as a central midfielder.

We will see what happens, I still trust Ten Hag. I'd love to hear him talk about it clearly and in a decent amount of depth.
If you are a central midfielder, and make 18 passes in over 80 minutes, you are doing pretty much everything terrible.

VivaRonaldo85

Chelsea must have seen us coming and are still laughing all the way to the bank, sorry I mean to the bank of Fernandez, Caicedo & Lavia.

ETH has a big issue to solve asap. The issue being his marquee summer midfield signing (and only one) requires a brand new system to ‘fit in’ and become any value to improving the starting XI. Alternatively, you drop your Club Captain and tallysman. The second option is highly unlikely so the manager has to get a system working asap.

What’s incredible is we’ve had a pre season to work on this but you wouldn’t know anything of it from the first couple of competitive games. Nothing against the lad but so far, it looks like we’ve bought a complete misfit for what we were actually crying out for.

Revan

Assumptionman
Antony says hi.
Antony made sense in theory. He is just a very mediocre player but a left footed inverted winger made sense.

Mount doesn’t make sense in theory. Plus, like Antony, he is not that good. Plus he would have been free next season. Plus we desperately needed a midfielder this season but spent the budget in a No.10.

Someone made a good analogy. Buying Mount in our position if the equivalent of having no food in the fridge, going into supermarket for shopping and spending all the money…to return with a big TV despite that you have a much better one at home.

Walters_19_MuFc

He played in midfield today. He wasn’t near the Spurs half. He made 14 passes. I don’t see it being successful at all.
Having started the way we did last season, did you see us being as successful as we were? Probably not!

Mount may not be successful here, but at least give him time. As said before, I feel ten Hag needs to make a few minor tweaks for us to find the correct balance and start putting in better performances.

redIndianDevil

Having started the way we did last season, did you see us being as successful as we were? Probably not!

Mount may not be successful here, but at least give him time. As said before, I feel ten Hag needs to make a few minor tweaks for us to find the correct balance and start putting in better performances.
Last year we didn’t have our marquee signing for few games. And we signed the perfect midfielder we lacked in ages. Casemiro brought balance to the midfield last year. Mount is our marquee midfielder this year. Hojlund is very young and is going to be extremely raw as well, so I’m not expecting anything from him once he is fit. I don’t see where the improvement is going to come from.

Cassidy

Last year we didn’t have our marquee signing for few games. And we signed the perfect midfielder we lacked in ages. Casemiro brought balance to the midfield last year. Mount is our marquee midfielder this year. Hojlund is very young and is going to be extremely raw as well, so I’m not expecting anything from him once he is back. I don’t see where the improvement is going to come from.
Alot of it will come from being fit. We massively dropped off as the game went on today, we couldn’t maintain the play and intensity we needed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He needs to start doing something very quickly. He has talent, but a midfielder who hides from the ball will get nowhere. Is this a case of him not fitting in yet, or his general tendency? We'll see. If it's his tendency like it was for Donny then he will be replaced quickly.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The fact our marquee midfield signing has to learn his position shows the naivety of the signing. Hope it works out in the end but it was always a risky signing.
Yeah, we needed an upgrade on Fred rather than needing to reinvent the system.

Malone_Post

I hate to say I told you so but… yeah I told you so. There’s a reason he’s only thrived in very specific setup for Chelsea.
We took a squad player from Chelsea, turned him into our marquee midfield signing, gave him the #7 shirt and paid them £60 million towards funding their new look midfield of Lavia & Caicedo. Masterclass.

AFC NimbleThumb

Nah Maguire was fine in his first season. It was post-Greece when things unraveled.
Southampton H, Tottenham H, Bournemouth H. 3 games to review pre-Greece. Guy was never good enough but fine cuts the mustard these days.

Mount will be the exact same, he’ll eventually have a good few games & people will extrapolate it to a period of time as they did with the likes of McFred.

Let’s return to Mount. Bang & Average.

BarstoolProphet

He played well the first half, showing that he really wanted to learn his new role. Still makes no sense to spend that amount on someone that needs to learn to fit in a new role without having the physical quality to go with it.

KD6-3.7

Said it when the links started becoming serious that it was going to be an underwhelming signing but right now it’s most likely going to become a detriment to the team and a huge waste of transfer funds.

Poses serious questions about the players Ten Hag wants as well, has made our midfield even more unbalanced and given us zero chance of seriously competing with the big teams if we can’t even control it against Wolves and Spurs.

Valencia Shin Crosses

He needs to start doing something very quickly. He has talent, but a midfielder who hides from the ball will get nowhere. Is this a case of him not fitting in yet, or his general tendency? We'll see. If it's his tendency like it was for Donny then he will be replaced quickly.
This is the second obvious mistake Ten Hag has made. Anyone with half a brain could see prioritizing Mount was a dubious/risky decision at best and a stupid one most likely. He doesn’t fit in this side and on his own is a very niche/complimentary player as opposed to a difference maker.

He had a nice first half. But my god he was awful in the second and so many thought he’d add attacking output to us when I don’t think he’s created a single chance yet.

OldTrevil

He was good in the first half when we had the high press on point and were causing Spurs a lot of problems.

Andersons Dietician

I don’t think he’s been bad in anyway, It just doesn’t look like it’ll work and that ETH might need to compromise on some of his principles. Might even need to go as far as to drop Mount or go 2 up top and stick another midfielder in to bolster it allowing Mount and Bruno freedom and us not having to rely on them defensivly

Cassidy

This is the second obvious mistake Ten Hag has made. Anyone with half a brain could see prioritizing Mount was a dubious/risky decision at best and a stupid one most likely. He doesn’t fit in this side and on his own is a very niche/complimentary player as opposed to a difference maker.

He had a nice first half. But my god he was awful in the second and so many thought he’d add attacking output to us when I don’t think he’s created a single chance yet.
Its possible fitness was an issue in the second half

ClassAct147

Him and Antony an absolute waste of money.
Going to take a big loss in offloading those two.
Question is how many more wrong players will Ten Hag bring in before he is shown the door.

always_hoping

I asked when he was signed what will he bring that's better than what Uniteds midfielders gave last season. Has been fairly mediocre thus far but hopefully he'll improve

Valencia Shin Crosses

We took a squad player from Chelsea, turned him into our marquee midfield signing, gave him the #7 shirt and paid them £60 million towards funding their new look midfield of Lavia & Caicedo. Masterclass.
Correct. And I railed all summer about how we were idiots for not prioritizing Caicedo and instead funding the move with our Mount obsession. He’d completely transform this midfield. I mean feck even Szoblozai for Liverpool looks clearly better.

Cassidy

Saying that a week into a season with a full weeks rest is… not great.
We have no idea what ETH had them doing in training during the week or in preseason. But what we can see is the team look off the pace in terms of fitness

devil in me

The signing of Mason Mount proves that we've learned nothing from the Woodward days.
We've gone for a player who was out of contract in a year, who wanted to leave and who the selling club needed to sell....and still somehow managed to pay 60million quid for him. We couldn't have hoped for a stronger negotiating position . Any competent club would've walked away and forced Chelseas hand. Not us. Embarrassing.