2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Stig

I’m going to be Captain Sour but given how well Amad & Antony did coming on, that was as anonymous a 15 minutes as I’ve seen.
Did he actually touch the ball ? I don't recall his name being mentioned nor seeing him touch the ball.

Phil

First game back and all so it’s fine, something to build on, but I Genuinely had to double check that he was actually subbed on after seeing him at extra time half time.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I thought he came on and was pretty decent considering. Tracked back like a demon several times, which we'd been missing for pretty much all the game from our other midfielders.

InfiniteBoredom

This cameo will do him a lot of good, being involved in something like that must be carthatic after his struggles this season.

Was against the signing, still not at all convinced but let’s hope he’s past his injury issues now and start to contribute.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Did he actually touch the ball ? I don't recall his name being mentioned nor seeing him touch the ball.
I honestly don't either but some are saying he worked hard defensively so I'll take their word for it.

Sylar

No reason? He cost us £55m and has been completely anonymous prior to his injury. He’s been absolutely wank, and I cannot see that changing, if I am being honest. Never rated him. A nothing player, who seems like he just runs about, really, and the naivety of fans buy into it. I don’t even put much stock into stats (rather my own eyes), and even those are shite; when you can normally selectively manipulate a few here-and-there to drive a specific narrative.
TBF, the cost isnt his fault and he doesnt deserve a battering for that.
his injury isnt his fault either. (unless he did something daft in training or in his personal life that caused it)

I do think youre being harsh on him under United. Your opinion of him pre United is fair and I wouldnt argue any of that. I think we need to see how he does with a run of games for us before we judge him as United player (as has been seen with many of our signings, Hoijlund as an example if you look at his thread earlier this season).
Ill be honest, I didnt even realise he got subbed on :lol: But its hard to judge him when hes had about 13 appearances for us scattered over 8 months.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Looking forward to seeing him along with Mainoo. Mainoos emergence has coincided with the time Mount has been out. Would improve the technical ability of the midfield and hopefully ball retention. Not sure if it's possible but I wonder if he has it in him to play a similar role to what McAllister plays for Liverpool

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'll echo the thoughts of a bloke I overheard walking out of Old Trafford

"Even Mason Mount was a great sub! I haven't got a feckin' clue what he did, but I love him now"

Dannn411

The only time he should be on the pitch from now on is playing in Bruno's position. That is the position in which he is most useful.

RuudTom83

Happy to see him on the pitch. Coming on at 105 minutes makes any analysis of his actual performance pointless.

But it's good to just see him fit enough to run around.

noelyman

No reason? He cost us £55m and has been completely anonymous prior to his injury. He’s been absolutely wank, and I cannot see that changing, if I am being honest. Never rated him. A nothing player, who seems like he just runs about, really, and the naivety of fans buy into it. I don’t even put much stock into stats (rather my own eyes), and even those are shite; when you can normally selectively manipulate a few here-and-there to drive a specific narrative.
...rather my own eyes and even those are shite. You're quite correct.

Players do not earn Chelsea's Player of the year 2 years running, not to mention being a champions league winner by being a 'nothing player , who seems like he just runs about'. And the handful of starts he's had prior to his injury are way too few a sample to say how he'll do at United. How about we 'support our players' and give them a fair crack of the whip before we write them off?

romufc

Players do not earn Chelsea's Player of the year 2 years running, not to mention being a champions league winner by being a 'nothing player , who seems like he just runs about'. And the handful of starts he's had prior to his injury are way too few a sample to say how he'll do at United. How about we 'support our players' and give them a fair crack of the whip before we write them off?
I do think he can link our midfield and attack in the future. He has that turn on him which is crucial when you receive the ball on the half turn.

I do like the fact that we have so many hindsight experts on this forum, people calling him waste because he has been injured most of the season, you cant really account for that when buying..

I hope he gets games from now till the end of the season.

Alemar

Well, at least he is back. Probably next time he will be fit for some 30 minutes - it’s useful to have another option on the bench. We don’t boast of bench quality, and when the only viable option is Amrabat, the return of Mount is welcome

Last edited:

Stig

Well, at least he is back. Probably next time he will be fit for some 30 minutes - it’s useful to have another option on the bench. We don’t boast of bench quality, and when the only viable option is Amrabat, the return of Mount is welcome
Well said, a very sensible post.

Leethal

Please. Those player of the years were nepotism at its finest, being ‘one of their own’. He wasn’t even close to their best player. And being a champions league winner - so? Look at some of the shite wearing our shirt that were “champions league winners”.

In regard to form, those handful of starts for us where he has been shite are a continuation of the 18 or so months prior (at Chelsea and the national team), where he has been pretty wank also.

Absolute nothing player. Not a chance in hell he’s worth what we paid for him; let alone in the final stages of his contract. You can pick up superior/comparable quality across the continent for far, far less. But he’s English, innit. And we’re stupid enough to throw north of £50m and wages of £200k+ on a player whose contract was expiring - and don’t get me started on the issuance of our iconic #7.

You say “support our player”. He’s a fecking mercenary. The shit we deride constantly at other teams. He left his boyhood club to chase that Manchester United money; and a few Instagram posts and a bit of running around won’t convince me otherwise. The naivety of some of our fans, though, lap it up.

noelyman

Please. Those player of the years were nepotism at its finest, being ‘one of their own’. He wasn’t even close to their best player. And being a champions league winner - so? Look at some of the shite wearing our shirt that were “champions league winners”.

In regard to form, those handful of starts for us where he has been shite are a continuation of the 18 or so months prior (at Chelsea and the national team), where he has been pretty wank also.

Absolute nothing player. Not a chance in hell he’s worth what we paid for him; let alone in the final stages of his contract. You can pick up superior/comparable quality across the continent for far, far less. But he’s English, innit. And we’re stupid enough to throw north of £50m and wages of £200k+ on a player whose contract was expiring - and don’t get me started on the issuance of our iconic #7.
You say “support our player”. He’s a fecking mercenary. The shit we deride constantly at other teams. He left his boyhood club to chase that Manchester United money; and a few Instagram posts and a bit of running around won’t convince me otherwise. The naivety of some of our fans, though, lap it up.
You don't like Mason Mount we get it. You didn't like the idea of the transfer in the first place and therefore have an unhealthy obsession with hating on a player before 'gving him a fair crack of the whip'.

A quick search shows that you've posted your 'set in stone' views on Mason Mount being a 'nothing player' including before he'd even played more than a couple of games for us. So yes most of the rest of us fans wait until a player has actually got more than a toe in the door and have given them a fair crack of the whip before declaring them as crap. But not you. You're gonna die on your the hill with your entrenched position that Mason Mount is a nothing player.

Was Rooney a mercenary for leaving his boyhood club to join us? Or Rio for leaving West Ham? Just stop pretending to find justification for your position and instead just admit "I have an irrational and inexplicable hatred of Mason Mount'. It would be a much more honest take.

Leethal

You don't like Mason Mount we get it. You didn't like the idea of the transfer in the first place and therefore have an unhealthy obsession with hating on a player before 'gving him a fair crack of the whip'.

Was Rooney a mercenary for leaving his boyhood club to join us? Or Rio for leaving West Ham? Just stop pretending to find justification for your position and instead just admit "I have an irrational and inexplicable hatred of Mason Mount'. It would be a much more honest take.
Wrong. Completely ambivalent to Mount the person. Mount the footballer though….. you’re right. Never rated him. Not even slightly.

1. Why is he afforded a ‘fair crack of the whip’? He’s not coming to a new league, so no adjustment needed in that regard. If he was playing well prior to the transfer, that would be one thing. But he wasn’t. He was largely rubbish, and that continued post-transfer.

2. Rooney and Rio left to join United for ambitious purposes. We were serial winners and it made sense, from a career perspective, to join. Significant difference from Mount joining us while we’re quite shite, if I am being honest. Certainly nowhere near the levels when Rooney and Rio joined. From a career perspective what does Mount gain from joining us? Not much. But he certainly adds a few zeros to his bank account, because as said, we are stupid enough to pay him what Chelsea wouldn’t. If Chelsea stumped up the figures we are currently paying, no chance in hell he leaves.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Wrong. Completely ambivalent to Mount the person. Mount the footballer though….. you’re right. Never rated him. Not even slightly.

1. Why is he afforded a ‘fair crack of the whip’? He’s not coming to a new league, so no adjustment needed in that regard. If he was playing well prior to the transfer, that would be one thing. But he wasn’t. He was largely rubbish, and that continued post-transfer.

2. Rooney and Rio left to join United for ambitious purposes. We were serial winners and it made sense, from a career perspective, to join. Significant difference from Mount joining us while we’re quite shite, if I am being honest. Certainly nowhere near the levels when Rooney and Rio joined. From a career perspective what does Mount gain from joining us? Not much. But he certainly adds a few zeros to his bank account, because as said, we are stupid enough to pay him what Chelsea wouldn’t. If Chelsea stumped up the figures we are currently paying, no chance in hell he leaves.
He should be afforded a fair crack of the whip because that's what United fans give our players.

I'm with you in that I didn't rate Mount before he joined and for all the reasons you've stated it's not looking good here either. However he's not yet had a run of games in a settled team. He might turn into another Donny but we even gave him more than a fair shake. Let's hope he can prove us wrong

Roane

Putting price and people's views on him as a player to one side. I understood the signing of Mount.

Most teams buy players from abroad with a view to giving them a season to bed in. We don't have that luxury unless we are happy to be 10th.

I mean a city had likes of Grealish and Stones who couldn't get a game and they were not from abroad.

I think the mistake we made was not getting players from the Prem for other positions. So instead of a Weghorst bring in a Prem striker who is aging etc. Even bringing back Welbeck would have been better in my opinion.

Someone on another thread mentioned Barkley. Would I say he was a signing we make for the first 11? No but I feel he would have done a good job temporarily whilst we got our house in order.

Dwight Yorke I think mentioned Lukaku needs to be in the Prem again at 30 years old as he does score. With our limited strikers I wouldn't be averse to it despite me thinking Lukaku isn't a long term solution.

I don't expect people to agree with the names I mentioned, hell I don't think I agree fully. But the point is valid in my opinion. Sometimes you have to go with what is Prem ready and can do a job.

OwlvsFox

Putting price and people's views on him as a player to one side. I understood the signing of Mount.

Most teams buy players from abroad with a view to giving them a season to bed in. We don't have that luxury unless we are happy to be 10th.

I mean a city had likes of Grealish and Stones who couldn't get a game and they were not from abroad.

I think the mistake we made was not getting players from the Prem for other positions. So instead of a Weghorst bring in a Prem striker who is aging etc. Even bringing back Welbeck would have been better in my opinion.

Someone on another thread mentioned Barkley. Would I say he was a signing we make for the first 11? No but I feel he would have done a good job temporarily whilst we got our house in order.

Dwight Yorke I think mentioned Lukaku needs to be in the Prem again at 30 years old as he does score. With our limited strikers I wouldn't be averse to it despite me thinking Lukaku isn't a long term solution.

I don't expect people to agree with the names I mentioned, hell I don't think I agree fully. But the point is valid in my opinion. Sometimes you have to go with what is Prem ready and can do a job.
Lukaku? Now I have seen it all. My god!

Kjorra

The player we should have gone for was Kovačić.

noelyman

Regardless of whether you've ever rated Mason Mount for footballing reasons he now wears a Man United shirt and therefore most rational supporters would understand that 'giving him a fair crack of the whip' is the very least that a supporter should do.

He's been at Chelsea since being a kid and is now having to adapt to a United side that plenty of other players have struggled to find form in and has had his start disrupted by injury, also not ideal. He may or not make it at United but your insistence to dismiss him before he ever pulled on the shirt or after a couple of games is bizarre. With such little tolerance you'd have presumably labelled Evra, Vidic and more recently Hoijland as duds based on their struggles at the beginning of their man united careers.

FYI Rio left West Ham for the same mercenary reasons you're condemning Mount, to Leeds who were similarly placed as West Ham but had rich owners splashing the cash. It wasn't until years after that he moved to United for 'footballing reasons' though of course a bigger paycheck would have helped.

Last edited:

Leethal

Regardless of whether you've ever rated Mason Mount for footballing reasons he now wears a Man United shirt and therefore most rational supporters would understand that 'giving him a fair crack of the whip' is the very least that a supporter should do.

He's been at Chelsea since being a kid and is now having to adapt to a United side that plenty of other players have struggled to find form in and has had his start disrupted by injury, also not ideal. He may or not make it at United but your insistence to dismiss him before he ever pulled on the shirt or after a couple of games is bizarre. With such little tolerance you'd have presumably labelled Evra, Vidic and more recently Hoijland as duds based on their struggles at the beginning of their man united careers.

FYI Rio left West Ham for the same mercenary reasons you're condemning Mount, to Leeds who were similarly placed as West Ham but had rich owners splashing the cash. It wasn't until 5 years after that he moved to United for 'footballing reasons' though of course a bigger paycheck would have helped.
Evra, Vidic and Hojlund came from different leagues and were not used to the physicality and speed of the premier league. Mount did not. They receive concessions as they acclimatise. Further, Mount was shite at Chelsea prior to signing, too. If he was playing well, we could attribute his horrendous form for us to change of systems, etc. But fact of the matter is, he’s performing for us more or less the same as he was for Chelsea and the national team for a good year prior to his transfer. Which is shite.

I support Manchester United. Not players. As such, I think signings such as Mount are what we, as a club, should absolutely steer clear of. Which, so far, seems to be a justified viewpoint.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Evra, Vidic and Hojlund came from different leagues and were not used to the physicality and speed of the premier league. Mount did not. They receive concessions as they acclimatise. Further, Mount was shite at Chelsea prior to signing, too. If he was playing well, we could attribute his horrendous form for us to change of systems, etc. But fact of the matter is, he’s performing for us more or less the same as he was for Chelsea and the national team for a good year prior to his transfer. Which is shite.

I support Manchester United. Not players. As such, I think signings such as Mount are what we, as a club, should absolutely steer clear of. Which, so far, seems to be a justified viewpoint.
What a weird thing to say. Don’t even think that makes sense. Who do you think plays the football? Everyone that’s apart of the club is Manchester United.

Gordon's Hill

I know a few season ticket holders at Chelsea who thought they robbed us blind with Mount, that he had been found out in PL or just had a purple patch at one point. Also carrying an injury before we signed so didn't start for last 20 odd matches before the summer. This questions our medical team but also as you say he has been quite poor for Chelsea for a season or more. We supposedly signed him because the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool were after him, just classic United falling for agent talk, a bit like City supposedly wanting Fred.

Leethal

What a weird thing to say. Don’t even think that makes sense. Who do you think plays the football? Everyone that’s apart of the club is Manchester United.
I will not suddenly start supporting/rating a player, for the blind fact he now plays for Manchester United. That’d be incredibly fickle.

Always found Mount to be rather cack. I’m not suddenly going to start thinking otherwise because he’s signed for the club I support.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I will not suddenly start supporting/rating a player, for the blind fact he now plays for Manchester United. That’d be incredibly fickle.

Always found Mount to be rather cack. I’m not suddenly going to start thinking otherwise because he’s signed for the club I support.
That’s fair enough. You don’t have to like the player but if you’re saying you support the club then surely it’s in everyone’s best interest he succeeds here which may mean the club succeeding.

tomaldinho1

I know a few season ticket holders at Chelsea who thought they robbed us blind with Mount, that he had been found out in PL or just had a purple patch at one point. Also carrying an injury before we signed so didn't start for last 20 odd matches before the summer. This questions our medical team but also as you say he has been quite poor for Chelsea for a season or more. We supposedly signed him because the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool were after him, just classic United falling for agent talk, a bit like City supposedly wanting Fred.
Every Chelsea fan I know is gutted Mount left, he was a popular player and had had a number of good seasons. I think they were surprised by the fee size given his contract situation (as is every club when United come knocking and agree silly money) but there's no point rewriting history that he was this bad player who'd had multiple bad seasons. This forum seems to think you are either world class or rubbish, Mount had four seasons at Chelsea, three were good and the last wasn't (he was also good with Derby and Vitesse although a different level of football) but then who has done well since Boehly came in?

He might not succeed here but he's a good all round player with a good attitude and I'm looking forward to seeing him get a run of games.

noelyman

You are conflating two things, supporting and rating, and acting like they’re one and the same. It’s perfectly rational to see limitations in a player (not rate) and yet give them the benefit of the doubt (support) them while they are playing for your team.

What seems pretty irrational is having an entrenched opinion on a player and refusing to ‘support, give a fair crack of the whip’ or at the very least reserve judgement on a player before you’ve actually seen a large enough sample of him playing for us.

Why are you so eager to be ‘proved right’ about Mount? And will you be so stubbornly entrenched if he finally finds his feet and shows the form that many in the game a lot more knowledgable than Leethal know Mason Mount is capable of?

I suspect humble pie is not on your menu.

Leethal

That’s fair enough. You don’t have to like the player but if you’re saying you support the club then surely it’s in everyone’s best interest he succeeds here which may mean the club succeeding.
I do want him to succeed, obviously. As that clearly benefits the club I support. Doesn’t mean I have to rate Mount, though. It’s up to him to change public opinion; it’s not a god given right because he signed for a club.

Leethal

You are conflating two things, supporting and rating, and acting like they’re one and the same. It’s perfectly rational to see limitations in a player (not rate) and yet give them the benefit of the doubt (support) them while they are playing for your team.

What seems pretty irrational is having an entrenched opinion on a player and refusing to ‘support, give a fair crack of the whip’ or at the very least reserve judgement on a player before you’ve actually seen a large enough sample of him playing for us.

Why are you so eager to be ‘proved right’ about Mount? And will you be so stubbornly entrenched if he finally finds his feet and shows the form that many in the game a lot more knowledgable than Leethal know Mason Mount is capable of?

I suspect humble pie is not on your menu.
I hope he does prove me wrong. Why would I want a player that plays for us to fail? Doesn’t mean I have to currently rate him, though?

Doracle

Whilst it’s perfectly fair to give Mount a chance, this is not some unknown quantity. This is a player who England fans wanted out of the National team for several years and simply didn’t rate. We’ve also see him play a lot for Chelsea.

What we have seen of him so far at United is simply consistent with what we expected. He doesn’t look suited to play a No.8 type role and looks likely to be a back up to Bruno, even when fully fit. He’s a tidy unspectacular player, who can do a decent job as a number 10.

Now, he might amaze us when he’s fully fit and replace Casemiro or Bruno in the team by producing consistent game-changing performances. That would be fantastic. As it is though, he’s a disaster of a signing who we could have been picked up for free in about 2 months time.