Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yup. Mount is being massively underrated on here. I think people are getting confused between "he's not the ideal perfect option" with "he's shit". He's a realistic option, he's at a great age, he is versatile, he's shown a very high level and improves us loads towards being a proactive, counter pressing team. We won't have that guy who can slow the game down to dictate, but you can't address everything in 1 window. Will take time. Pep has been with City for 7 years now. Step 1 is being better at counter pressing and competing, the tempo dominance and full control is the last step. Get a striker, get a comfortable ball playing goalkeeper and have a team with no passengers in all phases of the game. You can't compete without that
100%

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm not his biggest fan , but watching the game today, one thing we lacked in midfield in abundance was mobility. Eriksen has stacks of ability but he can barely move anymore. Fred covers a lot of ground but he's very sluggish off the mark and on the half turn. Mount definitely adds a lot of what we're missing, even if the signing doesn't particularly excite me. My only concern is the English tax that will most likely be tacked on to his fee.

Roboc7

To be fair many said Rashford had stagnated before this season. I see no reason why Mount couldn't get to his 2020/21 and 2021/22 levels.
I agree and no one has looked good at Chelsea this season so his form could improve dramatically very quickly.

Walters_19_MuFc

To be fair many said Rashford had stagnated before this season. I see no reason why Mount couldn't get to his 2020/21 and 2021/22 levels.
I wouldn't pay attention to Mount's performances this season. A lot of new players, new managers - it's a mess at Chelsea, just as it was when Rashford has a poor season.

Get him under ten Hag, and we'll see a player that understands his role down to a tee, both on and off the ball.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
I'm not loving this.. think it's a terrible idea. Hasn't got the mentality and always comes across as someone who thinks they are better than they actually are.

Surely, we can get someone else?
He was their player of the year in a CL winning season though?

He also assisted their goal in the final if I remember correctly. I don’t see how you can question his mentality.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I wouldn't pay attention to Mount's performances this season. A lot of new players, new managers - it's a mess at Chelsea, just as it was when Rashford has a poor season.

Get him under ten Hag, and we'll see a player that understands his role down to a tee, both on and off the ball.
Yeah. I'm not 100% sold on him being what we need the most, but I have every reason to trust EtH. If he wants Mount he surely sees him as a player who can improve us.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was their player of the year in a CL winning season though?

He also assisted their goal in the final if I remember correctly. I don’t see how you can question his mentality.
Yeah. Not to mention he's a work horse, never give up attitude, doesn't go hiding in games ... Don't understand what people watch sometimes.

Smudger22587

Seeing how slow we were in the middle of the park concerned me, I understand the heat but Eriksen was pretty much non existent and even Casemiro looked sluggish. Mount would help with energy and willingness to put in a shift

MalaysianRed7

I’ve never been his biggest fan but if Ten Hag wants him, then I’m more than happy to have him. He’s done enough to have my implicit trust.

Fahad Jawaid

Well the reason why people are against this signing and this match has further provided evidence of the same is that, we need to have a better version of Eriksen, somebody whose even better on the ball and off the ball can press and physically dominate.

That's why Caicedo or Rice is a far better option if we are spending significant amount. I would rather Rabiot and Caicedo/Rice as compared to spending 50/60M on him, which will take us no closer to City/Bayern/Madrid.

I don't understand Ten Hag here, all the best teams the Barca (Iniesta, Xavi and Biscuit) or the Bayern Schwini, Kroos and Martinez or Madrid (Casemiro, Modric and Kroos), all have one thing common, One DM, one CM who can control and one AM or three midfielders who can actually pass and control football and equally defend.

Whereas we are moving towards players like Bruno and Mount, who don't control the matches or set the tempo, neither are physically dominating or contribute defensively. My concern is we will continue to be overrun in away matches next season and would be discussing the same issue next season.

Dominos

Well the reason why people are against this signing and this match has further provided evidence of the same is that, we need to have a better version of Eriksen, somebody whose even better on the ball and off the ball can press and physically dominate.

That's why Caicedo or Rice is a far better option if we are spending significant amount. I would rather Rabiot and Caicedo/Rice as compared to spending 50/60M on him, which will take us no closer to City/Bayern/Madrid.

I don't understand Ten Hag here, all the best teams the Barca (Iniesta, Xavi and Biscuit) or the Bayern Schwini, Kroos and Martinez or Madrid (Casemiro, Modric and Kroos), all have one thing common, One DM, one CM who can control and one AM or three midfielders who can actually pass and control football and equally defend.

Whereas we are moving towards players like Bruno and Mount, who don't control the matches or set the tempo, neither are physically dominating or contribute defensively. My concern is we will continue to be overrun in away matches next season and would be discussing the same issue next season.
If we also sign Rabiot on a free it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up starting a lot alongside Casemiro next year, particularly in more challenging games.

Mount playing the easier games alongside Casemiro, and sometimes playing Bruno's position when he needs rotating.

My concern is we definitely need 2 midfielders, not just Mount.

Cela shomana

This, if we sign him then we should forget about games control in tough games. His profile doesn't compliment our main midfield players. Unless we want to improve our strength of playing in transition.

sixdwarf

I'm not his biggest fan , but watching the game today, one thing we lacked in midfield in abundance was mobility. Eriksen has stacks of ability but he can barely move anymore. Fred covers a lot of ground but he's very sluggish off the mark and on the half turn. Mount definitely adds a lot of what we're missing, even if the signing doesn't particularly excite me. My only concern is the English tax that will most likely be tacked on to his fee.
He is not worth more than £40m but Chelsea want £70m. We walk.away. There are better options

Abraxas

His England performances have been beyond poor. Genuinely shocking. Complete inability to impact a game. Definitely don't be looking at any of them if you want to get excited about this one.

I felt like he should have done a lot better within them and there wasn't a particularly convincing explanation for why he was quite so bad. "But Southgate" isn't a great one when the very same Southgate is probably one of the few managers in the world who would have backed him to the same extent. He had trust. Also other players managed to perform better than he did within the same structure.

I wish I could erase them from my memory, but when you've got that and a disappointing current season it does hurt the excitement somewhat.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Think he’ll be an upgrade on Eriksen looking at todays game.

C'est Moi Cantona

Given our need elsewhere, and our alleged limited budget this summer then I'll beleive it when I see it, until then it isn't happening.

pascell

If Mount is the answer then you are asking the wrong question. How can you watch that game and come to the conclusion that Mount's quality would have done anything? Eriksen wasn't great, but playing Sabitzer/McTom instead wouldn't have been any different from having Mount in there.

Mount is another run-of-the-mill midfielder, the type we have a few of already. Should not be seen as this savior of our midfield, which given what Chelsea are asking, appears to be the case here.
You must have missed City constantly overrunning our midfield and Eriksen struggling to catch up with their players. He was a liability out there today and should be a squad player next season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I just don't see how Mount addresses what we saw today.

If you think our problem is that Eriksen runs out of gas after an hour, Mount looks like a possible solution. However, if you worry that even at his best Eriksen couldn't stand up to tall feckers like DeBruyne and Rodri...

Mount, to me, is just the wrong profile of player. Our scouts had it right when they were after Camavinga etc. Mount will get bullied just like Eriksen.

Given what we need to go forward, I think moving for Mount is a bit baffling. It's like we're trying to upgrade on what we've got, without asking ourselves whether what we've got is actually the right mix.

surf

Mount would easily get into today's team as a starter. And he's versatile which is invaluable. He'd play most games. The fee might be a problem though.

redIndianDevil

Yeah. Not to mention he's a work horse, never give up attitude, doesn't go hiding in games ... Don't understand what people watch sometimes.
One of his major flaws as stated by Chelsea fans and plenty of analysts is that he goes hiding in games.

redIndianDevil

Adding Mount to our midfield will only add more chaos. I don’t understand how people think a player like Mount would help our midfield against teams like City, we had Fred, Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro today in the midfield and we got overrun, couldn’t create shit.

It’s clear what we needed in midfield today, a player capable of evading pressure and making intelligent forward passes. Mount is not good at that.

redIndianDevil

Mount would easily get into today's team as a starter. And he's versatile which is invaluable. He'd play most games. The fee might be a problem though.
Would he have improved our midfield today? That’s the question we should be asking. Mount cannot add more workrate than Fred, so his workrate which is mooted as one of his biggest strengths is quite useless if we don’t have midfielders capable of creating from the deep. Is Mount capable of doing that? I don’t think so. We desperately need a proper central midfielder who won’t lose possession easily and also can make quick incisive passes that hurts opponents or sets off our attack.

redIndianDevil

You must have missed City constantly overrunning our midfield and Eriksen struggling to catch up with their players. He was a liability out there today and should be a squad player next season.
Yes you are right. But Mount is another player of similar profile but with better workrate. We tried clogging our midfield today with Fred and Eriksen and it didn’t work . For 60m and 200k week wages we need a guaranteed starter not a backup like Eriksen.

surf

Would he have improved our midfield today? That’s the question we should be asking. Mount cannot add more workrate than Fred, so his workrate which is mooted as one of his biggest strengths is quite useless if we don’t have midfielders capable of creating from the deep. Is Mount capable of doing that? I don’t think so. We desperately need a proper central midfielder who won’t lose possession easily and also can make quick incisive passes that hurts opponents or sets off our attack.
Looking at how little Eriksen or Sancho offered, why not? I'm not saying he is the complete answer but I think he would be ahead of a lot of the players who are already in the squad.

E-mal

We are about to make another mistake, we need a different profile

Yagami

Good post resistant
What we need is obvious. Press resistant players. Mount is another lightweight.

If we sign him, we've learnt nothing. Another Kagawa, Mata, Mkhitaryan, Donny, Sancho, Eriksen.

redIndianDevil

Seeing how slow we were in the middle of the park concerned me, I understand the heat but Eriksen was pretty much non existent and even Casemiro looked sluggish. Mount would help with energy and willingness to put in a shift
We need proper midfield talent if we are to compete for titles, we don’t need workhorses. Our midfield is crying out for some creativity since the days of SAF, why do we continue to persist with adding workhorses and players with good workrate. Mount can run all he want but he is never going to transition our midfield.

CM

I really can't get over this idea of us using Casemiro as the sole midfielder with Fernandes and Mount pushing up. It might be what Ten Hag wants but it seems fundamentally wrong. We've been screaming out for a bit of control in midfield for the majority of the season and now we're doubling down on the gung ho midfield with Mount in place of Eriksen. Not only that but we're going to have to pay stupid money for the privilege, with a player who will be out of contract next summer.

Even more frustrating when there are players like Caicedo and Ugarte who will be readily available this summer and we're seemingly ignoring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.