Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Withnail

So what’s unacceptable about moving on from Mount and looking at other targets?
I didn't say that either. Obviously we shouldn't be held to ransom or made mugs of. There should always be the threat of leaving a deal and we should always have alternative targets but using those as negotiation tactics vs actually walking away and signing someone deemed less suited to the manager's needs in late June doesn't strike me as all too clever.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Feck Chelsea off and go for McTom/ Fred + £50 million for Caicedo. Mount can always join us next summer on a free, and we can have the pre-agreement in place in January.
And Brighton would happily take Fred or McT ?

Doracle

Most we should do here is a bit of a re-structure of our offer around the edges. To be honest, I’d be tempted to make another lower offer and give them a 24 hour deadline. Absolutely no way we should be increasing our offer at all.

TrailMonkey

I can easily imagine our recruitment team working sequentially through a list of players, and twiddling their thumbs waiting for each offer to be turned down before simply offering more money until it’s either accepted or (in FDJ’s case) the deadline passes.

Would like to think they’re actively progressing other options and are ready to snap up their second or third choice for sensible money whilst telling Chelsea to do one. Get some assurance with Mount that we’ll come back for him in a free next year or have his agent lay it on the line with Boehly’s negotiators.

redIndianDevil

I didn't say that either. Obviously we shouldn't be held to ransom or made mugs of. There should always be the threat of leaving a deal and we should always have alternative targets but using those as negotiation tactics vs actually walking away and signing someone deemed less suited to the manager's needs in late June doesn't strike me as all too clever.
You can’t use empty threats as negotiation tactics. We put out news that 55m was final and we are walking away. Now that they have called our bluff we have to walk away. If you don’t then you are only setting yourself up for something similar in your other transfers as well.

Late June? How early do you want your transfers to be? All clubs sign players who weren’t their first targets and get on with their jobs.

Matt007a

We should walk away from this and wait for them to come back with a better deal. Years of over paying and having our pants pulled down on transfers is still biting us in the arse.

Chelsea are only asking for so much because Woodward would have paid it. They’re testing Murtough now to see if they can do the same thing. We have to take a stand at some point and say no to over inflated deals.

They will be left with a player they clearly see as not needed, who doesn’t want to be there leaving for nothing next season. They stand to lose a lot more than we do out of not accepting a deal.

Withnail

It’s a fan forum. Are we not supposed to discuss about football unless we “educate” ourselves with it so we can understand? It is my opinion that there is no rocket science involved in transfers that only few experts can understand.

You need to be an expert to scout, analyse and identify talents across the world and come up with transfer targets. That is the difficult part. If clear to everyone that Chelsea are overvaluing a player in the last year of his contract. But people here don’t care about it and want us to fork over cash to a club we are on par with. It will directly strengthen them if they invest properly or Mount doesn’t work out for us.
You see it all the time though (and this isn't directed at you specifically as a poster) but people get antsy because we haven't signed anyone quick enough for them and it's either 'walk away or we'll get shafted' vs 'pay whatever Barcelona want for FDJ'. It just gets a little tiresome so I had a bit of a rant. As you say, it's a forum after all.

Halftrack

I looked at the first few pages of this thread thr the last few and now I'm confused at how he became a "must" singing for us from being "their Lingard".

I haven't seen him play much but the YouTube complications aren't inspiring.
I guess because a lot of the posters in the first few pages were/are clueless.

quadrant

I’d be relaxed about walking away tbh, Mount is a good addition but not a critical one and we can pick him up for free in a year.

Eric_the_Red99

Is anyone else going to swoop in for Mount and pay Chelsea’s asking price if we walk away? If not, it seems like Chelsea are playing a dangerous game of chicken, potentially allowing Mount to leave on a free next summer because they’re quibbling over a few million.

While I think our latest offer was still too generous I’m glad we’ve said enough is enough. If we’d given Chelsea what they wanted our well -earned reputation for being push-overs in the transfer market would be confirmed.

lumeyes

Ridiculous!

This club hasn't been run as a football club for a while now. It looks like we are not yet out of the woods.
How do you explain the desperate move to sign a current bit-part player who has only one year left in his contract.

It doesn't matter is he is ETH first choice - after all Antony was a first choice once - it would be stupid to pay anything more than 50 million pounds after our recent experiences with big budget transfers

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Just have to let things sweat out. Think this gets done but itll be 55 +5 or something.

Logi

I’d be relaxed about walking away tbh, Mount is a good addition but not a critical one and we can pick him up for free in a year.
At what point do we stop the mentality "we'll be competitive next year", and just get deals done to start competing already next season?
I feel we either need to admit that we will only go for a top 4 finish next year, wait on Kane and Mount, and spend our money on a goal keeper, Rice and a second striker this year, or go all-in and get the deals done (not realistic with our budget and owner situation).

quethenoo

Ridiculous!

This club hasn't been run as a football club for a while now. It looks like we are not yet out of the woods.
How do you explain the desperate move to sign a current bit-part player who has only one year left in his contract.

It doesn't matter is he is ETH first choice - after all Antony was a first choice once - it would be stupid to pay anything more than 50 million pounds after our recent experiences with big budget transfers
In what way is it desperate? Total doom mongering. From this article: https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-united-mason-mount-chelsea-27191052

If United opt to walk away from Mount, they have at least four other midfield targets to turn to. Well-placed sources say any addition would be "acceptable" but Mount is manager Erik ten Hag's preferred option.

United finalised a long list of targets per position in April and Ten Hag began holding video calls with players before the season had ended.

Crimson King

Lets not act like it was a well thought out plan…chasing a player who didn’t want to come for months to then move onto a completely different type of midfielder in a panic after those first 2 embarrassing games
Well it's been well reported that we'd actually been in conversation with his reps for long time, which is why the move happened quite quickly and blindsided quite a few people when it eventually materialised.

Why is believing that any different to your belief that there wasn't any plan at all?

And there aren't any other midfielders like FdJ at the moment. Signing someone else would have always been a different type of player.

Superden

Never understand why people talk about pre-contracts like they're relevant to anything.

If we don't sign him now he won't play a game for us until August 2024. That's a lot more than 6 months.
i was talking about Munich signing him up on Jan 1st for free - on a pre-contract. even though he cant play for anyone else till Jul 24, it still takes him off the market etc etc

Withnail

You can’t use empty threats as negotiation tactics. We put out news that 55m was final and we are walking away. Now that they have called our bluff we have to walk away. If you don’t then you are only setting yourself up for something similar in your other transfers as well.

Late June? How early do you want your transfers to be? All clubs sign players who weren’t their first targets and get on with their jobs.
I mean that there's a difference between dropping the player as a target completely and signing someone else vs cooling things for a little and letting it be known that you are negotiating with other clubs. I think this one probably still gets done at some stage because the clubs are so close in their valuations and we already have an agreement with the player.

On the other point I meant some people have a tendency to panic that we haven't signed anyone almost as soon as the window opens.

Fahad Jawaid

We are absolute mugs and will remain so unless we show we are prepared to walk away. This weird backing up the manager regardless of price because he wants a certain player has already resulted in us paying 80m for Maguire, 50m for AWB which are both very overpriced.

Then we went on to pay 85m for Antony which was again a shocking deal and we are on to pay 60 odd million for a player who will leave for a free after 12 months. No wonder no club takes us seriously and we are a laughing stalk and remain so until we take a stand for once.

The likes of Madrid and Bayern pick up these 1 year left players for 25 to 30 odd million Euros. Whereas we are begging Chelsea to accept 50m pounds.

Withnail

At what point do we stop the mentality "we'll be competitive next year", and just get deals done to start competing already next season?
I feel we either need to admit that we will only go for a top 4 finish next year, wait on Kane and Mount, and spend our money on a goal keeper, Rice and a second striker this year, or go all-in and get the deals done (not realistic with our budget and owner situation).
As far as I'm concerned we would need an amazing window and a much bigger budget then seems possible to challenge for the league next year. We definitely need a CF this year imo. Others will improve and we will need to increase our number of goals scored to even remain in contention for top 4.

zaafi

Such a weird sense of entitlement he has when he’s angry at us potentially walking away. Like we somehow owe it to Chelsea to complete the deal on their terms. I can picture this guy at a car boot sale angrily chasing customers down the street and hurling abuse at them.
Yeah, it's so fecking weird :lol:

I hope Brighton demand £150m for Caicedo and go down to £148m after Chelsea inevitably offers £85-90m. cnuts.

redIndianDevil

I mean that there's a difference between dropping the player as a target completely and signing someone else vs cooling things for a little and letting it be known that you are negotiating with other clubs. I think this one probably still gets done at some stage because the clubs are so close in their valuations and we already have an agreement with the player.

On the other point I meant some people have a tendency to panic that we haven't signed anyone almost as soon as the window opens.
By walking away people expect exactly that. To start looking at alternatives, if Chelsea still don’t want to come down then we should be signing someone else and be happy with it. Not every club gets to sign their preferred targets .

flappyjay

Late June is one of the best times as its before pre season, if a deal could be done. All teams Walk way but we believe our club should do everything it takes, which is part of the reason we have been overpaying for so long. City have walked away from cucurella, maguire, kane, Sanchez in the past few years. There is always someone else out there just like we went from FDJ(we didn't even walk away fro this one either) to casemiro.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
By walking away people expect exactly that. To start looking at alternatives, if Chelsea still don’t want to come down then we should be signing someone else and be happy with it. Not every club gets to sign their preferred targets .
Mason really wants the move allegedly so this deal will get done even if we “[action redacted]”

DickDastardly

You've already offered way more than that.
Our offer was 50+5 already.
We have offered more than that already and it has been knocked back.

And as the time goes by and the window closes, they'll soon realize they have about 10 players more then they need, who don't want to be there....

Suddenly 40 looks a steal.

This won't end before the deadline.

We have the upper position in the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.