Mason Mount | Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
I’ve only seen Chelsea fans Moan about Mount leaving. I’ve not seen them to bothered about Kovacic, koulibaly etc. says a lot really.
After hazard he only provided us numbers consistently. He overcame all the challenges thrown at him from all the signings and manager like tuchel didnt start him straight away but he earned the place in the team and kept it.

We will be alright like before but you got bargain and thats what hurt us more. If we have one more year option you wouldnt have signed him.

I think TT sacking nailed it for him in my opinion.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
After hazard he only provided us numbers consistently. He overcame all the challenges thrown at him from all the signings and manager like tuchel didnt start him straight away but he earned the place in the team and kept it.

We will be alright like before but you got bargain and thats what hurt us more. If we have one more year option you wouldnt have signed him.

I think TT sacking nailed it for him in my opinion.
How do you think he’ll link up with Bruno? And what’s his defensive game like?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
How do you think he’ll link up with Bruno? And what’s his defensive game like?
He will link up well with shaw and rashford/garnacho in left hand side. He is intelligent in movement and will be astute tactically and carry manager s instruction to the T.

He will provide passing channel to advanced players, can attack the space if it opens in the box.

Very good one touch passer, always ticking the flow of play, can play 1-2 with bruno without any delay, he can provide good balls for bruno s, rashford s ghosting runs behind defense.

He has weakness in aerial duels. Rarely win headers. We played with two 6s mostly so how good he will be as 8 i dont know but ETH thinks he can get the best out of him and willing to spend considerable amount for him. He will be great for you in my opinion.

RatPack

This looks like the deals we normally do in the end of the transfer window when we are desperate. Overpaying and putting him on a salary he has done nothing last year to deserve.

We gave a last offer (3rd offer). We should have walked away. Do we actually have children doing the negotiations for us.

1st offer -> Chelsea : No
2nd offer :->Chelsea : No
3rd and final offer -> Chelsea : No
Chelsea : Lets discuss in meeting - You can have him if you pay what we want -> Man Utd : OK ???

Guess we now have to hope that both Bruno and Mount can adjust to playing safer, learning how to carry the ball from defense and control the pace of a game + doing more defensive work than they have in the past.

Reyoji-Utd

Good player that the manager wants to further his next step in his playing system. A bit dissapointed that we still caved in after raising our bid three times and telling the world we will walk only to come back and pay an extra 5m. We need to stop this "good man, good club" posture and be stern to our valuation and stance. Others will lap it up infront of us only to laugh at us behind that we act so naive and can still be bully in the future.

Judas

Open to offers
Sad that people are already sharpening their knives in regards to this signing. I’ve always been quite miffed by him but fully support the signing and hope he does very well.

Roosney

He will link up well with shaw and rashford/garnacho in left hand side. He is intelligent in movement and will be astute tactically and carry manager s instruction to the T.

He will provide passing channel to advanced players, can attack the space if it opens in the box.

Very good one touch passer, always ticking the flow of play, can play 1-2 with bruno without any delay, he can provide good balls for bruno s, rashford s ghosting runs behind defense.

He has weakness in aerial duels. Rarely win headers. We played with two 6s mostly so how good he will be as 8 i dont know but ETH thinks he can get the best out of him and willing to spend considerable amount for him. He will be great for you in my opinion.
Nice, thanks for the round up, I knew he was a good player but never followed or analysed his play that much.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
£60m for Mount. The world really has gone crazy.

He better come out good because if not after the likes of Sancho, Antony, Lukaku etc for big money we really will need to just bin our whole transfer department and start afresh.
Its really more like 55 million (the add-ons are near-unachievable.) They had asked for 70 million, we started at 45 million.

But there is another point which is more critical.

Timing of Mason Mount’s signing may boost what Man United can spend on transfers going forward

The Athletic point out, “Timing is important in this deal and so despite Chelsea turning down a third bid from United for Mount last week, it was in both clubs’ interests to get an agreement in place as soon as possible.”

“June 30 is the last opportunity for some clubs to enhance their accounts for the 2022-23 season through player sales and, in this era of financial fair play (FFP), it is a point of increasing relevance across European football.”

“Manchester United have the opposite problem: the reason given for their refusal to budge much beyond paying £55million for Mount is that FFP rules limit what they can spend before June 30. United posted losses of £115.5million for the 2021-22 season due to playing games behind closed doors during the pandemic and overspent their budget for signings last summer by more than £100million.”

Subsequent transfers will fall under accounts for the upcoming 2023-24 campaign, which means that United may possibly have more wiggle room with regard to how much Ten Hag can spend in the coming weeks.
Not sure Chelsea was aware of our urgency to buy before 30th June but I think looking back, Murtough did alright with it.

DavelinaJolie

Is he a good player? Yes. Does he improve the overall quality of the squad? Yes. Does he turn us into title and/or CL contenders? No.

Signing a Rice or a Kane would, in my opinion, but not Mount. A decent signing, but we need more than him.
No single midfielder in the world is going to change Utd to title contenders. We still needed to improve quality in midfield regardless of that because the floor of the team needs to be raised in terms of technical quality and playing the tactics our manager is trying to implement. Signing Rice, as much as I've grown to like him, would not put this team near the top.

Now the two biggest upgrades that can be made to improve the team will be Striker and Goalkeeper, and even then there's still some question marks about right back, CB (can Varane stay healthy and can Lindelof be reliable enough when filling in?) and defensive mid (Casemiro can't do it by himself all season long, as good as he is).

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
This looks like the deals we normally do in the end of the transfer window when we are desperate. Overpaying and putting him on a salary he has done nothing last year to deserve.

We gave a last offer (3rd offer). We should have walked away. Do we actually have children doing the negotiations for us.

Chelsea : Lets discuss in meeting - You can have him if you pay what we want -> Man Utd : OK ???

Guess we now have to hope that both Bruno and Mount can adjust to playing safer, learning how to carry the ball from defense and control the pace of a game + doing more defensive work than they have in the past.
Chelsea wanted over £60m by all accounts. Closer to £70m.

United offered in the region of £50m and ended up paying £55m with £5m in potential add ons.

Is that really such a bad negotiation?

A good comparison would be Sterling's deal to Chelsea, last year of contract, an older player who went for £50m.

It actually looks like very good negotiations, as United threatened to walk away which led to Chelsea reducing their demands.

But of course, we need to have a moan at United for everything I guess.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Some fans keep dreaming of this, thing ETH is a possession monster; when really from all indicators, he's more of a presser. More Klopp

People talk so much about English bias, but there are cases like the one for Mount in which the opposite has been true. He's a technically gifted, energetic, ball carrying, pressing midfielder who was player of the season in a champions league winning campaign and with a host of top performances for a top team and a top club in a strong league all at the age of 24. Yet for him, there is no potential of becoming a world beater or getting more refined, yet if he played in the Portuguese league or even italian league with 2 good UCL performances, people here will be raving about it.

Fans would be willing to shell 40m on a player far less proven in the Dutch league, 70m for a French League unknown and come back and complain about how money was wasted. Mount is a proven talent already. He's a really good player and can get even better and more useful. He's coming at the right age, wants to play for us and has the right mentality. The problem is fans seem to have a false perception regarding Ten Haag's football. They seem to think it's possession oriented and needs a deep lying playmaker based on very limited knowledge of watching ETH's most recent Ajax team. Yes there is an emphasis on technically skilled players ( like Mount), but the team was not as possession based as people would like to think, it's not Man City. Ajax had high possession due to their dominance of play in the league, not because they were necessarily a possession-oriented team. They won back possession quickly, but they weren't a team to play patiently. Outside of shape ( which resembles Guardiola's teams), the football and the plan of attack was similar to Liverpool's with a bit more fluidity. Heavy pressing, quick conversion into attacks and attacking down the flanks using combinations and one on ones. Not understanding this is why some had it in their heads that Bruno wouldn't work under ETH or that Rashford would struggle. Not knowing that these players fit in perfectly.

Mount covers the same bases Bernardo Silva covers for City, having more energy and speed and slightly less technique. He has the ball carrying that people want from FDJ and is also a good chance creator. We also still have Bruno, Eriksen, Casemiro and Fred. Eriksen will still play a lot of games despite Mount starting more often. He can also fill in out wide in case of injuries, a problem we had last season when we consistently shifted Bruno. We just signed a player that can cover 4 positions on the pitch effectively. People talk about depth, but signing versatile players with skills that can translate across different positions is how a team has sustainable depth.
Well said.

Real Name

Chelsea wanted over £60m by all accounts. Closer to £70m.

United offered in the region of £50m and ended up paying £55m with £5m in potential add ons.

Is that really such a bad negotiation?

A good comparison would be Sterling's deal to Chelsea, last year of contract, an older player who went for £50m.

It actually looks like very good negotiations, as United threatened to walk away which led to Chelsea reducing their demands.

But of course, we need to have a moan at United for everything I guess.
Yes, however you spin it some will just moan and moan.

Real Name

Some fans keep dreaming of this, thing ETH is a possession monster; when really from all indicators, he's more of a presser. More Klopp

People talk so much about English bias, but there are cases like the one for Mount in which the opposite has been true. He's a technically gifted, energetic, ball carrying, pressing midfielder who was player of the season in a champions league winning campaign and with a host of top performances for a top team and a top club in a strong league all at the age of 24. Yet for him, there is no potential of becoming a world beater or getting more refined, yet if he played in the Portuguese league or even italian league with 2 good UCL performances, people here will be raving about it.

Fans would be willing to shell 40m on a player far less proven in the Dutch league, 70m for a French League unknown and come back and complain about how money was wasted. Mount is a proven talent already. He's a really good player and can get even better and more useful. He's coming at the right age, wants to play for us and has the right mentality. The problem is fans seem to have a false perception regarding Ten Haag's football. They seem to think it's possession oriented and needs a deep lying playmaker based on very limited knowledge of watching ETH's most recent Ajax team. Yes there is an emphasis on technically skilled players ( like Mount), but the team was not as possession based as people would like to think, it's not Man City. Ajax had high possession due to their dominance of play in the league, not because they were necessarily a possession-oriented team. They won back possession quickly, but they weren't a team to play patiently. Outside of shape ( which resembles Guardiola's teams), the football and the plan of attack was similar to Liverpool's with a bit more fluidity. Heavy pressing, quick conversion into attacks and attacking down the flanks using combinations and one on ones. Not understanding this is why some had it in their heads that Bruno wouldn't work under ETH or that Rashford would struggle. Not knowing that these players fit in perfectly.

Mount covers the same bases Bernardo Silva covers for City, having more energy and speed and slightly less technique. He has the ball carrying that people want from FDJ and is also a good chance creator. We also still have Bruno, Eriksen, Casemiro and Fred. Eriksen will still play a lot of games despite Mount starting more often. He can also fill in out wide in case of injuries, a problem we had last season when we consistently shifted Bruno. We just signed a player that can cover 4 positions on the pitch effectively. People talk about depth, but signing versatile players with skills that can translate across different positions is how a team has sustainable depth.
This should be pinned on the top of every page here.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Chukwuemeka came through the Aston Villa academy and cost Chelsea around £15m. They bought him last summer
Yeah I wasn't claiming him to have come through at Cobham, just that he looks a good young talent they have. I didn't think he stood out when I saw him at Villa previously but he put in one or two good performances when I saw him for Chelsea.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Which is why we need to sell one, that's my point.

Casemiro, new DM, Bruno, Mount, Eriksen, Fred is fine for cover. Keeping McTominay is not, when he adds nothing of value to the side.
Sabitzer was only signed because Eriksen got a long term injury. He's back now. Mount replaces Fred and drops Eriksen to the bench. I agree that if we sell Mctominay, we'll need to bring another player in. This will leave us with Bruno, Eriksen, Mount, Casemiro, new signing and Donny? This should be enough for next season. Especially when you add youth into the mix.
We definitely need to sell one as we have two priority signings still pending. If we take 150m as reference, then we have less than 100m for goalkeeper and centre forward. I find it difficult to believe we will bring another CM in those circumstances. Fred will likely be gone and Eriksen will take his place as a squad player (it's another very interesting discussion on how valuable is Eriksen as squad player actually).

See - this is just talk about how good/effective Mount is in attacking third and on the ball. And you also mentioned you play mostly with two 6s, therefore Mount had much more freedom than he will have at United.
I'm just worried about how good he is in defensive/mid 3rd, because he will be having a lot of responsibilities there.

ants7

I admit I would have liked to see that sum of cash spent on a more critical position (DM, ST, DC), however - our 1st team is paper thin and he definitely adds options. So he is still a welcome addition.

dasty

RedCafe history at judging players:
  • Blind: lacking pace and will struggle to defend (ended up playing as LB and CB equally well)
  • Schmidfield: very balanced midfield, sorted for years to come while we're looking for Schweinsteiger/Carrick replacements (shite midfield, one of them watched tennis more than playing football)
  • Pogba: return of the prince, one of the best midfielders in the world (never actually reached that point with United)
  • Sanchez: will make us a challenger, the piano is worth it (played like a drunken midget, the piano isn't worth it)
  • Lukaku: will score loads of goals against minnows (didn't happen)
  • Ronaldo: we'll challenge for the league (club almost got disbanded because of this fecker alone)
  • Licha: too small, will struggle against tall players (sent CF 1.5 times bigger than him flying and bullied Vardy)
  • Casemiro: no longer a top midfielder, too lighweight (our most important midfielder last season only ruined by red cards)
  • Mason Mount: too expensive, nothing special (despite being unobtainable just a year ago, Ten Hag & Klopp wants him and he's won the CL)
Keep moaning.
This place also shitted on Bruno for stat padding in a vastly inferior league and some even said that they will eat their own shoe if he can get anywhere close to his stats in Portugal if he plays in PL. They never ate their own shoe though.

Real Name

RedCafe history at judging players:
  • Blind: lacking pace and will struggle to defend (ended up playing as LB and CB equally well)
  • Schmidfield: very balanced midfield, sorted for years to come while we're looking for Schweinsteiger/Carrick replacements (shite midfield, one of them watched tennis more than playing football)
  • Pogba: return of the prince, one of the best midfielders in the world (never actually reached that point with United)
  • Sanchez: will make us a challenger, the piano is worth it (played like a drunken midget, the piano isn't worth it)
  • Lukaku: will score loads of goals against minnows (didn't happen)
  • Ronaldo: we'll challenge for the league (club almost got disbanded because of this fecker alone)
  • Licha: too small, will struggle against tall players (sent CF 1.5 times bigger than him flying and bullied Vardy)
  • Casemiro: no longer a top midfielder, too lighweight (our most important midfielder last season only ruined by red cards)
  • Mason Mount: too expensive, nothing special (despite being unobtainable just a year ago, Ten Hag & Klopp wants him and he's won the CL)
Keep moaning.
Also Casemiro not being press resistant.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sad that people are already sharpening their knives in regards to this signing. I’ve always been quite miffed by him but fully support the signing and hope he does very well.
I feel the same way. I initially had mixed feelings about Mason Mount and thought he might be another Maguire. An expensive English player who does not deliver.
But we have been tracking him for some time and really do need to strengthen our midfield.
So I do trust EtH ability to develop players and now feel he will be a good addition to the squad.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Fundamentally what has changed?

We didn’t want to pay over £55M - we didn’t pay over £55M.

The add ons to take it to £60M - will if acheived - I assume winning a UCL or a title - make everyone happy & I’m sure if you all were asked in an ideal world that we can sign Mount

£55M & No title or £60M and you win the PL title

You’d take the measly £5M to get the title.

Though I see the CAF has moved on from moaning about the fee to moaning about the wages. Ugh.

Rob67

Chelsea initially wanted 70m + 10m in addons. So not sure how you can say that.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away

But we didn't pay what they wanted, we paid what we wanted. £55M.

So walking away (which we threatened to do) worked and Chelsea caved and found a compromise.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
He was a club record signing on high wages and turned out to be absolutely nothing special. Not a disaster, but extremely underwhelming. If we had signed a relatively cheap squad player then it would have been a good signing, but we didn’t. When we signed him expectations were really high.
Didn't help we signed a guy who wanted runners and cloggers 6 months after we signed him.

whitbyviking

Excellent post this.

Many examples of here based on the comments people make on other transfers, just read the Tonali discussion.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope Mount is a transformative players that make us play a much attractive football. If Mount can give us 8-10 goals with 8-10 assists then we would have a very good player. We need a striker to put those goals aways. Antony will definitely play better next season.

Son

Early signs of the numbers involved given his 1 year left we overpaid as usual. Let’s see how he fits in but can see this transfer been a bit meh…

Fox outside the box

Well said.
My 14 year old was saying he feels underwhelmed by the signing and I did agree but pointed out that I think it's largely because he's a bit boring. Boring name, boring hair, very vanilla, generic looking guy and that if he was called Mountzinho, coming from Portugal or something then bed probably immediately feel more exciting because of the mystery and unknown element.

Maguire suffers from this as well. Just a very generic, boring white dude. He's not cool in any way, shape or form and I think it's easier to be less excited or more critical.

Mason Mount is basically what fifa or fm churn out, 10 years in with generated players. He looks like a fifa regen.

If ETH is adamant he wants him, I trust him more than my own opinion tbh.

saivet

But we didn't pay what they wanted, we paid what we wanted. £55M.

So walking away (which we threatened to do) worked and Chelsea caved and found a compromise.
You can look at it both ways. Chelsea thought they could still squeeze a bit more out of United even when they said it was their last offer, and they did.

Idxomer

The add-ons are apparently only achieved if we win multiple trophies over a number of seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.