Mass shooting at Gay night club in Orlando

Scarlett Dracarys

( . Y . )
been posted already

he also said the club should have had better security. what a fecking div! must say he looked great with what looked like purple highlights in his hair. SEXY
His son had to learn how to hate from someone. I'm sure he is the root of most of the issues his son had. I saw on the news today he was suspended from school for celebrating the 9/11 attacks. How pathetic.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
In other Orlando news, a two year-old was killed by an alligator at a Disney resort while the parents watched.

Brutal stuff emanating from that city...

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
How did her parents let a 2 year old get into a situation like that?
There are lakes, ponds, lagoons all around there that are known to have gators. The family was from Nebraska so maybe they didn't realize Florida is chock full of gators (and now boas).

Why did Disney not have better safeguards when that particular lagoon next to a playground was known to have gator sightings and removals? Well...that's a fierce debate, and likely an extremely expensive one.

NotworkSte

There are lakes, ponds, lagoons all around there that are known to have gators. The family was from Nebraska so maybe they didn't realize Florida is chock full of gators (and now boas).

Why did Disney not have better safeguards when that particular lagoon next to a playground was known to have gator sightings and removals? Well...that's a fierce debate, and likely an extremely expensive one.
Ever been to Florida? You assume every body of water a foot deep has an alligator. It is Florida basic 101. If you put up signs, you'd have one every 5 feet.
Disney had a no swimming sign. That's also a pretty big hint.
You don't go in any water not secured, even then when I go to the springs you still take care.
Sadly people switch off all sense when going on holiday, and tragically this was the outcome.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

You can't wall off the entire lagoon.

Tragic situation, but there is only so much childproofing the world can do. At the end of the day, if you aren't looking over your kids 24/7, there's a small chance that they, being weak, vulnerable and stupid, are going to be killed/severely injured by something. Such is life.

MarylandMUFan

While that gone is ridiculous, there is no advantage to have a weapon like that in a close quarters shooting like a night club. Banning those guns won't help. I couple of hand guns and a shitload of ammunition causes the same amount of damage. While I would like a gun free America, it's not going to happen. Our next best option is to make it much harder to get a gun with proper licensing involved (like training, tests and serious background checks).

Carolina Red

Staff
While that gone is ridiculous, there is no advantage to have a weapon like that in a close quarters shooting like a night club. Banning those guns won't help. I couple of hand guns and a shitload of ammunition causes the same amount of damage.
Or a 12 gauge pump action. Absolutely brutal.
While I would like a gun free America, it's not going to happen. Our next best option is to make it much harder to get a gun with proper licensing involved (like training, tests and serious background checks).
I agree completely here. A serious licensing system to purchase guns and ammo, daily checks ala what Dwazza spoke of in Canada, and a magazine limit between 10 and 20 rounds are things I think could actually see happening and helping.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
While that gone is ridiculous, there is no advantage to have a weapon like that in a close quarters shooting like a night club. Banning those guns won't help. I couple of hand guns and a shitload of ammunition causes the same amount of damage. While I would like a gun free America, it's not going to happen. Our next best option is to make it much harder to get a gun with proper licensing involved (like training, tests and serious background checks).
It doesn't take much distance for an AR-15 to surpass a pistol in killing power. You think every shot was with the gun to the head?

Should we legalize grenades because they're only slightly more effective than pipe bombs?

Carolina Red

Staff
It doesn't take much distance for an AR-15 to surpass a pistol in killing power. You think every shot was with the gun to the head?

Should we legalize grenades because they're only slightly more effective than pipe bombs?
1) You don't have to get shot in the head by a pistol to die from it, nor do you have to be point blank range. Besides that fact, that isn't the point he was making.

2) Out of left field with a straw man for no reason whatsoever.

Duafc

Village Lemon

Scary. The fact that people think you need one of these for protection is so fecking absurd it's unreal. It's nothing but 'look how cool I am, I have an assault rifle.'

Not very cool when he can't even load a mag. :lol:

Take your point though.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Not very cool when he can't even load a mag. :lol:

Take your point though.
Haha, tousche. I didn't mean him though, he's demonstrating how absurd it is I think - I mean more people who say they need them for protection. Unless they go around pissing off militias then it's nothing but a thinly veiled excuse for a gadget they just love.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Haha, tousche. I didn't mean him though, he's demonstrating how absurd it is I think - I mean more people who say they need them for protection. Unless they go around pissing off militias then it's nothing but a thinly veiled excuse for a gadget they just love.
Yeah, that's the whole thing though the 2nd amendment which started as a genuinely necessary, well conceived part of the constitution has become a complete joke.

Guns are just like iPhones, cigarettes or anything else, marketed to the enth degree for profit, profit, profit with very little but tragic consequence (except for those making all the money)

It's a consumer driven hole with the thin guise of a constitutional right and need for 'self defence'.

A handgun, at most is more than anyone should ever require for anything other than sport or farming.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Ask any gun owner if they truly believe that were the Founding Fathers alive today, they would leave the 2nd exactly as it is.

Carolina Red

Staff
Ask any gun owner if they truly believe that were the Founding Fathers alive today, they would leave the 2nd exactly as it is.
I must say, it is an interesting question considering the circumstances of the time meant the average American owned the same rifle as the average soldier carried.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
So you're saying the founding fathers would actually think the general public is under-armed if anything? Tanks for everyone!

Carolina Red

Staff
So you're saying the founding fathers would actually think the general public is under-armed if anything? Tanks for everyone!
I would say that you've put words in my mouth, if anything.

Also, since you did do that, I feel obliged to point out that a tank is not an "arm", so not only did you put words in my mouth, but you did so nonsensically.

I will also add that in most states, it is perfectly legal to own a tank.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire

Also, since you did do that, I feel obliged to point out that a tank is not an "arm", so not only did you put words in my mouth, but you did so nonsensically.

Well, don't I feel silly.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

That's a ridiculous distinction and the kind of word-play Scalia et. al. relied on for all their infamous verdicts including DC v Heller.

Carolina Red

Staff
That's a ridiculous distinction and the kind of word-play Scalia et. al. relied on for all their infamous verdicts including DC v Heller.
That's not word play. You can legally own a tank in the United States. It is a vehicle, not an arm.

I point out the distinction because I was attempting to head off the next typical "putting words in people's mouths" route of bringing up things classified as ordnance.

Like I said, even Joe Biden made that mistake.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That's not word play. You can legally own a tank in the United States. It is a vehicle, not an arm.

I point out the distinction because I was attempting to head off the next typical "putting words in people's mouths" route of bringing up things classified as ordnance.

Well that's wonderful.

I just hope some clever gun-control advocate sees that devotion to text and not spirit of the law and asks for a ban on all ammunition sales (not arms and thus not covered by the 2nd amendment).

Carolina Red

Staff
Well that's wonderful.

I just hope some clever gun-control advocate sees that devotion to text and not spirit of the law and asks for a ban on all ammunition sales (not arms and thus not covered by the 2nd amendment).
They very well could. No argument there. New Jersey bans hollow point ammunition, iirc.

I've stated on here that a magazine limit would be desirable and possible as well.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Did anyone watch Real Time last night?

Col Lawrence brilliantly responded to this blonde nutter about the need for guns as self defense measure. I'll post in the Bill Maher thread if not already posted.

Carolina Red

Staff
On the flip side of things...

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/or...mbership-spike-after-orlando-shooting-n594701
LGBT Gun Rights Group Sees Membership Spike After Orlando Shooting
The Pink Pistols, a national gun club for gays and lesbians, wants their community to take up arms in self defense in the wake of a deadly shooting massacre at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

Spokesperson Gwendolyn Patton, who argues that the LGBT community needs to exercise their Second Amendment rights in order to defend themselves, says the group saw membership soar from about 1,500 members before the Orlando shooting on Sunday to 3,500 on Monday.

The group claims 45 active chapters across 33 states in the U.S. and three more in other countries. Patton says that in addition to that there are many inactive chapters that may be reopening soon.

The Pink Pistols describes itself as "an international LGBT self-defense organization" that advocates for gay people to acquire concealed carry permits. Group activities include bringing in NRA-certified instructors to help train members at shooting ranges and engaging in political activism. Pink Pistols is generally made up of gun-loving LGBT individuals, but also includes straight ally members.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal

I doubt a tank is legally termed a vehicle. Perhaps if it meets the local driving regulations and has been disarmed, but I'm sure it's still legally an armoured fighting vehicle or something similar as opposed to an ordinary vehicle.

Carolina Red

Staff
I doubt a tank is legally termed a vehicle. Perhaps if it meets the local driving regulations and has been disarmed, but I'm sure it's still legally an armoured fighting vehicle or something similar as opposed to an ordinary vehicle.
"Most Epic Off-road Utility Vehicle" is probably the legal term.