Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

caid

He was today. Stoke has been focusing on his side through the whole match and their long balls to his side was always going through him. I think he only got one good moment defensively during the second half but all in all he failed to cover his side defensively as what was expected from him.

It's true that our CBs were the bigger problem today but he can't escape the blame.
I dont think they were focusing darmian.
I think they were focusing pogba's side (and Rashfords I guess).
There isn't a huge amount of help coming to our left backs and he dealt with it pretty well mostly imo.

The first goal was a great pass out to the right that gives him no real chance.
Jones should have been busting his ass to cover the near post and cut out the cross, bailly should have stayed in front of his man and all the other little mistakes the pair made in that attack.

I thought he was quite good yesterday

marlowe78

Outside of the play he made for the goal - a very good play, I'll give him that - it was another bland, bang average performance from him. Partly at fault for the first goal (made no real attempt to prevent the cross) and was no attacking presence at all.

I started a thread about our FBs lately and this game just reinforced my thoughts. I can understand not playing Blind because of Jese's pace on that side but we have absolutely no depth in that position (I'm not counting Shaw because it's a tossup that he'll ever be the player we've hoped he would). Darmian keeps getting commended for making tackles, good positioning, etc. but he's really just doing what a PL fullback is expected to do. We should have sold him at the end of last season after he had a few good games and his value was comparably higher than what it will probably become after another season of 5/10 performances.

Red_toad

It worked time after time? You must have rated Valencia's contribution in the game of the highest order. I wasn't fussed about Stoke's attack at all in this game. They scored from a corner which has no tactical relevance, simply poor marking from Jones who keeled over. Bailly completely messed up the first goal, inexcusable defending.

Diouf managed an assist but otherwise did nothing and Shaqiri was forced to cut back and cross from way out and was otherwise ineffective in the match. If your judgement of Darmian this match was terrible then your rating of other players must have been very low but since you can't understand why Jones is getting low ratings then I can only deduct that you're watching his performance with tainted glasses.

Yes Darmian is average but his performance is stable. He presses the players, he doesn't lose the ball in bad positions and he puts in a shift. That's what he does and that's what we can expect from him. Today we got a bonus when he was the ignition to our 2nd goal when he won the ball brilliantly of Jesé and brought it forward to Mkhi. He's one of few players that Mourinho was happy with today, I can guarantee you that.

Him playing instead of Blind doesn't change the fundamentals of our team at all and to me it hardly matters who does play. I don't expect our attack to suffer one bit because our left is always weaker anyways and that's the way it is and what it's going to be. I have less faith in Shaw who has shown very little promise since his injury.
Every time he got the ball, bar once when he was forced to run with the ball as couldn't pass it sideways or backward leading to the goal. He was pressured by Stoke and he struggled. Go back & watch the game again. He was the obvious weakness that had been identified. He was very poor in the Stoke game.

WhoDaGOAT

I don't think he's going to be with us for the long term. Thought he looked way off the pace today. Can't see what he brings to the team.
He won a lot of tackles and made a fair amount of interceptions. Saved Pereira from an own goal too.

CallyRed

For the love of god, why doesn't he shave that monstrosity off his face.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
Darmian and his triangles is the worst facial hair on a human ever. I feel like he does shave them but they grow back instantly or something.

stevoc

I don't think he's going to be with us for the long term. Thought he looked way off the pace today. Can't see what he brings to the team.
He quite often does if he can't offer much going forward against the likes of Burton then he never will. It just isn't part of his game.

Devil may care

Dyer had a bit of joy against him early on but Darmian soon started to read him and dealt with the threat.

Kostov

He won a lot of tackles and made a fair amount of interceptions. Saved Pereira from an own goal too.
Saved how? By kicking the ball off his hands and assisting the goalscorer? Yeah, saved him alright.

I don't see it with this guy, never have, never will. That ''clearance'' he made after Joel flopped and before we conceded describes his way of playing perfectly. Guthless! That Dyer fella will probably have more tough time against FBs from the Championship.

kr0nix

Saved how? By kicking the ball off his hands and assisting the goalscorer? Yeah, saved him alright.

I don't see it with this guy, never have, never will. That ''clearance'' he made after Joel flopped and before we conceded describes his way of playing perfectly. Guthless! That Dyer fella will probably have more tough time against FBs from the Championship.
Well that's nonsense. Here you'll notice that out of all of our players, only Darmian and Lindelof are actually contesting for the ball on this play. No one tracks the first man which leaves him with a free header against the bar. Then Joel decides to appeal for offside for some reason before making a complete hash of a fairly straightforward collection. Darmian initially blocks it on the line but he's impeded in clearing it by both Joel and the Burton player that are right in front of him.

The responsibility for conceding that goal is mainly on Joel (and partly Smalling).

Kostov

Well that's nonsense. Here you'll notice that out of all of our players, only Darmian and Lindelof are actually contesting for the ball on this play. No one tracks the first man which leaves him with a free header against the bar. Then Joel decides to appeal for offside for some reason before making a complete hash of a fairly straightforward collection. Darmian initially blocks it on the line but he's impeded in clearing it by both Joel and the Burton player that are right in front of him.

The responsibility for conceding that goal is mainly on Joel (and partly Smalling).

Well firstly it's not nonsense, Joel made a mistake but he finally was going to catch the ball in my opinion when Darmian cleared it pathetically. Darmian made a clearance that didn't even leave the box, it went straight into a Burton attacker few meters from the goal. How can you absolve a defender from any blame when he does such a poor clearance?

Joel flopped and made a mistake, he is a kid and i will forgive him for that, Darmian on the other hand what's his excuse?

stevoc

Only in the Darmian thread would a defender hitting the ball right to an opposition player in the box and giving away a goal be painted as a positive.

Expectations for him are really low.

Rossa

My biggest gripe with him is that he was offered acres of space to run into yesterday, and I can't remember he did that once. He is so static the second he crosses the half way line. He's quite good defensively, a little slow on the first two or three yards, but positionally he is good.

witchtrials

I don't think there are any football issues that exercise me as much as the Darmian facial hair situation. Just shave it off FFS it's an atrocity.

el3mel

You can't be a modern full back without being able to attack a bit, or at least being able to cross the ball. He's a squad player at best.

kr0nix

Well firstly it's not nonsense, Joel made a mistake but he finally was going to catch the ball in my opinion when Darmian cleared it pathetically. Darmian made a clearance that didn't even leave the box, it went straight into a Burton attacker few meters from the goal. How can you absolve a defender from any blame when he does such a poor clearance?

Joel flopped and made a mistake, he is a kid and i will forgive him for that, Darmian on the other hand what's his excuse?
I disagree, I think that ball is likely going over the line without Darmian standing there. That's not to say that he covered himself in glory. I just think that holding him responsible for things that aren't his fault seems to be a recurring theme amongst the more popular scapegoats in our squad (Lingard, Fellaini, Blind).

WhoDaGOAT

Eh, from crossing the line after a pathetic fumble. The clearance was fine. He cleared it sideways. Dyer still had a lot of work to do and finished it very well.

Kostov

I disagree, I think that ball is likely going over the line without Darmian standing there. That's not to say that he covered himself in glory. I just think that holding him responsible for things that aren't his fault seems to be a recurring theme amongst the more popular scapegoats in our squad (Lingard, Fellaini, Blind).
Look I don't like Darmian and you will find occasions that i am harsh on him, but this is not one. And it's really not his first time, i understand he's not good enough to be first choice and will never be, but still it shouldn't stop us from criticizing.

Kostov

Eh, from crossing the line after a pathetic fumble. The clearance was fine. He cleared it sideways. Dyer still had a lot of work to do and finished it very well.
Are you serious ? If you are i leave it here, there's no point and we have very different views on a good clearance.

stevoc

It wasn't he could have put it out for a corner or booted it literally anywhere but right at the unmarked opposition player in his teams box. Now it's not the worst mistake ever, it happens he was trying to clear it in a panic fair enough. But that doesn't absolve him from criticism completely for the mistake.

WhoDaGOAT

It wasn't he could have put it out for a corner or booted it literally anywhere but right at the unmarked opposition player in his teams box. Now it's not the worst mistake ever, it happens he was trying to clear it in a panic fair enough. But that doesn't absolve him from criticism completely for the mistake.
It's not a mistake. He prevented a mistake. I don't think Messi could put the ball out for a corner without scoring an own goal from that angle. Keepers and defenders push the ball into that area all the time after saving a shot or making a headed clearance from a cross. He was unfortunate that there just happened to be a player in there at that time. It's not like it's a tap-in from 6 yards. He controls it and rifles it into the corner from a fairly tight angle. Great finish. One of the many players looking on could have tried to get back and pick up some of the unmarked Burton players instead of looking on.

stevoc

It's not a mistake. He prevented a mistake. I don't think Messi could put the ball out for a corner without scoring an own goal from that angle. Keepers and defenders push the ball into that area all the time after saving a shot or making a headed clearance from a cross. He was unfortunate that there just happened to be a player in there at that time. It's not like it's a tap-in from 6 yards. He controls it and rifles it into the corner from a fairly tight angle. Great finish. One of the many players looking on could have tried to get back and pick up some of the unmarked Burton players instead of looking on.

Jesus it is a mistake mate, he could have booted it anywhere but he picked out the only unmarked opposition player in the box. And he doesn't need to be Messi to put it out for a corner, boot it out for a throw, boot it up the pitch or just boot it anywhere but right at the guy standing unmarked ready to shoot.

Now as i said it happens, i'm not going to crucify the guy for a mistake under pressure that didn't cost us anything in the end. But i'm just pointing it out because it can't be used as a fecking positive to praise him for thats ridiculous.

WhoDaGOAT

Jesus it is a mistake mate, he could have booted it anywhere but he picked out the only unmarked opposition player in the box. And he doesn't need to be Messi to put it out for a corner, boot it out for a throw, boot it up the pitch or just boot it anywhere but right at the guy standing unmarked ready to shoot.

Now as i said it happens, i'm not going to crucify the guy for a mistake under pressure that didn't cost us anything in the end. But i'm just pointing it out because it can't be used as a fecking positive to praise him for thats ridiculous.
No, let's not boot it anywhere. Boot it straight and it's either an own goal or goes in off their player. And a corner is impossible from that angle, which I've already said. He could only direct it one way. Do you think he said to himself "oh look, a Burton player! I'll give it to him"?

He could maybe have sent it as far as out of touch for a throw-in, but he literally had 2 seconds at max to react. It was unfortunate.

Of course it can. He saved a young lad the embarrassment of conceding an own goal. Conceding like that is bad enough, let alone scoring an own goal. That would have only shattered his confidence further.

redpatron

No, let's not boot it anywhere. Boot it straight and it's either an own goal or goes in off their player. And a corner is impossible from that angle, which I've already said. He could only direct it one way. Do you think he said to himself "oh look, a Burton player! I'll give it to him"?

He could maybe have sent it as far as out of touch for a throw-in, but he literally had 2 seconds at max to react. It was unfortunate.

Of course it can. He saved a young lad the embarrassment of conceding an own goal. Conceding like that is bad enough, let alone scoring an own goal. That would have only shattered his confidence further.
if he tried full power, he would of shattered joel face with the continued upward kicking motion. darmian knew what he was doing, he saved the kid the embarrassment and his health.

stevoc

Or boot it any of the other thousands of directions to his right that wouldn't have resulted in setting up an unmarked burton player for a goal. He wasn't limited to hitting it straight or to the opposition player.

As i said earlier only in the Darmian thread would something like this be painted as a positive. Its was a mistake, an unfortunate mistake but still a mistake end of story.

And a corner is impossible from that angle, which I've already said
Its not impossible mate, difficult yes, unlikely perhaps but not impossible. Of course booting it up the pitch or out for a throw would have been much, much easier.

WhoDaGOAT

Or boot it any of the other thousands of directions to his right that wouldn't have resulted in setting up an unmarked burton player for a goal. He wasn't limited to hitting it straight or to the opposition player.

As i said earlier only in the Darmian thread would something like this be painted as a positive. Its was a mistake, an unfortunate mistake but still a mistake end of story.

Its not impossible mate, difficult yes, unlikely perhaps but not impossible. Of course booting it up the pitch or out for a throw would have been much, much easier.
You can keep quoting me and I can keep telling you that you're wrong. It's up to you.

Your story changes a little every time. We've evolved from a definite corner to unlikely, and now apparently we have thousands of possibilities. Cool story.

Akshay

Staff
You can keep quoting me and I can keep telling you that you're wrong. It's up to you.

Your story changes a little every time. We've evolved from a definite corner to unlikely, and now apparently we have thousands of possibilities. Cool story.
It was a poor clearance. Doesn't mean he's shit, doesn't mean he should be sold, but it was a mistake and it led directly to the goal.

WhoDaGOAT

It was a poor clearance. Doesn't mean he's shit, doesn't mean he should be sold, but it was a mistake and it led directly to the goal.
I disagree. Stopping a mistake from occurring shouldn't be ridiculed. If he's not on the post, it's an own goal.

Steven Seagull

Don't think he had much choice where he was poking the ball to. Darmian was most likely thinking more about the GK and other attacker steaming into him on the line and just gave it a prod. He hasn't got time to swing his boot at it to get any distance on the clearance.

stevoc

Haha great argument mate, it was a mistake accept it.

Eh not really mate i never said it was a definite corner, i said he could have put it out for a corner as in it was a possibility which it was.
It wasn't he could have put it out for a corner

WhoDaGOAT

Haha great argument mate, it was a mistake accept it.

Eh not really mate i never said it was a definite corner, i said he could have put it out for a corner as in it was a possibility which it was.
It wasn't. Heroic. Keep quoting and you'll find the same reply. Up to you.

Your original argument was that he should have put it out for a corner, which is near impossible. You then changed your story to a thousand possibilities to cover all angles.

Over to you.

stevoc

It wasn't. Heroic. Keep quoting and you'll find the same reply. Up to you.
Darmian is many things heroic is most definitely not one of them.

Your original argument was that he should have put it out for a corner, which is near impossible. You then changed your story to a thousand possibilities to cover all angles.

Over to you.
If i said ''he should have put it out for a corner'' then quote me. But you know that i didn't, i haven't changed my story so do us both a favour and stop talking shit mate.

WhoDaGOAT

Darmian is many things heroic is most definitely not one of them.

If i said ''he should have put it out for a corner'' then quote me. But you know that i didn't, i haven't changed my story so do us both a favour and stop talking shit mate.
A bigger hero than you or I.

Which you then backtracked on and changed to thousands of other possibilities. The thousands is enough to tell me you simply don't like Darmian.

Keep them coming, I've got a lifetime. And you've been already been told this, so I don't know why you're continuing your tirade. My stance isn't going to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.