Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

A bigger hero than you or I.

Which you then backtracked on and changed to thousands of other possibilities. The thousands is enough to tell me you simply don't like Darmian.

Keep them coming, I've got a lifetime. And you've been already been told this, so I don't know why you're continuing your tirade. My stance isn't going to change.
Hero, tirade haha, jesus fecking christ mate give over. Your posts on Darmian are weird and cringeworthy.

Well firstly it's not nonsense, Joel made a mistake but he finally was going to catch the ball in my opinion when Darmian cleared it pathetically. Darmian made a clearance that didn't even leave the box, it went straight into a Burton attacker few meters from the goal. How can you absolve a defender from any blame when he does such a poor clearance?

Joel flopped and made a mistake, he is a kid and i will forgive him for that, Darmian on the other hand what's his excuse?
That goal has absolutely nothing to do with Darmian. Its a quick stab clearance which is exactly what he needed to do. No defender in the world hesitates there with an attacking player two feet away.

ti vu

Well firstly it's not nonsense, Joel made a mistake but he finally was going to catch the ball in my opinion when Darmian cleared it pathetically. Darmian made a clearance that didn't even leave the box, it went straight into a Burton attacker few meters from the goal. How can you absolve a defender from any blame when he does such a poor clearance?

Joel flopped and made a mistake, he is a kid and i will forgive him for that, Darmian on the other hand what's his excuse?
I am not defending it's a bad clearance. However, consider the context that the game was long won. Trying a desperate strong clearance would potentially earn/cause an injury given Joel was too close to Darmian swing range and the Burton player also jumped in, trying to block the ball. This clean sheet would not be worth it for the potential injury.

If you're judging a conceded goal, you have to look at the whole picture, which come from offside trap to lose the mark and Joel mistake Darmian poor clearance. Consenquencely, it's tougher down the line given how more of our players just didn't bother once the initial offside trail was broken. Burton just outnumbered our leftover of defense unit in that consequence of events.

Kostov

That goal has absolutely nothing to do with Darmian. Its a quick stab clearance which is exactly what he needed to do. No defender in the world hesitates there with an attacking player two feet away.
While i said it from the first post on this matter, Joel flopped a simple ball recovery and it was mainly his fault, but how can that kind of miscommunication and all the rumbling both Darmian and Joel did prior to the goal absolve Darmian from any blame? It was a quick stab clearance that barely went 3m away from the goal line, straight into an opposition player, that's one aspect of it. You can make a case also that Joel almost caught the ball before Darmian kicked it away. It was poor defending however you look at it.
I am not defending it's a bad clearance. However, consider the context that the game was long won. Trying a desperate strong clearance would potentially earn/cause an injury given Joel was too close to Darmian swing range and the Burton player also jumped in, trying to block the ball. This clean sheet would not be worth it for the potential injury.

If you're judging a conceded goal, you have to look at the whole picture, which come from offside trap to lose the mark and Joel mistake Darmian poor clearance. Consenquencely, it's tougher down the line given how more of our players just didn't bother once the initial offside trail was broken. Burton just outnumbered our leftover of defense unit in that consequence of events.
I get what you are saying, and while you have a point i really don't care if potentially they injure themselves while they serve us with that kind of pathetic defending. Come on mate, we've seen the likes of Vidic, Rio even Jones/Rafael recently, put their heads into opposition studs to clear the ball, now we are trying to find excuses for a cock-up they shouldn't be doing against Burton. Other point about Darmian, it's not the first time he's done those kind of clearances, it's just he's been punished this time. If Shaw or Jones did that piece of defending, they would have been slaughtered here.

While i said it from the first post on this matter, Joel flopped a simple ball recovery and it was mainly his fault, but how can that kind of miscommunication and all the rumbling both Darmian and Joel did prior to the goal absolve Darmian from any blame? It was a quick stab clearance that barely went 3m away from the goal line, straight into an opposition player, that's one aspect of it. You can make a case also that Joel almost caught the ball before Darmian kicked it away. It was poor defending however you look at it.
There was no alternative. There was no time to do anything other than a stab clearance due to a player right by him, no defender hesitates in that position. He actually did a good thing by aiming it to the side instead of in front of goal. Nothing he could have done differently there.

Kostov

There was no alternative. There was no time to do anything other than a stab clearance due to a player right by him, no defender hesitates in that position. He actually did a good thing by aiming it to the side instead of in front of goal. Nothing he could have done differently there.
There were other alternatives. One which they could have communicated better and Darmian lets Joel collect the ball. Other alternatives is, he does a solid clearance and hits the ball into touch. Darmian's clearance was so weak, that Burton player controlled it with a simple touch. I will reiterate, if that was Jones/Smalling/Shaw they would have been slaughtered here. But no Darmian and his Italian background of tactical and smart defending, evaluated the situation in a split second and decided i will boot it 2 meters wide, with a weak clearance so i don't injure my mate Joel and assist a goal for Burton. Yeap there were no other alternatives.

izec

Personally think he is better on the right than on the left and also is better as a wingback than fullback. I dont think he is that clueless offensively as a lot of people think, he just lacks the confidence or maybe instructions to bomb forward and cross, shoot and go to the byline. He tends to just stay defensively as a fullback while as a wingback does more offensively. I would like to see him going forward more often and build up confidence, i think he has more potential in him. His first few games for Italy he was bombing forward all the time and causing some havoc on the right. He was also more offensive at Torino, but changed his offensive game here for some unknown reason

Sylar

Am I remembering wrong, but didnt he look decent for a game or two for Italy in their wingback position in the last Euros?
I agree, think hes better on the right, as he doesnt have to cut back and seems more natural as he can use his right foot.

stevoc

Nice bit of play to get into the box, shame he didn't score. Other than that just passed it right back to whoever gave him the ball. Pointless as a wingback.

Liverpool 0:0 Man Utd

Minimalist

I'd hardly say he's 'dealing' with Salah or anyone else that faces him.

I'm fecking baffled at why Blind doesn't start every big game. Especially when Mourinho does this 'park the bus' sitting deep number each time.

Silas

I'd hardly say he's 'dealing' with Salah or anyone else that faces him.

I'm fecking baffled at why Blind doesn't start every big game. Especially when Mourinho does this 'park the bus' sitting deep number each time.
Yeah I don't see how people have got the idea that he's solid defensively. Doesn't often fill me with confidence.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
This guy should get some award for playing for United with so little talent. He is one of the most pointless players I ever seen. That kick one minute ago summed him up. He is just there to make up the numbers in defence.

Our defenders have been criticised for years for poor passing, and we have a fullback who is avoiding any contact with the ball. Embaraasing stuff.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
He's been limping for 10 minutes.

Whatever you say about him, Salah barely did anything today. One half decent turn and that's it.

They've looked dangerous without really threatening today.

Roboc7

When we have the ball we are playing with ten men, he is nowhere near good enough.

It's shocking we haven't actually got a competent left back in the squad.

Home&Away

Why the hate towards him? Liverpool didn't score, he kept their best or 2nd best player relatively at bay & arguably did what the rest of the team was doing which was not to attack.

People just want to blame the 0-0 on him when he should be praised because it was clear as day that this was what the manager was playing for.

acnumber9

He's absolutely garbage. Looks scared of the ball.
Can't wait to get rid of it anytime the ball is anywhere near him. Through a combination of not wanting the ball and being nowhere near fit enough to play at that level. It's inexcusable for a player that barely passes the halfway line to be so knackered by 70 minutes every time he plays.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Why the hate towards him? Liverpool didn't score, he kept their best or 2nd best player relatively at bay & arguably did what the rest of the team was doing which was not to attack.

People just want to blame the 0-0 on him when he should be praised because it was clear as day that this was what the manager was playing for.
People venting and don't know how to focus their emotions. There was nothing to fault Darmian about but it will never matter. Even against Stoke he got shit when he was largely responsible for us not losing that match.

BlahRules

Jose would keep players like Darmian for all the big games. I don't see how he is a good defender. He has given far too much space to Saleh and Chamberlain.

Devil may care

Struggled for quite a chunk of the game and was awful on the ball, looked like he should have been the first one off as he was clearly fatigued.

el3mel

This guy is the worst fullback I have ever seen in my life. Him starting for Italy proves this Italy side has something wrong with it.

We should get rid of him in summer.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
People venting and don't know how to focus their emotions. There was nothing to fault Darmian about but it will never matter. Even against Stoke he got shit when he was largely responsible for us not losing that match.
Oh come on, he didn't really have a grip on Salah, and Chamberlain was walking past him at the end. That combined with zero on ball quality means there is plenty to fault with him.

Minimalist

He's an average player with nothing you could point at in terms of a strength. Playing him against difficult opponents is bizarre to me.

Home&Away

Yup he was bought in to the first team for a reason & he fulfilled that reason. People acting like Valencia was playing up & down the right hand side today.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He follows instructions to a tee and rarely lets Jose down in big games, you can see why he loves him and plays him when their important threat is on that flank.

Martial and Rasfhord themselves got on the ball no more than twice how does anyone expect Darmian to give anything going forward in this game?

Home&Away

Oh come on, he didn't really have a grip on Salah, and Chamberlain was walking past him at the end. That combined with zero on ball quality means there is plenty to fault with him.
But no goal - defending isn't just about snatching the ball off someone's feet - very rarely did any players make an inward run in behind the defence to face down on goal ( the types of cuts & runs martial makes).

The guys frustrating to watch when we are trying to attack and he can do absolutely nothing - but when we have 9 players in our own half the whole match & not let a goal go through whilst Liverpools best forward plays from the right - I find this targeting of anger & disappointment really hard to understand.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
A fresh Ox went easily past Darmian who got a cramp a minute earlier?

He did have a grip on Salah,the team as a whole didn't have much problems defending. Biggest problem was that De Gea save which was the result of Lukaku slouching behind after a corner clearance.

The White Pele

Tired badly in the second half (not for the first time) and was a big worry towards the end of the match. Defensively did ok but not brave enough in possession.

NinjaFletch

Weird, I thought he was great today.
I think he had a really, really odd performance.

Liverpool didn't cause many problems down his side, and Salah was relatively quiet apart from one turn, but he also looked really shaky, was hoofing the ball aimlessly, and generally looked a bit shit.

I don't think he had a good game, but I can see how others might see that differently.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Late in the 2nd half, he played a pass to Rashford on the left, and it was clear as day Rashford was going to knock it on back to him for him to run on to, but instead Darmian just turned and ran back to his own half whilst Rashford looked on bemusedly. That one moment epitomised him entirely. I can't remember a less attacking fullback at this level. Even if Mourinho supposedly wants one of his fullbacks to be more defensive, surely you can take a risk now and again when space opens up to attack, and at that moment they were caught short with acres of space for Darmian to chase Rashford's one-two. Maddening. It looks like Rashford gave him a bollocking for not following up as well.

He made two or three good challenges, but he looks terrified of being anywhere near the ball.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Think his defending is overrated, but Jose knows better than me. Didn't see him do anything Blind couldn't do today and Blind offers so much more going forward.

Number32

You mean for the draw? Stoke's first goal was his fault.
He looks like a player who wants to be sold since the summer, he only gave 40% of his energy in this game.
He used to run anywhere on the flank, chasing the ball but now he afraid to run in the opponent's half

Ace of Spades

He was did his job of stopping Salah by any means necessary, but that meant again he never attacked and barely tried to play a pass or keep the ball and try anything positive.

This would be fine in a one off, but this is a normal performance for Darmian.

Status
Not open for further replies.