Matteo Darmian | LVG confirms he's on his way here for a medical

Status
Not open for further replies.

C'est Moi Cantona

Well apparently we have been in talks with him for 4 months. All the other RB links came from english journalists who had no clue about Darmian so were probably talking crap
Fair enough, never believed we were seriously after Clyne, the Fabhino rumor died very quickly, and whilst I'm sure we would have taken Coleman, Everton would have wanted a Fellaini beating fee which would have been ridiculous, sure Alves we a target though.

Happy enough with Darmian, seems to tick all the boxes, only slight reservation is how he'll settle.

Stan Jefferson

This was an article from 2nd July. I just posted it here 'cos this was a different opinion about Darmian than the ones we have seen from other sources.

I'm just hoping this is just bs.
The Express quoting goal.com, all we need now is the daily star getting in on it and we've hit the jackpot.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Still finding it hard to believe that we are pulling this off.We are actually buying a good solid international rather than overpaying on an overrated British player ,what a time to be alive.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
So where does he fall on the RB list LvG maybe had?

Alves, Coleman, Darmian?

Alves, Fabhino, Coleman, Darmian.

Or were we after just him all along?
If we wanted Fabinho and Coleman ahead of him we'd have got them. It's not like Monaco and Everton would have been able to resist absurd bids we'd inevitably put if we were intent on getting these particular targets.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Examples of poor defending by Darmian v Bilbao

I am just hoping this is not a representation of genuine flaws in his game, anyone can look a poor defender on the basis of well selected clips.. but I definitely think from what I have seen that he will definitely be an asset going forwards, his defending I am not too sure on.. have to watch him in action more.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Still finding it hard to believe that we are pulling this off.We are actually buying a good solid international rather than overpaying on an overrated British player ,what a time to be alive.
Agreed. I was afraid we were going to spend the whole summer pointlessly chasing Coleman.

C'est Moi Cantona

If we wanted Fabinho and Coleman ahead of him we'd have got them. It's not like Monaco and Everton would have been able to resist absurd bids we'd inevitably put if we were intent on getting these particular targets.
Yes I understand that, not sure about Fabhino, but the Coleman one came and went very quickly, it could well be that Everton said £25 m + or no chance, and we just walked away even though we could have afforded him.

We might have alot to spend but we still need to get value, and so far we have.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
I heard that 48k for Darmian is after tax.
Nah initial reports were he'd be getting around 27k which'd be after tax and Serie A players on the whole don't command high wages.

According to Squawka, Clyne created 22 chances in the league last season compared to 39 for Darmian. Darmian played two fewer games. Their other starts are fairly neck and neck.

Mali_Zeus

The man's an absolute bell end.

Just checked his recent United tweets

This latest one about will he be first choice right back in 2 years time
Schneiderlin apparently prefers Arsenal
Ramos wants new Madrid contract
Nani will earn more in 1 year than we're getting as a fee.

Ruck off you gimp
I dont know what's his problem. Maybe his mum didnt love him enough. In any case his need to have a pop at United every time he has a tweet about us is beyond pathetic.

Kounan

I am just hoping this is not a representation of genuine flaws in his game, anyone can look a poor defender on the basis of well selected clips.. but I definitely think from what I have seen that he will definitely be an asset going forwards, his defending I am not too sure on.. have to watch him in action more.
In the first gif, did he get the man? I am trying to asses his speed?

prath92

The first isn't bad defending. The opponent wrong foots him and darts past him. If you see any top full back he is going to have this done to him often.

Second is bad defending but to be fair no one is saying he is the Philip lahm of RB. All they say is that he is a good RB

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

to be fair in the first action he won the ball back cleanly(was called a foul).....
2:43

and in the second he cant do much , he cant follow the player as he needs to hold the line...it was poor positioning from other 2 defenders.

Gerald G

We're not even sure if Shaw is back to being fit enough to sustain one season at United level.

Can you guarantee Smalling will stay fit so we won't have to play Jones every week and risk him too ?
That's not my point. Shaw is a better LB than Rojo and even though he was injured a lot last season it showed. My team clearly indicates the defence if everyone is fit.

As for Smalling no I can't guarantee he will stay fit but I can't guarantee any other player will stay fit during the season. Plus I have no problem playing Jones/Rojo in defence to partner Ramos or Otamendi when Smalling is injured if that was the case.

thelemon

He wasn't as terrible as people are making him out to be, give him another season.
Are we talking about Shaw here? No one is making him out to be terrible, not by a long way. I think everyone understands that he was good when he played but held back by fitness.

Also, imagine going for Coleman :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think I'd cry.

hbgreg

First one he caught his man, the second one he has to hold the line. We need better examples.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Just read alot of comments on a Torino forum(with the help of google translate), they are all very fond of him and wish him all the best going here, seems like he is down to earth guy, hard worker and intelligent person, some even said they would now support Utd as a second team because of him.

If he was a fan favourite at Torino, i'm sure he will also be that here.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Just read alot of comments on a Torino forum(with the help of google translate), they are all very fond of him and wish him all the best going here, seems like he is down to earth guy, hard worker and intelligent person, some even said they would now support Utd as a second team because of him.

If he was a fan favourite at Torino, i'm sure he will also be that here.
:D

Seriously, it's nice to hear he is so well thought of by the fans. Humble, intelligent, hardworking and has some talent - what more can you ask for?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
There's about 1 million pizza expresses in Manchester and about 2 million Pizza Huts. He will be fecking sound.
Oh yeah, Jordan the 16 year old from Hulme with a skinhead and acne, who's waiting on Pizza Hut tables to support his pregnant teen girlfriend, will be loads of help.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Oh yeah, Jordan the 16 year old from Hulme with a skinhead and acne, who's waiting on Pizza Hut tables to support his pregnant teen girlfriend, will be loads of help.
Show's how little you know what people look like in Hulme :p

YouOnlyLiveTwice

:D

Seriously, it's nice to hear he is so well thought of by the fans. Humble, intelligent, hardworking and has some talent - what more can you ask for?
Nothing really, i'd like to think him and Herrera would be good friends (:drool:), i just don't know how good Darmian is at English.

Brightonian

He wasn't as terrible as people are making him out to be, give him another season.
He wasn't terrible at all. He was good whenever he played. And the majority of his injury time was down to contact injuries from tackles, so it's not even as if he's got some kind of chronic injury we need to worry about.

Christ this place is frustrating sometimes. (Not your post, to be clear - the post (and other similar) you were responding to.)

Brightonian

Ah damn, I was hoping we'd sign someone who'd literally never been beaten or made a mistake.

Of course anyone can look a poor defender based on a couple of clips. They don't even have to be 'well selected'. I mean, you could obviously find two gifs of errors from any player. I could almost certainly find at least ten of Messi being easily dispossessed or giving the ball away for no reason. You admit you haven't watched that much of him, so what exactly is the point of your post?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There's no chance of us signing Ramos AND Otamendi. Rojo over Shaw? Behave.

Darmian-Ramos-Smalling-Shaw

That would be good enough for me.
Strange I actually thought Rojo impressed me more, but I probably need a fully fit season from Shaw to judge it better.

Sereques

Ah damn, I was hoping we'd sign someone who'd literally never been beaten or made a mistake.

Of course anyone can look a poor defender based on a couple of clips. They don't even have to be 'well selected'. I mean, you could obviously find two gifs of errors from any player. I could almost certainly find at least ten of Messi being easily dispossessed or giving the ball away for no reason. You admit you haven't watched that much of him, so what exactly is the point of your post?
Like he said, he hoping the "gifs" are not the representation of his errors.

Although, the gifs are not enough evidence to consider someone as "error prone"

Anyway, no matter the transfer, every player comes with a risk. You can sign the best defender in the world and he can fail to settle. Evra and Vidic looked like bad buys in their first 6 months they both went on to be one of the best transfers we've made till date. Am hoping he does as well. The premier league is a different story, some players struggle and some take to it as if it was made for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.