Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I'm not sure about that. For a player of his age its between us and Barcelona as the biggest clubs he watched growing up. His current defensive partner and his club CEO are ex players, and his coach in the youth teams was Jaap Stam. We should be right up there, especially as we're one of the most in form teams in Europe right now.
He's actually read both Rio and Vidic's (auto)biographies when he was trying to improve his English (also Terry's and Bobby Moore's though)

He's a big fan of English football and its culture, far more so than La Liga (which he's said he doesn't particularly watch). From what he's said about it, he seems to admire British/Prem defenders the most

What does Ajax fans think of him? Compared to other talents from the dutch league?

What'd be his price? Would he be ready to play for a team like United from the beginning or would he need some easing in? Would be shrute business to have a safe central defender for the next 10 years.
there is no comparison tbh. Even with talents that I might have ranked equally highly in terms of talent / potential (take a Nouri before his incident for example), I've never seen a talent be this complete and developed at such a young age before. So while you might compare talents to him, as a player at just 19 he's miles above anyone I've ever seen. He's better than Sanchez, Alderweireld, and even Vertonghen were at Ajax and he hasn't turned 20 yet. He would start immediately next season

sam147

It makes too much sense for United to sign him so it wont happen. If we sign him for 100m it is a bargain. He is guaranteed world class and would be here for 12+ years. A club like Juventus or Barcelona will sign him while United are sending scouts to watch the current best CB in the world Koulibaly. The clubs run like a joke.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It makes too much sense for United to sign him so it wont happen. If we sign him for 100m it is a bargain. He is guaranteed world class and would be here for 12+ years. A club like Juventus or Barcelona will sign him while United are sending scouts to watch the current best CB in the world Koulibaly. The clubs run like a joke.
Why would going after the current best defender in the world make us a ‘joke’?

sam147

Why would going after the current best defender in the world make us a ‘joke’?
Sorry for the confusion. I meant sending scouts to scout the current best CB in the world shows what a joke we are. I would love for us to sign Koulibaly.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I think Lindelof has done really good on the left side, if we want to continue developing him there, De Ligt might be a good signing. He plays on the right exclusively right? How is he with the ball at his feet and in the air?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think Lindelof has done really good on the left side, if we want to continue developing him there, De Ligt might be a good signing. He plays on the right exclusively right? How is he with the ball at his feet and in the air?
Pretty sure somebody was saying that De Ligt has played on both sides depending on who his partner is, and it doesn't seem to matter too much to his performance.

ROFLUTION

Biggest talent in years. Bigger than Frenkie. In fact, i can't really remember a talent who i was so sure of to succeed in the absolute top. I think i have to go back to the Sneijder/Robben days for that. Frenkie went for 86mio euro's. Matthijs won't go for less than that i guess. But that all depends of which deep pocket clubs want him. If there are a few, i won't be surprised if he goes for over 100mio euro's (which -i believe- is still going to look like a bargain in a few years).
Cheers. So besides being an excellent talent, do you think he is ready to play for a club like Man Utd in his current state?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
United is still one of the biggest 3 clubs in the world. 5 crappy years does next to nothing to damage that. In that horrific period we’ve still won 3 trophies, including a continental one.

Frankly of the biggest clubs in the world, where better for a young player to go right now? Look at the blend of academy products and players signed very young, that are currently making not only match day squads, but the starting XI. Shaw, Lindelof, Dalot, Pogba, Pereira, McTominay, Lingard, Rashford, Martial. Players like De Gea, Smalling and Jones were signed as teenagers; and Garner, Gomes, Chong, and Greenwood are knocking on the door and making match day squads.

Man Utd should be considered a top destination for any young player right now. And as a decision maker at OT I wouldn’t hesitate to drop 200m (in structured deals including many clauses to get to those numbers) on De Ligt and Sancho.

Womp

idiot
This talk of us being an attractive proposition as we can offer a first team spot is nonsense. No-one is going to spend the money it is going to cost to sign this player without the intention of making him a mainstay in their defence.

On top of that, there is little to no credible links we are even looking at him and all top teams will be interested in him. Almost no chance we sign him imo.

ROFLUTION

If they're good enough, they're old enough.
Sure. And today is tuesday. But doesnt answer my question at all, which was whether he's good enough at current level or still just a huge talent. He will come up against tough physique as Wood/Barnes or Lukaku types, so not sure great anticipation is enough in itself. Havent ever watched De Ligt, so thats why Im asking

tieunhilang

Sure. And today is tuesday. But doesnt answer my question at all, which was whether he's good enough at current level or still just a huge talent. He will come up against tough physique as Wood/Barnes or Lukaku types, so not sure great anticipation is enough in itself. Havent ever watched De Ligt, so thats why Im asking
Sorry. I mistook your question as whether he is too young to handle the pressure at Manchester United. Regarding his talent, I think the price tag speaks for itself. If just sticking a hude physical battering ram is enough to make him struggle, I think multiple low level teams would have tried it already. A player's quality comes from his techniques, experience and how he uses his head. We got Lukaku, Pogba, and Fellaini in our lineup at multiple points, yet we rarely bully defense especially from set-pieces like we have hoped. Because physicality is nothing against a player with genuine quality.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Sure. And today is tuesday. But doesnt answer my question at all, which was whether he's good enough at current level or still just a huge talent. He will come up against tough men as Wood/Barnes, so not sure great anticipation is enough. Havent ever watched De Ligt, so thats why Im asking
He has held his own against Real Madrid and Bayern. I think he can handle Wood/Barnes etc.

Trizy

United is still one of the biggest 3 clubs in the world. 5 crappy years does next to nothing to damage that. In that horrific period we’ve still won 3 trophies, including a continental one.

Frankly of the biggest clubs in the world, where better for a young player to go right now? Look at the blend of academy products and players signed very young, that are currently making not only match day squads, but the starting XI. Shaw, Lindelof, Dalot, Pogba, Pereira, McTominay, Lingard, Rashford, Martial. Players like De Gea, Smalling and Jones were signed as teenagers; and Garner, Gomes, Chong, and Greenwood are knocking on the door and making match day squads.

Man Utd should be considered a top destination for any young player right now. And as a decision maker at OT I wouldn’t hesitate to drop 200m (in structured deals including many clauses to get to those numbers) on De Ligt and Sancho.
Unfortunately being the ideal match for a player doesn't always get you over the line. If he like many Ajax fans is a Barcelona fan then his mind will be easily made up. Especially since Barcelona will offer at least 1 trophy a year and United will not.

I'm sorry to be negative but as of right now if I was a professional player and supported an Ajax or Porto type club and had my pick of any club in Europe I'd chose City or Barcelona. If they didn't want me I'd go to Madrid, Juventus or Bayern.

foolsgold

Unfortunately being the ideal match for a player doesn't always get you over the line. If he like many Ajax fans is a Barcelona fan then his mind will be easily made up. Especially since Barcelona will offer at least 1 trophy a year and United will not.

I'm sorry to be negative but as of right now if I was a professional player and supported an Ajax or Porto type club and had my pick of any club in Europe I'd chose City or Barcelona. If they didn't want me I'd go to Madrid, Juventus or Bayern.
Of course you would, it's the logical choice. The Dutch tradition at Barca is strong, the football is good and the lifestyle fantastic.

Perhaps we can drown his agent or father in money ?

tieunhilang

Frankly speaking, this sickens me. We always praise ourselves as the biggest club in the world. Yet every time there is a new talent (Mbappe, Neymar, De Ligt...) we all here the same "He got Real/Barca/PSG/City/Juventus to choose from" . Has our standards dropped so low, or our board has been too incompetent that we fans now have this weird inferior complex? Every bright talent now seems destined for big teams, except for us. I notice this has been a trend in lots of threads for years.

Trizy

Of course you would, it's the logical choice. The Dutch tradition at Barca is strong, the football is good and the lifestyle fantastic.

Perhaps we can drown his agent or father in money ?
Now you're talking United language :drool:

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I can see us going for the best young talents under Ole, and de Ligt would actually be great. However, I don’t think we have the money (if he is very expensive which is likely) as we need so many other positions to be improved

AfroBuffalo

I think Ole comes across well to younger players too. He appears to be a manager who wants & can develop them. This will be appealing to players with big potential

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He's an amazing defender, but in the end he's just a defender. I don't buy a ticket to see a defender, but I do to see Frenkie's superpower.
Well he is the best teenage CB I have ever seen by some distance. And CBs can make a huge impact just look at Van Dijk's impact at Liverpool.

Member 93275

Well he is the best teenage CB I have ever seen by some distance. And CBs can make a huge impact just look at Van Dijk's impact at Liverpool.
I agree. He's better than VVD, he only needs to prove it yet in a big league.

Trizy

Frankly speaking, this sickens me. We always praise ourselves as the biggest club in the world. Yet every time there is a new talent (Mbappe, Neymar, De Ligt...) we all here the same "He got Real/Barca/PSG/City/Juventus to choose from" . Has our standards dropped so low, or our board has been too incompetent that we fans now have this weird inferior complex? Every bright talent now seems destined for big teams, except for us. I notice this has been a trend in lots of threads for years.
We've had 5.5 years of absolute muck, struggling to make CL football and getting no where near the league title or looking like we ever will (until Ole came to save us). That length of time does damage your reputation. Extreme examples would be Arsenal and AC Milan.

Womp

idiot
We've had 5.5 years of absolute muck, struggling to make CL football and getting no where near the league title or looking like we ever will (until Ole came to save us). That length of time does damage your reputation. Extreme examples would be Arsenal and AC Milan.
Those players joining other teams spans a lot longer than those 6 years. Even under SAF in the latter years, those huge transfers weren't common.

Suv666

Whenever there is Barcelona or Real involved its pretty much a non starter. If Barca wants him, they'll get him and there is nothing we can do about it.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
With Solskjaer at the helm, we might become attractive to younger talent once again. I'd let the media drum up the narrative that we are about to start 5 academy graduates in a champions league knock out game.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Some peculiar defeatist attitudes in here for one the richest sport clubs in the world.

Money talks in the end. Not a bad brand name to be associated with either.

deadrevelz

If we somehow managed to get De Ligt and Sancho our starting 11 would surely be one of the youngest in Europe.

De Gea 28
Dalot 19
Lindelof 24
De Ligt 19
Shaw 23
Matic 30
Herrera 29
Pogba 25
Rashford 21
Martial 23
Sancho 18

Average age: 23.5

Most of that team could play for 10 years. If we could get a young midfielder too it would be even lower. A massive outlay now, but could potentially save money in future seasons. You have to try to get the best players when they are available, or next year we will be trying to sign an inferior player for a huge amount of money anyway. Isn't that a false economy Ed? :)

Revan

Assumptionman
If we somehow managed to get De Ligt and Sancho our starting 11 would surely be one of the youngest in Europe.

De Gea 28
Dalot 19
Lindelof 24
De Ligt 19
Shaw 23
Matic 30
Herrera 29
Pogba 25
Rashford 21
Martial 23
Sancho 18

Most of that team could play for 10 years. If we could get a young midfielder too it would be even lower. A massive outlay now, but could potentially save money in future seasons. You have to try to get the best players when they are available, or next year we will be trying to sign an inferior player for a huge amount of money anyway. Isn't that a false economy Ed? :)
People age to be fair. By start of next season, Dalot would be 20, Herrera 30, Matic 31, Sancho 19, Lindelof 25, De Gea 29 and so on. The average would be closer 24.5 which is still quite young, and then we would need to replace only Matic and Herrera in the next 2-3 seasons, which is a very good situation to be in.

deadrevelz

People age to be fair. By start of next season, Dalot would be 20, Herrera 30, Matic 31, Sancho 19, Lindelof 25, De Gea 29 and so on. The average would be closer 24.5 which is still quite young, and then we would need to replace only Matic and Herrera in the next 2-3 seasons, which is a very good situation to be in.
Don't I know it...

Trizy

De Gea 28
Dalot 19
Lindelof 24
De Ligt 19
Shaw 23
Matic 30
Herrera 29
Pogba 25
Rashford 21
Martial 23
Sancho 18

Neves (21) and Rabiot (23) for Matic and Herrera eventually.

Momochiru

Yes we are the biggest club in terms of fan support, but this doesn't necessarily mean we are the most attractive club to players - we are behind 5-6 clubs in that regard. Here are several factors that put other clubs in front of us:

1. Unlimited budget - we are behind PSG and City here. Maybe a few others too, even if we are richer than some, because the owners are quite penny pinching sometimes
2. Lifestyle - behind Barca, Real, PSG, Juventus, the London clubs... probably even Bayern and several others
3. Guarantee of trophies - behind Barca, Real, Juventus, PSG, Bayern and probably City
4. Playing style - behind Barca, Real, City, Bayern, a few others too
5. Country's culture - this depends where the player is from, but we are behind the Spanish clubs, probably even behind PSG and Juventus for any south american players or players from the Mediterranean countries - Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, North Africa. PSG is probably the most attractive place for most African players, etc. Players from USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Scandinavian countries, might prefer to come to us, but these countries generally don't produce that many top talents.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Some peculiar defeatist attitudes in here for one the richest sport clubs in the world.

Money talks in the end. Not a bad brand name to be associated with either.
"Probably going to City", "We never sign players like him" and, "How come we're not in for..." have become 3 of the more tedious lines to do the rounds recently.

The past 6 years have burned the life out of some of the glory hunters.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was class tonight, didn't look his age at all. Jealous of whoever manages to get him, they'll have a class player for years.

Dolf

If I was Barcelona I would scrape together every euro and take on all the debt I could to buy De Ligt.

Status
Not open for further replies.