Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkRed

We have something, no other big club can offer - a first team spot.
I mean the rest will only offer him a place on the bench at first and then maybe he will move in, with us he will have to jump in.
Barca have 2 young FBs, don't think they have any need in another project.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I mean the rest will only offer him a place on the bench at first and then maybe he will move in, with us he will have to jump in.
With us, he will be the main man even at his young age. I still remember how he completely snuffed out Mbappe when the Dutch played France.

Icemav

Looks a monster player. Fast, strong, skillful, brave, and also a leader. Just looks a no brainer and its incredible that he is only 19 but plays like a man. Also looks like he could play elsewhere on the pitch (unlike Smalling and most other defenders) but loves defending. That is a big plus for me.

davidmichael

We’ve seem to have a good relationship with Ajax, can offer De Ligt a first team spot, have someone Ajax want in Fosu-Mensah, building an exciting young squad, going in the right direction and have the money to pay what Ajax would want so this just makes so much sense on every level.

Toad

Why do people keep mentioning VDS as DoF for United, when at Ajax he's the CEO, doing a lot of things except being a DoF which he leaves to the actual DoF (Overmars)?
Didn't he also rule this out previously or did I imagine that?

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Don’t know why people keep using Lenglet as someone Barca are super keen on? They’ve made number of buys for that money but have had no problem in keeping them on bench and eventually getting rid. On the top of my head I can recall Andre Gomes and Alcacer in recent times, Malcolm is also headed there.

They are absolutely stacked with talent, just need to sell one or two of them and that’s De Ligt transfer funded. I just cant see them letting go of an opportunity like this.

Kostov

I'm being lazy as haven't really followed his progress but what sort of defender is he?
Will he compliment Lindeloff?
He is basically a generational CB talent that you buy and then think who I bring in to complement him with. :D

To answer your question, I think they are pretty similar with Lindelof, but this kid is 19 and he just oozes class and that aura you feel when you see a top CB.

Mailo

Kid's a beast. Not in the making. A beast now, who will go from strength to strength. We should do everything to get him now. You could see it years ago, when they played us in the final, which is where we could've bought him uncontested.

Splash the cash. He's a Rolls Royce of a player.

No room for sentimentality. Just do it.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Don’t know why people keep using Lenglet as someone Barca are super keen on? They’ve made number of buys for that money but have had no problem in keeping them on bench and eventually getting rid. On the top of my head I can recall Andre Gomes and Alcacer in recent times, Malcolm is also headed there.

They are absolutely stacked with talent, just need to sell one or two of them and that’s De Ligt transfer funded. I just cant see them letting go of an opportunity like this.
Lenglet is Umtiti's backup. De Ligt would be competing with Pique and Todibo for the RCB spot.

Dolf

If he comes to United we might start winning again. Add another two or three quality upgrades and we can challenge for the big titles again. It's all about selling our vision to him.
True, but would you really want to take that risk as a player?
Also, when will these two or three wuality upgrades come? Certainly not all in one summer. Maybe we’ll be back to CL winning strenght in 4/5 years if we make some really big signings but why wait for that when in those same years you can win 5 serie A titles and challenge for the CL?

Trizy

Surely we have some sort of pull with players nowadays. Kinda need to finish top 4 though..

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
He'd be a starter at Anfield as well. He's comfortably better than Matip and Lovren and is better than Gomez as well. De Ligt alongside VVD with Gomez and Matip as back up would be a great set of CB's to have

SoulSurvivor

Supports
Ajax
Only Juve (Chiellini is 34, Bonucci is 32) and Man United can guarentee him a starting spot. Maybe Liverpool ? Gomez is really good, but he's such an injury prone.

Bartomeu has said publicly that he really likes De Ligt. But i don't know if it will happen.

De Ligt is better than Lenglet. Umtiti was injured for quite a while Pique. hasn't been great this season.
So i say it's 50-50.

Bayern will probably buy Lucas Hernandez and Pavard. Real Madrid is really interested in Porto defender Militao.

So the only real contenders imo are:
Juve
Barca
Man United
Liverpool

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkRed

He'd be a starter at Anfield as well. He's comfortably better than Matip and Lovren and is better than Gomez as well. De Ligt alongside VVD with Gomez and Matip as back up would be a great set of CB's to have
But is he that much better that you would like to pay ~80 million £ for?
Because many think Gomez is the best English CB or soon will be.

Wallez

I am becoming increasingly certain that De Ligt is the real deal. He has all the technical and physical attributes that is needed at the top level, and he seems like a hard-working lad that shows continuous development as a player. He seems to have a winning nature as well, as he just handles every challenge he faces perfectly. Ajax seem to be realistic in negotiations as well, not like Serie A directors that demand 200 mill for their one-season wonders. Frenkie De Jong was sold to Barca for a total of around 70 mill pounds including potential add-ons, and I would think that De Ligt is available for a similar price. Van Dijk went to Liverpool for that kind of money, and seems like an absolute bargain. I think De Ligt will look like a bargain in a few years, even if we spend 100-150 mill on him.

Fosu-Mens

We’ve seem to have a good relationship with Ajax, can offer De Ligt a first team spot, have someone Ajax want in Fosu-Mensah, building an exciting young squad, going in the right direction and have the money to pay what Ajax would want so this just makes so much sense on every level.
Time to show your worth agent Pogba. I'm certain Raiola would not mind having Pogba and De Ligt at the same club and increase his influence here.

Andersons Dietician

He’s probably not what United really need right now, but he is one of those players that if he is on the move how can you let him move somewhere else, he honestly looks like he will be the real deal. The first time I saw him was against us and he was brilliant that game and he has gone from strength to strength.
He is an investment and hopefully he will become what everyone hopes which is one of if not the best CB in the world. It might not be this year or even next and I’m sure there will be mistakes along the way but he’s too much of a talent to let move somewhere else.

Unfortunately I really don’t see United being an option for him which is a shame.

AndOr Hererra

Anyone heard of William Saliba? Nearly 2 years younger playing in France and in my opinion looks just as good as De Ligt albeit i haven't seen much of either, i think he could be a good alternative. Just as good physically and also shows good composure and passing ability.

Womp

idiot
Have we even been linked to him? All I see is the other big clubs around Europe are all seemingly interested.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Anyone heard of William Saliba? Nearly 2 years younger playing in France and in my opinion looks just as good as De Ligt albeit i haven't seen much of either, i think he could be a good alternative. Just as good physically and also shows good composure and passing ability.
How on earth can he look just as good as De Ligt? He's hardly played for Saint-e! He's firmly in the camp for one for the future and I've not seen anything of him to suggest he'll be as good as De Ligt.

TsuWave

Most of people here seem to not have any idea what a DoF is. The other people who posters in redcafe proposed as DoF so far have been Sir Alex Ferguson, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Eric Cantona. For whatever reasons, a common opinion seems to be that a DoF is a former legend who does something not that important.
:lol: this is funny but on point considering some of the posts i’ve seen

Redo91

Would Badiashile at Monaco be an alternative? Only turning 18 this month. I’ve only seen him play once but heard his name mentioned on here a few times. I think one of the French posters said we tried to sign him before Monaco tied him down to a professional contract.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
But is he that much better that you would like to pay ~80 million £ for?
Because many think Gomez is the best English CB or soon will be.
Good point. Gomez is top quality and although I think De Ligt is better, I'm not sure he's £80m better. I just think we need a top quality back up and Gomez could be that if we got De Ligt in.

NYAS

Would Badiashile at Monaco be an alternative? Only turning 18 this month. I’ve only seen him play once but heard his name mentioned on here a few times. I think one of the French posters said we tried to sign him before Monaco tied him down to a professional contract.
Yep, I’m a fan. Would also help as he’s a left-footed CB. As you say he’d be an alternative but it doesn’t look like he’s in the same stratosphere as De Ligt potential-wise. Which is really not a criticism, no other u-21 defender is, and only 4 or 5 other u-21 footballers in the world are.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Good point. Gomez is top quality and although I think De Ligt is better, I'm not sure he's £80m better. I just think we need a top quality back up and Gomez could be that if we got De Ligt in.
Sounds nice on paper but you'd have a job convincing Gomez to play back up, especially when he'd be a starter anywhere else.

Fosu-Mens

Yep, I’m a fan. Would also help as he’s a left-footed CB. As you say he’d be an alternative but it doesn’t look like he’s in the same stratosphere as De Ligt potential-wise. Which is really not a criticism, no other u-21 defender is, and only 4 or 5 other u-21 footballers in the world are.
Since Todibo signed for Barcelona, then Badiashile is the best alternative if De Ligt is not in the mix.

NYAS

Since Todibo signed for Barcelona, then Badiashile is the best alternative if De Ligt is not in the mix.
I also like Zagadou but I’m a sucker for left-footed CBs that are 6’4” and taller. We could do with one of those and he can also play back-up LB while he develops.

I’m getting off-topic though.

Irrational.

I would ditch all attempts to get Alderweireld, ship out Jones and Rojo and go all out for this guy in the summer. Our CB position would be sorted for 7-8 years between him and Lindelof/ Smalling/ Bailly.

yo@Kirk

Seeing what Ole and his staff have done with the squad Mourinho left, imagine what they could accomplish by adding immense talents like Matthigs de Ligt and Jadon Sancho. de Ligt's passing ability out of the back would fit perfectly with Ole's counterattacking style of play. If the board and Ed Woodward are serious about getting Manchester United challenging for EPL and CL titles again, they need to be acquiring talent like de Ligt and Sancho to augment de Gea, Pogba, Rashford, Shaw and the emerging academy products.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
True, but would you really want to take that risk as a player?
Also, when will these two or three wuality upgrades come? Certainly not all in one summer. Maybe we’ll be back to CL winning strenght in 4/5 years if we make some really big signings but why wait for that when in those same years you can win 5 serie A titles and challenge for the CL?
I think we can bring in the additional 3 players in the summer. I honestly think we could challenge next season, nevermind wait 4/5 years. We are actually pretty good as it stands.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Big money CB I think Koulibaly has to be first choice, much better player right now which is what we need right now. Have a lot of young players in the team already.

Aloysius's Back 3

The reason I want de ligt over a player like koulibaliy is the latter puts a big pressure on ole to win the league straight away more so than building a team that can potentially dominate in a 2-3 years time.

I'd much rather see this team grow with our DNA because ultimately I am open to the idea that our actual success is a few years away when players like Pogba, Rashford, Shaw, Martial are experienced themselves never mind the next class of 2019.

mav_9me

Only Juve (Chiellini is 34, Bonucci is 32) and Man United can guarentee him a starting spot. Maybe Liverpool ? Gomez is really good, but he's such an injury prone.

Bartomeu has said publicly that he really likes De Ligt. But i don't know if it will happen.

De Ligt is better than Lenglet. Umtiti was injured for quite a while Pique. hasn't been great this season.
So i say it's 50-50.

Bayern will probably buy Lucas Hernandez and Pavard. Real Madrid is really interested in Porto defender Militao.

So the only real contenders imo are:
Juve
Barca
Man United
Liverpool
That's really our only selling point. i don't see it happening though. In fact the only way I see it happening is if VDS got involved with us and through him we get de Ligt. When was the last time we were in for and got an in demand non-english generational talent? Closest would be Martial, but we pounced on him earlier than the hype.

King.of.Red

I like Koulibaly but looking at the long term, we should buy De Light. I also miss another star player from Netherlands in our team, especially a CB.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Is there anything actually linking us to him or is this being bumped out of wishful thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.