Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadrevelz

Is there anything actually linking us to him or is this being bumped out of wishful thinking?
Thoughts and prayers. :angel:

That's really our only selling point. i don't see it happening though. In fact the only way I see it happening is if VDS got involved with us and through him we get de Ligt. When was the last time we were in for and got an in demand non-english generational talent? Closest would be Martial, but we pounced on him earlier than the hype.
Yes I've been saying that recently, it rarely happens for us. However we said the same about massive name / marquee signings then Ed brought in Mata, Falcao, Sweinsteiger, Di Maria, Zlatan and Pogba. Let's hope he has simply shifted his focus away from this and towards the young potential superstar catalogue.

Kidders

I don't remember seeing anything linking him to us, but we really should be in for him, get shot of Rojo and give him the number 5 shirt for the next 15 years.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
That's really our only selling point. i don't see it happening though. In fact the only way I see it happening is if VDS got involved with us and through him we get de Ligt. When was the last time we were in for and got an in demand non-english generational talent? Closest would be Martial, but we pounced on him earlier than the hype.
This will sound strange, but I think Ole can be a good selling point. A young manager which looks to give a proper chance to his players and won't bench them after a mistake or two. Of course, Pep or Klopp have an upper hand, especially as Klopp already has Van Dijk to partner him. But, I don't see such advantage when we compare Ole with Allegri for example. Money is always a good selling point. If he moves this summer, CL might be important also.
Genuinely, we definitely don't look like a bad place for a young talent to come in atm (Lindelof, Shaw, Rashford...).

Is there anything actually linking us to him or is this being bumped out of wishful thinking?
Pure wishful thinking. Expecting Mirror to pick something based on this thread pretty soon though.

Art

Art the artist
I don't remember seeing anything linking him to us, but we really should be in for him, get shot of Rojo and give him the number 5 shirt for the next 15 years.
Rojo wears 16. He changed his number before the season started i think.

DarkXaero

I never get really hyped for CB signings but De Ligt would still be my #1 target this summer, simply because he's a certainty to be a world class CB. And he's only 19. Our defense could be set for a long time with him, and he's the ideal type of CB for modern football. A natural leader, great on the ball, and a mature, strong player who reads the game remarkably well for his age. It's so infuriating to see us not even be linked with him, when we are crying out for a quality CB to partner Lindelof.

Muhammad Fauzi

I never get really hyped for CB signings but De Ligt would still be my #1 target this summer, simply because he's a certainty to be a world class CB. And he's only 19. Our defense could be set for a long time with him, and he's the ideal type of CB for modern football. A natural leader, great on the ball, and a mature, strong player who reads the game remarkably well for his age. It's so infuriating to see us not even be linked with him, when we are crying out for a quality CB to partner Lindelof.
Don’t worry we will miss out on him.

Fracture90

Is Raiola his agent or someone else? I'm sure I've read his agent to be other than Raiola, could be wrong..
All reports indicate that it's Raiola. Also allegedly Barca and Real Madrid are reluctant to do any business with that fat little slimeball.

Fracture90

Between us and Juve?
Juve probably in top position for him considering all the connections Raiola has at Juve starting with his lifelong client Nedved. They can offer easy trophies and a starter spot to De Ligt, but the question is would they be willing to pay the money asked.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Is Raiola his agent or someone else? I'm sure I've read his agent to be other than Raiola, could be wrong..
One of the Dutch posters here said a while ago that Raiola is just negotiating this deal for De Ligt. That once De Ligt changes clubs his normal agent takes over again.

Trizy

Buy this guy and we have a CB for the next 15 years. It's a no brainer really.
No brain regardless of the fee, yes. However, we're down in the pecking order of destinations at the moment. 5 terrible years does that sort of damage.

I would not be shocked if a player saw Liverpool, City, Bayern, Juventus, Madrid and Barcelona all as better prospects for winning trophies than us. Unfortunately that means we may be taken to the cleaners again to get in talents.

Kostov

No brain regardless of the fee, yes. However, we're down in the pecking order of destinations at the moment. 5 terrible years does that sort of damage.

I would not be shocked if a player saw Liverpool, City, Bayern, Juventus, Madrid and Barcelona all as better prospects for winning trophies than us. Unfortunately that means we may be taken to the cleaners again to get in talents.
I agree we've are having some rough times yeah, but we will be back and I'm sure De Ligt seeing our young core of player might think the same. Not sure, maybe the fan in me is too optimistic.

On our possible competition, well, liverpool are not going to be in for him considering the outlay they made for VVD and Gomez looking like a good CB in the making. Bayern are buying Pavard and rumored for Hernandez from Athletico Madrid. City are usually staying clear of bidding wars when it comes to transfers imo. Real will need a CB soon, Barca are always in the mix and Juventus as well. You are right we will have to overpay, but he will worth it, every pound of that transfer fee.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Would be awesome if De Ligt went to United. Though I'm afraid that if Barcelona have enough money left he will prefer to go to them, because that's the natural order of things for Ajax players. Honestly think he will surpass Van Dijk in a year or two.

Kinda sad for Ajax that, for all of their money, they probably won't be able to keep him, simply because our league is not something the best players aspire to.

Trizy

I agree we've are having some rough times yeah, but we will be back and I'm sure De Ligt seeing our young core of player might think the same. Not sure, maybe the fan in me is too optimistic.

On our possible competition, well, liverpool are not going to be in for him considering the outlay they made for VVD and Gomez looking like a good CB in the making. Bayern are buying Pavard and rumored for Hernandez from Athletico Madrid. City are usually staying clear of bidding wars when it comes to transfers imo. Real will need a CB soon, Barca are always in the mix and Juventus as well. You are right we will have to overpay, but he will worth it, every pound of that transfer fee.
Ya realistically City and Liverpool won't be in for him unless they see him as a huge talent worth going for.
Madrid have loads of money to splash elsewhere
Juventus and PSG could be in for him. Would Juventus splash the cash though?
Barcelona could also start replacing Pique but their spending recently seems to be mad. Maybe that will stop them spending another 70-100m?

If he wants to start winning straight away Barcelona and Juventus are the no brainer. Madrid at their best were still Barcelona's bitch domestically, he is guaranteed at least 2 trophies a year with them I feel.

Then there's us, I feel we need to splash elsewhere first. Sancho could take most of our budget. However, both Sancho and de Ligt could be worth splashing the entire budget on even if we need more players.

izec

Too big a talent that not at least 2 or 3 big clubs wont be in for him. Juve are in for him already. I would be surprised if at least 2 of Barca/Real and City/Liverpool werent, he is that good and it doesnt stop these clubs of piling up talented players if they feel to. We only have a chance if we are in for him early and making him feel extremely important. If we sneak in late, that wont do it, because other clubs are already in his ear. We dont have much distinctive things to offer that other clubs cant, we need to sell it better than the rest and put in the effort in convincing him.

Kostov

Ya realistically City and Liverpool won't be in for him unless they see him as a huge talent worth going for.
Madrid have loads of money to splash elsewhere
Juventus and PSG could be in for him. Would Juventus splash the cash though?
Barcelona could also start replacing Pique but their spending recently seems to be mad. Maybe that will stop them spending another 70-100m?

If he wants to start winning straight away Barcelona and Juventus are the no brainer. Madrid at their best were still Barcelona's bitch domestically, he is guaranteed at least 2 trophies a year with them I feel.

Then there's us, I feel we need to splash elsewhere first. Sancho could take most of our budget. However, both Sancho and de Ligt could be worth splashing the entire budget on even if we need more players.
Well if Woodward wants to back his chit chat and mouthing off about how we are able to do things in the market that other dream of, and how we are the greatest club in the World, we need a 300m spend in the summer window. I mean look at City, they quietly splash 250m year after year while having a superior team than us. Splashing 200m on Sancho and de Ligt this summer would be the best possible business we could make. On top of that we need a RB and a CDM/CM.

We either chase a freebie like Rabiot, or Woodward need to deliver the funds.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
One of the Dutch posters here said a while ago that Raiola is just negotiating this deal for De Ligt. That once De Ligt changes clubs his normal agent takes over again.
His agent is 'Barry Hulshoff' according to what I've just read.

Robertd0803

I might have missed something but what deal is Raiola negotiating? To Barca?

Aloysius's Back 3

Think with Juve is that it's clear as hell to me that Zidane is going to manage there so the de ligt transfer might be more easier to Juventus.

Hopefully not & the Lad is on to us because there is not even an experienced ageing player that plays the LCB spot for us.

Hopefully Blind has some good stuff to say about us that might have shifted his thoughts.

onemanarmy

His agent is 'Barry Hulshoff' according to what I've just read.
Barry Hulshoff, quite the character. Had some great years as a player at Ajax, won a few European Cups with them. Came to Belgium afterwards, I think he played for at least 5-6 teams here.

Too big a talent that not at least 2 or 3 big clubs wont be in for him. Juve are in for him already. I would be surprised if at least 2 of Barca/Real and City/Liverpool werent, he is that good and it doesnt stop these clubs of piling up talented players if they feel to. We only have a chance if we are in for him early and making him feel extremely important. If we sneak in late, that wont do it, because other clubs are already in his ear. We dont have much distinctive things to offer that other clubs cant, we need to sell it better than the rest and put in the effort in convincing him.
I'm not sure about that. For a player of his age its between us and Barcelona as the biggest clubs he watched growing up. His current defensive partner and his club CEO are ex players, and his coach in the youth teams was Jaap Stam. We should be right up there, especially as we're one of the most in form teams in Europe right now.

tieunhilang

De Ligt belongs in the special class of centerbacks that can complement practically anyone because of how well rounded their skill-set is (he has already played with different types of centerbacks in his career: Sánchez and Wöber to Van Dijk and Blind and even De Jong). Think along the lines of someone like Nesta, who had no problems excelling with a bunch of defenders — Mihajlović, Couto, Costacurta, Maldini, Cannavaro, Stam, Thiago. With the way football is progressing, having two centerbacks who are comfortable on the ball is becoming a bit of a norm at the elite level, and Lindelöf + De Ligt would be a very smooth partnership from that standpoint. And despite having the technical skill-set of a sweeper, De Ligt is fairly robust and very precise with his duels/tackles, so it wouldn't be a lightweight partnership by any means, especially with Shaw at leftback to further solidify things. Barring injuries, you could argue that he's the safest elite prospect in recent years with Mbappé; should be a no-brainer for United but the competition will be intense (especially from Juventus: who have a solid relationship with Raiola, as well as the usual Spanish suspects, among others).
Okay, I'm sold already. Let's go for him and don't spend the summer chasing Koulibaly?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm not sure about that. For a player of his age its between us and Barcelona as the biggest clubs he watched growing up. His current defensive partner and his club CEO are ex players, and his coach in the youth teams was Jaap Stam. We should be right up there, especially as we're one of the most in form teams in Europe right now.
Emmm! PL yes. Europe? Let's see

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Barry Hulshoff, quite the character. Had some great years as a player at Ajax, won a few European Cups with them. Came to Belgium afterwards, I think he played for at least 5-6 teams here.

Loved him in Knightrider and Baywatch

izec

I wouldnt dismiss Juve, big club and trophies guaranteed.

ROFLUTION

What does Ajax fans think of him? Compared to other talents from the dutch league?

What'd be his price? Would he be ready to play for a team like United from the beginning or would he need some easing in? Would be shrute business to have a safe central defender for the next 10 years.

Sjaakmeoff

What does Ajax fans think of him? Compared to other talents from the dutch league?

What'd be his price? Would he be ready to play for a team like United from the beginning or would he need some easing in? Would be shrute business to have a safe central defender for the next 10 years.
Biggest talent in years. Bigger than Frenkie. In fact, i can't really remember a talent who i was so sure of to succeed in the absolute top. I think i have to go back to the Sneijder/Robben days for that. Frenkie went for 86mio euro's. Matthijs won't go for less than that i guess. But that all depends of which deep pocket clubs want him. If there are a few, i won't be surprised if he goes for over 100mio euro's (which -i believe- is still going to look like a bargain in a few years).

Status
Not open for further replies.