Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperiorXI

Tbf De Ligt's the sort of player I woulnt mind us paying over the odds for.
I'm sure a lot of people would have thought the same re Sanchez.

I like De Ligt, but this is exactly the type of deal I wanted us to AVOID in this window. Time to rebuild, not continually make the SAME mistakes.

Infra-red

The obvious choice would be joining Barca, playing with Messi and De Jong, winning trophies every year, and challenge for CL
The 2nd choice would be joining PSG, high salary, playing with Neymar and Mbappe, winning league every year, and challenge for CL
The most challenging choice would be joining Man Utd, playing with Young and Jones, risking his whole career winning nothing, challenge for top 4 spot in the league
Yes, I assume Barcelona will get it over the line eventually, although they might have to pay Raiola a little bit more than they'd like.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

I like De Ligt, but this is exactly the type of deal I wanted us to AVOID in this window. Time to rebuild, not continually make the SAME mistakes.
He's 19 years old. You're comparing apples and pears in that sense. The only common factor is the wages they'd earn.

Why? Sanchez was on a decline, De Ligt isn't even at his peak yet.

Gandalf

Yes, I assume Barcelona will get it over the line eventually, although they might have to pay Raiola a little bit more than they'd like.
Barca are going to need a lot of clubs to overpay for their castoffs to afford Griezmann and de Ligt in this window, they were struggling before Griezmann decided he wanted to move and if they sign him and meet his wage demands I would almost guarantee they would be out on de Ligt. For Barca CB is not a major position of need and Griezmann has been their holy grail for a couple of years now.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
More chance of me signing for utd and I'm fat old and useless.

Actually, I'll probably get £350000 a week!

SuperiorXI

He's 19 years old. You're comparing apples and pears in that sense. The only common factor is the wages they'd earn.
There's the risk. We're allegedly going to pay this young lad massive wages off the back of a single season whereby every man and his dog could tell you he's playing amazing.

Where is the scouting system that gets players like this before they play this well for a cut price? Why are we moving like we've put some fans in charge of the transfers and give them a shed load of money to boot?

Why? Sanchez was on a decline, De Ligt isn't even at his peak yet.
Firstly we can only say that in hindsight, re the latter, this is a presumption. How do we know De Ligt hasn't just had the season of his career? Ultimately it's all about the risks. Proper clubs mitigate risks by identifying talent early and paying reasonable fees. What is it we're doing? And have been doing for years???

Infra-red

Barca are going to need a lot of clubs to overpay for their castoffs to afford Griezmann and de Ligt in this window, they were struggling before Griezmann decided he wanted to move and if they sign him and meet his wage demands I would almost guarantee they would be out on de Ligt. For Barca CB is not a major position of need and Griezmann has been their holy grail for a couple of years now.
I don't see it being much of an issue. They have reportedly put Rakitic, Coutinho, Umtiti and Malcom up for sale (and maybe O. Dembele), plus they have the second largest revenues in football after Real Madrid.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There's the risk. We're allegedly going to pay this young lad massive wages off the back of a single season whereby every man and his dog could tell you he's playing amazing.

Where is the scouting system that gets players like this before they play this well for a cut price? Why are we moving like we've put some fans in charge of the transfers and give them a shed load of money to boot?
It's not based off a single season off form. He's been heavily linked by our club prior to that and was recommended highly by former scouts. He's also been assessed against some top teams. If he doesn't work out then he will have resale value, which is why it's nothing like the Alexis deal.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel

Firstly we can only say that in hindsight, re the latter, this is a presumption. How do we know De Ligt hasn't just had the season of his career? Ultimately it's all about the risks. Proper clubs mitigate risks by identifying talent early and paying reasonable fees. What is it we're doing? And have been doing for years???
Our scouting team identified de ligt when he was 17 and told Woodward about him and de Jong and they done nothing with the information. The scout was eventually sacked because he was too outspoken and questioned Woodwards lack of sensible decisions.

Icemav

Agree with almost all your post but I take issue with the bolded bit. Many were questioning (at least those who were watching his form closely at Arsenal) whether it was wise to take someone who could be on the decline. I admit it is worse than many feared but the concern was there.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Really does seem like we'll sign him. Or at least, Barcelona won't. Could be wrong but he'd have signed for them if he wanted to. I'm guessing the money we're offering is far too much to neglect.

I say this as a non-muppet.

Johan07

Our scouting team identified de ligt when he was 17 and told Woodward about him and de Jong and they done nothing with the information. The scout was eventually sacked because he was too outspoken and questioned Woodwards lack of sensible decisions.
Or:
De Ligt has been known by all top clubs in Europe since he was 15. Probably one of the most well scouted players of all the players in Europe in his age group by every top club in Europe.
And:
Do you seriously think that a mid-level scout calls up Ed Woodward "and told Woodward about him". What complete nonsense.
You are citing unconfirmed information from a mid-level scout that was pretty much sacked by United.
Not a very well thought out post. Or you are probably just wumming.

Gandalf

I don't see it being much of an issue. They have reportedly put Rakitic, Coutinho, Umtiti and Malcom up for sale (and maybe O. Dembele), plus they have the second largest revenues in football after Real Madrid.
They won't be selling all of those though and certainly the likes of Coutinho and Dembele will be sold at a significant loss if they go this summer as they have badly underachieved. The bigger problem though is the wage bill. Barca had to get a 140 million Euro loan in February due to financial troubles and have already turned around and spent half of that on De Jong. Griezmann is supposedly looking at 850,000 a week plus a fee of around 120 million. I don't see any way they buy both in this window even with a few departures.

Infra-red

They won't be selling all of those though and certainly the likes of Coutinho and Dembele will be sold at a significant loss if they go this summer as they have badly underachieved. The bigger problem though is the wage bill. Barca had to get a 140 million Euro loan in February due to financial troubles and have already turned around and spent half of that on De Jong. Griezmann is supposedly looking at 850,000 a week plus a fee of around 120 million. I don't see any way they buy both in this window even with a few departures.
There will certainly be a few departures.

Johan07

To be fair: Barca will not pay the transfer fee up front for De Jong. it will be amortized over the period of his contract. So that is not quite correct to say that they have "spent" it on De Jong. De Jong´s transfer fee will go in to the trade balance of transfers that Barca like most clubs have. They wont have to shell out all of the transfer fees in cash this summer, in the same way that they will not receive all of the money for transfer fees in this summer. Long term having a negative transfer fee balance will of course affect the club though.
As you say their wage bill is the problem. Its remarkable how they think that this will work long-term. Barcas wage/turnover ratio is between 70-80 percent depending on who you believe. We are just above 50 percent which is stretching it. Madrid are similar to us. I dont get how Barcelona will manage this tbh.

Last edited:

cyberman

This must rule out Barca since every outlet has said they can't come to an agreement?

Sterling Archer

Here's the thing...unlike Sanchez, I actually expect De Ligt to come in and put these jokesters on their backside in training. Lay down the law, if you will. I think he's got the temperament to set anyone straight that throws a fuss about whatever wage structure he's put on.

Bah, he probably won't even need to. It will make a world of a difference just if he's more social than Alexis whose standoffishness was known even from Arsenal.

Top it off with the age factor. Not so much that he's young and can become a world beater. I'm talking young and able to relate better with our millennial jack offs. Maybe that's what they need ...a younger leader that gets them.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
He's about as good a centre back as we could hope for but I can't help thinking it would be yet another example of a player doing us a favour by signing. And those signings just don't seem to work out.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
More chance of me signing for utd and I'm fat old and useless.

Actually, I'll probably get £350000 a week!
But you'd probably still do better than quite a few of our current players ;)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It's bizarre anyone truly thinks there's even a hint in his words that we're involved.

His words are pure media training jobs. Not ruling anything in or out.

Le Red

I honestly believe we're going to sign him. I'm not particularly confident, I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up elsewhere, but I think he's odds on to come here.

I'm desperate for it to happen so that I can watch Ballague squirm as much as anything else.
I don't think Barcelona is confident in signing him at the moment. They do love to boast when securing a deal because it show the world how much the talented players are desperate to join them and only them.
The game is on. Barcelona might win but we sure are giving them a run for their money.

Le Red

What a comparison. A player that was about to undergo one of the steepest declines ever seen in football (even though we didn't know that a the time) with a 19 year old who's got his whole carreer ahead of him.

USREDEVIL

What a comparison. A player that was about to undergo one of the steepest declines ever seen in football (even though we didn't know that a the time) with a 19 year old who's got his whole carreer ahead of him.
They couldn't be different could they? Jeez.

SuperiorXI

Agree with almost all your post but I take issue with the bolded bit. Many were questioning (at least those who were watching his form closely at Arsenal) whether it was wise to take someone who could be on the decline. I admit it is worse than many feared but the concern was there.
And here is my concern. Spunking massive amounts on a hot prospect 19 year old. Does that not seem similar if not even more of a risk than Sanchez???

How do you know? Do you have a crystal ball?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
SAF would’ve signed him after the Europa league final 2 years ago. Anyone could see he had quality even then, so it’s a bit annoying we’re having to pay him a kings ransom to even be in with a shout. It would stun me if he came here, but I can’t help be hopeful at the same time.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Close this thread. And start a new one "Matthijs De Ligt | 2019/20 Performances"

SuperiorXI

SAF would’ve signed him after the Europa league final 2 years ago. Anyone could see he had quality even then, so it’s a bit annoying we’re having to pay him a kings ransom to even be in with a shout. It would stun me if he came here, but I can’t help be hopeful at the same time.
Spot on, my main gripe here is we're seemingly only interested when it's obvious to ever fecker that the guy has game.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I thought it was well documented that Ajax didn't want to let him go before he was ready and he was in the same opinion. This also happens to be at a time when their national team was struggling and they saw how players like Depay etc regressed by moving ahead of time and they wanted to do it right with de ligt and de Jong.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Dead right. Our inability to buy up and coming players at the right time has been one of our major flaws over the past 6 years.

USREDEVIL

We sign this guy and there is actually hope for this club in the next decade. Could be a catalyst transfer.
To me this signing would be great, a lot of why is because it would show a real intent to go after top top players. I would think this would be the start of a real and proper overhaul. We need some real quality up front as well however.

Icemav

And here is my concern. Spunking massive amounts on a hot prospect 19 year old. Does that not seem similar if not even more of a risk than Sanchez???

How do you know? Do you have a crystal ball?
Well on MDL I agree. We should pay the transfer fee, agents fee and cap his salary at about 220k. If he comes he comes. We do also need to shift Alexis. I dont mind having him in the squad but his present level and salary is a massive issue.

Anyway I dont think MDL is a serious part of our transfer strategy this window.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Here's the thing...unlike Sanchez, I actually expect De Ligt to come in and put these jokesters on their backside in training. Lay down the law, if you will. I think he's got the temperament to set anyone straight that throws a fuss about whatever wage structure he's put on.

Bah, he probably won't even need to. It will make a world of a difference just if he's more social than Alexis whose standoffishness was known even from Arsenal.

Top it off with the age factor. Not so much that he's young and can become a world beater. I'm talking young and able to relate better with our millennial jack offs. Maybe that's what they need ...a younger leader that gets them.
Meh... they'll get jealous and shun him off like they shun sanchez off, our jack offs that

Status
Not open for further replies.