Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

I just can't get over the fact that Juve, amidst the speculation and waiting for the negotiations with Ajax to finish, have signed two other young defender at reasonable prices as well.

United on the other hand have reports of feeling they wasted time on De Ligt and only now are in the process with Maguire.

RedorDead21

I just can't get over the fact that Juve, amidst the speculation and waiting for the negotiations with Ajax to finish, have signed two other young defender at reasonable prices as well.

United on the other hand have reports of feeling they wasted time on De Ligt and only now are in the process with Maguire.
Any hour spent chasing De Ligt was hardly wasted. He can only sign for one club so hardly any shame in making every conceivable effort. So we don't sign him but he knows the lengths we went to, in 5 years time he may be moving on again and we may then be back at the top. WHo knows. Also we don't work on one deal at a time, they are all interlinked and worked on together and at some point, a decision needs to be made by the club who to go with. On this occasion probably taken out of their hands. 20 years of success means we are overcharged for players. Nothing wrong with that.

Sterling Archer

Any hour spent chasing De Ligt was hardly wasted. He can only sign for one club so hardly any shame in making every conceivable effort. So we don't sign him but he knows the lengths we went to, in 5 years time he may be moving on again and we may then be back at the top. WHo knows. Also we don't work on one deal at a time, they are all interlinked and worked on together and at some point, a decision needs to be made by the club who to go with. On this occasion probably taken out of their hands. 20 years of success means we are overcharged for players. Nothing wrong with that.
That's not the point I have contention with.

Why didn't we sign anyone else in the interim like that Goddard kid? Smalling Lindelof and Axel. We need more, better options on top of one more starting CB.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

I can't get over the fact you're apparently unable to work on more than one deal at a time, myself. Or how scattergun you seem to be

Sterling Archer

I can't get over the fact you're apparently unable to work on more than one deal at a time, myself. Or how scattergun you seem to be
It's remarkable isn't it? I was just going through the transfer forum looking for updates and the list of players for quite some time has been:
- James
- AWB
- Bruno
- Longstaff
- Maguire
- Diop
- De Ligt
- Lemina

A few of those I can see the negotiations being complicated. But how did it take so long for AWB? Why is Longstaff still being worked on? The amount of time we've been hearing Bruno is close. The musings over Maguire.

The club don't know how to function as a top football entity, because we don't have football business experts. Six years and the idiots are still off the pace. It's not a feckin PhD program.

also I have no chill anymore with any of this

RedorDead21

That's not the point I have contention with.

Why didn't we sign anyone else in the interim like that Goddard kid? Smalling Lindelof and Axel. We need more, better options on top of one more starting CB.
We prob have more CBs than any other PL team. Prob need to sell some before we can buy and there prob isn't much of a demand for ours. Add to this that available options significantly better than what we have, can choose between any of a host of better positioned clubs than ours, and then you have our current dilemma. We seem to be well positioned for Maguire which is about as much as any reasonable fan could expect right now.

Sterling Archer

We prob have more CBs than any other PL team. Prob need to sell some before we can buy and there prob isn't much of a demand for ours. Add to this that available options significantly better than what we have, can choose between any of a host of better positioned clubs than ours, and then you have our current dilemma. We seem to be well positioned for Maguire which is about as much as any reasonable fan could expect right now.
Goes back to giving Jones a contract. No reason to do that as a top club aside from incompetence

RedorDead21

It's remarkable isn't it? I was just going through the transfer forum looking for updates and the list of players for quite some time has been:
- James
- AWB
- Bruno
- Longstaff
- Maguire
- Diop
- De Ligt
- Lemina

A few of those I can see the negotiations being complicated. But how did it take so long for AWB? Why is Longstaff still being worked on? The amount of time we've been hearing Bruno is close. The musings over Maguire.

The club don't know how to function as a top football entity, because we don't have football business experts. Six years and the idiots are still off the pace. It's not a feckin PhD program.

we will be chasing several players for the same position. Why sow up Maguire whilst DeLigt is not officially off the market etc. There are loads of deals up in the air for every club these things just sometimes take more time. Players and clubs have time yet to come to these decisions. Nailing down a player on the first day of the window (unless he's first choice) would be pretty silly especially for a club whose not quite sure of its own pulling power right now.

dove

- James
- AWB
- Bruno
- Longstaff
- Maguire
- Diop
- De Ligt
- Lemina

I think the only logical explanation is that our remaining buys depend on the sales. So it would be quite typical of us to sell Lukaku/Pogba a week before transfer window closes and then panic buy 2-3 players. I think that's exactly what's gonna happen.

Sterling Archer

we will be chasing several players for the same position. Why sow up Maguire whilst DeLigt is not officially off the market etc. There are loads of deals up in the air for every club these things just sometimes take more time. Players and clubs have time yet to come to these decisions. Nailing down a player on the first day of the window (unless he's first choice) would be pretty silly especially for a club whose not quite sure of its own pulling power right now.
My point was with De Ligt not certain and a wealth of defensive options, Juventus went ahead and signed two young promising defenders. That's in addition to the De Ligt deal. While it's been back and forth with it seems more certainty than we had.

In contrast, we've sat with our thumb up our arse and far less quality

podurban2

My point was with De Ligt not certain and a wealth of defensive options, Juventus went ahead and signed two young promising defenders. That's in addition to the De Ligt deal. While it's been back and forth with it seems more certainty than we had.

I’m so tired of our transfer dealings.

RedorDead21

Juve are not us. They have alot more pull right now. They have great experienced defenders so their priorities are easier to define. Pretty sure we will be doing everything we can behind the scenes. Give it a few weeks and I think we'll have a CB in the door. If it's De Ligt on the last day of the window I assume we'll all be happy and accept the efforts were worth it.

Sterling Archer

Juve are not us. They have alot more pull right now. They have great experienced defenders so their priorities are easier to define. Pretty sure we will be doing everything we can behind the scenes. Give it a few weeks and I think we'll have a CB in the door. If it's De Ligt on the last day of the window I assume we'll all be happy and accept the efforts were worth it.
Correct. They are not us. They are a shit poor team that has gone and signed the following:
Ramsey AM
Rabiot CM
Pellegrini LB
Buffon GK
Demiral CB

For a grand total of $45 million

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
When De Ligt said at the beginning of the window that he already knew where he'll be playing this season, was he:
  1. misunderstood
  2. mistaken
  3. talking about Juventus
  4. talking about a club other than Juventus
  5. full of shit

Gasolin

- James
- AWB
- Bruno
- Longstaff
- Maguire
- Diop
- De Ligt
- Lemina

But what could be the issue? Money? Then is that really a footballing issue?

SATA

Don't think anyone cares where he goes anymore. It's been dragging too long and he isn't on Neymar or Pogba's hype and level for anyone to give a fuss about where he ends up this year

Gasolin

Raiola may be pissed because United is not giving him the moves for Pogba. So with Pogba "unhappy", he's not sure he wants to send us De Ligt.

Halal Jalal

As long as he's still officially an Ajax player, I have some (foolish) hope. De Ligt is the one signing that would help turn the mood around and look positively at our future - immediate key player boosting our defence, and possibly a captain next summer? Not to mention it could persuade PP to stay.
Come on, lets do one thing right, and he's pretty cheap too all things considered.

Reactions: golden_blunder

LJJT

Can’t believe how dead this move seems to have gone over the last two weeks. Is any one genuinely after him or got any money to get him? Surely we still have a chance if we pay enough he’s one of the few that could be worth throwing money at

BlueHaze

As each day goes by, I feel more confident that he might just end up here.
Never going to happen and I think that's a good thing as daft as that may sound. I wanted him to be our pirority signing for quite some time but the more I think of it I never want us to get involved with another fatiola client ever again. He just moves them on after 3 years anyway.

Patrick08

Raiola may be pissed because United is not giving him the moves for Pogba. So with Pogba "unhappy", he's not sure he wants to send us De Ligt.
He would be of course of how we used Mkh pogba and Lukaku who later dumped him.

red thru&thru

Never going to happen and I think that's a good thing as daft as that may sound. I wanted him to be our pirority signing for quite some time but the more I think of it I never want us to get involved with another fatiola client ever again. He just moves them on after 3 years anyway.
Yep, there is this too.

I just wish we didn't need someone, of his quality, so bad!

nonetheless

Supports
Juve

It is true to a point, both young defenders were signed or purchased together in advance during last Winter window and only one, Demiral will be part of the team while Romero will be sent on loan. Juve started working on De Ligt 2 years ago and already last summer made quite a high offer of 30Mplus bonuses that was rejected (actually they would have accepted if we included kean but that was out of the question).

These type of trades cannot generally be done in a few weeks, they need a lot of work and preparation especially if you cannot afford just to throw money around and need to prioritise the budget. It is almost certain that as soon as they close these window they will start working on next year's targets such as Eriksen it seems.
Planning is easier when the management is stable, at MU with the change of manager and the CL spot loss probably it was more difficult to plan ahead this year,

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
pretty much pointless posting that :lol: talk about sitting on the fence, he obviously doesn't know anything - we aren't signing him I think that's obvious now.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
The ever-on-the-ball, ever-truthful Express:
  • Manchester United chief Ed Woodward has been offered the chance to sign Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax by Mino Raiola, it has been claimed.

red thru&thru

The ever-on-the-ball, ever-truthful Express:
  • Manchester United chief Ed Woodward has been offered the chance to sign Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax by Mino Raiola, it has been claimed.
Duncan Castles mentioned this last week on the Transfer podcast.

RedCurry

This whole saga may do wonders for his pay cheque but it won't help his public perception at all. The boy better produce or he'll be slayed by all of them(us) keyboard warriors.

redshaw

If I was de Ligt I'd want to know if a player like Pogba is staying.

We did see the Italian and German flag resting in the bush though. Could be a nice bit of trolling or genuine leaving party. Seems like Juve have an agreement and will be done soon. These tweets often feel like they're old news, perhaps Juve did try a low offer a while back and we hear about it now. Juve has probably paid a fee Ajax are happy with and it's nearly done. If the party is genuine I doubt you'd be buying Italian flags with the deal half way through.

Status
Not open for further replies.