Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

red thru&thru

I doubt he'll come to us now, especially after the comments Raiola made about United not progressing etc.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
This saga's trying too hard.

ITK's should just admit the kid is going to work on Mino's money plantation in China.

Robertd0803

Oh just get on with it ffs. Think everyone is bored senseless at this point.

And as for the whole Raiola offering him to us? Yeah sure. Offer De Ligt on one hand while causing a stupid amount of problems with Pogba on the other. Makes sense.

imamuppet

snip.............Agents are slimy because they only look after their clients interests. I don’t understand the hate Raiola gets. He clearly only cares about his clients, what is so dishonourable about that?....................snip)
Mate, your full quote would have some form of basis in the defense of Raiola especially with regards to the use of the word dishonorable.

Thing is I would say that the monies Raiola earns for 'looking out' for his clients is far from honorable.

Your post makes it look like Raiola is some sort of saint.............hes not he is out to make big money and he achieves that through means that are far from honorable.

Last edited:

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
You do realise De Light played against us in the Europa league final that year? I think United fans at least have known about him for a long time.

Of course I do, it was I think the first game I saw him playing. What I meant is that when it was off the radar of most people it was already been followed and dealt by juve. At the time he was not the focus of attention of anybody, even last summer you did not even have a open thread about him while Juve tried to buy him so what Raiola is telling is not incredible.

As for the other young CB we bought that puzzles many people, there is no mistery Juve needs to fill two slots because Barzagli and Caceres have left and Chiellini with one year more will play less than 30-35 games. We actually also bought Romero who is another young promising CB who is doing the medicals today but will go on loan to play back in Genoa. That is also part of Juve strategy to buy young players that in most cases will be used to generate profits in trades when not good enough to wear the shirt

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
So Ian McGary is claiming on the "Transfer Window" Podcast that Mino Raiola has again met with Ed Woodward and proposed the transfer of his client Matthijs de Ligt to Manchester United. According to him, the player's terms have been agreed with Juventus and they feel a deal can be reached with Ajax however Juventus are refusing to pay the large agent fee and that has held up the deal. Manchester United are however cautious given the situation which has transpired with Paul Pogba and are reluctant to push ahead with such a deal.

https://play.acast.com/s/thetransferwindow/8a4e294f-ad42-4c80-9ad5-105cb7723dca
that is clearly BS, Raiola has confirmed the players has agreed terms with Juve and wants to move there, if his fee was not agreed rest assured that Raiola would not have gone overboard to claim that. These days when you deal with Raiola and Mendes of this world the fee is part of the players acquisition costs, it would be silly to deal the player terms and the transfer fee without having first agreed the agent's fee

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
This part is just utter nonsense. If there was a gentlemans agreement with Ajax why was a fee agreed with Barca and personal terms negotiated without Juve submitting a bid? Why did PSG then meet the asking price and also negotiate with de Ligt and Raiola? In the event that your agreement existed that deal would have been one of the first things Juve took care of at the end of the season and the player would not have been in discussion with so many other clubs.

I think he will go to Juve but the fact remains Ajax have set a very reasonable fee of 75m and at least 3 other clubs are happy to pay that, it is cheap and a little disrespectful for Juve to bid below the asking price at this point and with the player still under contract Ajax can refuse to negotiate until Juve stop messing about. Ajax don't need to sell him so they can easily tell de Ligt that he is free to negotiate with the clubs who have met the asking price or he can stay in Amsterdam another year and try again in 2020. Juve and Raiola have no leverage here.
On the contrary it is makes utter sense!.
First of all it is not at all confirmed that terms were agreed with Barca, this is what Spanish press said and it is not necessarily true as it is clearly not true what some English tabloid are claiming that Raiola is dealing the player to MU.
Secondly even if it was true, and I do not think it is, Barca had not made an offer last year like Juve did (and that bit is sure) so maybe they agreed last year that if this year he still wanted Juve and brought that offer they would have let him go.
That is what Raiola is saying, I have no way to be sure it is true but it does fit with quite a few of the other known facts and timeline and Juve offer.

Also Barca's president has recently claimed that he knew where de ligt was going since March and that seems to suggest too that it was not Barca and that he had a previous agreement with somebody else

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I frankly find hilarious the outrage and name calling by so many fans at Juve -Ajax negotiations.

BTW juve was following De Ligt since 2 years ago so much so that he was invited to visit the training facilities when he was in Turin for an award over 18 months ago, that's when most of you did not even know about his existence.

Last year they already made an offer for 30 M before his stellar season and it was rejected (now it seems based on a gentlemen agreement that Ajax is reneging) . Now there is no particular scandal in trying to stick to that agreement nor from Ajax point of view in trying to get more out of the deal based on last season, bearing in mind that the package Raiola was able to agree for de ligt was also based on the assumption that Ajax stuck to the deal. Now they will probably find a middle ground but that is just a normal negotiation.

I guess for some here it would be more elegant to just cough up whatever the counterpart comes up with, but I do not think it is a great way to manage successfully a club.

As for Raiola he is no angel, nor devil, there is a reason why many top players get him as an agent, and there are quite a few that have not necessarily moved around like Nedved or Hamsik or Donnarumma. If Pogba wanted to stay, he stayed, I doubt it is Raiola that decided in his place.

ahahahahahahah that was the fecking golden boy award less than a year ago!

Also Ajax turned down a €65m offer last summer so I don't know who you're trying to impress.

Arogantni

Supports
Zeljeznicar
Nonetheless is not wrong. De Ligt visited Juventus training ground, Continassa, museum and facilities last year when Italy faced with Netherland in friendly game. He was invited from Paratici and Nedved to do that and he accepted. He was only Netherland player who was invited from Juventus to take Juventus tour (visiting all important buildings, museum, facilities, stadium, press conference office and so on). I'm sure that important people of Juventus have had de Ligt on pick few years ago from moment when he debut for Ajax and that they worked in silence with him and Raiola.

Acquire Me

And as for the whole Raiola offering him to us? Yeah sure. Offer De Ligt on one hand while causing a stupid amount of problems with Pogba on the other. Makes sense.
He should announce his choice now. Everything with Raiola takes so much time.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

two deals would, however, mean two fees and that's all that matters to Raiola (not that I'm saying De L will end up with us)

Mr. Meeseeks

Mate, your full quote would have some form of basis in the defense of Raiola especially with regards to the use of the word dishonorable.

Thing is I would say that the monies Raiola earns for 'looking out' for his clients is far from honorable.

Your post makes it look like Raiola is some sort of saint.............hes not he is out to make big money and he achieves that through means that are far from honorable.
I never called him a saint. But you don't have to be a saint to avoid being called a fat pig/slimy rat or whatever other insult I have seen thrown at him. I was merely making the point that it is not appropriate to insult someone simply for doing their job properly, even if you don't like what they are doing. As long as the person abides by all the ethics of their profession, they are doing good work.

It is not Raiola's job to make football fans feel comfortable. It is his job to look after his clients. If you have evidence of him ever mistreating his clients or forcing them to make moves they didn't want, then present it. Until that happens, I will continue to view all the hate thrown at him as inappropriate.

Hating him because he is making a ton of money also just reflects badly on you. I cannot see it being anything other than envy. Raiola is just like any other smart businessman. He picks up good talent because he has an eye for it, and the clubs that are desperate to sign that talent go on to reward him with riches. I don't see what is dishonourable about that.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Nonetheless is not wrong. De Ligt visited Juventus training ground, Continassa, museum and facilities last year when Italy faced with Netherland in friendly game. He was invited from Paratici and Nedved to do that and he accepted. He was only Netherland player who was invited from Juventus to take Juventus tour (visiting all important buildings, museum, facilities, stadium, press conference office and so on). I'm sure that important people of Juventus have had de Ligt on pick few years ago from moment when he debut for Ajax and that they worked in silence with him and Raiola.
Raiola wasn't his agent when he made his debut. Raiola's only been his (co-)agent since spring of last year.

and it still is wrong to suggest that Juve were somehow dealing with some 'unknown teenager before he blew up' at whatever point of his first team career at Ajax. He was a Dutch international before he played the Europa League final in 2017 even

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
BTW juve was following De Ligt since 2 years ago so much so that he was invited to visit the training facilities when he was in Turin for an award over 18 months ago, that's when most of you did not even know about his existence.
:lol: Nonetheless your post is hilarious and just nonsense.

roonster09

Scout
Of course I do, it was I think the first game I saw him playing. What I meant is that when it was off the radar of most people it was already been followed and dealt by juve. At the time he was not the focus of attention of anybody, even last summer you did not even have a open thread about him while Juve tried to buy him so what Raiola is telling is not incredible.

As for the other young CB we bought that puzzles many people, there is no mistery Juve needs to fill two slots because Barzagli and Caceres have left and Chiellini with one year more will play less than 30-35 games. We actually also bought Romero who is another young promising CB who is doing the medicals today but will go on loan to play back in Genoa. That is also part of Juve strategy to buy young players that in most cases will be used to generate profits in trades when not good enough to wear the shirt

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/matthijs-de-ligt-ajax-cb.429524/

Thread from 2 years ago.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
:lol: Nonetheless your post is hilarious and just nonsense.
the dissonance of on the one hand no one supposedly having heard of him and on the other him being there to receive the award for biggest talent in Europe is hilarious :lol:

roonster09

Scout
the dissonance of on the one hand no one supposedly having heard of him and on the other him being there to receive the award for biggest talent in Europe is hilarious :lol:
Exactly. De Ligt was not some hidden gem, he was highly rated player from long back and most fans who read bit of articles heard about him from more than 2 years back.

Sterling Archer

Wait...what? Isn't that tapping up a player?

imamuppet

I never called him a saint. But you don't have to be a saint to avoid being called a fat pig/slimy rat or whatever other insult I have seen thrown at him. I was merely making the point that it is not appropriate to insult someone simply for doing their job properly, even if you don't like what they are doing. As long as the person abides by all the ethics of their profession, they are doing good work.

It is not Raiola's job to make football fans feel comfortable. It is his job to look after his clients. If you have evidence of him ever mistreating his clients or forcing them to make moves they didn't want, then present it. Until that happens, I will continue to view all the hate thrown at him as inappropriate.

Hating him because he is making a ton of money also just reflects badly on you. I cannot see it being anything other than envy. Raiola is just like any other smart businessman. He picks up good talent because he has an eye for it, and the clubs that are desperate to sign that talent go on to reward him with riches. I don't see what is dishonourable about that.
Hi, shall we just stick to the main point of my reply to your post which basically honed into the use of the word dishonorable ?

Im not one to throw names at people (check my post history), so if you have a gripe with those people who do you should take that up with them.

Now sticking to you answer, it makes me proud to be seen as being 'reflected on badly' because I have some morals, has nothing to do with envy.

As to your analysis on why he is good at what he does, I never doubted that, my issues (getting back to the point in hand).

dishonourable

showing lack of honor or integrity; ignoble; base; disgraceful; shameful: Cheating is dishonorable.
having no honor or good repute; unprincipled; disreputable: a dishonorable man.

Taking 10's of millions of pounds to act as a medium between two parties to me is dishonorable.

To you it seems it is not.

I have no issue with that and neither should you

Mr. Meeseeks

Hi, shall we just stick to the main point of my reply to your post which basically honed into the use of the word dishonorable ?

Im not one to throw names at people (check my post history), so if you have a gripe with those people who do you should take that up with them.

Now sticking to you answer, it makes me proud to be seen as being 'reflected on badly' because I have some morals, has nothing to do with envy.

As to your analysis on why he is good at what he does, I never doubted that, my issues (getting back to the point in hand).

dishonourable

showing lack of honor or integrity; ignoble; base; disgraceful; shameful: Cheating is dishonorable.
having no honor or good repute; unprincipled; disreputable: a dishonorable man.

Taking 10's of millions of pounds to act as a medium between two parties to me is dishonorable.

To you it seems it is not.

I have no issue with that and neither should you
Well then it seems that your problem lies with the Football Agent profession in general and not with Raiola personally. They're all paid millions of pounds to act as a medium. I dont see that Raiola has done anything particularly egregious that other agents dont routinely do as part of their profession.

Also, there is a big difference between "taking 10's of millions of pounds" and being paid 10s of millions of pounds. Raiola isnt taking the money by force, it is being given to him voluntarily by clubs in exchange for his services in engineering transfers. If you can call that dishonourable, then we will have to agree to disagree.

gulli_G

Might as well lock this thread, he's going Juve:

See the comment on reddit below, her brother signed for a German club:

https://www.reddit.com/r/muppetiers/comments/caooa3/-/etcxr5o

Okay MDL is going to Juventus. It’s my opinion but it is based on some evidence

They had a farewell dinner, I’m guessing at annekee place And well there were two flags in the picture. A German flag and......an Italian flag and you can see de ligt in the photo as well....I am officially sad. But I hope we get maguire now and we all can move past this together

Edit: The German flag is for the brother I’m guessing and the Italian flag. Well you can guess that

Edit 2: [de ligt bbq]

Ventura

Nah, we have a number of resident experts who are adamant he's signing for us. No worries there.

Le Red

/thread
I was already beginning to think Maguire is a better deal anyway.

PS. 260 pages and all is destroyed by a mini flag :lol:

Sterling Archer

Thread title change please:

Old Lady taps 15 year old Dutch wunderkid. Raiola officially receives his pimp badge.

redshaw

Probably staying and they just tossed the flags in the bush.

Just hope for Ajax sake they have got the full 75m off that sneaky old lady.

Sjaakmeoff

Might as well lock this thread, he's going Juve:

See the comment on reddit below, her brother signed for a German club:

https://www.reddit.com/r/muppetiers/comments/caooa3/-/etcxr5o

Okay MDL is going to Juventus. It’s my opinion but it is based on some evidence

They had a farewell dinner, I’m guessing at annekee place And well there were two flags in the picture. A German flag and......an Italian flag and you can see de ligt in the photo as well....I am officially sad. But I hope we get maguire now and we all can move past this together

Edit: The German flag is for the brother I’m guessing and the Italian flag. Well you can guess that

Edit 2: [de ligt bbq]

Good to see Sjaak Swart is still attending these bbq's.

imamuppet

Well then it seems that your problem lies with the Football Agent profession in general and not with Raiola personally. They're all paid millions of pounds to act as a medium. I dont see that Raiola has done anything particularly egregious that other agents dont routinely do as part of their profession.

Also, there is a big difference between "taking 10's of millions of pounds" and being paid 10s of millions of pounds. Raiola isnt taking the money by force, it is being given to him voluntarily by clubs in exchange for his services in engineering transfers. If you can call that dishonourable, then we will have to agree to disagree.
Your first point, yeah, I agree with that. I never specifically said my argument was against only Raiola, its just that he was the focus of your initial post that I partially quoted.

Your second point, im not one to get pedantic just to put a point across, as you feel you need this discretion then yeah, me bad, I should have said 'paid' instead of 'taking', my point (from my POV) still stands.

Finally, as we have seemed to agree to disagree.

My general issue is the 'free market' economies where we live, which are far from honorable and more towards dishonorable.

Two example below (this is off topic, its just to emphasize, why I see super agents as dishonorable people.)

A person who is selfless but never blessed with monetary wealth dies, what is remembered about them? Apart from their close family, friends, probably not alot.

A person who is selfish but is blessed with a large amount of monetary wealth, gar-nerd through their selfishness, what is remembered about them? Apart from their close family, friends, people will remember the huge wealth they acquired, issues about that persons character; well most people wouldn't care.

This is whats elementary wrong in many facets of the societies we live in, super agents are a perfect example of the selfishness that is prevalent.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s comforting to read that Barca now consider Lindelof the next best alternative to De Ligt. Unless he goes there, of course. That wouldn’t be comforting.

nonetheless

Supports
Juve
Wait...what? Isn't that tapping up a player?
I doubt there is a single professional club in the world that does not contact a transfer target before starting negotiations with the other club and I doubt even more that Ajax would take offence at something like that given their strategy to develop and sell their players. That putting aside the fact that since this was an almost public outing it is quite likely that in this case a formal communication or a courtesy call was made to Van der Saar who knows personally and is friend with all Juve management.
In most cases this is not done because sport directors speak with agents so let's not kid ourselves and try to look like Virgin Marys here :cool:

Last edited:

arthurka

Who gives a shit anymore.
I personally don´t want more Riola clients on our books, hope we don´t dig ourselves another hole.
Would take Maguire over him at this point.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I doubt there is a single professional club in the world that does not contact a transfer target before starting negotiations with the other club and I doubt even more that Ajax would take offence at something like that given their strategy to develop and sell their players. That putting aside the fact that since this was an almost public outing it is quite likely that in this case a formal communication or a courtesy call was made to Van der Saar who knows personally and is friend with all Juve management.
In most cases this is not done because sport directors speak with agents so let's not kid ourselves and try to look like Virgin Marys here :cool:
There is a difference between making contact with an agent and saying “Would he consider joining us?” And giving a kid the grand tour.
But like you say most clubs do something. Fergie used to send birthday cards to Mexes for example

Mr. Meeseeks

Your first point, yeah, I agree with that. I never specifically said my argument was against only Raiola, its just that he was the focus of your initial post that I partially quoted.

Your second point, im not one to get pedantic just to put a point across, as you feel you need this discretion then yeah, me bad, I should have said 'paid' instead of 'taking', my point (from my POV) still stands.

Finally, as we have seemed to agree to disagree.

My general issue is the 'free market' economies where we live, which are far from honorable and more towards dishonorable.

Two example below (this is off topic, its just to emphasize, why I see super agents as dishonorable people.)

A person who is selfless but never blessed with monetary wealth dies, what is remembered about them? Apart from their close family, friends, probably not alot.

A person who is selfish but is blessed with a large amount of monetary wealth, gar-nerd through their selfishness, what is remembered about them? Apart from their close family, friends, people will remember the huge wealth they acquired, issues about that persons character; well most people wouldn't care.

This is whats elementary wrong in many facets of the societies we live in, super agents are a perfect example of the selfishness that is prevalent.
I agree with you that the way we set up our economies doesn’t seem to reward our best people. I think a whole lot of dishourable people have contributed in setting it up, and mostly the economy seems to benefit them exclusively.

I see where you are coming from. Agents don’t seem to do much to earn their millions. They do nothing but hang on the coat tails of their clients.

But I don’t judge the individuals who find success playing the economics game. They may well be honest, kind and loving people who make all that money to give to their children.

I would prefer it if agents didn’t exist and we lived in a fair world where ones wealth reflected their contribution to society. It is the system that is fecked up. The people in it may be good or bad, but I think that you shouldn’t judge anyone until you get to know them as individuals (hopefully we also agree on that point).

Also: feck that Irish/Italian flag. Part of me was really hoping we would get De Ligt. But alas it seems that the dream is definitely over. To the Maguire thread.. :(

Ooge_

Supports
Werder
It´s a good move for Juve and De Ligt. Juve forces short term success and De Ligt is already at a high level. I am not a friend of long term planning in football. "Build a (young) team, which can win something in three years" is not working. First you need get to the top, then you have to stay there. You don´t do that with "one step back, to take two steps forward" thinking. Milan, ManUtd and now Bayern did this wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.