Matthijs de Ligt / signs for Juventus, lowering their average age to 56

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
Great comeback, hitting me right where it hurts :lol:

You actually provided just another example that going to the Premier League guarantees exactly nothing regarding the development of a player.
Disagree. The Premier League offers the perfect platform of competition to better one's self if you have the right attitude and ability to learn. You only get better from being pushed to your limits. Look at Liverpool this season, if City and Liverpool hadn't pushed each other there's no way we'd have seen the point tally come the end of the season.

That competitive nature ultimately gave Liverpool the belief to go on and win the CL. We've also got that and the fact that both European finals were completely English teams.

Decomposing In Paris

Perhaps he's being encouraged to have a career like Ibrahimovic? At 20 years old he might well have won the Dutch and French Leagues... If he signs a 4 year contract he'll be subject to a huge bidding war at 23. He could then sign for whoever is most likely to win the PL without him, and stay for the duration of his contract at the time in his career that he is physically most able to handle such a league. Then at 28 he goes to Real/Barca on a free but with a large signing bonus, where he's in a strong position to negotiate an expensive, but relatively short contract... which he'll then see out, before moving on to Juventus or Bayern to coast to another title win, and go down in history for winning 5 of the 6 big leagues. We tend to think about players moving to a club and seeking to become Legends there, but some have a different, and frankly, far more lucrative perspective.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
There was a point last season around Christmas time when PSG were 13 points clear with two games in hand...
And City were 15 points clear around Christmas 2 seasons ago...

Disagree. The Premier League offers the perfect platform of competition to better one's self if you have the right attitude and ability to learn. You only get better from being pushed to your limits. Look at Liverpool this season, if City and Liverpool hadn't pushed each other there's no way we'd have seen the point tally come the end of the season.

That competitive nature ultimately gave Liverpool the belief to go on and win the CL. We've also got that and the fact that both European finals were completely English teams.
You mean like when nobody pushed them two seasons ago but they still finished on more points than they did this season?

Liverpool could've just as easily won the CL two seasons ago when they didn't have a "competitive nature" in the league and barely finished fourth. Points remains that there is no factual or statistical evidence whatsoever that the Premier League is better for developing youth compared to other European leagues.

crossy1686

career ending
And City were 15 points clear around Christmas 2 seasons ago...

You mean like when nobody pushed them two seasons ago but they still finished on more points than they did this season?

Liverpool could've just as easily won the CL two seasons ago when they didn't have a "competitive nature" in the league and barely finished fourth. Points remains that there is no factual or statistical evidence whatsoever that the Premier League is better for developing youth compared to other European leagues.
This is a waste of time.

I'll just concede that you're right and the French league is as good as the Premier League in every way, if not better. PSG are giants of the game who every players dreams of playing for and United are relegation fodder.

Oh, and PSG are still a million years behind Liverpool.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
There is no news on him anymore (except that he is going to PSG), what exactly are you guys arguing about?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
This is a waste of time.

I'll just concede that you're right and the French league is as good as the Premier League in every way, if not better. PSG are giants of the game who every players dreams of playing for and United are relegation fodder.

Oh, and PSG are still a million years behind Liverpool.
The French league doesn't have to be as good as the Premier league and it obviously isn't but a little bit of balance doesn't hurt, things aren't binary they are not good or shit.

Nialinho

I think if this was to come off, it would be another example of Woodward going for the shiniest new toy available on the market. Don't get me wrong I think he's a great player and has potential to be an absolute beast, but bringing in a 19 year old who isn't the finished article into a defense with Smalling, Jones and Lindelof? The step up from the dutch league will be huge and fans will be expecting him to be Van Dijk-esq instantly, which he won't be. The ideal scenario would be to get him and Maguire but if it's one or the other, I'd actually go for slabhead.

roonster09

Scout
The fact that there's no new news doesn't mean that there is nothing to argue about, man. Which is what you were asking.
I was asking what is the argument about when there is no news on ManUtd, not that there shouldn't be any argument. I read few posts (well not read, too much to read) and didn't understand what anyone is even arguing about.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I was asking what is the argument about when there is no news on ManUtd, not that there shouldn't be any argument. I read few posts (well not read, too much to read) and didn't understand what anyone is even arguing about.
Whether the French league is equal to/worse than the Premier League for developing yourself as a young player, basically :)

JPRouve

Scout
A poster suggested that signing for PSG was a career ender and that player don't develop in France which is the equivalent of the Scottish league.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Great comeback, hitting me right where it hurts :lol:

You actually provided just another example that going to the Premier League guarantees exactly nothing regarding the development of a player.
I'm not entirely sure what you expected after your Martial comment which was equally as pathetic

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
This saga still rolling on? Can he just move to Barca already and get it over with so I dont see articles clogging up my news feed about De Ligt. First world problems.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not entirely sure what you expected after your Martial comment which was equally as pathetic
Was it? That wasn't even meant as a dig, just as a counter-example that going to the Premier League as a young talent doesn't guarantee you anything compared to other leagues. It was a fair example. Markovic is obviously a good example as well.

JPRouve

Scout
Was it? That wasn't even meant as a dig, just as a counter-example that going to the Premier League as a young talent doesn't guarantee you anything compared to other leagues. It was a fair example. Markovic is obviously a good example as well.
There are plenty of examples for all clubs, Barcelona have an awful track record in the last decade. Players like Coutinho, André Gomes, Dembélé, Alcacer, Malcom or even their own players like Rafinha haven't really developed. I personally don't think that he should go to PSG, I don't see the point for him or the club, the latter should spend that money in midfield, but to suggest that moving to clubs that have actually destroyed or stagnated multiple careers is a clear better choice is weird.

You could also say that about Real Madrid, Odriozola and Asensio fell off the face of earth.

roonster09

Scout
There are plenty of examples for all clubs, Barcelona have an awful track record in the last decade. Players like Coutinho, André Gomes, Dembélé, Alcacer, Malcom or even their own players like Rafinha haven't really developed. I personally don't think that he should go to PSG, I don't see the point for him or the club, the latter should spend that money in midfield, but to suggest that moving to clubs that have actually destroyed or stagnated multiple careers is a clear better choice is weird.

You could also say that about Real Madrid, Odriozola and Asensio fell off the face of earth.
Tuchel really wanted midfielders so badly isn't it, on top that Paredes didn't play as good as expected.

Also isn't Kimpembe good CB? He made mistakes but his general play and defending looked good when I watched him play. Marquinhos was one of the biggest defensive talent when he was at Roma, now he has played few games as DM.

IMO they should play Marquinhos as CB and invest money for a CM. If money isn't a problem then they can just buy De Ligt and also CMs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Moving to france would be a great move if he moved to Lyon instead of PSG. The challenge should be to unsurp PSG as championships. He would also play plenty of games and could still get his move to a big club when he's 22.

Winning one title at Lyon would be be more prestigious than winning 10 bought by Nasser El Khelafi.

JPRouve

Scout
Tuchel really wanted midfielders so badly isn't it, on top that Paredes didn't play as good as expected.

Also isn't Kimpembe good CB? He made mistakes but his general play and defending looked good when I watched him play. Marquinhos was one of the biggest defensive talent when he was at Roma, now he has played few games as DM.

IMO they should play Marquinhos as CB and invest money for a CM. If money isn't a problem then they can just buy De Ligt and also CMs.
Tuchel does want midfielders and Paredes costed a fortune while not being better than Lo Celso who they let go, though it was maybe a decision made by Tuchel. Currently they basically have Verratti, Paredes and Nkunku as actual midfielders and potentially Marquinhos and Di Maria as makeshift options. It would make more sense to purchase an actual midfielder or two and put Marquinhos in his actual position but PSG have rarely made sense since Leonardo left.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Moving to france would be a great move if he moved to Lyon instead of PSG. The challenge should be to unsurp PSG as championships. He would also play plenty of games and could still get his move to a big club when he's 22.

Winning one title at Lyon would be be more prestigious than winning 10 bought by Nasser El Khelafi.
Did I miss something here - since when do top players join subtop clubs just for the challenge? Let alone the fact that he wouldn't even get paid half of what he stands to earn at PSG.

roonster09

Scout
Tuchel does want midfielders and Paredes costed a fortune while not being better than Lo Celso who they let go, though it was maybe a decision made by Tuchel. Currently they basically have Verratti, Paredes and Nkunku as actual midfielders and potentially Marquinhos and Di Maria as makeshift options. It would make more sense to purchase an actual midfielder or two and put Marquinhos in his actual position but PSG have rarely made sense since Leonardo left.
He is back now isn't it?

Yeah remember reading Tuchel was desperate for a CM.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Did I miss something here - since when do top players join subtop clubs just for the challenge? Let alone the fact that he wouldn't even get paid half of what he stands to earn at PSG.
The player says he wants a challenge and wants maximum game time to develop. Lyon ticks both boxes in France. He also has stated money in not a factor in his decision.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
The player says he wants a challenge and wants maximum game time to develop. Lyon ticks both boxes in France. He also has stated money in not a factor in his decision.
Well then he's either a liar or not joining PSG imo.

JPRouve

Scout
He is back now isn't it?

Yeah remember reading Tuchel was desperate for a CM.
He is but I'm not sure if he is totally in charge at the moment, I suppose that some targets have been picked by the club months ago and if the rumours about De Ligt are true it's probably the type of transfers that you prepare in advance. If I remember correctly when PSG were after De Jong, De Ligt was also a topic in the negotiations.

roonster09

Scout
He is but I'm not sure if he is totally in charge at the moment, I suppose that some targets have been picked by the club months ago and if the rumours about De Ligt are true it's probably the type of transfers that you prepare in advance. If I remember correctly when PSG were after De Jong, De Ligt was also a topic in the negotiations.
What about Kimpembe? Is he not highly rated? Like I said, I have seen him do few mistakes but overall he looked good player. If I'm not wrong he was called up for NT too.

JPRouve

Scout
What about Kimpembe? Is he not highly rated? Like I said, I have seen him do few mistakes but overall he looked good player. If I'm not wrong he was called up for NT too.
He is good but he needs to learn how to maintain his focus, he has the bad habits of thinking that he is Beckenbauer and try the most ridiculous things near his own box.

nainaisson

I only post twice in this thread, to say the same thing; congratulations, he's ours.
According to reliable reports, his girlfriend and mother were seen house-hunting in Paris. So if he's planning on joining United, it means his girlfriend and mother are running away together. Losing your girlfriend to your own mother is harsh, so I kinda hope for his sake that they're house-hunting in Paris because he's already agreed to join PSG.

roonster09

Scout
He is good but he needs to learn how to maintain his focus, he has the bad habits of thinking that he is Beckenbauer and try the most ridiculous things near his own box.
Thanks. Hopefully PSG make a dumb move and sell marquinhos if they sign De Ligt, with Manutd doing everything to land him.

Ultimate_L

If I am correct, does Tuchel not use Draxler in a central position also?

JPRouve

Scout
If I am correct, does Tuchel not use Draxler in a central position also?
Draxler is an utility player, he plays everywhere but doesn't really have a position. He mainly played there with the second string of players when Verratti needs a rest or when he was injured. PSG lacks a bonafide starter next to Verratti.

croadyman

Someone suggested this is all part of the Woodward/Raiola power move that happened with Pogba also.

Basically, he's already agreed to sign for us, Woodward and Raiola have that deal done.
Raiola then pimps him around Europe, getting other clubs involved, getting the media involved, working up a storm of interest and social media interaction around the world, ensuring the world is watching.
Then boom, out of no where, United unveil the signing when rumours about him about to sign for another club surface.
Everyone wins, Raiola earns his agent fees, United get the player and it's a perceived show of strength to the rest of Europe.
I keep hoping that this is the case but like others have said there just seems far too much smoke about PSG, particularly the rumours about Raiola being in Paris a couple of days ago and his mum/girlfriend supposedly house hunting too.

Unlike Pogba in 2016 I fear that this one isn't going to go our way but admire people that are still retaining slim hopes that Mino is playing his usual mind games with the media.

Reactions: Carolina Red

gr3yham3

According to reliable reports, his girlfriend and mother were seen house-hunting in Paris. So if he's planning on joining United, it means his girlfriend and mother are running away together. Losing your girlfriend to your own mother is harsh, so I kinda hope for his sake that they're house-hunting in Paris because he's already agreed to join PSG.
I know it's from reliable sources, but there were no pictures of them at all. Also, isn't de ligt in Miami? His girlfriend should be with him, no?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
He has Draxler too who he has been using in midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.