Memphis Depay 2.0 as no. 9

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
i have another theory ....

when hes playing shite or things are not looking his way the people that always think hes crap start posting and the ones who believe in him stay silent

when hes playing well his believers come out the woodwork and praise his name while those who think hes crap go into hiding. Just a theory
Stop this, it's not fun not viewing the forum as a monolithic whole. Yes, no.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
Think we will sign him in Jan, and think its an acceptable option for depth.

scottser

Barcelona are mad to get rid, we'd get him for a net of footballs and a set of jerseys. He'll be hungry too. Its a no brainer to me.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
I would love him to join United, get number 7 and do Siu celebration everytime he scores a goal and pretend he's Ronaldo, remake every Ronaldo chant into his chant. Then one day he releases a new rap album and its Piers Morgan that interviews and promotes his album.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Wait, people are bumping this thread and giving opionons based on one world cup game?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
To be fair most threads are bumped from frivolous reasons like these
I can understand with young players, people pretend they've seen them but change their opinion based on actually finally watching them. With Depay, he is 28, I am pretty sure everyone here knows what kind of player he is already, even if he is player of the tournament we know what kind of player we would get.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I can understand with young players, people pretend they've seen them but change their opinion based on actually finally watching them. With Depay, he is 28, I am pretty sure everyone here knows what kind of player he is already, even if he is player of the tournament we know what kind of player we would get.
Yeah I don't want him for what its worth. He doesn't improve our squad in my opinion. Garnacho Rashford martial and Antony are better for me. Gakpo I'd take over Depay because I think he's already offering more and he's got a higher ceiling / sell on potential and all that.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Wait, people are bumping this thread and giving opionons based on one world cup game?
Are thread bumps to be reserved when players win a Ballon D'or or something? It's been discussed for a long time and he just had a great game in a high pressure world cup game!

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
His hold up play has got better, it's true. But he's just not a No.9, and that's what we need

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
He's wank, next.
Soon to be the top scorer of all time for Holland, whilst having strikers such as Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy, Van Basten, Kluivert etc, he is clearly not 'wank'.

He is not the level of striker to be starting every week, to take the club back to the top, but there are worse options for depth, especially for peanuts.

68cob

Soon to be the top scorer of all time for Holland, whilst having strikers such as Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy, Van Basten, Kluivert etc, he is clearly not 'wank'.
His goals have come in a pretty unsuccessful period in Holland's history though. I wouldn't like him back.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He wouldn't be a bad option off the bench if he's cheap honestly. Not sure he wants to be a bench player though and he's too inconsistent to start for United.

NoPace

Do not want, he is shite. There are better stop gap options such as Giroud.
I don't think Milan will give us Giroud for a couple million. Barca would probably take that for getting Memphis' wages off the books this last 6 months.

bringbackbebe

I don't think Milan will give us Giroud for a couple million. Barca would probably take that for getting Memphis' wages off the books this last 6 months.
What is the point of getting a player because he's cheap and available if he doesn't suit our long term requirement? It'll be repeat of DVB storyline.

NoPace

What is the point of getting a player because he's cheap and available if he doesn't suit our long term requirement? It'll be repeat of DVB storyline.
I don't think we're going to get our long term #9 in January, unless Ten Hag is confident that overpaying 15-20M for a guy like Gouiri or Ramos is worth it.

So 6 months of Memphis seems fine to me. He's doing well as a lone striker for a Dutch team and manager and his scoring record since he left us is as good as a guy like Giroud's.

Not sure there's a realistic better case scenario than us signing Memphis for 6 months and then buying an expensive #9 in the summer, and I'd say there's even a 25% or so chance that Memphis is a great fit here and we can sign him on a free for 2 years and just spend huge at #8, CB, GK and RB in the summer with the money saved, and we really have no idea if Martial will stay healthy so we might actually need two #9s.

Judas

Open to offers

He is not the level of striker to be starting every week, to take the club back to the top, but there are worse options for depth, especially for peanuts.
Had to look this up as I couldn't believe, and he is indeed only 7 of RVN. Scary, shows how weak international football truly is. To think he's managed that while the Netherlands have gone through a truly average period shows you the standard of the teams you face during qualifiers etc.

Erik the Red

Had to look this up as I couldn't believe, and he is indeed only 7 of RVN. Scary, shows how weak international football truly is. To think he's managed that while the Netherlands have gone through a truly average period shows you the standard of the teams you face during qualifiers etc.
The Nations League means that there are far more international games than in the past. Previously top players would try to avoid meaningless friendlies, but I think we can expect to see more international scoring records being broken.

Drizzle

I don't think we're going to get our long term #9 in January, unless Ten Hag is confident that overpaying 15-20M for a guy like Gouiri or Ramos is worth it.

So 6 months of Memphis seems fine to me. He's doing well as a lone striker for a Dutch team and manager and his scoring record since he left us is as good as a guy like Giroud's.

Not sure there's a realistic better case scenario than us signing Memphis for 6 months and then buying an expensive #9 in the summer, and I'd say there's even a 25% or so chance that Memphis is a great fit here and we can sign him on a free for 2 years and just spend huge at #8, CB, GK and RB in the summer with the money saved, and we really have no idea if Martial will stay healthy so we might actually need two #9s.
That's exactly where I am. I've said before, but we must understand that a January striker is not going to be our main striker purchase which will be presumably in the summer.

So January options must be (a) cheap/loan so it doesn't cut into our summer budget too much, (b) available, and (c) a decent/good number 9 option (we're unlikely to get an excellent player due to (a) above).

Depay hits all three. It does NOT mean that he's our dream striker, it's just a practical solution to a short-term problem.

Incidentally, Gakpo fails on (a) and possibly even (c) depending on how confident you are he can quickly transition to number 9 in a new and higher quality league.

Zoo

Look where Depay is. Pretty impressive.

Mbappe is a freak.

redcucumber

Look where Depay is. Pretty impressive.

Mbappe is a freak.
How do these stats indicate Mbappe is a freak? His numbers are high because they get the ball to him often and because defenders stay close to him. He's obviously a great player, I just don't understand why these numbers are particularly revealing of anything.

lysglimt

Scout
Dont know about the others - but I base it on the fact that he will be very cheap, he is only 28 years old - and the fact the he has scored almost 80 league goals in his last 170 matches for clubs in France and Spain.
If he costs £50 million - I would not want him - but he will be available for maybe half or a third of that - or even better on a loan. No brainer for me in the situation we are in.

If the board releases funds to get a top-top striker - I would not want Memphis, but that is rather unlikely

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How do these stats indicate Mbappe is a freak? His numbers are high because they get the ball to him often and because defenders stay close to him. He's obviously a great player, I just don't understand why these numbers are particularly revealing of anything.
I think it's probably illustrating more that he's quite comfortable at receiving the ball very frequently under high pressure. That's not an easy trait to have, and it's shown by the fact he's pretty much alone in that quadrant of the graph.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Soon to be the top scorer of all time for Holland, whilst having strikers such as Van Persie, Van Nistelrooy, Van Basten, Kluivert etc
Is there a top NT whose all-time top scorer isn't someone playing for them these last few years?

Off the top of my head, it's only Spain still having Raúl there