Memphis Depay | Atletico player

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It might be hard for a 30 year old who has fully grown into his body and optimized his muscle mass

Not so for a still growing 20 year old

The argument here is that in the PL, he was often asked to isolate on the wing, take the FB on, beat him, and run at the defence. While he could do that in the eredivisie to some success, that was because of the quality of atheletes he came up against. In the PL, or indeed any top league, he never could play like that because he was never explosive enough for it. He could get a meter of separation with his first move, but then he'd lose it within the next two steps because he lacked the top end acceleration to keep the defender behind him. Even now, if he was asked to do that at barcelona, he'd fail. And he knows it, too, which is why he developed a different skillset

He'd suit any side, so long as he's played as a false 9 or creative support striker, asked to play with his back to goal and use his bottomless bag of flicks, tricks, lofted passes and shooting near the box for quick combinations, through balls and goals

He can't do what Sterling, Bernardo Silva or Mahrez do
Let's be real, Depay didn't add 5kg of muscles, it was more like half fats and half muscles.

Training to get stronger as a professional player is hard during the season because with all the multiple games they've ongoing, most of their gym work done during the season is for recovery.

It's only in the off season that they can start to put on the muscles but 5kg of pure muscles over a 6 weeks period is undoable unless he never touched any weights before in his life.

You didnt include assists and now for some reason excluded his performances for national teams.

Also with Messi I meant just the previous two seasons, not his overall career which is ofcourse fantastic.

Same for someone like Bruno by the way.
His national team performances are in the post right above. If you want to go and exclude those during his United spell be my guest, but its not going to make much difference. At no point in his career has he been effective against top teams, not just when he was with us. That might change but he's nearly 28 now, it's getting less and less likely.

Bruno is a different player in a different position. It's not his main job to be the one who puts the ball in the net.

How are you establishing what is a "top team."
Fairly rudimentary, who are the biggest clubs across the main leagues. You can get more scientific if you like or argue against the likes of the current Ajax and Milan but I'd say the majority of them are there.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Let's be real, Depay didn't add 5kg of muscles, it was more like half fats and half muscles.

Training to get stronger as a professional player is hard during the season because with all the multiple games they've ongoing, most of their gym work done during the season is for recovery.

It's only in the off season that they can start to put on the muscles but 5kg of pure muscles over a 6 weeks period is undoable unless he never touched any weights before in his life.
Yes, 5kg in 6weeks for someone that was already lifting is undoable, but to maintain his body fat percentage it would have to be ~4,5kg of muscle.

He said "he added the 5kg of pure muscle after joining United" on `12/13 November. He signed on July 1. That's 18 weeks, of which 5 were before his first game. Also it's possible he actually started bulking after his last PSV game which was mid May. That's another 6 weeks right there.

Within those time frames it's not unthinkable he gained +3,5kg muscle and his bf% went up less than <0,5%.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Yes, 5kg in 6weeks for someone that was already lifting is undoable, but to maintain his body fat percentage it would have to be ~4,5kg of muscle.

He said "he added the 5kg of pure muscle after joining United" on `12/13 November. He signed on July 1. That's 18 weeks, of which 5 were before his first game. Also it's possible he actually started bulking after his last PSV game which was mid May. That's another 6 weeks right there.

Within those time frames it's not unthinkable he gained +3,5kg muscle and his bf% went up less than <0,5%.
The real time frame is actually between Aug, when he reported for preseason to whenever the league started.

He was part of the Netherlands World Cup squad that got 3rd place, no chance he's lifting heavy during the tournament.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
The real time frame is actually between Aug, when he reported for preseason to whenever the league started.

He was part of the Netherlands World Cup squad that got 3rd place, no chance he's lifting heavy during the tournament.
No, he didn't sign after the world cup. He stayed at PSV to become top scorer and win the title. 15/16 was his first season.

BlueDutch

Supports
Chelsea
Heh?

Madrid - 26 in 45
Atletico - 32 in 43
PSG - 6 in 10
Chelsea - 3 in 10
Milan - 8 in 8
Juve - 3 in 7
Arsenal - 9 in 6 ( :lol: )
City - 6 in 6
Bayern - 4 in 6
Us - 4 in 6

And so on. Totally overrated.

As for Depay, you can exclude his United stint if you like.

City - 0 in 3
Barcelona - 0 in 2
PSG - 1 in 9
Ajax - 1 in 7

You see where i'm going with this? I'm afraid he's just not that good...
He played only four times in the starting line-up against Ajax. Three times he came in very late when he was still seen as a 17 and 18-year-old youth player at PSV. Logical since Dries Mertens was preferred on the left winger position, the best PSV player of that team. 1 goal from four games against Ajax. Not bad.

Monkers

It´s weird how some people just can´t seem to stand him doing great, always trying to find some ways to downplay his rise after his failure at united.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Yes. And it worked because he was up against inferior athletes. Hence once he moved up in level, his lack of elite explosiveness forced him to completely change his game
Yep, but it was logical that we played him in a way that he was already playing for PSV. As mentioned before, LvG actually realised he wasn't cut out for that type of role at the top level and started transitioning him into more of a playmaker where the games run through him. Unfortunately for Memphis, Rashford exploded onto the scene and then Mourinho came which killed his career here.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Think the obvious question is; do the laws of thermodynamics apply to him?
The laws of thermodynamics don't apply to Memphis, Memphis applies to the laws of thermodynamics.

That doesn't sound cool at all. Memphis is no Chuck Norris, that's for sure.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I just read that, since March 26, 2018 (second game under Koeman; not sure why that's the starting point for this stat), the Dutch national team has played 37 matches and scored 84 goals. During that time, Memphis scored 25 goals and gave 16 assists. He was thus involved in 41 goals, 49% of the total.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
I just read that, since March 26, 2018 (second game under Koeman; not sure why that's the starting point for this stat), the Dutch national team has played 37 matches and scored 84 goals. During that time, Memphis scored 25 goals and gave 16 assists. He was thus involved in 41 goals, 49% of the total.
Which would be even more impressive if you change it to goals scored with Memphis on the pitch if I understand it correctly.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Since 13 October 2018, Gini has scored 18 goals (+17 assists). Together with Memphis they've scored ~75% of goals.
The date corresponds with Gini playing in a more attacking midfield role and Sneijder retiring.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It´s weird how some people just can´t seem to stand him doing great, always trying to find some ways to downplay his rise after his failure at united.
Personally, I'm quite happy for Memphis that he's doing so well now. He was one of the players who never really spoke ill about us or behaved badly. But tbh I can't quite fathom how he can go from that bad to this good. Although I'd have to watch him a bit more for Barcelona but it seems everyone is convinced that he's now a quality player.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Which would be even more impressive if you change it to goals scored with Memphis on the pitch if I understand it correctly.
The article also went on to compare this stat to a few others: apparently it was 46% for Messi at Barca and 41% for Ronaldo at Juve last season, and 48% for Lewandowski in his record season. But various things could be said to contextualize Messi's and Ronaldo's numbers, so it's not a great comparison.

432JuanMata

Think he’s a good player but shows how far Barca have fallen as he should only be a squad/rotation player there but because they are so poor he is the main outlet for goals which will never get a top team far

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Typical Redcafe, judge one game and ignore the last 4 years.

I'd easily have him over Martial.
He was always like this. Just go look his stats for Ligue 1. Goal, assist, goal, shit, shit, shit, hat trick vs Dijon/Amiens/Angers, assist, goal, shit, shit, shit...

Season 2020/21
Season 2019/20
Barely played and even when he did you can see his inconsistency rate
Season 2018-19

He's not as good as some of you think he is.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Well, gotta say I am surprised that he didn't turn this Barcelona around and that he wasn't the solution to all their problems.

Abraxas

Never understood the extent of the interest in this guy.

I get that he got himself a move to ourselves which instantly raised his profile, but what is it beyond that - is it his social media presence or personality?

He's just a guy that wasn't ready to play for United, but has gone to a second tier kind of club and done well for club and country. Can't say he's not a good player but he's not top drawer either, everybody including Barcelona understands he's there because of a converging of circumstances and not because he necessarily corresponds with the historical stature of the club.

Why would he provoke such strong sentiment and continual analysis?

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
Another important match (today against Atlético) and he did nothing; already reeks of failure.

EtH

Will be interesting to see how Mbappe translates to La Liga as I still never rated Memphis as anything special at Lyon and he looks average at Barca.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
After closer inspection, he’s not very good.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
For a minute there he nearly convinced me he was world class, but his last 3 games have been rubbish. He just seems to give up at times. Though this Barca side would make prime Pele look like Dirk Kuyt I reckon

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
For a minute there he nearly convinced me he was world class, but his last 3 games have been rubbish. He just seems to give up at times. Though this Barca side would make prime Pele look like Dirk Kuyt I reckon
Imagine how good Messi is then with the numbers he got last year with this barca and the way he carried them to top four.