Memphis Depay | PSV confirm deal with Man Utd is agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodzy

This is the sort of player we need to be signing when we get rid of our Valencias and our Youngs. Not a huge risk (providing we can keep the transfer fee down), no pressure to start games in front of our top players but plenty of potential to get to that level and cement a place.

GledTheRed

That shot technique was awesome.

We could pick up Depay as a wing/forward option should we decide to get rid of Zaha.

Ww may actually need a forward next Summer, and he would provide something our existing forwards don't

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
That shot technique was awesome.

We could pick up Depay as a wing/forward option should we decide to get rid of Zaha.

Ww may actually need a forward next Summer, and he would provide something our existing forwards don't
Actually it does remind me of a certain Portuguese we used to have. :D

Amazing how this new wave of wider players are trying to mimic his topspin shooting and free-kick techniques. Even someone like Gareth Bale admitted to shooting instep with the valve of the ball.

JohnnyLaw

Actually it does remind me of a certain Portuguese we used to have. :D

Amazing how this new wave of wider players are trying to mimic his topspin shooting and free-kick techniques. Even someone like Gareth Bale admitted to shooting instep with the valve of the ball.
Don't think that Ronaldo was the first to use that kind of technique though, but he definitely perfected it and made it famous. Juninho's one who used it and had much success with it, but i'm sure there were others before him aswell.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Don't think that Ronaldo was the first to use that kind of technique though, but he definitely perfected it and made it famous. Juninho's one who used it and had much success with it, but i'm sure there were others before him aswell.

Yeah you're spot on wrt Juninho, scored some real belters at Lyon from set pieces. But I think Ronaldo was the one who made it extremely popular.

Bloedrood

I think Boetius could turn out to be better than Depay...

He's talented but not as talented as Depay. He's actually completely out of form this season to the extend that he's been benched a game already, and is being substituted off early regularly, at half time already this past weekend. He might actually loose his place while he has no serious competition. Meanwhile Depay is showing he's the best player in that league basically. Depay is also physically on another level from Boetius, while they're the same age. Depay works his ass off to succeed, and it shows, while Boetius is a light weight. Depay also has more pace, which is helpful for a winger. The general consensus in my country is that Depay might have it in him to one day reach the leven of a Robben, you'll find few who think that of Boetius. Van Gaal too, or he wouldn't have dropped Boetius before the World Cup and taken Depay instead.

Last edited:

FromTheBench

Hiddinks comments re him were pretty interesting -

"Depay has the potential to become Netherlands' best player," Hiddink told NOS.

"I've noticed that he has even more potential than I first thought now that I'm working with him.

"He still has plenty of room for improvement. I first thought that it was hard to approach him, but I was wrong. He is incredibly interested and keen to learn.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/artic...utm_source=taxonomy_landing_page#.VBciKhYz6ZQ

Devil may care

I really like the things I am reading about his attitude, it's important in a flair player with natural talent as some tend to think they can work less when they are naturally gifted.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, big shame. Really started the season looking like he'd score 20+ this year. Hopefully he comes back as good as new.

Bloedrood

I really like the things I am reading about his attitude, it's important in a flair player with natural talent as some tend to think they can work less when they are naturally gifted.
Yeah, Ronaldo is kind of an example for him I think, as far as working hard to improve goes. Depay hired a nutritionist for himself a few years ago already, for example. And I've read him saying things like that his whole life revolves around football and that he finds it unacceptable for any player to be out of shape or have a too high fat %, and that he's one of the first at the club every day, and works out before training starts, and that if alternating his foot in cold and a hot water for hours on end will decrease his injury time then he'll do it, he'll do anything it takes.

Devil may care

Yeah, Ronaldo is kind of an example for him I think, as far as working hard to improve goes. Depay hired a nutritionist for himself a few years ago already, for example. And I've read him saying things like that his whole life revolves around football and that he finds it unacceptable for any player to be out of shape or have a too high fat %, and that he's one of the first at the club every day, and works out before training starts, and that if alternating his foot in cold and a hot water for hours on end will decrease his injury time then he'll do it, he'll do anything it takes.
I really like the sound of his attitude towards his career, using Ronaldo as his role model will serve him well. Definitely a talent we should be monitoring and given he supposedly has a good relationship with RvP and was taken to and used at the WC by LvG I suspect we will be.

Bloedrood

I really like the sound of his attitude towards his career, using Ronaldo as his role model will serve him well. Definitely a talent we should be monitoring and given he supposedly has a good relationship with RvP and was taken to and used at the WC by LvG I suspect we will be.
Don't forget Stuivenberg who coached him at youth national team level and they won the under 17 European Championship together.

JohnnyLaw

Seems to be becoming a typical kind of goal for him sprinting off the counter-attack. Just the type of player we lack imo. The productiveness and consistancy he's shown this season is really impressive for someone who's only 20 years old.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That's a great attitude to have especially given he's just a kid. Also from what I hear he's very quick, can dribble and has a lethal shot. Sounds like the kind of wide player we should be in for. Di Maria is one of the best around but we should be relying on him for creativity and not goals as he isnt really a scorer. Also hes best playing inside anyway.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
''I am back and everyone needs to know that. Guus Hiddink must have seen it as well.'' On RTL7 post match. Arrogant rap videos making sod :lol:

Firstouch20

Class act. How Pogba won the best young player award in the world cup over Depay i'll never know.

FromTheBench

Class act. How Pogba won the best young player award in the world cup over Depay i'll never know.
Varane or Omeruou deserved it for me. Pogba won it due to hype.

Anyway, hope we are seriously looking at Depay. Type of player we could use too.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He isn't even nominated for the Golden Boy this year, which is really odd when the only players I'd say would have arguments either over him or on a similar level in the shortlist are Laporte, Sterling, Januzaj and Shaw

Alock1

Wears XXXL shirts and can't type ellipses
I feel like if we wanted him we got him.

Could see it being Liverpool or Spurs.

Truedevil

There was a rumour in the Summer that LvG told him to wait one more year at PSV until next Summer when we go for him. I hope that's true, he is going to be a fantastic player.

In Rainbows

There was a rumour in the Summer that LvG told him to wait one more year at PSV until next Summer when we go for him. I hope that's true, he is going to be a fantastic player.
Pretty much cements a 4-3-3 with Januzaj on the right and Depay on the left. If he were to come here of course.

tom porter

Pretty much cements a 4-3-3 with Januzaj on the right and Depay on the left. If he were to come here of course.
I am convinced Januzaj is better on the left on his natural foot than he is on the right. I would love to see a front see of Januzaj-Falcao-Depay with a midfield 3 of Carrick-di maria-herrerra behind them. Potential dynamite there...

Status
Not open for further replies.