Memphis Depay | PSV confirm deal with Man Utd is agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1y2

1. They're both very good dribblers. Obviously Hazard is a little faster and more refined, but Depay is extremely good too.
2. Both very strong on the ball, not easy to dispossess.
3. Both with a cracking shot from distance.
4. Depay is now strictly playing at the LAM position that Hazard plays for Chelsea.
5. Memphis is a bit taller but they both seem to have very good centers of gravity and balance.
6. Hazard's passing is a bit better but Depay is also improving all the time.
7. It's more stylistic than anything else TBF. Very similar to Hazard of Lille.

Maybe it's just me. :)
I think Hazard is way better dribbler, you won't find many better dribblers in the world, maybe messi and robben. Depay has got a brutal shot in him tho

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Robben said Depay was faster than him.

Munain is technically better than Depay in terms of his first touch, vision, consistency of passing etc....but his physique holds his type of game back and as a athlete Depay is just a different level in terms of strength, pace and he has added shooting to his game more and more now and can become a real goalscoring threat if he isn't already along with a pretty good dribbler.

Plus he is mentally stronger than Muniain whose had problems with the mental side of the game.
When did Robben say Depay is faster than him? Not a chance.

I do remember an interview during the World Cup where Memphis said Robben is the fastest in the world.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Your all beginning to get it now. Hopefully the rumours that Van Gaal told him to stay one more season before he brings him over is true.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
We need to sign Depay, the World Cup hasn't gone to his head, it acted as a motivator to work even harder. He's got the mentality and the work ethic to succeed and those are 2 of the most important factors in football. If he ends this season with over 20 goals, we won't be talking about 15m to get him, we'll most likely be talking about 25m+. We should've signed him during the last transfer window. :(

Henrik Larsson

We need to sign Depay, the World Cup hasn't gone to his head, it acted as a motivator to work even harder. He's got the mentality and the work ethic to succeed and those are 2 of the most important factors in football. If he ends this season with over 20 goals, we won't be talking about 15m to get him, we'll most likely be talking about 25m+. We should've signed him during the last transfer window. :(
Not quite sure we should sign him ever. But, although he would be more expensive next year, the higher price would definitely be worth it, because this year at PSV is perfect for his development and staying in Holland this year will help him so much in the future.

PSV look like they are going to break Ajax's 4 seasons in a row winning the title, the season is still very young obviously so you can never tell, but if Memphis stays fit, he might become league winner, one of the top scorers and gets voted Player of the Year. That's something you can really fall back on in the future.

m1y2

Its good for his development to stay one more year. LVG knows his potential but he wants to be sure so he let him kick even more on this year and if he can maintain his form then surely he will be under consideration next summer. We also don't play proper wingers, he wouldn't have place in the squad so he would have to be loaned out and if you are loaned you might not play as many matches. But it doesn't matter if they have some kind of deal with van Gaal. And if we pay 10m more, who cares. It won't be more than 30, better than buy another prospect who fails, and has not a chance to shine like Zaha. He might be also a player that just postponed this deal as Van Gaal gives him chance before he finally writes him off..
I think we might buy two or three wingers next summer: one world class Reus, Depay, worldclass talent and already playable player and maybe one more - cuadrado? able to play wingback or as proper winger so we can change between the formations if needed

Henrik Larsson

Why? I can't think of many better young wingers around.
Well sure, and I wouldn't mind if we signed him, he's gonna be a brilliant player. But there's Reus for example, we have Di Maria, Januzaj already. Draxler had a spell where he looked to be on Depays current level, and brilliant young wingers emerge every year. Perhaps LvG will be looking for an Iniesta-type very intelligent winger that adds something different. Not saying he definitely should look for someone else than Depay or something, but there are just so many beautiful options to chose from, that's why I'm not sure we should go for Memphis.

Jerch

If he will have as good season as he started he will be ours next year. Can't see him going to other club.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Well sure, and I wouldn't mind if we signed him, he's gonna be a brilliant player. But there's Reus for example, we have Di Maria, Januzaj already. Draxler had a spell where he looked to be on Depays current level, and brilliant young wingers emerge every year. Perhaps LvG will be looking for an Iniesta-type very intelligent winger that adds something different. Not saying he definitely should look for someone else than Depay or something, but there are just so many beautiful options to chose from, that's why I'm not sure we should go for Memphis.
di Maria is best in a midfield three, in my personal opinion. Ideally, we'd like to have more quality out wide. Reus is certainly an option but he will be one of the most sought players once that buy-out clause activates. Even if we were somehow able to fend off competiton, it'd be another bit of an impulsive, short-term investment. In three years time, he and di Maria would be about 30. I'd rather - if Memphis has a phenomenal season continued the way he has started - go in for him. I really do not think we need or will go for an 'Iniesta-type', I do not see the need. Januzaj is more than capable of such a role, and I do feel he'll grow into a stronger player in his decision making and passing abilities. What we need is more pace, and more directness; someone who is able to use his physicality to both stretch and test back-lines. Memphis will provide that, and I really do see him growing into a goal threat as he ages. I personally think we will, and we should be all over him. I do not see all the 'beautiful options' you state, rather the opposite. A dearth of geniune wide talents. Many appear like Draxler, whom you cite, but I see him more as a player who will fundamentally end central, as he doesn't have the pace but rather the long range shooting and close ball play to dictate through the centre.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Might just be you. Hazard comes across as an immensely gifted technical player, smaller and much lighter than Depay.

Depay seems more impressive physically for his age than technically and, unlike Hazard in my opinion, has a thunderous shot in his arsenal.

I'll enjoy watching both develop though.
Come on...if this isn't a thunderous shot what is?

JohnnyLaw

di Maria is best in a midfield three, in my personal opinion. Ideally, we'd like to have more quality out wide. Reus is certainly an option but he will be one of the most sought players once that buy-out clause activates. Even if we were somehow able to fend off competiton, it'd be another bit of an impulsive, short-term investment. In three years time, he and di Maria would be about 30. I'd rather - if Memphis has a phenomenal season continued the way he has started - go in for him. I really do not think we need or will go for an 'Iniesta-type', I do not see the need. Januzaj is more than capable of such a role, and I do feel he'll grow into a stronger player in his decision making and passing abilities. What we need is more pace, and more directness; someone who is able to use his physicality to both stretch and test back-lines. Memphis will provide that, and I really do see him growing into a goal threat as he ages. I personally think we will, and we should be all over him. I do not see all the 'beautiful options' you state, rather the opposite. A dearth of geniune wide talents. Many appear like Draxler, whom you cite, but I see him more as a player who will fundamentally end central, as he doesn't have the pace but rather the long range shooting and close ball play to dictate through the centre.
I agree about Di maria but Reus is 25 years old, 26 next year. I'd hardly count that as a short term investment, he's also proven he's WC so he should definitely be 1st priority objectively speaking. I don't see how he'd be more of an impulse buy than Depay as they're very much alike as players. Unless he signs a new contract contract with Dortmund the only way Reus'll be more expensive is in wages, because if Depay continues in this form there'll be plenty of clubs in for him while at the same time he's just signed a new contract which puts PSV in a much better bargaining position. I love Depay though and would be just as happy to have him.

DWelbz19

I agree about Di maria but Reus is 25 years old, 26 next year. I'd hardly count that as a short term investment, he's also proven he's WC so he should definitely be 1st priority objectively speaking. I don't see how he'd be more of an impulse buy than Depay as they're very much alike as players. Unless he signs a new contract contract with Dortmund the only way Reus'll be more expensive is in wages, because if Depay continues in this form there'll be plenty of clubs in for him while at the same time he's just signed a new contract which puts PSV in a much better bargaining position. I love Depay though and would be just as happy to have him.
Ah, my bad. Yeah, I guess, and whilst 29/30 isn't the worst age for wingers in the modern game these days, but it does leave the next manager (I'd imagine LvG would be gone by then, 3-4 years) in a bit of an awkward position. I do agree Reus should be priority, but failing him Depay is who we should be all over. I have high hopes, he already has the mentality, and I believe LvG could transform him into a superstar.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Ah, my bad. Yeah, I guess, and whilst 29/30 isn't the worst age for wingers in the modern game these days, but it does leave the next manager (I'd imagine LvG would be gone by then, 3-4 years) in a bit of an awkward position. I do agree Reus should be priority, but failing him Depay is who we should be all over. I have high hopes, he already has the mentality, and I believe LvG could transform him into a superstar.
I don't doubt that Depay has potential but I'd rather just let Januzaj develop. He's as good of a talent or as promising as anyone around IMO, and it would be a shame if he didn't develop properly here. The only players I'd sign if we had the chance are Ronaldo and Reus pretty much. But then both would be at the expense of selling Mata or a striker so Januzaj would still get plenty of time.

Ringo 07

I don't doubt that Depay has potential but I'd rather just let Januzaj develop. He's as good of a talent or as promising as anyone around IMO, and it would be a shame if he didn't develop properly here. The only players I'd sign if we had the chance are Ronaldo and Reus pretty much. But then both would be at the expense of selling Mata or a striker so Januzaj would still get plenty of time.
I'm pretty sure that eventually Januzaj will play through the middle while we will play 2 wingers and a striker up front once we have the players for 433........so I can see Januzaj eventually taking over from Rooney in the team and playing a playmaker type role....with Depay and Di Maria on the flanks

bosnian_red

I'm pretty sure that eventually Januzaj will play through the middle while we will play 2 wingers and a striker up front once we have the players for 433........so I can see Januzaj eventually taking over from Rooney in the team and playing a playmaker type role....with Depay and Di Maria on the flanks
We also have Mata here though, who is only 26 years old. Buying Depay would just be a bit pointless IMO.

JohnnyLaw

IMO opinion some of Januzajs best performances have been from the right while Depay operates from the left so they could occupy our two flanks without competing for gametime, if all goes well they could prove to become our Robbéry or Ronale (or Balaldo?). At the same time they're both so complete in their skillsets that they could play in almost any offensive postition which certainly benefits their chances of playing.

We also have Mata here though, who is only 26 years old. Buying Depay would just be a bit pointless IMO.
I think that Depay could prove to be a lot less dependant on his surroundings than Mata and simply a better player. Mata to me is a luxury player as he only really excels in the no. 10 position, Depay can play in several positions and with his broad range of abilities he'll be able to threaten opponents in more ways than Mata can.

bosnian_red

IMO opinion some of Januzajs best performances have been from the right while Depay operates from the left so they could occupy our two flanks without competing for gametime, if all goes well they could prove to become our Robbéry or Ronale (or Balaldo?). At the same time they're both so complete in their skillsets that they could play in almost any offensive postition which certainly benefits their chances of playing.

I think that Depay could prove to be a lot less dependant on his surroundings than Mata and simply a better player. Mata to me is a luxury player as he only really excels in the no. 10 position, Depay can play in several positions and with his broad range of abilities he'll be able to threaten opponents in more ways than Mata can.
We signed Di Maria this summer though so like I said, unless Januzaj's longterm future lies as a #10 and we sell Mata, there is no need to get somebody like Depay. Reus/Ronaldo would be the exceptions, but again, Mata would probably be sold to accommodate.

JohnnyLaw

We signed Di Maria this summer though so like I said, unless Januzaj's longterm future lies as a #10 and we sell Mata, there is no need to get somebody like Depay. Reus/Ronaldo would be the exceptions, but again, Mata would probably be sold to accommodate.
Di Maria is just as good in a midfield three as he is on the wings, some even say he's better there so there could still be room for another winger to come in. That's one of the reason why LVG rates Di maria so highly, for his tactical flexibility. His main position could be in midfield and then as a winger if need be.

m1y2

BUt to compete with the best you need numbers in positions. We currently have two playable players on wings: Januzaj and diMaría and diMaría has to play in midfield because other than anything we lack quality there. so technically one winger. Depay and Reus could be great signings and IMO very possible.. Reus, diMaría, Januzaj, Depay as wingers.. two promising and two established and as CAM - di MAría/Januzaj so Adnan would get enough time IMO.. possibly 4 competitions next year and injuries..

Sampy93

Quite surprised we didn't go for him this summer. He really looks like one of those players that come around every so often and it's clear for everyone to see they are going places. Cristiano, Kaka, Rooney, Hazard, Neymar to name a few that come to mind.
A mate of mine played a tournament in Holland a few years ago and we went with him. Depay was there and he tore everyone he played against a new one, made sure I remembered the name! ;)

Sampy93

BUt to compete with the best you need numbers in positions. We currently have two playable players on wings: Januzaj and diMaría and diMaría has to play in midfield because other than anything we lack quality there. so technically one winger. Depay and Reus could be great signings and IMO very possible.. Reus, diMaría, Januzaj, Depay as wingers.. two promising and two established and as CAM - di MAría/Januzaj so Adnan would get enough time IMO.. possibly 4 competitions next year and injuries..
I wouldn't say we should sign Depay and Reus but I agree with you, signing another class winger will not harm Januzaj's development. And besides, if he is good enough, he will play! End of story. Its not like he needs a trial run to see if he has the talent etc. If he impresses LVG in training and puts the work into it he will be successful no matter who we have on our books.

Henrik Larsson

Agree with a lot of things you say, and it's going to be a very tough choice. But I was thinking, say we want to play with wingers next year and compete for the league and the Champions League. Obviously we have to qualify first, but if we do, with the money invested and the history of our club, the plan will be to compete for or do very well in the Champions League next year.

I'd say we then would need a winger who is either ready, with the right age and experience, like Reus for example (just turned 25 will be 30 in five years), or a youngster who is literally going to be one of the five best players in the world, like when we signed Ronaldo. I don't see Memphis fitting one of those profiles. Even if it all works out brilliantly for him this season, he might need to adapt to a bigger league and I think he still needs two or three years at least before you can expect him to be a player who carries us to a Premier League title.

Glanville95

I think Depay would be an ideal signing in the summer, as if he continues his current form, he will have had a very successful season at club level and presumably sweep a number of individual and collective honours. It will be the perfect time for him to move on to a new challenge, as he'll have clearly outstayed the Eredivisie.

Plus, van Gaal probably wants a gradual transition towards the 4-3-3 or a system that deploys wingers given his preference for them. Despite di Maria's arrival, we still don't have enough pace and we would need more competition for places if we qualify for European football also.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Playing the Robben role I'm assuming. Should be able to use his pace to good effect.

Devil may care

I thought he was Holland's best attacker, he has everything in his locker, he just needs refining a bit which will come with experience.

DWelbz19

Most things that happened tended to come down the side of Depay and Blind. When he was playing as the striker in the 352 he looked a little isolated, he had to come deep a lot to receive the ball. Out wide he looked much more natural and tested Cech once or twice. Decent performance but I expect a little higher from him, particularly when you consider the form he is showing in the Eredivise at the moment.

ricky-romeo

he is the next big thing from holland. surely a massive upgrade from the nani of the last 2/3 seasons, valencia since changing his number and young.

JohnnyLaw

Didn't see the game but from the youtube compilation it seems he had a very good game. His shooting technique is insane.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Can't see us being in for him
Janauzj will only fully develop to his potential with first team games and the same is true for this kid as well.
We can probably find enough opportunities for one of them but with Di Maria, Mata, Rooney, RVP, falcao it's hard to see both getting game time and I'd sooner we develop Janauzj

Status
Not open for further replies.