Memphis Depay | PSV confirm deal with Man Utd is agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Would be a nice signing, but I don't know if it would be our best choice. Believe there is a topic already on him, although it wasn't on the transfer forum.

Has shown a lot of potential this season, probably will be rewarded with a spot on the Dutch squad for Brazil. But he also has a lot to learn still. Would depend on the price too, 15 million seems pretty accurate.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
15 million I'd snap him up. We'd be paying for potential and potentially this lad can be every bit as good as a Sanchez or Reus if not better.

dutchred

15 million I'd snap him up. We'd be paying for potential and potentially this lad can be every bit as good as a Sanchez or Reus if not better.
He would be a good buy for 15M. He is talented, can play on the wing of up front, has a great attitude and a fantastic shot with his right foot.

Gambit

him and Januzaj on either wing would be impressive. A nice mix of styles.

Gambit

Can someone elaborate on this guy? Never heard of him. :wenger:

Also, is he going to the World Cup?
Yeah he's in the world cup squad. A very fast and great dribbling 20 year old left winger who was PSV Eindhovens best player last year. Hell of a powerful shot on him. Made 32 appearances last year in the Dutch league, scored 12 made 7 assists. Can lose possession easily ( like most young wingers) but experience and better players around him will sort that out. Loves a free kick.
Have a youtube

LR7

Would be a good buy for £15m. I don't watch Eredivisie at all so I've only seen PSV a handful of times in Europe this season where they played some exciting attacking (though somewhat naïve) football with a young team with lots of potential. He's looked good and definitely stood out when I watched. Saw a bit of him in the tournament last summer too (U21s Euros I think).

Might be an unpopular opinion but I'd rather we spent money on young potential than older players like Robben.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Would be a good buy for £15m. I don't watch Eredivisie at all so I've only seen PSV a handful of times in Europe this season where they played some exciting attacking (though somewhat naïve) football with a young team with lots of potential. He's looked good and definitely stood out when I watched. Saw a bit of him in the tournament last summer too (U21s Euros I think).

Might be an unpopular opinion but I'd rather we spent money on young potential than older players like Robben.
I dont mind that. However is Depay better to what we've got??

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I dont mind that. However is Depay better to what we've got??
Is he better than Young, Valencia and Nani? Yes. Januzaj is obviously far more accomplished but Depay is a natural winger and shows similar albeit lower levels of potential to Januzaj.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Yeah he's in the world cup squad. A very fast and great dribbling 20 year old left winger who was PSV Eindhovens best player last year. Hell of a powerful shot on him. Made 32 appearances last year in the Dutch league, scored 12 made 7 assists. Can lose possession easily ( like most young wingers) but experience and better players around him will sort that out. Loves a free kick.
Have a youtube
Thanks.

But if we do get him, what happens to Zaha then considering we haven't even given him a chance? It would leave us with Adnan, Zaha and this guy together. Surely we won't be playing all of them together?

MDFC Manager

Thanks.

But if we do get him, what happens to Zaha then considering we haven't even given him a chance? It would leave us with Adnan, Zaha and this guy together. Surely we won't be playing all of them together?
There's also Lingard who is deserving of chances. Personally I think we don't have a squad spot for another young but unproven winger. But that would obviously depend on our outgoings.

coolredwine

lameredboots
There's also Lingard who is deserving of chances. Personally I think we don't have a squad spot for another young but unproven winger. But that would obviously depend on our outgoings.
We have many outgoings this season. That won't be a problem. But getting in so many youngsters together is what I am not sure of. It would leave us massively short on experience.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He's the only Dutch talent being discussed that I really rate. I think he will become a star, felt that from the first time I saw him in the u21 tournament last summer. He has the self belief that players like him need to become one of the world's best.

My only reservation is the idea of having a ' project' on each wing. That said, I'd take the chance. I don't think we have anything in our youth set up in wide areas that will come close to the same quality either. Him on the left and Adnan on the right will be grwat in a couple of years.

Also, we only need to compete in the league next season, so doesn't matter as much if he isn't ready for the very best in Europe just yet.

Trizy

Not seen him much but I signed him in Fifa 13 and he became the best player in the game after 5 seasons.

RedStarUnited

We have many outgoings this season. That won't be a problem. But getting in so many youngsters together is what I am not sure of. It would leave us massively short on experience.
How do you know that we have many outgoings? Especially in the attackers/wingers part?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Looking at the videos he doesn't actually look that great. Very raw, very greedy and tends to get lucky because the defending is so awful. Needs to improve a lot and that's in the Eredivisie.

Think he'd struggle to do any better than Young or Valencia and be more likely to do the same as Zaha.

Can't say I've seen anything more than Youtube clips though admittedly.

dutchred

Looking at the videos he doesn't actually look that great. Very raw, very greedy and tends to get lucky because the defending is so awful. Needs to improve a lot and that's in the Eredivisie.

Think he'd struggle to do any better than Young or Valencia and be more likely to do the same as Zaha.

I do not know what videos you have beeen watching, but I have seen him live many times and also seen full matches on the Dutch TV. I disagree with everything you say. He would be a bargain at 15M and is far better than Young or Valencia.

Hojoon

I do not know what videos you have beeen watching, but I have seen him live many times and also seen full matches on the Dutch TV. I disagree with everything you say. He would be a bargain at 15M and is far better than Young or Valencia.
Can you give us some info on his strengths and weaknesses? How highly do you rate him?

coolredwine

lameredboots
How do you know that we have many outgoings? Especially in the attackers/wingers part?
It's obvious, isn't it. Ashley Young just can't cut it out here. Nani has already been reported to leave (rumours that he is joining Juventus). And honestly, would you want to keep that trio after the shit has been served for 2 seasons in a row?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Definitely wouldn't be complaining if we got him. Great balance and close control, plenty of flair and an obvious eye for goal. Makes sense to replace Nani with someone like him.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think it's a sort of 'Ronaldo-like' attitude. On the pitch he can act greedy and get a little petulant and riled up, but away from it he knows what he's doing. I'm pretty sure he has a nutritionist and seeks to keep himself at the optimal level of his game and always seeks improvements.

Red Comet

He's got these moments of genius :drool:

One of the guys given the run-around is Jordy Clasie.

But he's also gotten into training ground troubles before....

As long as he can keep his temper in control he would be an interesting addition.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He's got these moments of genius :drool:

One of the guys given the run-around is Jordy Clasie.

But he's also gotten into training ground troubles before....

As long as he can keep his temper in control he would be an interesting addition.

Didn't we just get rid of Ravel Morrison?

And he needs more than just one right cross, that left needs to come into action quicker

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think a training ground bust up is anything to worry about. Thing's like that happen behind closed doors all the time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And that's ok is it?
You think things like that don't already happen at Utd? There were reports recently Evra and Vidic had a coming together in the dressing room. When Adrenaline is high and competitive people get together somethings things get a little heated.

I would say yes as long as it's controlled and dealt with quickly, and isn't a repeat thing then it's no bother.

mufcwarm92

Regarding his attitude, a newbie called The Farmer sent me this:

You asked about Depay's attitude in the Depay thread, but i am a nooby so can not post there yet.

Just wanted you to know his attitude on the pitch is great. His first season and he was the only player with consistencie in our psc squad. Even when the team completely broke down ( psv had a horrible season ) he held his head above the others. HE was the only positive thing in out season really.

Always took his time after a match to thank his fans ( a rare sight when a team loses for example ), always gave 110% dedication to the game, always looking to improve. I love this guy and I will be gutted when ( not if) we lose him. Easily our best player, and most loveable.

People say he is selfish, but he is just very confident. He had like 112 shots but only 12 goals so that is something he has to improve on, but creating this many chances is not easy! Also has the best dribbling abilty in our league...

Ill be gutted when he leaves, but him going to united would soften the blow.
He also apologised for his spelling ;). Sounds decent though.

Gambit

He also apologised for his spelling ;).
His spelling helped. I was reading it with a OTT Dutch accent anyway.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox

He already looks better than Zaha from the games I've watched of him (I tend to whack on any old football when I'm doing work at home in front of the computer)
Personally I've never thought Zaha was (or would be) worth the hassle and usual young-winger inconsistent two or three years, because I've never rated or been convinced by his actual ability on the ball.

Depay would be much more worth it, in my opinion. He's at Oxlade Chamberlain's level, not Zaha's. His issues are very much the final product and over-eagerness, and not his technique. Whereas Zaha's technique isn't even consistent enough to worry about his final product half the time.
I doubt we'd be having the discussions about him that we're having about Zaha had Depay joined in the summer instead.

Last edited:

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Which one is it lads?!
Depends on what you call attitude. Bit of an ego like Cristiano or 10000 other young footballers, but also highly motivated, so I wouldn't call that an attitude problem. I posted this in a different thread, which I believe has merged into this thread now:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/memphis-depay.391025/#post-15713530

And I would like to add to that, that there´s 0.00% chance LouisVG would select and play a youngster with a bad attitude for the national team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.