Messi lifting the World Cup in that robe

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The robe wasn't "cultural" in the same context as a leprechaun hat or a kilt etc.

It was "cultural" in the way a diamond may have been given from a country that is famous for diamonds.

It's a little known fact that the region we know as Qatar was most famous for woven robes from about the 13th Century. These are expensive hand woven fabrics in the same way a Persian rug is famous.

That lingerie looking robe is worth a bob or two. And is a gift. Maybe not everybody's idea of a good gift but a gift from a region that was famous for it.
The French missed this trick when they won WC in Russia. Russia is famous for their beautiful ... art.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
The French missed this trick when they won WC in Russia. Russia is famous for their beautiful ... art.
They should have had a large World Cup shaped Russian doll that the winner had to dismantle on the podium to get to the trophy before he could lift it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They should have had a large World Cup shaped Russian doll that the winner had to dismantle on the podium to get to the trophy before he could lift it.
That's not what i had in mind, but that would do also.

Abizzz

I find it extraordinary how certain posters have a problem with other posters having an opinion.

The fact they keep insinuating something that is itself prevalent in the country they are going all out to protect just shows how insincere some are. Racism exists and is a blight on humanity but calling the actions of an individual silly because you think they were misplaced at that moment isn't that.

Last edited:

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
I don't think the issue is the bisht itself, I think the issue is that Qatar have been shameless in sportswashing and that this was another attempt to do so.

There have been people in this thread who referred to this as a great World Cup; this was in absolutely no way, shape, or form a great World Cup. Yes, there was a great World Cup Final but some of the fare from the group stages was dreary, with only 2010 being worse from my memory (And at least they could blame the Jabulani). 6 games in the group stages ended 0-0; there was one 0-0 in the entirety of the 2018 World Cup if I'm not mistaken. Couple that with lifeless stadia with seemingly full capacity despite the fact we could see many empty seats in the far stands, corruption in the bidding process, deaths working on the construction of the stadia, a country with no trace of footballing culture, and a place that truth be told has never really been a major tourist destination and you end up with a tainted major global sporting event.

With that all said, when the bisht was offered to Messi, do people not have a right to be skeptical? Qatar hardly deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to sportswashing even though in this particular case, it might not actually have been sportswashing.
Fantastic post

Santoryo

ripping the reward
It's ironic how posters who love being social white knights and acting all morally virtuous and superior to others, knowingly or unknowingly are showing their ignorance and how Islamophobic they are by categorically refusing to respect other people's cultures and trying to paint them as these terrible and sinister gestures. The recipient who was gifted the robe in question doesn't seem to be offended but of course these people arrogantly claims it's just Messi not knowing he's being used by his bosses and only them know what's good for everyone else.

Sometimes people ought to slow down, look at themselves in the mirror and see if they aren't the bullies they accuse others of being.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
It's ironic how posters who love being social white knights and acting all morally virtuous and superior to others, knowingly or unknowingly are showing their ignorance and how Islamophobic they are by categorically refusing to respect other people's cultures and trying to paint them as these terrible and sinister gestures. The recipient who was gifted the robe in question doesn't seem to be offended but of course these people arrogantly claims it's just Messi not knowing he's being used by his bosses and only them know what's good for everyone else.

Sometimes people ought to slow down, look at themselves in the mirror and see if they aren't the bullies they accuse others of being.
The recipient has just won the world cup. His reaction means feck all

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The robe is not Islamic you absolute tools. People are annoyed because they had a whole two minutes of infantino and the emir fecking up the moment to insert themselves into the spotlight. This honor could have been given at any other time ( maybe when they had a whole ten minutes of individual awards)and no one would have blinked . They purposely did it before the trophy lift to "brand" the photo and did it in the most ham fisted way possible. The fact that Messi or Argentina fans couldn't give two fecks is because they just won the world cup. The trophy lift is the final moment and pinnacle of the tournament and that photo will always be iconic. They knew what they were doing and the idea that their main motivation was to honor Messi is a joke.

kthanksbye

I don't see how it's preposterous to allude that the the occasion and timing of presenting the bisht could have sinister motives instead of just honoring the worldcup winner with a traditional attire.
I have lived more than two decades in the middle east, so I understand the culture behind the gesture, but I also know how this region loves a bit of self promotion whenever there's a chance. It wasn't pre planned, clearly Messi didn't know anything about it.
Personally, I don't care about it much, just that it is now in the way of one of the most iconic images in footballing history. It has no need to be there, the moment belongs to Argentina and Messi, this is not the time and the place for the host to lean into the frame.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He just buried Cristianos any remaining hope of being in contention for best ever, of course he was going to wear black.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'll just let you know that the winner of the next Euros will receive a customary beer shower, a long standing custom we honour our victorious footballers with.

redcucumber

The robe is not Islamic you absolute tools. People are annoyed because they had a whole two minutes of infantino and the emir fecking up the moment to insert themselves into the spotlight. This honor could have been given at any other time ( maybe when they had a whole ten minutes of individual awards)and no one would have blinked . They purposely did it before the trophy lift to "brand" the photo and did it in the most ham fisted way possible. The fact that Messi or Argentina fans couldn't give two fecks is because they just won the world cup. The trophy lift is the final moment and pinnacle of the tournament and that photo will always be iconic. They knew what they were doing and the idea that their main motivation was to honor Messi is a joke.
I don't see how it's preposterous to allude that the the occasion and timing of presenting the bisht could have sinister motives instead of just honoring the worldcup winner with a traditional attire.
I have lived more than two decades in the middle east, so I understand the culture behind the gesture, but I also know how this region loves a bit of self promotion whenever there's a chance. It wasn't pre planned, clearly Messi didn't know anything about it.
Personally, I don't care about it much, just that it is now in the way of one of the most iconic images in footballing history. It has no need to be there, the moment belongs to Argentina and Messi, this is not the time and the place for the host to lean into the frame.
Two posts that nail it in succession.

I also think it's snakey the way posters that keep levelling these accusations come into the thread, say something fairly outrageous without ever quoting or engaging in the conversation and then disappear, only to do the same thing again a short while later.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Great, give one to every squad member.

That's silly. His employers asked him to wear it saying that that this is a sign of respect. Declining on a global stage would be disrespecting them and could be damaging to his future paychecks.

As to taking it off, he was in no situation to think through this with the World Cup just feet away from him, waiting to be lifted.
Damaging to his future paychecks :lol: Are you for real ? Are you living in a world different than ours ? Messi would sue PSG if they touched his wages for that reason :lol: I'm truly astounded by the stupidity of this reasoning

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Would be funny if after all this , Messi was basically asked , can we do this and he was ,
Yeah I don't care, I don't mind, go for it!
It's more than likely been the case. It's Leo Messi, I don't think anyone could have forced him to do it. Not at that moment where he is on top of the world

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
The robe wasn't "cultural" in the same context as a leprechaun hat or a kilt etc.

It was "cultural" in the way a diamond may have been given from a country that is famous for diamonds.

It's a little known fact that the region we know as Qatar was most famous for woven robes from about the 13th Century. These are expensive hand woven fabrics in the same way a Persian rug is famous.

That lingerie looking robe is worth a bob or two. And is a gift. Maybe not everybody's idea of a good gift but a gift from a region that was famous for it.
I can't believe you are disrespecting Leprechauns! On behalf of drunk tourists with vague ancestral links I am disgusted.

Can we stop with the rush to defend cultures from imagined attacks? It's tiresome. The leprechaun example was to high what he was give was irrelevant, but the issue was when he was presented with it.

Your post is factually correct but irrelevant to the point being made. And does it's value matter? That's more vulgar than a Leprechaun hat.

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
This thread is showing true colors of some of the posters.
It's preposterous. True colors are shown indeed by a measly 10 or so mighty western countries out of 200 in the world.

Messi was handed a robe 2022. Qatar basically crowned him King of Football and it happened in Arabia.

Pelé was handed a sombrero 1970. Mexico basically crowned him King of Football and it happened in Mexico.

If Mbappe is handed a Viking helmet in Norway/Sweden/Denmark World Cup 2030/2034, basically crowning him King of Football and it happened in Scandinavia will there be public outcry or silence/applauds? Surely the later.

redcucumber

It's preposterous. True colors are shown indeed by a measly 10 or so mighty western countries out of 200 in the world.

Messi was handed a robe 2022. Qatar basically crowned him King of Football and it happened in Arabia.

Pelé was handed a sombrero 1970. Mexico basically crowned him King of Football and it happened in Mexico.

If Mbappe is handed a Viking helmet in Norway/Sweden/Denmark World Cup 2030/2034, basically crowning him King of Football and it happened in Scandinavia will there be public outcry or silence/applauds? Surely the later.
Have you bothered to read any of the many posts that outlined the feeling would be the exact same if any sort of cultural garb was foisted onto the winning captain moments before they lifted the trophy, regardless of whichever nation was hosting? There is no public outcry ffs, at least not here. This is a football forum and a discussion is taking place.

68cob

Messi wasn't handed the robe, it was awkwardly placed over him by his boss.
Pele didn't pick up the Trophy in 1970 as he wasn't the captain, so that's a non point too.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Guys give Change a chance, I thought it was a cool changed from the traditional thing we are used to it made it unique and I thought it was a nice touch too.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona

Do people just copy paste Social Media facts without research? Pele got the sombrero after lifting the cup, during celebrations afterwards. Qatar "forced" him to wear this robe during the most watched and iconic moment. You see the difference?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
Do people just copy paste Social Media facts without research? Pele got the sombrero after lifting the cup, during celebrations afterwards. Qatar "forced" him to wear this robe during the most watched and iconic moment. You see the difference?
He wasn’t forced - don’t make things up.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
You don't have an issue with the other poster making things up about the sombrero though?

Just the one that may paint Qatar in a negative light?
I don’t read every post, most of the time I skim through on my phone. On the Pele bit specifically - I don’t know the situation - when/where he was given the sombrero so I don’t comment on it. Is that ok for you?

ChaddyP

I don't think the issue is the bisht itself, I think the issue is that Qatar have been shameless in sportswashing and that this was another attempt to do so.

There have been people in this thread who referred to this as a great World Cup; this was in absolutely no way, shape, or form a great World Cup. Yes, there was a great World Cup Final but some of the fare from the group stages was dreary, with only 2010 being worse from my memory (And at least they could blame the Jabulani). 6 games in the group stages ended 0-0; there was one 0-0 in the entirety of the 2018 World Cup if I'm not mistaken. Couple that with lifeless stadia with seemingly full capacity despite the fact we could see many empty seats in the far stands, corruption in the bidding process, deaths working on the construction of the stadia, a country with no trace of footballing culture, and a place that truth be told has never really been a major tourist destination and you end up with a tainted major global sporting event.

With that all said, when the bisht was offered to Messi, do people not have a right to be skeptical? Qatar hardly deserve the benefit of the doubt when it comes to sportswashing even though in this particular case, it might not actually have been sportswashing.
What does 0-0 indicate exactly? It was a boring game? Low quality? What does a 0-0 indicate to you exactly I'm not following.

Tibs

Can't believe how many people are triggered by it...actually, yes I can.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I don’t read every post, most of the time I skim through on my phone. On the Pele bit specifically - I don’t know the situation - when/where he was given the sombrero so I don’t comment on it. Is that ok for you?
So comment on it now.

You are lightning fast to defend any perceived slight on Qatar and have been so since the beginning of the world cup.

It's completely on brand for you to jump in on the poster while ignoring the one that he was replying to.

You don't know If the sombrero was placed on his head by the host during the trophy presentation?

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
So comment on it now.

You are lightning fast to defend any perceived slight on Qatar and have been so since the beginning of the world cup.

It's completely on brand for you to jump in on the poster while ignoring the one that he was replying to.

You don't know If the sombrero was placed on his head by the host during the trophy presentation?
No - when was he given the sombrero and when did he put it on?

I’ve defended the fan’s experience at the World Cup, the World Cup as an event and will continue to do so. Feel free to read through my post history, and please let me know if I’ve defended the regime at any point.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
please let me know if I’ve defended the regime at any point
I didn't say you've defended the the regime, I said that you read and reply to what suits you ( which is usually criticism) and an example of that is that you ignore the content of the post the guy is replying to and admonish him for making things up.

"Forced" is a strong word but he was "Offered" it and "Accepted" , it was placed on his shoulders.

No - when was he given the sombrero and when did he put it on?
He picked it up somewhere during the post presentation celebrations.

It wasn't put on him by a representative of the governing body of the sport or the host nation during the trophy presentation.

Last edited:

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
Have you bothered to read any of the many posts that outlined the feeling would be the exact same if any sort of cultural garb was foisted onto the winning captain moments before they lifted the trophy, regardless of whichever nation was hosting? There is no public outcry ffs, at least not here. This is a football forum and a discussion is taking place.
The man on the street doesn't seem to mind that much if you look at the comments section, it's mostly some journalists at the big papers (Hi Martin Samuel) that have thrown a fit and some westerners complaining without taking a global perspective. This to me seems like another negative take in the same vein as much has been during the WC when in reality it's the best ever. I mean there was so many complaints beforehand regarding heat but it sure as hell was not cold in Mexico 86 or USA 94. When it comes to Qatar nothing seems to small to complain about.
Messi wasn't handed the robe, it was awkwardly placed over him by his boss.
Pele didn't pick up the Trophy in 1970 as he wasn't the captain, so that's a non point too.
Well, Messi didn't seem to mind too much. What does it matter that Pelé wasn't captain? Mbappe isn't captain either but nobody would drape Lloris with any kind of ornament.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not surprised how many pundits/reporters have made themselves look stupid with their comments about it. Hopefully they are all rightfully called out.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
For me, they should respect western culture. By putting that Bisht on him they went against the tradition of the world cup to push their own agenda to show that it's a Qatar world cup.

The whole ceremony was ruined by not being able to see him in Argentinian colours and it's why most photos doing the rounds don't include him wearing it and are after him lifting the trophy.

It was totally unnecessary and afterwards they could have asked him to wear and it and take some photos with him wearing it with the trophy for the Arab world.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
It was totally unnecessary and afterwards they could have asked him to wear and it and take some photos with him wearing it with the trophy for the Arab world.
Which I'm pretty sure 90% of people (the other 10% being racist shitheads) wouldn't have any issue with at all.

I shudder to think what the USA are planning to drape all over the winner in 4 years.

Renegade

No way would they have draped that over Lloris! They knew the Messi trophy lift would be an iconic sporting image. Hilarious.