Messi lifting the World Cup in that robe

Andre Kagawa

It won't ruin any iconic images. This will be the image everyone remembers...

But it's annoying that it was them trying to force themselves into a moment.
Not the same. Lifting moment is iconic.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It happens in sports, in India I believe the politicians who hand over trophies want to be in the picture to be the center of attention.

Messi won the POTT and Argentina won the WC, nothing will detract from that.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
It happens in sports, in India I believe the politicians who hand over trophies want to be in the picture to be the center of attention.

The owners of the team also get the Lombardy trophy after the Superb Owl

Brophs

The One and Only
He’s just lucky the final wasn’t held in Dublin. Even he couldn’t pull off a Lonsdale tracksuit bottoms.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Bang on.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Nothing ridiculous about it, that thobe to Messi represents a medal in itself. It’s to show he’s achieved excellence and attained a great feat. The man himself wasn’t bothered but you’re here feeling offended on his behalf. You’re even comparing Qatar saying don’t impose your culture on us to them doing this IN THIER OWN COUNTRY. Come off it.

FriedClams

The robe thing was odd. What was the point?
probably something to do with their culture. Pretty sure the Qatari people would see it as one of the biggest honours they could give him. Just the ROTW won’t see it that way

Ibragol

Supports
Milan
Honestly, who are you people who really cared about it? I loved to see some local influences in both the final ceremony before the game and I can appreciate they put that coat on Messi, that obviously means something good in their culture. Yes, Qatar have issues and their culture is worse than ours in most ways, but come on, it's a fecking coat. This world cup was a success.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Not surprised a fuss over nothing by the usual suspects.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I thought so at first but meh. It's also a unique thing now. And doing a bit of research into what that robe is and what it stands for it makes it cool as feck.

Would still have preferred it was a traditional ceremony, though.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
It won't ruin any iconic images. This will be the image everyone remembers...

But it's annoying that it was them trying to force themselves into a moment.
Great picture to be fair.

TheReligion

Abusive
probably something to do with their culture. Pretty sure the Qatari people would see it as one of the biggest honours they could give him. Just the ROTW won’t see it that way
Ahh okay that makes sense. I mean I understand.

No one knows if he accepted it by choice or otherwise anyway.

redshaw

I feel he could've taken it off respectfully before walking to the players and then put it back on again after. Weird moment and strange expectation to put on a player, especially one that has lived under the image of Maradona and had a troublesome period. The comparison scenes to 86 will always be marred by the robe. It's fine to wear it for a minute on stage, perhaps put it back on briefly when walking around the stadium but even then the fans want to see him in his Argentina kit with the trophy. You could say it separates him in a good way as a supreme leader, but his team mates have been great as well.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Oh absolutely, it's fairly normal and unremarkable generally, I think.

The issue is the contrast with FIFA desperately claiming politics should be kept out of football during the tournament, because the politics of this tournament made them look terrible. When in reality you can't keep politics out of football, as those scenes just highlight.

BristolRuss

Qatar: If you are visiting our country you must respect our customs and dress modestly.

Also Qatar: Puts Messi in a negligee.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Do people like this just look for every excuses to have a moan. What with this needless manufactured outrage. People ought to seek help if they're gonna rage over everything, even the most harmless actions.

Tarrou

Qatar spending the whole tournament saying “hey, don’t force your culture onto us!!” and then at the very last minute forcing Messi to wear a ridiculously large Qatar robe over his National shirt for the iconic money shot is a pretty fitting feck you to anyone who took any of this shit in remotely good faith tbh.
I don’t actually remember anyone from Qatar saying this

But rather, please respect our culture

I’m not trying to justify anything here, I just don’t think they were spending the whole tournament saying that

Ladron de redcafe

It’s called a thobe and why you lot crying, see how happy the team is celebrating their triumph. Why you feeling offended and disgusted on their behalf? Let it go, it was a great World Cup, a great final and Messi the GOAT has finally done it. Focus on the positives and let’s move on to the season once more.
Exactly. The goat looked happy in it. :lol:

What a night!!