g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Just to answer my original question here since it hasn’t been, the experts don’t call him the best ever because he isn’t. Not one unbiased current/ex professional footballer/managers has said it. He has rightfully been voted the best player in the world many times but collectively it’s not enough for anyone of note to say he’s the best they’ve ever seen. Tells you all you need to know.

I have no issues with preferring ronaldo to messi, but it crosses the line when you call him the best footballer ever. He’s fecking not.
It's called having an opinion. Also the so called experts can never be unbiased.

Ronaldo played for Manchester United and Real Madrid, 2 of the best supported clubs in the world yet at the same time 2 of the most hated.

There are more ABU/anti-RM people in the world than anti-Barca people.

Deleted member 101472

How about if he win it another 10 times. Would it be still not enough for you?
God yes, I’m all for revising my opinion when new reasons to present themself. And if he were to win it another twice even, youd probably get a lot more people coming out and proclaiming him as the best ever. People that actually matter, that is.

Cal?

CR7 fan
God yes, I’m all for revising my opinion when new reasons to present themself. And if he were to win it another twice even, youd probably get a lot more people coming out and proclaiming him as the best ever. People that actually matter, that is.
Again, people that actually matter voted Ronaldo ahead of Messi more times than the other way round.

Care to explain how Messi is better if 'people that matter' prefer Ronaldo more often?

Deleted member 101472

Again, people that actually matter voted Ronaldo ahead of Messi more times than the other way round.

Care to explain how Messi is better if 'people that matter' prefer Ronaldo more often?
Do you not see the distinction between judging a player on a season and making a decision, versus judging a player over their whole career and making a decision?

Rooney voted ronaldo 1st place for a ballon d’or yet calls messi the best ever. It doesn’t work like that mate.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So now we're just haggling with the number of awards. I say 5-6, you say 15 Ballon's for the GOAT.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Do you not see the distinction between judging a player on a season and making a decision, versus judging a player over their whole career and making a decision?

Rooney voted ronaldo 1st place for a ballon d’or yet calls messi the best ever. It doesn’t work like that mate.
That works if you have a player who had 1 or 2 seasons of form but doesn't play at that level ever again.

However, for more than a decade, Ronaldo and Messi has completely dominated the football world and Ronaldo has come out on top according to your favored "experts" on more occasions.

As I've been saying all along, footballers and managers say whatever they feel like and their so called opinions are not really set in stone.

Voting however, leaves a record that can never be changed.

Deleted member 101472

That works if you have a player who had 1 or 2 seasons of form but doesn't play at that level ever again.

However, for more than a decade, Ronaldo and Messi has completely dominated the football world and Ronaldo has come out on top according to your favored "experts" on more occasions.

As I've been saying all along, footballers and managers say whatever they feel like and their so called opinions are not really set in stone.

Voting however, leaves a record that can never be changed.
Their opinions mean more than ours, and they don’t say ronaldo is the best ever because he’s not in anyone’s eyes.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don’t understand the response
You said that 5 Ballon is not enough as a prove for GOAT. Then I asked, how about another 10? And you agreed.
So we're here just haggling over numbers then, as you agreed that individual award does count toward being GOAT. Isn't it?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This discussion will never end because we are comparing 2 totally different players with the added factor that i suspect a lot of people who post here only judge Cristiano by how he plays today and not how he developed during his carrer.

Deleted member 101472

You said that 5 Ballon is not enough as a prove for GOAT. Then I asked, how about another 10? And you agreed.
So we're here just haggling over numbers then, as you agreed that individual award does count toward being GOAT. Isn't it?
I’m not sure if this is a good example. But if you and I play scrabble 12 times, and you win 7 and I win 5, but my 5 wins I scored 2000 points and in your 7 you scored 1600 who would the better player be?

The ballon d’or usually goes to the player who’s team win the most important stuff. But it’s also based on a season. I obviously can’t be certain, but I’m pretty confident that if everyone who has ever cast a vote for ronaldo as number 1 for a ballon d’or had to cast a vote for best ever player, then at least 71.2% would opt for Messi.

Also,I would say that the level of football messi played during his 4 years in a row winning the award was so far ahead of anything ronaldo has done. If you prefer the style of football that ronaldo has deployed the last 3 seasons to that 08-12 period in messis career, then you just have a completely different view of what’s beautiful about football than the vast majority of people. Which is cool. Weird, but cool.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
How am I clutching?

The experts in the football world think that Ronaldo was the better player 6 out of the past 11 years. FACT!

So if he's been better for the majority of time, surely he's the better player? Simple logic.
Voting for Ronaldo in the Ballon d'Or isn't the same as thinking he is better than Messi. It generally goes to whoever's team has been better that season. There's way too many variables in play to make it as simplistic as that.

I mean, you just need to look at the amount of votes Buffon got at the last Ballon d'Or awards to see that a) it doesn't say all that much and b) that such votes don't necessarily mean they think that player is the best.

Or maybe you're right and Gareth Southgate thinks Modric and Kroos are better than Messi, Chris Coleman thinks the 3 best players in the world are Sergio Ramos, Luka Modric and Harry Kane, Gordon Strachan thinks Modric, Kante and Messi are the best and Michael O'Neill thinks Hazard and Kante are better than Messi.

Either there's something in the water in Britain or Ballon d'Or votes are a totally useless way of gauging who is better.

Edit: I can't be bothered to check but I'd be stunned if either of these guys won the Ballon d'Or in a season where the other's team won the CL. I would suspect not.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
The fact that they failed to retain it actually proves that it is easy to fluke.. just like any tournament where one mistale by the linesman or one mistake by one player can cost you everything. You can fail to win the CL even if you are the best team by a country mile and you win every single game, except the last one.
:lol: Back come the Messi brigade who are so sure of themselves.

:lol: You lot are on a row, Messi's failure to step up in the CL proves it's easy to fluke. :D
I'm sorry but are you being serious here or is that supposed to be a joke? I honestly can't tell.

Charles Miller

I didn't say Messi was better than Pele but if we want a comparison between them it must be someone who got a chance to witness Pele at his prime so that the comparison makes any sense.
Antonio Rattin - Argentina nt in the world cup 1966 - said Pele was better than Maradona.

I think is not absurd to claim Messi is the best in the history but i dont think he is. The goat needs to prove himself in the World Cup. People will say the Champions League is the highest level of football these days, but the fact is, when you play for Barca or Madrid you know you will be in the Champions in the next year. The level of pressure and the drama in the World Cup is much more intense. There is no such thing as the best ever if your country is always one of the favorites and you never win it.

If in 20 years i see the kids saying that CR7 is the best player ever i will not try prove them wrong because i dont think he needs to win the World Cup with Portugal; but Messi needs to lead Argentina to a wc tittle or he should never be mentioned ahead of Maradona and Pele.

Deleted member 101472

Combined goals against Top 6 opponents in la liga (Barcelona, Real, Atletico, Valencia, Sevilla, Bilbao and Villareal) Chose the bolded teams because they are the only team in la liga who when the big two visit their away ground, theres a legitimate chance of an upset. (On average over the course of both their careers)

+

Combined goals against any european opponent who would be considered a big club. Consistently in Europe, does well in their league and has some historical sense of success about them.

Messi- 184 goals total versus the 6 top La liga teams and Arsenal, AC Milan, Manchester City, Bayern Munich, PSG, Chelsea, Roma, Man Utd, Juventus.

Ronaldo- 169 goals versus the top 6 la liga teams and Spurs, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Dortmund, Arsenal, Roma, Man City, PSG, Liverpool, Man Utd, Ac Milan, Chelsea, Inter Milan (includes goals from ronaldo's time in PL)

Oscar.Z.Acosta

So, if I didn’t watch Jimi Hendrix live (an eternal regret but I was a few years late), I can’t rate him as one of the greatest virtuoso musicians of all time, even though every other brilliant musician (as well as millions of others) at the time said the same?

Can those arguing this with regards Pele, Di Stefano, Bobby Charlton, Garrincha, Eusebio, Cruyff et al see the slight flaw in their novel interpretation of an ‘objective assessment’? No? As Peter Green sang...

Don’t worry, these are rhetorical questions; some keep believing Stevie Ray Vaughan is the man...*

By the way, before I have the Lone Star state after my blood, I love SRV (he always acknowledged Jimi was god, but I’ve had some interesting debates with some of his fanatics over the years!). Don’t forget there are many ways to play the guitar brilliantly and here’s another that’s massively underrated, although I’m sure he won a few Ballon d’ors (apologies):

Last edited:

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
How am I clutching?

The experts in the football world think that Ronaldo was the better player 6 out of the past 11 years. FACT!

So if he's been better for the majority of time, surely he's the better player? Simple logic.
No, he’s had a better season arguably, but they’re even on ballon d’ors.

90% of the experts thought ronaldo had the better season yet not ONE of them would say ronaldo is the greatest of all time.

If you pulled them all today and say who is better all time Messi would win in a landslide like he is in this poll

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Time to close that poll, you guys want to win your argument so be it.

Deleted member 101472

Best player ever means what? Best playmaker? Best goalscorer? Most influential player in the development of the game?
This is a hard thing to quantify.

I think all the candidates have a few things in common;

Lots of goals
Lots of trophies (team and individuak)
The best player on their club and national team for an extended period

Once you establish that, it comes down to feeling for me. I’ve seen Zidane, both Ronaldo’s, Kaka, Ronaldinho all live and to my eyes, they don’t compare to seeing what messi does on the field. It’s not even close in that respect for me and it’s what I base my decision off. I’ve met Cristiano Ronaldo (well, shook his hand at Barcelona airport after an el Classico) and as an absolute die hard United fan who was In his late teens and had several ronaldo 7 shirts, it wouldn’t even be hard for me to be biased and say I’ve shook the hand of the greatest to ever do it and have the pleasure of watching him play. He just doesn’t encapsulate the magic of everything that makes this sport so special the way messi does.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This is a hard thing to quantify.

I think all the candidates have a few things in common;

Lots of goals
Lots of trophies (team and individuak)
The best player on their club and national team for an extended period

Once you establish that, it comes down to feeling for me. I’ve seen Zidane, both Ronaldo’s, Kaka, Ronaldinho all live and to my eyes, they don’t compare to seeing what messi does on the field. It’s not even close in that respect for me and it’s what I base my decision off. I’ve met Cristiano Ronaldo (well, shook his hand at Barcelona airport after an el Classico) and as an absolute die hard United fan who was In his late teens and had several ronaldo 7 shirts, it wouldn’t even be hard for me to be biased and say I’ve shook the hand of the greatest to ever do it and have the pleasure of watching him play. He just doesn’t encapsulate the magic of everything that makes this sport so special the way messi does.
You are expressing what you feel based on your emotions, for example with 34 years old I saw Zinedine Zidane doing to Brazil in a WC what Messi never did in his prime, but I am not even going to say nothing more about this because its impossible to say who is the best ever.

Deleted member 101472

You are expressing what you feel based on your emotions, for example with 34 years old I saw Zinedine Zidane doing to Brazil in a WC what Messi never did in his prime, but I am not even going to say nothing more about this because its impossible to say who is the best ever.

This is the jersey from the locker room that he didn’t wear. I paid good $ for it. That was a 10/10 performance of which Zidane had many and Messi has had many, and will have many more.

I can fully see messi replicating that Zidane performance in 2022 against a big name :drool:

Oscar.Z.Acosta

This is the jersey from the locker room that he didn’t wear. I paid good $ for it. That was a 10/10 performance of which Zidane had many and Messi has had many, and will have many more.

I can fully see messi replicating that Zidane performance in 2022 against a big name :drool:
Fantastic shirt - keep it safe!!

And let’s hope there’s more efforts to concentrate on the subjective joys all these artists have brought to us over the years, even if your favourite isn’t the same as mine...

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
:nono: In the WC in his prime Messi never replicated that kind of performance Zidane had, for Barcelona maybe, but sometimes people tend to forget some incredible performances Zidane had for Real Madrid or even Juventus, so I have to say sorry to everyone here I don't agree Messi or Cristiano can be labeled the best ever.

Now if Messi pulls something similar this Summer we can comeback to this kind of discussion.:D

Deleted member 101472

:nono: In the WC in his prime Messi never replicated that kind of performance Zidane had, for Barcelona maybe, but sometimes people tend to forget some incredible performances Zidane had for Real Madrid or even Juventus, so I have to say sorry to everyone here I don't agree Messi or Cristiano can be labeled the best ever.

Now if Messi pulls something similar this Summer we can comeback to this kind of discussion.:D
Yeah but the issue with some of this is someone like James Rodriguez has had a better World Cup than Messi ever has. You Have to draw the line somewhere.

thelittlestelf

Wow that is quite the incredible piece! Very jealous of that :drool::eek:

Deleted member 101472

@SCP

Also, Zidane won the ballon d’or in 2002, and was probably at his peak in the early 2000s, yet France at the World Cup in 2002 didn’t score a single goal and recorded 1 point.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yeah but the issue with some of this is someone like James Rodriguez has had a better World Cup than Messi ever has. You Have to draw the line somewhere.
Small difference Zidane did it with 34, already had scored 2 goals in the WC final vs the same Brazil in 98, scored a goal only a small number of genius could score in the Champions League final vs Leverkusen in 2002.

There is a World and a entire football Ocean between James and Zidane, they don't live on the same football planet.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Are you suggesting that Zidane is better than Messi?

The only thing Zidane is better at is absolutely pointless skill when the opponent is 10 yards away from him.

Iniesta is better.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@Arbitrium Zidane was injured in 2002 he only played his last match for France and he even wasn't fit, judge him for what he did vs Leverkusen in the final, not the WC.

Deleted member 101472

@Arbitrium Zidane was injured in 2002 he only played his last match for France and he even wasn't fit, judge him for what he did vs Leverkusen in the final, not the WC.
I had forgotten about Him being injured. Apologies.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
The insecurity of Messi lovers is so much that when someone mentions Zidane they start shaking and sweating just with the small sin of anyone trying to say Zidane is better than Messi.

I like more Zidane than Messi yes, not saying he is better, just feel he was more elegant than him @Pink Moon

Deleted member 101472

The insecurity of Messi lovers is so much that when someone mentions Zidane they start shaking and sweating just with the small sin of anyone trying to say Zidane is better than Messi.

I like more Zidane than Messi yes, not saying he is better, just feel he was more elegant than him @Pink Moon
Has anyone actually done this? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.