Messi v Ronaldo | Contains double your daily salt allowance

Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

el3mel

Ah here ok, not in Brazil, and his prime was in the 60's, I even know some older Benfica fans who watched Pelé live with Santos vs Benfica in the old Intercontinental Cup, even knowing what they think about Eusébio I suspect a lot of them would debate who was better between Messi and Pelé, reason why is always dangerous to say this one is the best ever imo.
I didn't say Messi was better than Pele but if we want a comparison between them it must be someone who got a chance to witness Pele at his prime so that the comparison makes any sense.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Pele, Maradona, Messi, Cruyff, C.Ronaldo.

In that order in my opinion.
Believe it or not I wouldn't even put Cristiano in the top 5, but its always dangerous this type of lists, I already said a lot of times here, I was crazy about Michael Laudrup even knowing Maradona or even Zico and Platini were better.

Same thing for Cristiano, I liked more Figo or even Futre knowing Cristiano is better than the 2 together.

Bole Top

Beside the bald cnut and Barcelona fanboys is there anyone who can say Messi is better than Pelé, Maradona or Di Stefano?
Fergie himself said he's easily on their level, Simeone said he's certainly better then Maradona and Wenger said he's the best of all time. even some of our players who played with Ronaldo said Messi is the best player they've ever seen, like Rooney and Roy Keane for example. there's plenty of them who think Messi is the best tbf, J. Terry also being one of them.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
People saying “how can we say Pele is the greatest when we haven’t seen him play” is crazy isn’t it.
Absolutely, in the recent times whenever I have time I watch old matches of Laudrup playing for the Danish NT from the 80's, its not the same thing but gives you a better impression related with the development of the game.
I didn't say Messi was better than Pele but if we want a comparison between them it must be someone who got a chance to witness Pele at his prime so that the comparison makes any sense.
Nothing wrong with that, if you ask older Madrid fans they will say Di Stefano or even Puskas, reason why there is never consensus related with the expression the greatest ever.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Fergie himself said he's easily on their level, Simeone said he's certainly better then Maradona and Wenger said he's the best of all time. even some of our players who played with Ronaldo said Messi is the best player they've ever seen, like Rooney and Roy Keane for example. there's plenty of them who think Messi is the best tbf, J. Terry also being one of them.
I respectfully disagree with them. :)

Cal?

CR7 fan
:lol:

The first time you’ve been resoundingly caught out.

The reporter asked if ronaldo was Real Madrid’s greatest ever player.

If you could find something that’s not from someone who’s currently managing him that would be great. Mourinho said similar.
Well, I don't speak Spanish, so I just go with the translations online.

Deleted member 101472

Well, I don't speak Spanish, so I just go with the translations online.
Don’t you find it strange that their are no neutral players/managers who call him the best in history? I think I’ve seen Cruyff, Maradona, Pele, Messi, Di stefano and Beckenbauer all be called that by a fair few neutral professional players/managers (past and present) but not one saying it about ronaldo. From what I can see, not one expert claims he’s the best ever. Why is that? Because undoubtedly, the players and managers know more than you and I ever will.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Don’t you find it strange that their are no neutral players/managers who call him the best in history? I think I’ve seen Cruyff, Maradona, Pele, Messi, Di stefano and Beckenbauer all be called that by a fair few neutral professional players/managers (past and present) but not one saying it about ronaldo. From what I can see, not one expert claims he’s the best ever. Why is that? Because undoubtedly, the players and managers know more than you and I ever will.
Not at all, players and managers say whatever they like all the time. How many players not connected to Barca have called Messi the best ever?

Deleted member 101472

Not at all, players and managers say whatever they like all the time. How many players not connected to Barca have called Messi the best ever?
Off the top of my head

Wenger
Roy Keane
Terry
Rooney
Gerry Armstrong
Mario Gomez

Cal?

CR7 fan
Off the top of my head

Wenger
Roy Keane
Terry
Rooney
Gerry Armstrong
Mario Gomez
They all have their reasons, Arsenal lose to Barca in the last 16 almost every year back then, makes it sound better for Arsene if he builds up Messi as the mythical super hero.

Keane never got over the way he left United, continually badmouthing Sir Alex and Ronaldo at every turn.

I could go on...

Deleted member 101472

Off the top of my head

Wenger
Roy Keane
Terry
Rooney
Gerry Armstrong
Mario Gomez
And I was thinking this was an underwhelming list then realized it contains a top 3 manager in PL history, one of the greatest if not the greatest captain of Man Utd, the best player in Chelsea’s history, man utds record goalscorer, and Gerry Armstrong and Mario Gomez.

Deleted member 101472

They all have their reasons, Arsenal lose to Barca in the last 16 almost every year back then, makes it sound better for Arsene if he builds up Messi as the mythical super hero.

Keane never got over the way he left United, continually badmouthing Sir Alex and Ronaldo at every turn.

I could go on...
@Cal? come on Mate this doesn’t answer my question, why don’t they say it about Ronaldo? Why didn’t Allegri come out and say it?

And if you’re going to use Roy Keane as an example, how come ibrahimovic devoted the beginning of his book to slamming Guardiola and Barcelona but still doesn’t choose ronaldo?

Cal?

CR7 fan
And I was thinking this was an underwhelming list then realized it contains a top 3 manager in PL history, one of the greatest if not the greatest captain of Man Utd, the best player in Chelsea’s history, man utds record goalscorer, and Gerry Armstrong and Mario Gomez.
2 of the top 3 managers ever have said Ronaldo is the best, but of course you'd just claim Sir Alex & Jose are biased.

Frankly, what managers say are best taken with a pinch of salt.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
If Wenger and Mario Gomez say then its sky rocket science, in fact whenever I want to know what best ever is I always want to hear Wenger :lol::lol::lol: or Mario Gomez :lol::lol::lol: come on try something else for heavens sake.

Cal?

CR7 fan
@Cal? come on Mate this doesn’t answer my question, why don’t they say it about Ronaldo? Why didn’t Allegri come out and say it?

And if you’re going to use Roy Keane as an example, how come ibrahimovic devoted the beginning of his book to slamming Guardiola and Barcelona but still doesn’t choose ronaldo?
Did Zlatan choose Messi though? It's not an A or B choice, Zlatan probably thinks himself the best.

Deleted member 101472

If Wenger and Mario Gomez say then its sky rocket science, in fact whenever I want to know what best ever is I always want to hear Wenger :lol::lol::lol: or Mario Gomez :lol::lol::lol: come on try something else for heavens sake.
Yeah wengers opinion completely worthless. Cut it out.

Deleted member 101472

@Cal? can you please answer this question affirmatively.

Why don’t experts call him the best ever?

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Can you explain then why Messi is the best player ever? I already said Cristiano isn't, unless you want to say he is because Guardiola or Xavi say it...

Deleted member 101472

Sir Alex, Jose.... 2 of the best managers EVER
You just asked me not to name people connected to Barcelona who named Messi the best ever :lol::lol:

I’ll be here a while if we are writing a list of people who are connected to Barcelona who call him the best ever. Jesus wept man.

I’m pretty sure Ferguson said he was the best he coached, don’t think he ever claimed him as the best ever.

Deleted member 101472

Is his 5 Ballon d'Or, voted by "experts" not enough prove?
It’s enough to prove he won the individual award for that season. This is a greatest ever discussion. I’m sure some people would change there tune if it was a best ever award, on both sides no doubt.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You just asked me not to name people connected to Barcelona who named Messi the best ever :lol::lol:

I’ll be here a while if we are writing a list of people who are connected to Barcelona who call him the best ever. Jesus wept man.

I’m pretty sure Ferguson said he was the best he coached, don’t think he ever claimed him as the best ever.
Sir Alex said Ronaldo is better than Messi. :smirk:

Anyway, as @Isotope pointed out, the so called experts vote in the Ballon D'or...

Cal?

CR7 fan
It’s enough to prove he won the individual award for that season. This is a greatest ever discussion. I’m sure some people would change there tune if it was a best ever award, on both sides no doubt.
So Ronaldo has been better than Messi in more seasons than Messi has been better than Ronaldo in the opinion of the "experts".

Deleted member 101472

So Ronaldo has been better than Messi in more seasons than Messi has been better than Ronaldo in the opinion of the "experts".
You are completely clutching here. That’s not the basis a best ever discussion would work and you know it.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You are completely clutching here. That’s not the basis a best ever discussion would work and you know it.
How am I clutching?

The experts in the football world think that Ronaldo was the better player 6 out of the past 11 years. FACT!

So if he's been better for the majority of time, surely he's the better player? Simple logic.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Best player ever means what? Best playmaker? Best goalscorer? Most influential player in the development of the game?

Deleted member 101472

Just to answer my original question here since it hasn’t been, the experts don’t call him the best ever because he isn’t. Not one unbiased current/ex professional footballer/managers has said it. He has rightfully been voted the best player in the world many times but collectively it’s not enough for anyone of note to say he’s the best they’ve ever seen. Tells you all you need to know.

I have no issues with preferring ronaldo to messi, but it crosses the line when you call him the best footballer ever. He’s fecking not.

Status
Not open for further replies.