Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Do I understand correctly, putting Ronaldo in top 10 is now disrespecting him?

I don't see that, honestly. In this tier there is quite some competition. Pele, Maradona, Messi himself, Cruyff, Platini, Zico, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Beckenbauer, Laudrup, Ronaldo, Di Stefano, Puskas, Best, Baggio, Garrincha, Eusebio. There are so many of them and they were so brillant players in their own right. All of them have arguments speaking for them. More or less all of them were superior playmakers and dribblers than Ronaldo and many of them have similar statistics. Cristiano (566 in 749), Pele (650 in 694 club appearances), Messi (543 in 628), Zico (456 in 664), Eusebio (423 in 431), Di Stefano (376 in 521), Puskas (748 in 719), Ronaldo (247 in 343) all have similar numbers and ratios.

People that rate Messi higher than Cristiano because he is a better playmaker almost have to rate many of those players higher because they accomplished similar goal outputs with simultaenously better playmaking. Interestingly, note how Puskas scored much more goals than Di Stefano (even for Madrid he was at 321 in 408) but the latter is still regarded as the better player.
Don't let recency fool you. What Messi and Cristiano did seems to be unique and incredible but in the history of the game there were more players who accomplished similar numbers.

Also, those who rate peak or talent over longevity or drive also have arguments to rate many of these players higher than CR7, R9 or Ronaldinho for example.
Dribblers? :lol:

You can argue that some of those you named were perhaps better playermakers (at least that's a proper position), but dribblers? Since when did dribbling become the main aim of football? Do you also rate Denilson as one of the best ever? :lol:

As for fat Ronaldo or Ronaldinho being even in the same conversation? :lol: please refer to the message you quoted.

Br1_ovi

Supports
F.C. Barcelona
Ronaldo doesn't touch the ball offside the box, depends of his teammates to have an opportunity to do something. Barcelona in the last years depends on Messi to almost have goal opportunities.

Mickfoley

I believe the opinion that Ronaldo is better than Messi is only found here and at Real. If it was antoher forum it would be an unpopular opinion. Also, wtf is up with that poll? Please change it back as it's ridiculously disrespectful to the GOAT.

Mickfoley

You can argue that some of those you named were perhaps better playermakers (at least that's a proper position), but dribblers? Since when did dribbling become the main aim of football? Do you also rate Denilson as one of the best ever? :lol:

As for fat Ronaldo or Ronaldinho being even in the same conversation? :lol: please refer to the message you quoted.
You do know the difference in dribbles per game between Messi and Ronnie don't you? You're being defensive in advance. Anyway, for others, its 5 vs 2 on average.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
The narrative to back the argument for Ronaldo seems to be ‘Ron has proved it in more than one league’.

1. Messi has scored more goals against the top 6 English sides than Ronaldo.

2. They both play in the same league now and Messi has had more goals and assists combined since Ronaldo arrived in La Liga.

3. David Silva and Aguero are recognised as two of the best players in the PL right now. They came from LL and have been great for years now. Messi is twice the player of both of them. To suggest he couldn’t do it in the PL when them two have is absurd.

Cal?

CR7 fan
You do know the difference in dribbles per game between Messi and Ronnie don't you? You're being defensive in advance. Anyway, for others, its 5 vs 2 on average.
No I don't and frankly don't care. Dribbling is at best, a side product in attacking play, it is not the aim of the game at all.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I haven't heard anyone suggest he couldn't cut it against Premiership relegation contenders... but you're suggesting that because he looked good against a team that's not going to qualify for the Champions League this season, that it's evidence of greatness.
Okay. What about when he looked good against Man United in those finals? Or when he put 4 past Arsenal. Or the 6 goals including a hat trick v Man City?

If Messi played in England he would be by far the best player in the league. FFS, look at the success Salah is having and he isn't even half the player.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Before the first full season they turned 21:

Messi had played 120 games and scored 42 goals.
Ronaldo had played 168 games and scored 32 goals.

06/07 and 07/08 seasons, Barca scored 78 & 76 goals in La Liga, :rolleyes:
It's easier for a team to score 78 and 76 in league instead of 64 and 58 when you have an U-21 player that can score 14 and 10 goals, instead of 4 or 5. In fact in 2006 Ronaldo scored 9, and united 72.

Maybe what United needed in those years was for Ronaldo to improve as a scorer to keep up with teams like Barcelona, Real, Arsenal or Chelsea, not the other way around.

being dominant in La Liga and scoring lots of goals does not mean being dominant against Real Madrid.
Being dominant in La Liga with 76 and 67 point seasons,

In Ronaldo's first 3 seasons at United, they ended with 75, 77 and 83 points, if something, Ronaldo played for a more dominant team at his league than Barcelona.

Ronaldo's better fitness record at the younger age, combined with the fact he played further from the goal back then were the main reasons Messi has a better career to date goalscoring ratio.
So, your excuse in this point is that playing less than Ronaldo actually helped Messi look better than Ronaldo, because if he played more on his first years he surely would struggle more, not like being in and out of the team can mess with your form and numbers.

And if Ronaldo played further from the goal it was because SAF, the best manager in history, didn't deem him good enough to play further up, as he started scoring, he got to play closer.

But that's still part of what's considered being a better goal scorer through your whole career :lol:.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
That I post facts to argue my point? As supposed to just relying on my impression of the world like the Messi brigade

Reading your posts in this thread is exactly like reading Donald Trump's Twitter.

You constantly name call, stereotype and insult others that think different from you, exactly like Trump.

Also why do you think name calling and making fun of someone because of a genetic condition they cannot control helps your argument in any way?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Yes, dribblers. Because dribbling is one of the best approaches on creating numerical superiority and thus chances. Do you really think it is a coincidence that among the players I've enlisted Ronaldo is the worst at dribbling? Do you think there is one single "great" who wasn't world class in terms of dribbling?

And yes, the Brazil Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were brillant players at their peak. Ronaldo Lima before his injuries was an unbelievable player. Aged 23 he had already scored 115 league goals in 134 appearances. And that in a manner never seen before. Peak-wise, he was ahead of Cristiano for me (and football has been robbed of his actual peak by injuries and sickness).

However, funny that you again cherrypick the few arguments you think you can prove false (although you couldn't) and ignore the others. Again, all the players mentioned had similar statistics to Cristiano and outperformed him in playmaking. I am sure that you have some creative explanation for that again so I am not sure why I am asking, but what do you think of this?

M_R_J_85

Supports
Barcelona

:yawn: I can't tell whether you're a genius or completely insane.

A headerer, a Shooter or a holding up the baller aren't positions either you utter madman.

Dribbling is an action, part of a skill set. No one is saying it's the main aim of football or a position.

Does being able to dribble as well as someone like Messi lead to chances that otherwise wouldn't have been there?

And picking Denilson to make that point, he could dribble and literally nothing else.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well let's all just agree Messi score more goals over their career regardless of the context (include the period in different league, competition, and different position), while Ronaldo score more goals during the period which is comparable (under the same league, same cup competition in same period of time etc)

Cal?

CR7 fan
Okay. What about when he looked good against Man United in those finals? Or when he put 4 past Arsenal. Or the 6 goals including a hat trick v Man City?

If Messi played in England he would be by far the best player in the league. FFS, look at the success Salah is having and he isn't even half the player.
Something we can agree on. :eek:
It's easier for a team to score 78 and 76 in league instead of 64 and 58 when you have an U-21 player that can score 14 and 10 goals, instead of 4 or 5. In fact in 2006 Ronaldo scored 9, and united 72.

Maybe what United needed in those years was for Ronaldo to improve as a scorer to keep up with teams like Barcelona, Real, Arsenal or Chelsea, not the other way around.
As I've pointed out many times and you continue to ignore, Ronaldo was played much further from the opposition goal than Messi was.
Being dominant in La Liga with 76 and 67 point seasons,

In Ronaldo's first 3 seasons at United, they ended with 75, 77 and 83 points, if something, Ronaldo played for a more dominant team at his league than Barcelona.
First we're talking about goal scoring, now you've suddenly decided to go to points accumulated because it suits your point better? :lol:

The fact is Barca scored a lot more than United did when they were 19-21yo.

So, your excuse in this point is that playing less than Ronaldo actually helped Messi look better than Ronaldo, because if he played more on his first years he surely would struggle more, not like being in and out of the team can mess with your form and numbers.

And if Ronaldo played further from the goal it was because SAF, the best manager in history, didn't deem him good enough to play further up, as he started scoring, he got to play closer.

But that's still part of what's considered being a better goal scorer through your whole career :lol:.
It's not an excuse, it's just a fact. If you average 1 goal every 5 games for at a young age, the more games you play back then, the more it screws up the overall goalscoring ratio.

Fact it Ronaldo has now scored more goals in his career than Messi, both for clubs and country.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Yet he ignores the fact that Messi has played further away from goal than Ronaldo in the last 5 years, but still managed to score similar amounts whilst assistsing more.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yes, dribblers. Because dribbling is one of the best approaches on creating numerical superiority and thus chances. Do you really think it is a coincidence that among the players I've enlisted Ronaldo is the worst at dribbling? Do you think there is one single "great" who wasn't world class in terms of dribbling?

And yes, the Brazil Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were brillant players at their peak. Ronaldo Lima before his injuries was an unbelievable player. Aged 23 he had already scored 115 league goals in 134 appearances. And that in a manner never seen before. Peak-wise, he was ahead of Cristiano for me (and football has been robbed of his actual peak by injuries and sickness).

However, funny that you again cherrypick the few arguments you think you can prove false (although you couldn't) and ignore the others. Again, all the players mentioned had similar statistics to Cristiano and outperformed him in playmaking. I am sure that you have some creative explanation for that again so I am not sure why I am asking, but what do you think of this?
That's just, absurd. If you seriously think of dribbling as some kind of vital attribute in footballers, I don't know what to say. :houllier:

Dribbling is, at best, a side product of attacking play and dribbling for dribbling's sake is just as bad as passing for passing's sake.

Blue part, you're entitled to a opinion. Let's just say Cristiano's worst season in the last decade was better than Luiz' best ever. :smirk:

Red part, are you sure? The assists figures don't go back that much, but are you sure any of them beat Cristiano Ronaldo is terms of assists?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Di Stefano? Actually I am not sure about that one, but I never heard people say he is great dribbler, and from the very few footages I watched, his dribbling was way less impressive than Ronaldo's youtube dribbling video.

For your information, Di Stefano has been widely regarded among top 3 or 4 GOAT in most people's list. (before Messi and Ronaldo time)

Also, Ronaldo used to be one of the best dribbler in the world when he was at United, and during his early Madrid career. Most people have got short memory here.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Yet he ignores the fact that Messi has played further away from goal than Ronaldo in the last 5 years, but still managed to score similar amounts whilst assistsing more.
Since 13/14, Ronaldo has outscored Messi in 4 out of 5 seasons.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That's just, absurd. If you seriously think of dribbling as some kind of vital attribute in footballers, I don't know what to say. :houllier:

Dribbling is, at best, a side product of attacking play and dribbling for dribbling's sake is just as bad as passing for passing's sake.

Blue part, you're entitled to a opinion. Let's just say Cristiano's worst season in the last decade was better than Luiz' best ever. :smirk:

Red part, are you sure? The assists figures don't go back that much, but are you sure any of them beat Cristiano Ronaldo is terms of assists?
Are you saying being able to dribble the ball well is not a vital part for an attacking player? That's silly even for your standards. Players that can beat a man while dribbling are sought after for a reason. They're scarce and beating a man one on one automatically gives you the advantage of numbers. It's not the be all and end all of football since you don't get points for a dribble, but saying it's at best a side product of attacking play is ludicrous.

Dribbling for dribbling sake being useless means nothing. Building a dam for the sake of building a dam is useless too, but I'd value it in case of a flood.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This is obviously because Messi was busy dazzling us all with his close control and experimentations with hair color and beard length.
Don't forget starring in those 'awesome' lays commercials

Cal?

CR7 fan
Are you saying being able to dribble the ball well is not a vital part for an attacking player? That's silly even for your standards. Players that can beat a man while dribbling are sought after for a reason. They're scarce and beating a man one on one automatically gives you the advantage of numbers. It's not the be all and end all of football since you don't get points for a dribble, but saying it's at best a side product of attacking play is ludicrous.

Dribbling for dribbling sake being useless means nothing. Building a dam for the sake of building a dam is useless too, but I'd value it in case of a flood.
There are plenty of attributes that are a lot more important than dribbling: shooting, passing, crossing, pace, timing, etc. Dribbling comes quite far down the list.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Well let's all just agree Messi score more goals over their career regardless of the context (include the period in different league, competition, and different position), while Ronaldo score more goals during the period which is comparable (under the same league, same cup competition in same period of time etc)
Since 13/14, Ronaldo has outscored Messi in 4 out of 5 seasons.
This is obviously because Messi was busy dazzling us all with his close control and experimentations with hair color and beard length.
You do realise that since Ronaldo moved to La Liga, Messi has scored and assisted more than Ronaldo. Here are the figures

Goal Ass
463 174 Messi
445 120 Ronaldo

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You do realise that since Ronaldo moved to La Liga, Messi has scored and assisted more than Ronaldo. Here are the figures

Goals Assists
Messi 463 174
Ronaldo 445 120
Thank you, it's not even close especially when it comes to assists.

Cal?

CR7 fan

Goals Assists
463 174 Messi
445 120 Ronaldo
Ronaldo has scored more than Messi in La Liga & Champions League since 09/10.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Games played

Messi - 467

Ronaldo - 430

How dishonest can you get? It's incredible
Funny how it was all about games to goal ratio earlier when talking about all time goals. Suddenly everything changed. :smirk:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Goal Ass
463 174 Messi
445 120 Ronaldo
You are actually correct. Ronaldo did score more goals in recent 4 to 5 years, but Messi scored more overall (especially in 2012), in all competition (including cups other than league and CL), but more appearances though.

So overall number Messi wins, but goal per game ratio Ronaldo is better.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
There are plenty of attributes that are a lot more important than dribbling: shooting, passing, crossing, pace, timing, etc. Dribbling comes quite far down the list.
What list? The list differs from player to player and from position to position. You can't say for instance crossing is more important than dribbling period, that's just silly. I would type some examples, but I don't really have to explain that a winger has more use for dribbling than a striker and a central midfielder has more use for passing than a goal keeper, do I?

Cal?

CR7 fan
You are actually correct. Ronaldo did score more goals in recent 4 to 5 years, but Messi scored more overall (especially in 2012), in all competition (including cups other than league and CL), but more appearances though.

So overall number Messi wins, but goal per game ratio Ronaldo is better.
So Messi had one year of great form in 2012, scores more in the lesser competitions like Copa del Rey. Glad we cleared that up.

Cal?

CR7 fan
What list? The list differs from player to player and from position to position. You can't say for instance crossing is more important than dribbling period, that's just silly. I would type some examples, but I don't really have to explain that a winger has more use for dribbling than a striker and a central midfielder has more use for passing than a goal keeper, do I?
It's the Messi brigade and their obsession with dribbling being the ultimate attribute for footballers.

In Rainbows

It's the Messi brigade and their obsession with dribbling being the ultimate attribute for footballers.
It's not just dribbling though is it? Messi is a better passer and creator.

I seriously wonder how you guys viewed Ronaldinho, Zidane, etc... when they didn't score many goals.

Cal?

CR7 fan
:yawn: I can't tell whether you're a genius or completely insane.

A headerer, a Shooter or a holding up the baller aren't positions either you utter madman.

Dribbling is an action, part of a skill set. No one is saying it's the main aim of football or a position.

Does being able to dribble as well as someone like Messi lead to chances that otherwise wouldn't have been there?

And picking Denilson to make that point, he could dribble and literally nothing else.
Being able to head like Ronaldo leads to goals being scored that otherwise wouldn't have been?

The point is that only Messi fans seem to obsess over dribbling.

Cal?

CR7 fan
It's not just dribbling though is it? Messi is a better passer and creator.

I seriously wonder how you guys viewed Ronaldinho, Zidane, etc... when they didn't score many goals.
It was already pointed out many times that Ronaldo assisted more than Messi in the CL.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I think crossing is actually the least important skill for an attacker. It is enough if you are decent at it and besides that more important for full backs. There is a reason that you don't see players like Beckham anymore. By now, I've heard multiple coaches say its statistically the least probable way to score and the easiest to defend. At the moment, there is arguably no world class crosser in the game and no club really misses them since 90% play with inverted wingers nowadays.

Dribbling is far more important. From a purely technical point of view, it is up there with passing. Even shooting is less important. There are so many brillant goal scorers at the moment who are only averager shot takers.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I think crossing is actually the least important skill for an attacker. It is enough if you are decent at it and besides that more important for full backs. There is a reason that you don't see players like Beckham anymore. By now, I've heard multiple coaches say its statistically the least probable way to score and the easiest to defend. At the moment, there is arguably no world class crosser in the game and no club really misses them since 90% play with inverted wingers nowadays.

Dribbling is far more important. From a purely technical point of view, it is up there with passing. Even shooting is less important. There are so many brillant goal scorers at the moment who are only averager shot takers.
We've obviously not going to agree on any of this. In order to make Messi look good, you'll insist on dribbling being the most important aspect of football. I disagree.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Games played

Messi - 467

Ronaldo - 430

How dishonest can you get? It's incredible
Okay so i didn’t mention the appearances, but Messi scored 18 more goals and 50 assists more in only 30 more appearances.

Ronaldo would never ever be involved in 68 more goals in them 30 appearances so that nulifies your counter argument.

Ronaldo has scored more than Messi in La Liga & Champions League since 09/10.
Talk about using stats to fit your argument. So Cup games don’t count now do they. Messi involved in 68 more goals in 30 more appearances since moving to La Liga. In 09 Ronaldo was 24 Messi was 21, and still has more goals and assists.

Funny how it was all about games to goal ratio earlier when talking about all time goals. Suddenly everything changed. :smirk:
Yet Messi has a higher goals to games ratio and assist ratio in their careers.

Messi is only about 30 career goals behind Ronaldo in 150 ish games less.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
It was already pointed out many times that Ronaldo assisted more than Messi in the CL.
Assists and Playmaking/passing are not same thing though buddy.
Gred Muller is still the highest assists in Bayern Munich history, still no one considers him a great playmaker.

not discounting his assists, just saying that play maker and assists are not always same.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Okay so i didn’t mention the appearances, but Messi scored 18 more goals and 50 assists more in only 30 more appearances.

Ronaldo would never ever be involved in 68 more goals in them 30 appearances so that nulifies your counter argument.

Talk about using stats to fit your argument. So Cup games don’t count now do they. Messi involved in 68 more goals in 30 more appearances since moving to La Liga. In 09 Ronaldo was 24 Messi was 21, and still has more goals and assists.

Yet Messk has a higher goals to games ratio and assist ratio in their careers.

Messi is only about 30 career goals behind Ronaldo in 150 ish games less.
It is true that most clubs don't care about domestic clubs nowadays. No?

Also, please stop adding goals and assists, it just makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I believe the opinion that Ronaldo is better than Messi is only found here and at Real. If it was antoher forum it would be an unpopular opinion. Also, wtf is up with that poll? Please change it back as it's ridiculously disrespectful to the GOAT.
It’s not disrespectful to Ronaldo at all what are you on about?!

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
It is true that most clubs don't care about domestic clubs nowadays. No?

Also, please stop adding goals and assists, it just makes no sense at all. :rolleyes:
Of course clubs care about domestic cups, maybe not the league cup as much but spanish clubs do care about the Del Rey and english the FA Cup. Why do they play their best or almost best teams if they dont care?

You are taking out cup games to fit your argument.

Goals and assists matter when we are discussing who is the better player. Why is that not relevant.

Having to disclude facts and stats to back your argument shows that you are struggling with proving Ron to be as good as Messi.

Status
Not open for further replies.