Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Did I say he was poor in the CL final 2015? :confused:
"Messi has not scored a single CL QF goal since 2013, rarely off form? :lol:"

This strongly insinuates that you believe a lack of scoring translates to a lack of form. So yes, yes you did.

You mental gymnast you.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Ronaldo scored about 5 league goals before Christmas. Messi has never done that in his entire career. A few games not scoring per season in a tournament is not off form. Not scoring many for a few months which Ron did is off form.
...and like I’ve previously said, doesn’t that show how much Ronaldo has picked it up and Messi has stalled that even after such a horrendous start to the year he still has more goals than Messi? And again, just hysterical Barca/Messi fanbois are trying to argue success in the league vs mid table clubs should be held to a higher standard than Ronaldo scoring round after round whilst carrying Madrid at a historic pace/level never before seen in the CL vs the top European clubs in the world. This really is the twilight zone considering this is what the fanbois are grasping on to as an argument - at least in their eyes :houllier:

Cal?

CR7 fan
You guys are really ridiculous trying to fit everything around your agenda.

Makes him more excited, or always the main aim. It is the same thing.
Are you seriously arguing that Real Madrid prioritize La Liga over the Champions League? :rolleyes:
No but you insinuated that he has been off form in the CL latter stages since 2013. Which is BS.
He's been off form 4 out of 5 seasons, unless you think that the QF is the round Barca should be getting knocked out at.

Cal?

CR7 fan
"Messi has not scored a single CL QF goal since 2013, rarely off form? :lol:"

This strongly insinuates that you believe a lack of scoring translates to a lack of form. So yes, yes you did.

You mental gymnast you.
No, I was pointing out that he's been off form 4 out of 5 seasons.

Unless you think a on-form Messi is only CL QF level.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Are you seriously arguing that Real Madrid prioritize La Liga over the Champions League? :rolleyes:

He's been off form 4 out of 5 seasons, unless you think that the QF is the round Barca should be getting knocked out at.
Okay then, so Barca prioritise the league and Real the CL. Because Barca have won more league titles and Real the CL in the last 5 years.

Maybe that is why Messi has been better in the league over them years and Ron the CL. Because they put most of their focus on the one they prioritise.

Sounds to me like a very poor excuse to cover up why Ron was so poor before Christmas.

You can’t just use a player being better in the CL as your argument over who is better.

Benzema is the 5th top scorer in CL history, RVN is 4th.

But Henry and Zlatan were better than them.

Zlatan and Buffon have never won the CL, but you wouldn’t argue that lesser players that have won it are better than them.

It is ridiculous to base your whole argument on the CL.

Deleted member 101472

This whole CL is the priority argument is so selective. That’s what I’d preach about too if I wasn’t as successful as I should be in the league. Real Madrid set out to win everything, not winning the league is absolutely a failure for them.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
This whole CL is the priority argument is so selective. That’s what I’d preach about too if I wasn’t as successful as I should be in the league. Real Madrid set out to win everything, not winning the league is absolutely a failure for them.
Exactly mate, also see my above post for that.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
If you can’t win everything, what’s the best thing you can win? The BIGGEST thing.

CL > League.
aka
Kings of Europe > Local champions.

...why am I even having to explain this...

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Anyways I’m off and gonna get some shuteye, Holy Trinity seems to have just ignored what I’ve mentioned to him since he probably can’t think of a response that suits a narrative for him. Maybe he responds by the time I come back here :p

Deleted member 101472

Anyways I’m off and gonna get some shuteye, Holy Trinity seems to have just ignored what I’ve mentioned to him since he probably can’t think of a response that suits a narrative for him. Maybe he responds by the time I come back here :p
Hopefully you don’t. Some of the most deliberately antagonizing posts I’ve seen in my time on the caf.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
No, I was pointing out that he's been off form 4 out of 5 seasons.

Unless you think a on-form Messi is only CL QF level.
The way you worded it, made it seem there was a connection between form and goals scored. It's not my fault you worded it wrong and try backpedaling in your next post.
I don't even disagree, I'm just allergic to fallacies.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Okay then, so Barca prioritise the league and Real the CL. Because Barca have won more league titles and Real the CL in the last 5 years.

Maybe that is why Messi has been better in the league over them years and Ron the CL. Because they put most of their focus on the one they prioritise.

Sounds to me like a very poor excuse to cover up why Ron was so poor before Christmas.

You can’t just use a player being better in the CL as your argument over who is better.

Benzema is the 5th top scorer in CL history, RVN is 4th.

But Henry and Zlatan were better than them.

Zlatan and Buffon have never won the CL, but you wouldn’t argue that lesser players that have won it are better than them.

It is ridiculous to base your whole argument on the CL.
You seriously think Barca prioritize La Liga over the CL? :lol:

Anyway, so what if Ronaldo was in bad form for a few months? Is that really the key issue in the discussion of the GOAT?

It's even more ridiculous to base your argument on the league and brush off the bigger competition.

MJJ

Messi is rarely off form though. Which has to be counted in his favour ahead of Ronaldo. He doesn’t score in 2 CL games, doesn’t make him poor or off form.

Imagine Messi scoring only 2 league goals by November.
He hasnt progressed past the QF stage for three years now, suggests a dip in performance in the CL.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Hopefully you don’t. Some of the most deliberately antagonizing posts I’ve seen in my time on the caf.
Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean they are “antagonizing”. That’s not how arguments work but sure.

MJJ

You seriously think Barca prioritize La Liga over the CL? :lol:

Anyway, so what if Ronaldo was in bad form for a few months? Is that really the key issue in the discussion of the GOAT?

It's even more ridiculous to base your argument on the league and brush off the bigger competition.
Also, argue later. writup now.

Cal?

CR7 fan
By the same logic, continually getting knocked out at the QF is worse for Barca.

The point is that IF you can win one of the league or the CL, every club will go for the CL.

Deleted member 101472

Just because you don’t agree doesn’t mean they are “antagonizing”. That’s not how arguments work but sure.
How am I supposed to agree or disagree with stuff like “fanboi” or “hehehe” or your just blatant attempts at winding people up?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
How am I supposed to agree or disagree with stuff like “fanboi” or “hehehe” or your jusy blatant attempts at winding people up?
I’m literally stating my stance and view. If that winds you up, I don’t know what to say really other than it’s an argument from both sides so don’t let it get to you or take it personally or anything just as I don’t.

Sorry, next time I’ll say fanboy...on my phone and autocorrects to that, didn’t even realize until now. And last I checked I’m allowed to laugh at things and have a chuckle at things I deem funny, jeez.

Deleted member 101472

By the same logic, continually getting knocked out at the QF is worse for Barca.

The point is that IF you can win one of the league or the CL, every club will go for the CL.
You don’t know that. It’s an assumption. Besides i didn’t mention barca, it should just be clear that Real Madrid set out to win everything. They should be going for the treble every year and anything less has to be held against them.

Deleted member 101472

I’m literally stating my stance and view. If that winds you up, I don’t know what to say really other than it’s an argument from both sides so don’t let it get to you or take it personally or anything.

Sorry, next time I’ll say fanboy...on my phone and autocorrects to that, didn’t even realize until now. And last I checked I’m allowed laugh at things and have a chuckle at things I deem funny, jeez.
Your posts make you seem like one of the biggest wankers on this forum. The fact that you’ve spelt it “fanboi” so many times that your phone autocorrects to it is the icing on the cake. I hope you wake up a better poster after your shut eye. At the very least, grow up and use respectable language

Cal?

CR7 fan
You don’t know that. It’s an assumption. Besides i didn’t mention barca, it should just be clear that Real Madrid set out to win everything. They should be going for the treble every year and anything less has to be held against them.
You'd say the same about Barca. No?

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
I don’t know. One could argue Pele wasn’t as great dribbler as Maradona, but still regarded by many as the greater player (or equal at the very least). Di Stefano wasn’t as great dribbler as Cruyff, but most would put them at least in same tier, or even higher.

Thing is, comparing younger Ronaldo at his very peak (dribbling peak), I don’t really see Pele or Di Stefano were necessarily better dribbler than that Ronaldo.

Pele was better than Cristiano when it came to dribbling.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
There's lot to admire in Ronaldo but why do so many so-called United fans on here love him so much?

He's a ridiculously great player but still fecked off from our club at the cusp of his peak, cheats relentlessly and is an all-round narcissist.
He won us a lot. He wanted to go to Madrid but still gave us an extra year. Cheats? :lol: and you must know him personally to think he is a narcissist?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Your posts make you seem like one of the biggest wankers on this forum. The fact that you’ve spelt it “fanboi” so many times that your phone autocorrects to it is the icing on the cake. I hope you wake up a better poster after your shut eye. At the very least, grow up and use respectable language
:rolleyes:

It’s only this thread I get this passionate about, anywhere else on the forum I’m nowhere as dialled in or riled up for.

And I have been using respectable language. It’s probably the disagreeing with strong opinions part which rubs the wrong way which I get but like I said, no need to take things personally or anything...it’s an internet debate afterall and just passions going after one another.

But yea thanks for your $0.02, I’ll definitely take into consideration moving forward.

JarkiJarko

Ronaldo might have had a better career by the time each of them retires, depending on what floats your boat. But the better player? Come off it. He's absolutely phenomenal, don't get me wrong. One of a very, very select few - but Messi is one of a kind.

This whole debate has been too Americanised for my liking. All this emphasis on stats, 'three-peat' etc. Of course, trophies are a part of any great player's legacy, but they are won by a team. That both are such outstandingly fine players dictates that they were always going to spend their careers playing for some of the best club sides in the world, and with many of the greatest players. Trophies were always going to flow. If you obsess over stats on paper, then sure, you can call Ronaldo the best.

But football ain't played on paper. It's played on the pitch, and I don't know how anyone who actually watches football and appreciates its intricacies can say that Ronaldo is the better player. He's wonderful, but nowhere near as complete as Messi, and hasn't made jaws drop as consistently as Messi either.

Ronaldo is what's 'in' right now, but some of these comments are embarrassing. Messi 'bottled it' last night? Seems this is the case whenever he fails to single-handedly won the match, or when he doesn't inspire Barcelona's ropey defenders to produce a ten-out-of-ten performance. Or 'Ronaldo has won an international trophy, so he's not a choker, whereas Messi fluffs his lines on the international stage'. Ronaldo was hardly I'm stellar form at Euro 2016 - certainly not as impressive overall Messi was at the World Cup 2014, though I'll concede he probably didn't deserve that Player of the Tournament gong - and played almost no part in the final. If Higuain hadn't ballsed up his one-on-one against Neuer or failed to hold his line for the offside goal in the 2014 final - neither of which Messi can be blamed for - then Messi could easily have been the 'clutch' International player, with Ronaldo the so-called 'bottler.'

Suspect this post will fall on deaf cyber-ears as it doesn't pass itself off as 'fact!' or needlessly denigrate either man enough. Nor does it focus on the last year above all else, pretending that all else before never happened. But when discussing who the greatest player is, I'd like to see a bit more emphasis on the actual playing side. And for me, Messi takes that accolade, all day and every day.
best post I've read in this thread since ... ever?

unfortunately for most kids football these days is all about scoring, doesn't matter what else you bring to the table. Ronaldo is a great scorer, not Gerd Müller like but probably the best of this generation. Messi isn't a scorer, he's scoring a lot too but that's more of a bonus. It's the other things he does that distinguish him from Ronaldo and everybody else in football today. tbh I kinda feel sorry for people that can't see that because - as I said- for most kids it's just about scoring. They can't recognize what Messi is able to do on the pitch and it's especially these things that make him one of the very best of all time. In that regard Messi is on the same level as Pele, Maradona, Cruyff. Ronaldoisn't that kind of player. And that's not a knock on Ronaldo. He's simply a different kind of player, a clinical finisher. That's why I always have a hard time regarding this thread. It's almost impossible to compare Messi and Ronaldo because they're so different yet when people do, they always focus on scoring. Guess that means Rogerio Ceni is the best keeper and thus the best player ever. Doing it all on both sides of the pitch :P

Status
Not open for further replies.