• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Page 229 and we still have people compare their career numbers as if the way their games are distributed throughout their careers has no effect on those numbers.

Ronaldo should have been injured more often as a youngster so his goal per game averages look better.
Except Messi was playing as many games at the same age so injuries got feck all to do with it anything... Messi was better younger, and its looking like Ronaldo will have the better twilight though still not certain.

17 yo Messi 1 European games, 17yo Ronaldo 3 Euro games (2 in Uefa Cup)
18 yo Messi 6 European games, 18yo Ronaldo 5 European Games
19yo Messi 5 games, Ronaldo 8 games
20yo Messi 9 games, Ronnie 8 games
21yo Messi 12 games, Ronnie 11 games

Total Messi 32, Ronaldo 34 (2 uefa cup)

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Except Messi was playing as many games at the same age so injuries got feck all to do with it anything... Messi was better younger, and its looking like Ronaldo will have the better twilight though still not certain.

17 yo Messi 1 European games, 17yo Ronaldo 3 Euro games (2 in Uefa Cup)
18 yo Messi 6 European games, 18yo Ronaldo 5 European Games
19yo Messi 5 games, Ronaldo 8 games
20yo Messi 9 games, Ronnie 8 games
21yo Messi 12 games, Ronnie 11 games

Total Messi 32, Ronaldo 34 (2 uefa cup)
Those numbers aren't right... Ronaldo played 10 as a 20yo for example, Messi only played in 5 as an 18yo. Can't be bothered checking everything. It doesn't matter though, I still don't understand if you're replying to him to just say that his stats are stupid (which I agree with) or if you're actually trying to make a point out of these and think they're meaningful. What's even the point of grouping together games like CL finals and a Uefa Cup playoff?

Deleted member 101472

One thing that’s absolutely certain in this debate is that between the ages of 30-33, ronaldo is the greatest footballer in history.

I really can’t see messi getting close to what ronaldo has done this past 3 seasons. But I do think that messis age 20-30 was a few levels above Ronaldo’s.

MrEleson

Whats he won? Messi's won the leaguee.

Here some more European stats for you seeing as its all you care about.
You're also trying to compare one particular round to half a season...

European Goals:
His Highness King of the CL Ronaldo: Goals per Game in Europe = 0.77
Messi Goals per Game in Europe = 0.8

League Goals:
Ronaldo: 0.77
Messi: 0.87

Somebodies better... tell me again which is better 0.8 or 0.77 in Europe and 0.87 vs 0.77 in the league?
Pretty sure Messi is better at everything per match and 90 minutes over their careers.

So no, both this season and over their career, you can make an arguement for it, but it's not justifiable using the way you measure them based on goals alone because Ronaldo loses in every department.
Ronaldo didn't score in his first 30 European games which affects his ratio. If you did it from when he started scoring then his scoring record is through the roof.

For example, Ronaldo scored 100 CL goals for Real Madrid ALONE before Messi even touched 100 goals for Barca in the competition despite playing there for 5 years before Ron.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
One thing that’s absolutely certain in this debate is that between the ages of 30-33, ronaldo is the greatest footballer in history.

I really can’t see messi getting close to what ronaldo has done this past 3 seasons. But I do think that messis age 20-30 was a few levels above Ronaldo’s.
I'm gonna put it out there that I still think so Stefano makes that debatable. But what Ronaldo's done over the last three years makes it arguable that he's better than di Stefano overall and I didn't think he was in the conversation three years ago.

I don't think he has been a better player than Messi but he has a more interesting story at this point, in my view. And that matters just as much when old folk pass on their memories of who the greatest was.

Deleted member 101472

I'm gonna put it out there that I still think so Stefano makes that debatable. But what Ronaldo's done over the last three years makes it arguable that he's better than di Stefano overall and I didn't think he was in the conversation three years ago.

I don't think he has been a better player than Messi but he has a more interesting story at this point, in my view. And that matters just as much when old folk pass on their memories of who the greatest was.
I imagine the robots will be more inclined to value stats over aesthetics. I’m pretty confident that history will remember ronaldo as the better player.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He did the same in 08/09. I think since 2008 he has probably been better in the CL than the league in most seasons. Can't think of any other player that applies to over such a long period. I'm sure it's part conditioning and part mental. In 08/09 he had injury issues and I think he really had to choose to prioritise. Looks like the same is happening in the last few years. Pretty amazing how much better he's been in the CL in the latter part of his career. The defining narrative of his career will be how often he flipped the script - he might be totally unique in that.
The transformation for the Champions is something enviable and tremendously complicated. It requires a lot of mental strength. An absolute control over every game, every minute, something like Federer / Nadal at this point in their careers.
He has changed in many aspects, matured a lot, and maintains the same competitive level.
An example is the bicycle goal of the other day.
He has tried dozens of times, and always ends up in some funny facebook video, however being tenacious and insisting he scored it in a quarter final of Champions.

I agree. There have been many Cristianos and many Messis in these years, but I think that Cristiano exposed himself more and had many ups and downs that make his story more surprising.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Why my friend would only Madrid count? Pretty sure alot of his followers are quick enough to point out his CL with United when counting trophies but again its besides the point. Stats can't be used, nor really can trophy count. I mean Anderson has more PL's than Gerrard and the same amount of CL. Plus there is the fact when Ronaldo joined RM he was closer to his peak then Messi age wise and is 2 years older. Messi may or may not have 2 years left after Ronaldo hangs up his boots but atm it looks like both could play until nearly 40.

What I'm trying to point out to Cal, is you can't use one stick to beat a guy but not judge the other the same. There is the tiniest difference between them so much its hard to call whose better but the majority do plump for Messi. He can't give Ronaldo a free pass for taking 3 months off whilst blasting Messi for a bad 90 minutes in Rome (though he's doing his damndest to try). Its incredibly one sided.
I think both view point is valid. As a youngster, Messi (as forward) is better goalscorer than Ronaldo, who is playing in 442 traditional winger role.

But when things are more comparable (similar role similar position same competition same period), Ronaldo is better goalscorer.

Last edited:

Siddharth Sekhar

I saw an interesting video on ESPN today where the discussion was whether Messi is criticized as often as Ronaldo.

The reaction of the panelists was outrageous. They claim they criticize Ronaldo for losing a half yard of pace but Messi remains at his brilliant best.
Yet, Ronaldo has been the top scorer in Europe for the past 6 seasons and dragged Madrid to 8 straight semifinals.

Nobody addresses the elephant in the room that Messi just doesn't turn up for the big UCL games anymore. Not always like Ronaldo, anyway.
In spite of all his greatness, the Messi fans are still insecure of his shortcomings. It's always someone else to blame. Higuain, Valverde, crap Barca squad ...

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
I saw an interesting video on ESPN today where the discussion was whether Messi is criticized as often as Ronaldo.

The reaction of the panelists was outrageous. They claim they criticize Ronaldo for losing a half yard of pace but Messi remains at his brilliant best.
Yet, Ronaldo has been the top scorer in Europe for the past 6 seasons and dragged Madrid to 8 straight semifinals.

Nobody addresses the elephant in the room that Messi just doesn't turn up for the big UCL games anymore. Not always like Ronaldo, anyway.
In spite of all his greatness, the Messi fans are still insecure of his shortcomings. It's always someone else to blame. Higuain, Valverde, crap Barca squad ...
It’s the trend, don’t you know?

Exonerate Messi of all accountability and don’t even give him an ounce of blame. Nothing ever was his fault, is his fault, or will be his fault - never. And the ‘crappy Barca’ squad bs is one of the most hysterical excuses ever.
I don’t get where this silly notion came from that Barca have some MLS quality side incapable of winning anything when they’re still a top5 club in the world and 10+ points clear in La Liga.

Wasn’t all the talk at the beginning of the year when Madrid were starting slow that they’re going to walk La Liga and go further than Madrid in the CL and how they’ve turned it around and back to being ahead of RM and Ronaldo’s done? They also have a better goals against + goals for and from what I recall, Barca fans were saying they had the better starters having heard them say,

Messi > Ronaldo
Suarez > Benzema
Coutinho > Isco
Ter Stegan > Navas
Busquets > Casemiro
Umtiti > Varane
Pique > Ramos
Dembele > Bale
Alba > Marcelo.

Odd how that’s changed isn’t it since Messi no-showed and it somehow became an instant excuse for him/them. I don’t recall any of this to begin the year with, the whole Ronaldo has an infinitely better team than Messi does...funny how that works...
:lol:

It’s unfortunate though how if me or someone else mentions something along those lines it’s deemed unacceptable or trolling or whatever they want to call it - just because it goes against their belief. Don’t get what’s so hard to just say ‘yea, you know what he doesn’t have a terrible squad by any means and if anything it’s more than capable of winning as any other club in the world’.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
I think it's fair to say that at different phases, one has outshone the other. They have consistently been top 2 for a decade or more, which is ridiculous. Messi obviously has more natural talent, while, ronaldo, being no slouch in the talent department either, makes up with his insane grit, huger and drive. Frankly speaking, almost nobody would have expected ronnie to perform at this level at 33. We are lucky to witness one of the greatest rivalries in sports history, and this will be talked about for years to come.

El Pasillo

Okay then, so Barca prioritise the league and Real the CL. Because Barca have won more league titles and Real the CL in the last 5 years.

Maybe that is why Messi has been better in the league over them years and Ron the CL. Because they put most of their focus on the one they prioritise.

Sounds to me like a very poor excuse to cover up why Ron was so poor before Christmas.

You can’t just use a player being better in the CL as your argument over who is better.

Benzema is the 5th top scorer in CL history, RVN is 4th.

But Henry and Zlatan were better than them.

Zlatan and Buffon have never won the CL, but you wouldn’t argue that lesser players that have won it are better than them.

It is ridiculous to base your whole argument on the CL.
Well, Buffon has consistently performed on UCL KO-stage whereas Zlatan has been pretty much underwhelming on that area.

And Benzema being 5th top scorer in CL history is actually an incredible achivement considering he was the 2nd or even 3rd fiddle for a majority of his career, never took penalties/freekicks to inflate goal tally etc.

Zlatan & Henry may have been better goalscorers than Benz, which doesn't say much since they used to be the focal points for a big part of their respective careers.

Ronaldo has the same status as them at Madrid and his numbers completely obliterate them.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Another difference between Cristiano and Messi is that the former works harder than any other player in the world despite his already immense body of work and continuously works towards improving himself while the latter despite being the more talented, isn’t nearly as motivated. History judges and that edge will always be in Ronaldo’s favour without question. His drive and that will to not settle is something which the world knows of and something which he lives by so religiously he unfairly at times gets a bad reputation/attitude because of it. He will most definitely have the better laurels when it’s all said and done at this rate with that determination.

His mentality and relentlessness is unmatched and quite frankly at a level never seen before. The type of leader and accountability he has vs Messi isn’t even up for debate as it’d be an embarrassment to even begin comparing.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots

Messi would tremble in his boots.

Look at that calmness and trust in his abilities ...completely unphased.

Un-fecking-real.

Rito

Supports
Chelsea
Another difference between Cristiano and Messi is that the former works harder than any other player in the world despite his already immense body of work and continuously works towards improving himself while the latter despite being the more talented, isn’t nearly as motivated. History judges and that edge will always be in Ronaldo’s favour without question. His drive and that will to not settle is something which the world knows of and something which he lives by so religiously he unfairly at times gets a bad reputation/attitude because of it. He will most definitely have the better laurels when it’s all said and done at this rate with that determination.

His mentality and relentlessness is unmatched and quite frankly at a level never seen before. The type of leader and accountability he has vs Messi isn’t even up for debate as it’d be an embarrassment to even begin comparing.
Won't comment about Messi, but Cristiano definitely has improved his leadership skills by many folds in the last 3-4 years. Advancing beyond 30 has almost made him a wiser man. He has come a long way!

A-boateng

It’s the trend, don’t you know?

Exonerate Messi of all accountability and don’t even give him an ounce of blame. Nothing ever was his fault, is his fault, or will be his fault - never. And the ‘crappy Barca’ squad bs is one of the most hysterical excuses ever.

:lol:

It’s unfortunate though how if me or someone else mentions something along those lines it’s deemed unacceptable or trolling or whatever they want to call it - just because it goes against their belief. Don’t get what’s so hard to just say ‘yea, you know what he doesn’t have a terrible squad by any means and if anything it’s more than capable of winning as any other club in the world’.
It's a team game

I don't see why either should be blamed at all when they lose.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Pele did play for Brazil not Portugal !

If Ronny played for Brazil or Germany would he have won a World Cup ? .
George best never even went to a World Cup still one of the worlds best players
Yes one of, but not the best. Ronaldo is definitely top 5 but number 1 no chance in my opinion. Debatable over who is the best but most would say Pele and Maradona, Messi and Ronaldo just behind, along with Cruyff to make up the top 5.

Best, Eusebio, Beckenbauer, Di Stefano, Puskas probably make the top 10.

But it is all debatable. Just because the majority have a certain opinion still doesn’t make it correct.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Well, Buffon has consistently performed on UCL KO-stage whereas Zlatan has been pretty much underwhelming on that area.

And Benzema being 5th top scorer in CL history is actually an incredible achivement considering he was the 2nd or even 3rd fiddle for a majority of his career, never took penalties/freekicks to inflate goal tally etc.

Zlatan & Henry may have been better goalscorers than Benz, which doesn't say much since they used to be the focal points for a big part of their respective careers.

Ronaldo has the same status as them at Madrid and his numbers completely obliterate them.
You could argue then that Ron only has the amount of goals that he does because his team are so good going forward. Because Benzema is 5th all time and not because he is the 5th best striker in CL history, his team are just great going forward.

Put Prime Zlatan or Henry in the Madrid team for the time Benzema has been there and they beat his CL goal tally hands down imo.

Not saying that is the reason why Ron has the amount of goals that he does. But you could argue he wouldn’t be anywhere near his goal tally if he wasn’t in this Madrid team.

VP

FFS - let's give him the Nobel peace prize while we're at it.

He's definitely improved but where was this leadership and relentlessness in the league?

Cal?

CR7 fan

JBD-dane

Messi basically won feck all in 2012.

Let's face it, the CDR played no part in him winning it. The 91 goals did.
Okay fair! On the other hand, this was the season he scored incredible 73 goals!

El Pasillo

Yeah, Ronaldo is unreal for ages now and will be rightfully go down as the best/greatest player in RM's history when it's all said and done.

Having said that, let's not discredit his teammates who are incredible players in their own rights.

You could argue then that Ron only has the amount of goals that he does because his team are so good going forward. Because Benzema is 5th all time and not because he is the 5th best striker in CL history, his team are just great going forward.

Put Prime Zlatan or Henry in the Madrid team for the time Benzema has been there and they beat his CL goal tally hands down imo.

Not saying that is the reason why Ron has the amount of goals that he does. But you could argue he wouldn’t be anywhere near his goal tally if he wasn’t in this Madrid team.
And Benzema is a huge reason why RM are doing so well offensively, just like it's been the case for years now...

Neither of these claims towards either Ronaldo or Benzema doesn't even have slightest of truth.

Both of them are have delivered in Europe and are the main reasons why RM are winning 4 UCls in 3 years, especially Ronaldo who's a freak of nature.

The likes of Prime Zlatan & Henry were indeed amazing, but neither of them were better footballers than Benz in term of general play and wouldn't fit in as well.

Both of them thrived to be the main man, a luxury they wouldn't get at RM since Ronaldo is/was comfortably better than Zlatan & Henry.

Even someone like Higuain, a guy who has scored more than 100 Serie A goals and broke a 65+ old record for scoring most goals in a single season, got sold to make Benzema the undisputed starter for RM despite being a better finisher than him.

Last edited:

fck

Supports
Bayern
Sometimes I wonder if it impacts your viewpoint if you played the game yourself because one thing you learn pretty quickly is that the guy who scores the most is not necessarily the best player. Actually in all my years playing I don’t remember one year where our top scorer was the best player on my team. So anybody who uses goals, assists and whoscored ratings to compare players doesn’t seem, or want, to understand the nuances of the game. Ronaldo is a great great player (top5 imo) but Messi could have scored 200 less and he would still be the better player for me.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
And Benzema is a huge reason why RM are doing so well offensively, just like it's been the case for years now...

Neither of these claims towards either Ronaldo or Benzema doesn't even have slightest of truth.

Both of them are have delivered in Europe and are the main reasons why RM are winning 4 UCls in 3 years, especially Ronaldo who's a freak of nature.

The likes of Prime Zlatan & Henry were indeed amazing, but neither of them were better footballers than Benz in term of general play and wouldn't fit in as well.

Both of them thrived to be the main man, a luxury they wouldn't get at RM since Ronaldo is/was comfortably better than Zlatan & Henry.

Even someone like Higuain, a guy who has scored more than 100 Serie A goals and broke a 65+ old record for scoring most goals in a single season, got sold to make Benzema the undisputed starter for RM despite being a better finisher than him.
I wasn't saying the argument is true because there is no way to prove it.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
If Real win the CL, Ronaldo wins the Ballon D'or. Real don't win it then Messi wins the Ballon D'or.

However if Real do win it then it is not a given that Ronaldo wins it. Especially When Barcelona will most likely win the double this year.

Depends on how they do in the WC as well.

Siddharth Sekhar

Yeah, Ronaldo is unreal for ages now and will be rightfully go down as the best/greatest player in RM's history when it's all said and done.

Having said that, let's not discredit his teammates who are incredible players in their own rights.

You're right, I should have phrased that better. That team is built to get the most out of him, and he delivers time after time. Have a look at these stats, which are unreal.

Champions League QF to Final Goals, last 7 seasons:
30 - Cristiano Ronaldo.
10 - Robert Lewandowski.
9 - Thomas Müller.
8 - Neymar.
7 - Mario Mandzukic.
6 - Arjen Robben, Luis Suarez.
5 - Karim Benzema, Sergio Ramos, Antoine Griezmann, Leo Messi.
That is ridiculous. Seriously.

Source : @AdamJosephSport on Twitter, can't post links yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
...and like I’ve previously said, doesn’t that show how much Ronaldo has picked it up and Messi has stalled that even after such a horrendous start to the year he still has more goals than Messi? And again, just hysterical Barca/Messi fanbois are trying to argue success in the league vs mid table clubs should be held to a higher standard than Ronaldo scoring round after round whilst carrying Madrid at a historic pace/level never before seen in the CL vs the top European clubs in the world. This really is the twilight zone considering this is what the fanbois are grasping on to as an argument - at least in their eyes :wenger::wenger:

Ronaldo has scored more goals now yes, but as soon as the pressure was off the title race is when he started. Messi may have slowed down but the league was already wrapped up with such a points gap. Ronaldo scored a lot of league goals when it was not important anymore. It doesn't matter if they finish 4th or 2nd because they wouldn't achieve their objective of winning the league.

Everyone talks about Ronaldo being great under pressure so why did he bottle it in the league before Christmas?

Success in the league is better in my opinion. You may play a lot of average teams but if the team is not at their best for the most part then they don't win the league.

Real Madrid would get out of the group stage anyway, then they only have to play 7 games to win it.

They have beat PSG and Juventus to get to the Semi, them two teams are close to the same level as Barcelona and Athletico, who Real play in the league.

Then say they beat Bayern and Roma to win it. Roma are close to Sevilla level. So the only team different from in La Liga that they have to beat is Bayern.

Also Real Madrid and Ronaldo played all these mid table and average teams, not just Barcelona and Messi. So if it was so easy why did Ron and Real Madrid not beat them all and fall far behind in the league?

Ronaldo was off form for 3-4 months this season, Messi has been off form for a couple of games. Yet Ron gets defended but Messi gets criticised. Ridiculous. It is obvious who has been the better player this season, because off form for so long is not even comparable to off form in a one off game against Roma.

Where was Ronaldo when Barca pummelled them 3-0 with Messi being Man of the Match? If Ron is such a big game player and Messi isn't why did one show up in that game and not the other? Just like Messi was unable to win the game vs Roma.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Why do people take this discussion so personally.. I honestly think Ronnie and I never thought I'd say this, has produced two iconic moments in both legs v Juve. They might not amount to anything if they go out, but at this stage in their careers.. yes the league is important, but it is those iconic moments which are really going to help elevate their greatness. That is the thing which the other GOATs have in their favour and on the big stage too.. Ronnie has grasped this and hence is reserving his energies for the big stages and Messi needs to bring it at the world cup, because if he gets outshone by Ronnie there too.. then this competition which has always been one-sided for me, might actually start getting closer.

Cal?

CR7 fan
...and like I’ve previously said, doesn’t that show how much Ronaldo has picked it up and Messi has stalled that even after such a horrendous start to the year he still has more goals than Messi? And again, just hysterical Barca/Messi fanbois are trying to argue success in the league vs mid table clubs should be held to a higher standard than Ronaldo scoring round after round whilst carrying Madrid at a historic pace/level never before seen in the CL vs the top European clubs in the world. This really is the twilight zone considering this is what the fanbois are grasping on to as an argument - at least in their eyes :wenger::wenger:

Ronaldo has scored more goals now yes, but as soon as the pressure was off the title race is when he started. Messi may have slowed down but the league was already wrapped up with such a points gap. Ronaldo scored a lot of league goals when it was not important anymore. It doesn't matter if they finish 4th or 2nd because they wouldn't achieve their objective of winning the league.

Everyone talks about Ronaldo being great under pressure so why did he bottle it in the league before Christmas?

Success in the league is better in my opinion. You may play a lot of average teams but if the team is not at their best for the most part then they don't win the league.

Real Madrid would get out of the group stage anyway, then they only have to play 7 games to win it.

They have beat PSG and Juventus to get to the Semi, them two teams are close to the same level as Barcelona and Athletico, who Real play in the league.

Then say they beat Bayern and Roma to win it. Roma are close to Sevilla level. So the only team different from in La Liga that they have to beat is Bayern.

Also Real Madrid and Ronaldo played all these mid table and average teams, not just Barcelona and Messi. So if it was so easy why did Ron and Real Madrid not beat them all and fall far behind in the league?

Ronaldo was off form for 3-4 months this season, Messi has been off form for a couple of games. Yet Ron gets defended but Messi gets criticised. Ridiculous. It is obvious who has been the better player this season, because off form for so long is not even comparable to off form in a one off game against Roma.

Where was Ronaldo when Barca pummelled them 3-0 with Messi being Man of the Match? If Ron is such a big game player and Messi isn't why did one show up in that game and not the other? Just like Messi was unable to win the game vs Roma.
You again try to make it sound like every football games is equal to each other, but that could not be further from the truth. Those 7 games in the CL are very much more important than the 38 in La Liga or Prem. Just like those 7 games in the World Cup are far more important than the 12/18 or whatever you play in the qualifiers.

Brazil blew through the qualifiers, but if they go out in the last 16 of the WC and Argentina (who struggled badly in the qualifiers) make the SF, will ANYONE claim Brazil has had the better 2 year cycle?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If Real win the CL, Ronaldo wins the Ballon D'or. Real don't win it then Messi wins the Ballon D'or.

However if Real do win it then it is not a given that Ronaldo wins it. Especially When Barcelona will most likely win the double this year.

Depends on how they do in the WC as well.
I wonder if Liverpool win CL, will Salah get Ballon D'or?

In terms of goals and individual brilliance, Salah wasn't that far away from Messi and Ronaldo this season

Cal?

CR7 fan

In terms of goals and individual brilliance, Salah wasn't that far away from Messi and Ronaldo this season
Liverpool are not going to win the CL. :nono:

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Wish noone would care about the Ballon D'Or anymore. if it is about the best player, why did Cannavaro win it? If it is about trophies, why didn't Iniesta and/or Xavi, Kroos, Robben, Sneijder etc. won at least one?
There is just no continuity in this award. One time they give it to the best player, then they give it to the best player of the best team. The latter is ridiculous in my eyes, but if they made this stupid decision, then stick with it.

Anyway, the problem is that it is majorly influenced by journalists who want to tell a story. Just a joke of a price.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
You again try to make it sound like every football games is equal to each other, but that could not be further from the truth. Those 7 games in the CL are very much more important than the 38 in La Liga or Prem. Just like those 7 games in the World Cup are far more important than the 12/18 or whatever you play in the qualifiers.

Brazil blew through the qualifiers, but if they go out in the last 16 of the WC and Argentina (who struggled badly in the qualifiers) make the SF, will ANYONE claim Brazil has had the better 2 year cycle?
There you go again dismissing it unless it fits your narrative.

If Ronaldo doesn't perform in a big game you have an excuse, but for Messi you are the first one to criticise..

So big games against rivals in the league is not important but a CL game is?

Big games if Ronaldo performs then they are important but when he doesn't perform or Messi does perform then they are not important.

You are just so selective as long as it fits your argument.

I don't even know why I continue to even reply to you when your bias is staggering.

Cal?

CR7 fan
There you go again dismissing it unless it fits your narrative.

If Ronaldo doesn't perform in a big game you have an excuse, but for Messi you are the first one to criticise..

So big games against rivals in the league is not important but a CL game is?

Big games if Ronaldo performs then they are important but when he doesn't perform or Messi does perform then they are not important.

I don't even know why I continue to even reply to you when your bias is staggering.
I could say exactly the same about you... ;)

If Messi doesn't perform in a big game you have an excuse, but for Cristiano you are the first one to criticise..

So CL knockout rounds is not important but a league game against rival is?

Big games if Messi performs then they are important but when he doesn't perform or Cristiano does perform then they are not important.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I could say exactly the same about you... ;)

If Messi doesn't perform in a big game you have an excuse, but for Cristiano you are the first one to criticise..

So CL knockout rounds is not important but a league game against rival is?

Big games if Messi performs then they are important but when he doesn't perform or Cristiano does perform then they are not important.

That is just immature.

I am glad to admit that Messi was poor against Roma and he hasn't been great in the latter stages of the CL the last few years.

But he has out performed Ronaldo this season. It is silly to argue against that.

It seems like you just copied what I said to deflect my point to be honest.

A-boateng

I hope Salah wins it. Then Messi and Ronaldo fans can stop arguing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cal?

CR7 fan
That is just immature.

I am glad to admit that Messi was poor against Roma and he hasn't been great in the latter stages of the CL the last few years.

But he has out performed Ronaldo this season. It is silly to argue against that.

It seems like you just copied what I said to deflect my point to be honest.
I have said many times that Ronaldo has had a poor domestic season, but I do not agree that over the whole season, Messi has been better.

Him being better in the league has led them to the La Liga title.

Ronaldo being better in the CL has led them to within 3 games of the CL.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Wish noone would care about the Ballon D'Or anymore. if it is about the best player, why did Cannavaro win it? If it is about trophies, why didn't Iniesta and/or Xavi, Kroos, Robben, Sneijder etc. won at least one?
There is just no continuity in this award. One time they give it to the best player, then they give it to the best player of the best team. The latter is ridiculous in my eyes, but if they made this stupid decision, then stick with it.

Anyway, the problem is that it is majorly influenced by journalists who want to tell a story. Just a joke of a price.
Now of course it's a joke, 6 years ago it was great. Right?

That's a great conspiracy right there, from Barcelona to Germany.

if it is about the best player, why did Cannavaro win it? If it is about trophies, why didn't Iniesta and/or Xavi, Kroos, Robben, Sneijder etc. won at least one?
Just because something is a factor doesn't make it the most important factor which you seem to always have trouble understanding. You made the same type of question yesterday when it doesn't make any sense.

They give it to the highest performing player taking into account how important each matches and competitions are, it's as simple as that even if they've got it wrong a couple of times. Then the players who played a big part in winning important trophies will get extra points because of it which is fair.

The only stupid thing about it is it’s awarded in January instead of July, the rest usually makes sense

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.