Messi or Ronaldo

• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SonnyTheHaloPro

"Van Gaal is David Moyes +£150million"
I felt so bad for Ronaldo in the world cup, even I would have been mad if I had the same team mates he had to play with.

Messi had Aguero whilst Ronaldo had Eder aka Tesco value Drogba

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
I posted in another thread about the extreme concentration of talent at the top clubs, which has reached unprecedented levels. I think what we're seeing with Messi and Ronaldo is a result of this. These 2 are enormously talented, but at club level they also have the benefit of being surrounded by 10 other guys who are arguably the world's top players in each position. Not taking anything away from their unbelievable goalscoring records, but I can't imagine this could happen in any previous era of the game. With their respective national teams, things look a bit more normal - both monstrous, legendary players - neither singlehandedly able to dominate the international game.

A point is often made in the whole Maradona v Pele debate that Pele had the benefit of being in a great Santos team a star-studded Brazil squad. Even that is nothing compared to the players that Messi and Ronaldo have to create space and opportunities for them. The fact that they stand out amongst other excellent players is a testament to their genius. But it doesn't change the fact that it pads their productivity and enables them to reach even greater heights than they could in a more egalitarian era.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Compared to a competition that has Spain, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal in it, I'd say it's weak.

With Argentina, as I said I thought di Maria had a decent tournament, but I'll put him aside for a minute since some disagree with that. Rojo and Garay performed well at the back, Lavezzi did well too. I just don't see Messi really standing out from that team.

Just to clarify this for some slow ones in here: I'm not here to claim Ronaldo is better than Messi or that Messi isn't possibly the best player in the world right now. I just think all these claims of him being the best ever and not entirely justified since he also has flaws in his career. The same goes for Ronaldo for that matter.
Germany and Spain aside these teams are currently not really better than Brazil, Argentina and I'd say that Italy and France aren't much better than Colombia or Uruguay either. Obviously Euro has stronger teams, I won't argue against it but Copa America isn't awful.

Messi was considerably better than Lavezzi and especially Di Maria.

I find it really ridiculous that I've discussed that Messi, player who has consistently scored 70+ goals a season and has broken pretty much all record there were, all while being creative and essential to his team, cannot really be singled out for underachieving during his career and did pretty well in a tournament in which he was joint second top scorer and voted player of the tournament, and Guardiola who won 14 out of 18 available trophies, 3 out of 4 league titles and 2 out of 4 CL trophies during his time at Barcelona didn't actually UNDERACHIEVE there. It's so difficult to discuss Barcelona and Messi because it seems like people can't really accept how good they are or were.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Germany and Spain aside these teams are currently not really better than Brazil, Argentina and I'd say that Italy and France aren't much better than Colombia or Uruguay either. Obviously Euro has stronger teams, I won't argue against it but Copa America isn't awful.

Messi was considerably better than Lavezzi and especially Di Maria.

I find it really ridiculous that I've discussed that Messi, player who has consistently scored 70+ goals a season and has broken pretty much all record there were, all while being creative and essential to his team, cannot really be singled out for underachieving during his career and did pretty well in a tournament in which he was joint second top scorer and voted player of the tournament, and Guardiola who won 14 out of 18 available trophies, 3 out of 4 league titles and 2 out of 4 CL trophies during his time at Barcelona didn't actually UNDERACHIEVE there. It's so difficult to discuss Barcelona and Messi because it seems like people can't really accept how good they are or were.
Compared to the Euros, the competition in the Copa is poor in my opinion since the Euro simply has stronger teams overall. When you reach deeper, you'll find Bolivia and Costa Rica at the CA while at the Euros, you'll still have decent teams. There's just rarely a really easy opponent.

As I've said, Messi the Barca player has been superb, I never debated that. I also won't debate Guardiola's qualities and consider the current criticism he faces to be ridiculous. I just wanted to discuss the point that Messi's superb performances have only come at Barcelona and no where else. Unfortunately, there is only the national team to be had and while he hasn't been poor to the degree of Aguero at the last WC for example, he's also not been that great. One can discuss how good he was, but the point stands that the Argentina Messi isn't close to as good as the Barcelona Messi, which obviously is also a result of the Barcelona Messi being that good.

Nonetheless, there are players who have been equally superb for different clubs and their respective countries, with Zidane and the Brazilian Ronaldo being examples that aren't too far in the past. So my point is still: What makes Messi and even Ronaldo for that matter clearly better than those two?

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
How can a debate over the better player between Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo last 50 pages..

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
I felt so bad for Ronaldo in the world cup, even I would have been mad if I had the same team mates he had to play with.

Messi had Aguero whilst Ronaldo had Eder aka Tesco value Drogba
madder than having great team mates that dont perform well at all?

in paper we had one of the best attacking sides in the world cup, still, messi scored half of our goals

but HE is the one that didnt perform for argentina

HE lost the world cup for us

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Compared to the Euros, the competition in the Copa is poor in my opinion since the Euro simply has stronger teams overall. When you reach deeper, you'll find Bolivia and Costa Rica at the CA while at the Euros, you'll still have decent teams. There's just rarely a really easy opponent.

As I've said, Messi the Barca player has been superb, I never debated that. I also won't debate Guardiola's qualities and consider the current criticism he faces to be ridiculous. I just wanted to discuss the point that Messi's superb performances have only come at Barcelona and no where else. Unfortunately, there is only the national team to be had and while he hasn't been poor to the degree of Aguero at the last WC for example, he's also not been that great. One can discuss how good he was, but the point stands that the Argentina Messi isn't close to as good as the Barcelona Messi, which obviously is also a result of the Barcelona Messi being that good.

Nonetheless, there are players who have been equally superb for different clubs and their respective countries, with Zidane and the Brazilian Ronaldo being examples that aren't too far in the past. So my point is still: What makes Messi and even Ronaldo for that matter clearly better than those two?
Costa Rica is not a south american country

how did you find it?

and even if they were, they qualified for the next stage of last world cup along with uruguay in a group that included Italy and England

but dont let facts get in the way of your ideas

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Costa Rica were in the World Cup quarterfinal last year after knocking out Italy, England and Greece and only lost to Netherlands on penalties. They are not a bad team. On the other hand we've had teams like Poland, Latvia, Slovenia and Ireland at Euros - none of them really very good and there are bound to be more at the next tournament with 24 teams there.

I am not arguing that Copa America is better, I am saying that it's a good competition that cannot be discounted, and the only regional compeition Messi can play in.

It's that they (especially Messi) have produced much, much more at club level than either of them and in terms of national teams both have been hugely let down by either quality or management of their national teams so I don't think it's a fair ground for comparison. Messi's international struges have been hugely blown out of proportion IMO, at the last World Cup the only thing missing was the gold medal and perhaps a goal in the final. He wasn't at his very best but he was good nonetheless.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
If you're talking about me, I'm not taking any corner. I don't give enough of a f*** to debate who's better between the two. I'm just here because I don't see either of them being as good as they're sometimes hyped to be. I think with the emergence of social media and video availability, players in today's era are being praised a lot more than years ago. I just don't see what Messi or Ronaldo so clearly hold over the likes of Zidane and the Brazilian Ronaldo for example.
Just one type was missing. Voila.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I could never understand that shite. When Stoke on a cold winters night weren't much of a challenge to Valencia a few years ago I'd say Messi would have a mighty time against them.
Some long forgotten poster on the caf nailed it many years ago:

Stoke would be lucky to win a throw in against Barcelona.

RedStarUnited

From the guy who trained and managed Ronaldo....

This season was the first season for many, many years that I wasn't there, but, watching Messi, you don't miss being there!

You enjoy it so much that you don't think about not being there. You just think about what the guy did.

One thing is a team; another thing is a team with Messi. It is a different story.

He played a Champions League final with [Pep] Guardiola, he is normally going to play in this season’s Champions League final with Luis Enrique and if, one day, he plays for Anthony, Anthony will go to a Champions League final with him. When people analyse teams, you have to remember that this boy makes everything different.

Every time I played against Messi, I spent hours studying and trying to stop him, Many times, we were successful. Other times, we were not successful. With Inter, we stopped him in both matches [of the semi-final].

The best way to do it is man-to-man because that is better than involving everyone. When you go man-to-man, you go with similar power – although man-to-man with him is an impossible job. Every time I was thinking about how best collectively – I am not saying stop him – to give him a difficult match. I think this is the correct word. It is not about stopping him but giving him a difficult match. That is the best you do against him.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I posted in another thread about the extreme concentration of talent at the top clubs, which has reached unprecedented levels. I think what we're seeing with Messi and Ronaldo is a result of this. These 2 are enormously talented, but at club level they also have the benefit of being surrounded by 10 other guys who are arguably the world's top players in each position. Not taking anything away from their unbelievable goalscoring records, but I can't imagine this could happen in any previous era of the game. With their respective national teams, things look a bit more normal - both monstrous, legendary players - neither singlehandedly able to dominate the international game.

A point is often made in the whole Maradona v Pele debate that Pele had the benefit of being in a great Santos team a star-studded Brazil squad. Even that is nothing compared to the players that Messi and Ronaldo have to create space and opportunities for them. The fact that they stand out amongst other excellent players is a testament to their genius. But it doesn't change the fact that it pads their productivity and enables them to reach even greater heights than they could in a more egalitarian era.
Pele's Brazil won the world cup without him. Barcelona has no chance in hell of winning anything without Messi.

Roman Bellic

Prick
What Mourinho says on this is pretty worthless, he had a poor relationship with Ronaldo by the end and Guardiola is a rival.
Doesn't take anything away from the comment,he didn't come across as having an agenda against anyone,he was talking about stopping Messi - he also spoke about his time at Inter which has nothing to do with Pep and Ronaldo.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
@Darwin09 I always thought about that, and I do find it strange how few times that point is brought up when comparing Ronaldo and Messi with other top players. It's the most oligopolistic era in football. I do think Messi and Ronaldo are probably up there, but the goalscoring records themselves are a product of more than just their talent.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
No he's not. And rightly so, because he didn't.
He did though, literally. Although he did correct himself with the word "giving him a difficult match" later on. But for me its a case of him praising Messi and even more so praising his own tactical genius of "stopping" him play.

This season was the first season for many, many years that I wasn't there, but, watching Messi, you don't miss being there!

You enjoy it so much that you don't think about not being there. You just think about what the guy did.

One thing is a team; another thing is a team with Messi. It is a different story.

He played a Champions League final with [Pep] Guardiola, he is normally going to play in this season’s Champions League final with Luis Enrique and if, one day, he plays for Anthony, Anthony will go to a Champions League final with him. When people analyse teams, you have to remember that this boy makes everything different.

Every time I played against Messi, I spent hours studying and trying to stop him, Many times, we were successful. Other times, we were not successful. With Inter, we stopped him in both matches [of the semi-final].

The best way to do it is man-to-man because that is better than involving everyone. When you go man-to-man, you go with similar power – although man-to-man with him is an impossible job. Every time I was thinking about how best collectively – I am not saying stop him – to give him a difficult match. I think this is the correct word. It is not about stopping him but giving him a difficult match. That is the best you do against him.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
He did though, literally. Although he did correct himself with the word "giving him a difficult match" later on.
Well no...If you read the quote you bolded he says he didn't always manage to stop him. He didn't stop him as a youngster when he played Chelsea (del Horno red card match) and he didn't stop him on a few occasions against Real Madrid.

"Other times, we were not successful"...

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Well no...If you read the quote you bolded he says he didn't always manage to stop him. He didn't stop him as a youngster when he played Chelsea (del Horno red card match) and he didn't stop him on a few occasions against Real Madrid.

"Other times, we were not successful"...
"Many times, we were successful..."

I don't know, "many times" sound like more for me, "other times" sounds like less....
If he say "many times they fail, other times they succeed" maybe then you are right...
But anyway, he did praise Messi highly there. Its just that I feel it is another subtle way of Mourinho to praise his own genius there...

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
"Many times, we were successful..."

I don't know, "many times" sound like more for me, "other times" sounds like less....
If he say "many times they fail, other times they succeed" maybe then you are right...
But anyway, he did praise Messi highly there. Its just that I feel it is another subtle way of Mourinho to praise his own genius there...
My point was that you said he said he always(key word) stopped him when he didn't suggest that.

Might well have been trying to praise his own genius though, yeah. He often does, but in fairness Miguel Delaney (who I assume the interview was with) says he was genuinely glowing about Messi rather than praising himself. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for once.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
He's "just" Ronaldo. Expectations set on him are too high. With scarcer service and much poorer players upfront with him his impact diminishes substantially, as he's incapable of running matches on his own, and he doesn't create something out of nothing that often. We can only see Real's Ronaldo on occasion, like against Sweden, because rarely the team will provide him that sort of chances (which weren't easy chances at all, it must be said). I think his productivity is perfectly acceptable given the circumstances. He's similar to what he looks when Real plays poorly, it's just that Portugal plays poorly a lot more often.

I don't see that much of Messi for Argentina so my sample is small and limited to the World Cup, but from what I saw I think he influences the team far more than Ronaldo. I think that's expectable because Messi is a better and more complete player by a comfortable distance, in my opinion at least. They both score and assist less than at club level, but Messi adds something beyond that which Ronaldo just can't do.

I have more problems with Ronaldo's attitude and demeanour than with his productivity. He's obviously not "captain material". The (admittedly subjective) impression I have is that he somehow blames his national team-mates for not being as good as his club team-mates. When things aren't going well he seems to pout instead of trying to lift the team's spirit and motivate them.
Agree completely with this.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
@Darwin09 I always thought about that, and I do find it strange how few times that point is brought up when comparing Ronaldo and Messi with other top players. It's the most oligopolistic era in football. I do think Messi and Ronaldo are probably up there, but the goalscoring records themselves are a product of more than just their talent.
Aye, I've often mentioned it as well. 1 plays for the most expensively assembled squad ever (RM) - FFS, their bench cost more than the entire squad of most other Liga clubs & the other had the benefit of almost a freak generation of players all coming through and peaking together - in a familiar system. & the 2-3 positions they didn't have quality players, they supplemented that by signing world class expensive players.

Their rate would be around a goal a game in just about any other league - which is still fantastic (maybe they'll still score tons at Bayern, seen how dominant they are in the Bundes).

Skorenzy

So just to add to it: If neither Ronaldo nor Messi have performed well for their respective national teams, how can they be the undisputed best players in the world? Especially if Messi has only really performed at his outstanding level while he was with Barcelona?
I'm just surprised Messi has never really performed as well as he did for Barcelona under different circumstances, which leads you to believe whether the system, the cohesiveness of a core that's been kept together for a while and his good teammates have contributed to his greatness there.

That's why I find it hard to just have Messi as clearly the best football in the world. His technical and finishing ability as well as his vision on the pitch are superb no doubt about it, but other players have superb qualities as well, his teammate Iniesta being one of them.

This suggests to me you haven't exactly been following Messi's NT career in any great detail, probably just the 2 World Cups he's been heavily involved in (based on your denigrating attitude towards la Copa in other posts...), and not his Barça career either. What he did in the group stages of the 2014 WC was exactly what he was doing for Barça between 2012 and 2014, playing well and deciding games often only in flashes. His best game at that tournament, the R16 encounter against Switzerland, was more of a precursor of what was to come this season for Barça (in terms of playmaking, influence on his team). The next games he struggled in the same way as he had done for Barça in his injury-hit 2013/14 season on several occasions. So, perfectly in keeping with his recent club form, in my opinion.

It seems to me that the (perfectly entitled) question of his level for club compared to NT is mostly just lazily looked at in terms of goal production. It's one thing to question this, but another entirely to mix it up with 'performance'. Another poster recently made this remark to which I replied,

Tell me which Argentina year he compared to one of his Barcelona peak years? There hasn't been one.
Skorenzy said:
2012, he was just as good for Argentina as for Barça in my opinion (perhaps even better). 9 games, 12 goals, including hat-tricks in friendlies against Switzerland and Brazil (a magnificent one that was), a great performance and a goal against Germany, and excellent performances against Uruguay, Chile, Paraguay, Peru and Ecuador in WC qualifying.

For me, personally, Messi was just as impressive (arguably even moreso) for Arg than for his club in 2012. In 2013-14, while not quite of the same quality as his NT performances in 2012, he was certainly playing at a more consistent level for Arg than for Barça. The thing is that he was enjoying his best ever goalscoring form for Barça in the period 2011-13, so people who didn't watch him for both club and country back then don't take performance into account, seemingly just goals. Yet in 2012 Messi added the goals he was scoring at Barça but delivered much more influential overall performances in much tougher circumstances, and still it is somehow completely overlooked. Like I said it's fair enough to question the discrepancy in goalscoring (though not that hard to explain either given the differences in role and set-up), but that has little to do with the quality of his performances for Arg in this period. And regarding his goalscoring: Messi maintained a 1.00 gpg average in the first two years under Sabella, which dropped to around 0.80 gpg after the third year when his goalscoring form at club level had similarly declined (Sabella was in charge in the period August 2011-July 2014).

Anyway, watch this video with just some highlights from those games and tell me again how he never got close to his Barça form for Arg...

Roman Bellic

Prick
Watch South American qualifiers/Argentina ?
"nope"
Messi's about to break the goal scoring record
"yeah,friendlies"
There aren't that many friendlies in a calendar year for him to be able to score 40+ goals in 8 years.
"He doesn't play like he does for Barca"
Watch South American qualifiers/Argentina ?
"nope.....REPEAT.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Youth tournaments are irrelevant, as are the Olympics since a lot of great players aren't involved there. The Copa America is also a weak tournament compared to the Euros for example.

As I said, I don't rate his 2014 WC performance highly, others contributed as much or more than he did.

As for the topscorer story, well Rooney is one of the topscorers for England and his national team career hasn't been great, so that's not much of a factor either.

I'm not trying to belittle Messi, I just don't see anything close to the magic he's performing with Barcelona during his spells with the national team.
next copa america will have the top scorers in england -aguero- italy -tevez- maybe spain -messi- plus neymar, suarez, vidal, alexis sanchez, James rodriguez

it also had maradona -who never won- pele and distefano

weak tournament my balls

and btw, to think that copa america is a weak tournament was acceptable before the 1980's when most of the players played in south america and the european ignorance of our football was "acceptable"

now that most of the players play in europe, your statement is plainly idiotic

Annahnomoss

Anyway, watch this video with just some highlights from those games and tell me again how he never got close to his Barça form for Arg...

Watched it. I think you really underrated Messi's peak for Barcelona if you think that this video shows he played at that level for Argentina. In the year 2011, Messi scored two goals in all real competitions - one against Chile and another against Columbia. Then further two goals in friendlies against Portugal and Albania. So he scored 4 goals in 13 games that year in comparison to his Barcelona peak where he scored 73 goals in 60 games on top of plenty of assists.

Scoring one goal per game of course wouldn't mean he was per default at the same level as for Barcelona anyhow. For Barcelona he was electrifying and threatening all games long. He was involved with plenty of great plays through-out the game whether he scored/assisted or not.

The discussion isn't whether or not Messi has had fantastic Friendly or qualification performances for Argentina. The only year he scored more than a goal per game for Argentina in 2012 he scored 6 goals in two friendly matches alone and he had his usual career average in the qualification matches beyond that.

People love to diss Neymar for having scored in so many friendly games as it distorted his goals per game ratio and the same applies to Messi's 2012 year.

Messi scored 6 goals in the qualification that year in comparison to Ibrahimovic who scored 5 - overall Messi scored one more goal than Ibrahimovic but played one more game.

Messi hence scored more than 50% of all his goals in 2012 from friendly matches. Yet it is supposed to prove that Messi was "as good" as his peak year for Barcelona - for Argentina.

Ronaldo for example scored 7 goals in official matches in 2013 and the same argument still applies to him. They've set ridiculous standards for themselves at club level that they haven't fulfilled at international level. There are other all-time legends who performed as well for their national team as they did for their club career.

Take Maradona in 1986, Platini in 1984 or whatever as examples and it becomes clear that they were as good if not better than for their club in that years performances. Platini scored 9 goals in the 1984 Euro alone, while being a player who was more involved with the overall play than Messi. He'd drop down in to central midfield, and was the main architect of the team too.

Anybody suggesting they've been as good for their national teams as their clubs is as crazy as anybody who would say they've played bad in comparison to other players of the current era.

Ibrahimovic(1.0 goals per game) for example has a better goalscoring ratio since 2012 than Messi(0.89) and Ronaldo (0.62). So if we judge players by their national peak Ibrahimovic has probably been the best performer since 2012 and he's not anywhere near Maradona/Platini/Pele either and nobody would be stupid enough to try and claim so.

If you want to claim Messi has been as good for his national team in official matches as Maradona/Platini/Pele then you haven't watched the latter play in their peak year/years or you are simply biased towards Ronaldo/Messi.

I've never seen anybody who has actually seen the full matches of Maradona/Platini/Pele in their peaks argue that Messi/Ronaldo reached that level yet, especially at the biggest stage.

Last edited:

Skorenzy

I think you really underrated Messi's peak for Barcelona if you think that this video shows he played at that level for Argentina.
Maybe. I don't really rate 2012 (or 2011-12) as Messi's best ever season, part of his (first?) peak, sure, but not the highest point which for me is 2009-10 and 2010-11. And in any case it's rather irrelevant anyway as it wouldn't change my view on him matching his club performance level in 2012 with his NT. Same for subsequent years/seasons except for the current one.

Scoring one goal per game of course wouldn't mean he was per default at the same level as for Barcelona anyhow
... I'm confused. That is exactly the point I made: "It's one thing to question this [goal production], but another entirely to mix it up with 'performance [level]'."
I merely noted his gpg under Sabella because a lot of people have no clue about his performances for Argentina and only see the drop in goalscoring (which is another discussion altogether). Also, you indeed seperate goalscoring and performance but then go on to compare Messi's, Cristiano's and Ibra's recent goalscoring records for their NTs as if that automatically has any bearing on the quality, influence and consistency of their performances.

On a sidenote: yes, all three of them have had great performances for the NT post-2012. No, not always with the same consistency as their club level, but for certain periods.

For Barcelona he was electrifying and threatening all games long. He was involved with plenty of great plays through-out the game whether he scored/assisted or not.
Not always, but by and large, yes. And I'm simply claiming that he did similarly for Argentina in 2012, with even more responsibility for creation from MF (unlike at Barça where he had Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets behind him) in a far less dominant side.

Take Maradona in 1986, Platini in 1984 or whatever as examples and it becomes clear that they were as good if not better than for their club in that years performances. Anybody suggesting they've been as good for their national teams as their clubs is as crazy as anybody who would say they've played bad in comparison to other players of the current era

If you want to claim Messi has been as good for his national team in official matches as Maradona/Platini/Pele then you haven't watched the latter play in their peak year/years or you are simply biased towards Ronaldo/Messi.

I've never seen anybody who has actually seen the full matches of Maradona/Platini/Pele in their peaks argue that Messi/Ronaldo reached that level yet, especially at the biggest stage.
... Again, confused. Where exactly did you gather this from? Where did I even allude to or imply any of this? My post never claimed anything about tournaments or past greats against whom his NT career is indeed average, I claimed only that he, in my opinion, more or less matched his own club performance level with the NT during the corresponding period, being 2011-14 (most of all in 2012).

Annahnomoss

Maybe. I don't really rate 2012 (or 2011-12) as Messi's best ever season, part of his (first?) peak, sure, but not the highest point which for me is 2009-10 and 2010-11. And in any case it's rather irrelevant anyway as it wouldn't change my view on him matching his club performance level in 2012 with his NT. Same for subsequent years/seasons except for the current one.

... Again, confused. Where exactly did you gather this from? Where did I even allude to or imply any of this? My post never claimed anything about tournaments or past greats against whom his NT career is indeed average, I claimed only that he, in my opinion, more or less matched his own club performance level with the NT during the corresponding period, being 2011-14 (most of all in 2012).
I don't think my opinion on how Messi's club peak is worth any more than yours I am sure you have watched him extensively.

But then there is no question that I rate Messi's club career peak higher than you, and hence the disagreement/confusion. I think he has been as good as the very best for his club and his club peak puts him up with the very best of all time. So in my mind - if he had equaled that for the national team his NT peak would have actually compared to that of the very best in history like Platini/Maradona/Pele.

... I'm confused. That is exactly the point I made: "It's one thing to question this [goal production], but another entirely to mix it up with 'performance [level]'."
I merely noted his gpg under Sabella because a lot of people have no clue about his performances for Argentina and only see the drop in goalscoring (which is another discussion altogether). Also, you indeed seperate goalscoring and performance but then go on to compare Messi's, Cristiano's and Ibra's recent goalscoring records for their NTs as if that automatically has any bearing on the quality, influence and consistency of their performances.
I didn't mean that goal production was a deciding factor, just wanted to show that neither Messi or Ronaldo are performing at some sort of all-time legend just based on goals. When someone like Ibrahimovic has done even better in terms of goals when he plays for a much inferior team, with much lesser players around him and who face teams that are relatively to themselves much better. Neymar could also be used as an example of someone who is up there with Messi and Ronaldo in terms of goals per game.

Ronaldo and Messi aren't the incomparable gods for their national team as for the club team. At the national level there is a discussion to be had that involves more than just Ibrahimovic like Neymar, Neuer, Robben etc. For me at least, but then I nerd a lot of old matches for the drafts on here which has great discussion/presentations of the older players. At club level there isn't a discussion to be had as they've outperformed the rest completely.

With the Euro draft on it was just some days ago that I last saw Platini play in 1984, Suarez Miramontes in 1964, Dzajic in 1968.

Status
Not open for further replies.