• Messi

• Ronaldo

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Random for him to say Messi is the best in the world when he’s been a huge Ronaldo fan his whole life. It wasn’t like he was asked point blank who the best player in the world is. Having said that, teammates will always prop up other teammates
He’s his teammate, that’s what teammates say to journalists. It doesn’t really mean anything

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Leads the CL in all time game winning goals with 42.
So that’s the entirety of the history of the sport is it? Just say he’s the biggest match winner in the history of the champions league and leave it at that. Instead of making patently false statements.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
So that’s the entirety of the history of the sport is it? Just say he’s the biggest match winner in the history of the champions league and leave it at that. Instead of making patently false statements.
Time and time again it’s just always him.

Which emphasizes my point of one game to decide it all and you can only pick between Ronaldo or Messi its Ronaldo every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

cyberman

CL match at home against opponents of similar caliber (you can even argue Leipzig > Atalanta given their performance past 2 seasons in Europe).

Messi scored 2 goals from a losing position to win the match, *crickets*

Ronaldo scored the game winning goal at 2-2, ‘biggest match winner in the history of the sport’

Almost as if fanboyism reduces your capacity to think.
There is a reason why Messi CL performances aren’t as hyped as Ronaldo. One is the CL goat and you just have to give it to him.

mu4c_20le

Oh come on.. if that were Messi you'd be singing a different tune

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Time and time again it’s just always him.

Which emphasizes my point of one game to decide it all and you can only pick between Ronaldo or Messi its Ronaldo every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
I’d pick Messi out of those two seeing as he has more trophies and more career G/A in 150 less games but that’s just me, people can choose otherwise.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Oh come on.. if that were Messi you'd be singing a different tune
When have I ever said that Messi is the biggest match winner in the history of the sport? Please find the post where I said that, I’d be interested to read it. I actually respect the history of this game.

mu4c_20le

When have I ever said that Messi is the biggest match winner in the history of the sport? Please find the post where I said that, I’d be interested to read it. I actually respect the history of this game.
I meant if Messi was the one constantly scoring these match winners you would not be dismissing it like that.

cyberman

You don’t think that scoring 800 odd goals makes you the biggest match winner in the game? A lot of 2nd goal in 3 goal wins in there huh?

fck

Supports
Bayern
CL match at home against opponents of similar caliber (you can even argue Leipzig > Atalanta given their performance past 2 seasons in Europe).

Messi scored 2 goals from a losing position to win the match, *crickets*

Ronaldo scored the game winning goal at 2-2, ‘biggest match winner in the history of the sport’

Almost as if fanboyism reduces your capacity to think.
well it's a United forum but yes Ronaldo fans are in general more fanatical. Great header for the win but I'm not sure this thread needs to be bumped after every goal.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You don’t think that scoring 800 odd goals makes you the biggest match winner in the game? A lot of 2nd goal in 3 goal wins in there huh?
No I don’t. Plenty of players have scored 800 goals. Some of them have actually scored winning goals in big international games as well.

InfiniteBoredom

There is a reason why Messi CL performances aren’t as hyped as Ronaldo. One is the CL goat and you just have to give it to him.
Because we as a species have the collective memory of a goldfish. I'd easily take Messi solo goal against Madrid in 2011 against any of Ronaldo's CL performance to date. Hell, he destroyed us in 08 and because we went through, it doesnt get talked about.

There's more to this sport than who grabs the headlines.

cyberman

No I don’t. Plenty of players have scored 800 goals. Some of them have actually scored winning goals in big international games as well.
Plenty of players?
Ok then. Plenty score 115 odd goals for their country as well i suppose but I see you’ve subtly moved the goalposts on that as well.
Only match winners in games that I approve of!!!!

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
I meant if Messi was the one constantly scoring these match winners you would not be dismissing it like that.
Messi has scored 39 match winning goals in the CL. I’ve rarely said a word about any of them. Including the ones last night.

cyberman

Because we as a species have the collective memory of a goldfish. I'd easily take Messi solo goal against Madrid in 2011 against any of Ronaldo's CL performance to date. Hell, he destroyed us in 08 and because we went through, it doesnt get talked about.

There's more to this sport than who grabs the headlines.
That’s the problem with Messi. His iconic CL performances are spaoridic for a while now.
I’m sure there’s a thread from 13 years ago that are full of praise for Messis goal in 08. Meanwhile Ronaldo won has 4 CLs since 2011 and dominated Europe since

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
He's less clinical than Messi though if you consider their ratio of shots to goal, that can't be ignored either. Ronaldo often takes more shot than his whole team combined, i understand his hunger for goals but one can't ignore the fact that when you take as much shots (on and off target), it increases your chances of scoring.

That been said, Ronaldo's a great goal scorer. But Messi not only scores as much but is also a way better playmaker which gives him more responsibility in the teams performances, which IMO makes him the better player of the two.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Plenty of players?
Ok then. Plenty score 115 odd goals for their country as well i suppose but I see you’ve subtly moved the goalposts on that as well.
Only match winners in games that I approve of!!!!
I haven’t moved any goal posts.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
That’s the problem with Messi. His iconic CL performances are spaoridic for a while now.
I’m sure there’s a thread from 13 years ago that are full of praise for Messis goal in 08. Meanwhile Ronaldo won has 4 CLs since 2011 and dominated Europe since
And Ronaldo’s were sporadic when Messi was winning 4 straight Ballon D’Ors. Why does doing it more recently count for more?

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I don't know what the stats are in this case and i may be wrong, but i'm willing to bet that since 2011, Messi has won more (or atleast as much) MOM trophies as Ronaldo in CL...

InfiniteBoredom

That's the issue, two people can have the same amount of memorable match winning performances, but the one with the more recent ones will have the edge. It's just recency bias.

And Messi had plenty of great performances in recent years, it got overshadowed when his team played like shit and got dumped out i.e Liverpool 2019, while Ronaldo could stink up the place in multiple knockout matches/finals but as long as his team won, he is 'Mr Champions League', 'most clutch player of all time'. 'best matchwinner in the history of the sport'.

I don't even bother to post in this thread most of the time, but sometimes the circular reasoning is just too much to handle.

cyberman

I don't know what the stats are in this case and i may be wrong, but i'm willing to bet that since 2011, Messi has won more (or atleast as much) MOM trophies as Ronaldo in CL...
That could be down to Madrid having better players around him etc and having MOTM spread out such as Grealish standing out individually at Villa but having that tempered a bit in a better side
I’m willing to bet Messi played in a lot more losses than Ronaldo since then as well but it’s beyond ridiculous to even hint at Messi being a better CL player than Ronaldo since 2011. We may never see Cristiano run ever again

cyberman

That's the issue, two people can have the same amount of memorable match winning performances, but the one with the more recent ones will have the edge. It's just recency bias.

And Messi had plenty of great performances in recent years, it got overshadowed when his team played like shit and got dumped out i.e Liverpool 2019, while Ronaldo could stink up the place in multiple knockout matches/finals but as long as his team won, he is 'Mr Champions League', 'most clutch player of all time'. 'best matchwinner in the history of the sport'.

I don't even bother to post in this thread most of the time, but sometimes the circular reasoning is just too much to handle.
But this is under the guise that Ronaldo didn’t put up his own argument in 08 etc as well which he most certainly did? You literally picked out a 42 goal season from him in 08 in a year we won the CL and he scored in the final and gave a big moment to Messi. See how that doesn’t make sense?
Ronaldo did score a scary amount of goals that brought Madrid though so it’s not as if he was hiding behind the team winning, he was why the team was winning. 135 goals in CL. Almost twice as many as Lewandowski. The numbers are mind boggling so it’s not recency bias and it’s only recency bias if you think an entire decade of this counts as recent.
Look at that stat posted above, most game winning goals in CL in history. It’s childish to argue against that

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
That could be down to Madrid having better players around him etc and having MOTM spread out such as Grealish standing out individually at Villa but having that tempered a bit in a better side
I’m willing to bet Messi played in a lot more losses than Ronaldo since then as well but it’s beyond ridiculous to even hint at Messi being a better CL player than Ronaldo since 2011. We may never see Cristiano run ever again
Since 2011? He didn’t win the CL between 2008 and 2014.

cyberman

He's less clinical than Messi though if you consider their ratio of shots to goal, that can't be ignored either. Ronaldo often takes more shot than his whole team combined, i understand his hunger for goals but one can't ignore the fact that when you take as much shots (on and off target), it increases your chances of scoring.

That been said, Ronaldo's a great goal scorer. But Messi not only scores as much but is also a way better playmaker which gives him more responsibility in the teams performances, which IMO makes him the better player of the two.
I get your point but taking more shots doesn’t get you 800 goals! It just means he gets in better goal scoring positions imo. I’d also bet Ronaldo has left a lot more goals on the table than Messi has funnily enough due to the positions he gets in.
Here’s a shocking little stat, Ronaldo has more goals and assists than Messi in CL. You would think Messi has a lot more assists but it’s not true.
On another note it says Messi has 45 assists which seems kind of low for a 18 year career in CL? That’s like 3 a season. Ronaldo is only fractionally more.just shows what a high standard it is

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I would have sworn that Messi won 2 CLs and reached a lot of semi finals in that period.

And what does Madrid having better players have to do with it? Even with Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Suarez, Messi was the one who often won the MOM trophy.
The thing is that Messi could win MOM trophy without scoring a goal because of his general play, and that was/is rarely ever the case for Ronaldo.

InfiniteBoredom

But this is under the guise that Ronaldo didn’t put up his own argument in 08 etc as well which he most certainly did? You literally picked out a 42 goal season from him in 08 in a year we won the CL and he scored in the final and gave a big moment to Messi. See how that doesn’t make sense?
It makes sense if you don't boil everything down to this pathetic 1v1 debate. Players can have monster performances and see their team go out, players can have bad performances but got through through collective team effort, or rub of the green. Football is played with 22 players on the pitch, not 2. And I picked that performance to illustrate that point, the two of them went head to head, one was by far the better player in the match but lost because someone else on United side stepped up and as a team we defended well, so by your definition Ronaldo was more 'clutch' then?

footballistic orgasm

Supports
No team in particular
I get your point but taking more shots doesn’t get you 800 goals! It just means he gets in better goal scoring positions imo. I’d also bet Ronaldo has left a lot more goals on the table than Messi has funnily enough due to the positions he gets in.
Here’s a shocking little stat, Ronaldo has more goals and assists than Messi in CL. You would think Messi has a lot more assists but it’s not true.
On another note it says Messi has 45 assists which seems kind of low for a 18 year career in CL? That’s like 3 a season. Ronaldo is only fractionally more.just shows what a high standard it is
Having played how many more games than Messi?

cyberman

It makes sense if you don't boil everything down to this pathetic 1v1 debate. Players can have monster performances and see their team go out, players can have bad performances but got through through collective team effort, or rub of the green. Football is played with 22 players on the pitch, not 2. And I picked that performance to illustrate that point, the two of them went head to head, one was by far the better player in the match but lost because someone else on United side stepped up and as a team we defended well, so by your definition Ronaldo was more 'clutch' then?
Games are played with 11 players but you can analyse who is displaying monster consistency in that side as well. There’s 11 players playing for Liverpool but Salah is the best player in the world at the minute. There were 11 players playing for Barca but Xavi is the greatest midfielder I have ever seen. All performances aren’t equal. Ronaldo has the team and individual awards to back any argument up. There’s no getting around that. Ronaldo can’t be lucky 135 times with 5 CL wins to his name. That’s some run of luck.
Throughout his career his team cleans up on the pitch and he cleans up the individual awards off it. He covers all bases.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
You immediately limited international goals to so called big games because you knew what answer was coming your way.
No I didn’t. I raised a point that I’ve often raised about Ronaldo not scoring match winning goals in international KO games. Because Sporting claims that he has the Skip Bayless coined ‘clutch gene.’ Which is fine, but that gene is not supposed to disappear every time he comes up against Belgium in the Euros. Or Greece in the Euros. Or Uruguay in the World Cup. Or Spain in the World Cup. Or…..

Status
Not open for further replies.